TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 126

Thread: The Dark Forest and other projects

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2014
    Soul Tear these screenshots look great however all I ever read about your missions is people complaining that the difficulty is too hard (to a trolling level) and the gameplay is bad.

    With your newer missions have you taken this criticism on board and designed your new missions to be more fun and playable?

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2006
    Location: France (Saint-Gobain)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post
    Soul Tear these screenshots look great however all I ever read about your missions is people complaining that the difficulty is too hard (to