TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2

Cool, thanks. I'll be extra-careful with that mission, but a patch would be nice. I can't remember how good Rockstar has been in the past with respect to patches - how frequently they issue a patch, how well issues are addressed. GTA 5 seemed to get update twice a week for a while, but it's not like they patched some of the most egregious issues with MP, for instance.

Well, I've now got past the bugged mission and got it done without having to restart at the checkpoint (I think the first time I lost the dude on the horse who thought he'd recognised me), so everyone who whould be at the camp is there.

My encounter with the legendary bear didn't go so well this time, though, so I'll have to return to claim that particular teddy's prize pelt.

Thing What Kicks
    I've been distracted from RDR2 by something shiny (namely: 47's bald pate), but I think I'm two-thirds to three-quarters of the way through, so I may just power onwards this weekend. That's if I don't get distracted trying to kill sodding cougars with a sodding bow.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I actually haven't robbed the bank in Valentine, how did you activate that quest? I' ve moved on to the next camp now tho, so I wonder if I even still have that option.

These Eurogamer RDR2 challenge videos are pretty great btw. Very informative, mainly in showing what not to do.

In all fairness, robbing a store and making a clean getaway is pretty tough, took me 3-4 attempts before I managed to do it perfectly. The key is preparation! Here's what to remember:

1. put on clothes that noone in town has seen you in previously, and also get a different horse if you can.
    2. scope out the place, mark all the exits, and plan out a getaway route out of town before going in.
    3. heal yourself and give your horse some stimulants before getting started.
    4. remember to put on the bandana!

Thing What Kicks
    The bank robbery is actually after you leave Horseshoe Overlook. You go back to finish business.

I'm only 1-2 hours away from where I was when I restarted due to the Great Vanishing. All in all, I'm quite glad I did restart, because I think I got more out of chapter 2 because I'd already learnt how the game works and what its idiosyncrasies are.

One thing I was wondering: do any of you have any tips concerning hunting and in particular getting all the required materials for the satchel upgrades? With most of the animals I wouldn't even know where to look for them, and even just obtaining the required number of perfect deer skins strikes me as quite the endeavour. Or does it make sense to wait and do these things later in the game?

Thing What Kicks
    Deer are quite common, and when you see one, there's usually 3-4 of them, with one pretty much guaranteed to be a pristine specimen. You can take them out from horseback using the Springfield and focus.
    Boars are a little less common and harder to target, but again, the Springfield pretty much guarantees a perfect pelt if you hit them in a critical spot.

Also, while you can only carry one large pelt (elk, alligator, moose, etc.), there doesn't seem to be a limit on smaller ones, and they can sit underneath a large one on your horse.

And I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you're going out specifically to hunt, it's worth taming a wild horse while you're out and about, as you can use that to store an extra large pelt and more normal ones.

As to where to find animals, once you've killed one, it'll generally mark that area on your map as being the habitat for that animal.

The hardest ones to find are the large predators. While black bears can be quite common in certain areas of the map (and less dangerous to hunt as they almost always run away from you), grizzlies, cougars and panthers can be a pain in the arse to find, and once you do, good luck getting a pristine kill if they spot you. If you somehow manage to sneak up on one, an improved arrow to the head is a guaranteed kill. Well, it is on cougars, for sure. Haven't had the chance to sneak up on a grizzly.
    The special predator bait doesn't seem to help either, as it typically ends up attracting a damn coyote or fox.

The exceptions to those are wolves and gators. Wolves generally find you, and are pretty easy to deal with as long as you keep your calm. And gators stay still most of the time and are incredibly common around Saint Denis. You can't walk more than a few yards without stumbling across one.

Snakes and small birds however are a pain in the arse. Snakes because they're frequently swimming, and getting a clean kill on a swimming snake is nigh on impossible, and trying to tell the difference between small birds is a pointless endeavour. So if you need a specific small bird, pretty much just kill every small bird you some across.

Thanks, those are all very useful. I have this habit with open-world games offering such upgrades that I tend to get carried away early in the game trying to get most or all of them, which means that you'll get inexperienced greenhorn Thirith trying to face down bears three times his size with a varmint rifle (or, in other games, trying to kill a Great White Shark with a toothpick).

Thing What Kicks
    I know what you mean. Most of my time playing the game has been hunting, or getting distracted from what I should be doing by hunting, all in order to get those satchels.
    I'm currently working on getting the very last one, but it requires 5 pristine cougar pelts, and I've got one. I've been killed by more cougars than I've killed.
    The one pristine pelt I got, I had been killing lots of large animals around the western-most trapper. I circled back around to a carcass I'd skinned earlier, only to find a cougar feeding off of it. That allowed me to shoot it in the head while it was distracted by food.
    So yeah, large animal carcasses are probably the best bait for cougars. Definitely easier to find than the specific fish meat you need for special predator bait.

In the meantime I've become better at successfully hunting for perfect pelts, mostly thanks to the buck antler talisman. I've even crafted my first upgraded satchel, and bison have finally begun showing up, so I foresee some hunting in Arthur's future.

I also foresee a lot of work to get the money to pay the $300 bounty I got thanks to that no-good asshat Micah. I wish I could've left him to rot in jail.

With this success, do you believe it's possible that they may port over the first game as well? I'm not speaking of streaming the game.

Thing What Kicks
    There's not even anything solid about there being a PC port of the second game, mostly just wishful thinking on the community's behalf.
    And from what I understand of it, the codebase for RDR1 was a bit of a tangled mess, which was the main reason it never got ported to PC.
    So yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Chakat sex pillow
    RDR2 will most probably be ported to the PC, because god knows people have been whinging about RDR1's lack of a port long enough. Also because R* would be stupid to not mine the additional revenue from the platform once RDR Online settles down, just like they launched GTA 5 a year later on PC when the infrastructure was complete.

RE: that leak about some code pointing to a PC version, it could just be from a lack of development version housecleaning, but it could also be because they're actually working on it.

Also whoops, didn't read that close enough. Yeah, forget about getting a port of RDR1. They would've done it by now if they were going to.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 4th Dec 2018 at 06:54.

So, since I'm in the waiting-for-the-PC-port camp, quick question to get an idea of where this game falls in the pantheon of open world games... How does this compare with Skyrim & GTAV as an open world game? Does RDR2's world feel as big/not as big, as alive/not as alive, etc, and is its gameplay, missions, & story as fun/not as fun, epic/not as epic etc, etc?

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's frickin huge. I think partly because traveling by horseback being slow, and fast travel being practically nonexistent. I've played for 30-40 hours and I think I may have uncovered less than half of the map. There's so much stuff to do outside of story missions that I'm still not very far(only just did the Valentine bank robbery). Characters are well written, tho I'm not sure about the overarching story. Story missions have plenty of cool setpieces and variety but are frustratingly linear and allow for no creativity from the player.

Thing What Kicks
    It's nothing like a Skyrim, but while it does share some of its DNA with GTA (the aforementioned linear missions, clunky controls, best-in-class animation), it's pretty far from a GTA game too. It's also wonderfully free of icon hunting.
    I'm quite a bit further than henke, but there's a large part of the map still locked off to me, which I believe only becomes accessible later one, or even after the main story. There's nothing to stop you poking your head over the border, but it will very quickly get blown off.
    Outside of the missions and side missions, the game is increddibly non-linear, and filled to brimming with pastimes that are very satisfying. The systems are deep and slightly wonky, and it's fun for the most part testing their limits.

Crime and punishment can get a bit annoying in Saint Denis, the big city to the south east. Even if someone attacks you first, if you retaliate, you're likely to pick up a bounty, and if you fight your way out, that bounty just gets bigger.
    I had a really annoying series of events while trying to access a mission there.
    I was riding there, when a pedestrian walked into my horse and I got reported for assault. I had to escape the town without killing anyone, only to pay of off the bounty, return to Saint Denis to try and access the mission again. I unfortunately triggered a random gang encounter 10 yards from starting the mission. They started shooting at me, so I shot back, only to pick up a bounty for murder, at which point I had to once again ride out of town and pay the bounty before returning a third time.
    I pretty much turned off the game in disgust at this point.

So while they're deep and involved, the systems can be very annoying at times.

I have however found a loophole which keeps me amused. If you lasso people instead of shooting them, as long as that's all you do, you don't get a black mark on your honour. And as long as you get away before anyone spots you in the area, you don't end up wanted. Cue many an overly hostile cowboy at camps across the land being hogtied and left hollering. It's a simple thing, but it keeps me amused.

I finished chapter 2 this morning and celebrated by upgrading the camp's horse station. Yee-haw!

While I understand the criticism that the missions don't allow for much creativity, I have to say that I don't particularly mind. I like the game's systems when it comes to making the world feel more real and alive, but I don't mind that the gameplay is more strictly authored. Perhaps I'm also predictable enough that I always feel the game allows me to do what I'd do anyway (or perhaps rather what I think Arthur would do).

Having said that, I do like the more systemic gameplay opportunities that coop affords, and I'm hoping that they build in smart and interesting ways on the coop missions in GTA Online.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm up to chapter 4 now. Tho I'm still spending a lot of time trying to pull off the perfect train robbery, here's a couple pretty good attempts.

Still got recognized though, guess I should've worn a different set of clothes.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quick question about the trapper: so far I've dutifully delivered and sold all the legendary animals, and I've bought the occasional bit of gear, but I haven't really made a habit of checking what the good man is selling. Is it worth getting gear at the trapper's, and to put in the time to collect the needed materials, if I'm not particularly interested in the cosmetic options?

Thing What Kicks
    The complete sets offer special bonuses as far as I'm aware, but I haven't completed a single set yet, and I doubt they make a huge difference to the game.

As an aside, are you guys playing on PS4 standard or Pro?
    I ask because the game has shut down my PS4 standard a couple of times while playing. I'm worried that my PS4 might be dying, but no other games do that and I watch Netflix every day on it without issue. Has anyone else had unexpected shut-downs?

It's possible it's because I've installed the game to an external USB 3 drive, but I just want to see if anyone else has seen similar problems before I go troubleshooting.

I've got a Pro, but for what it's worth I've also installed the game on an external drive. No problems there.

Chakat sex pillow
    Here is the best article about RDR 2 from 2019, and it will likely stay that way for the rest of the year.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Rumour: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC may be revealed on April 22nd as an Epic Games Store exclusive

This might get me to crack if it's 1 year, not gonna lie. 6 months? Easy, can sweat that out.

EDIT:
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 7th Apr 2019 at 07:28.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast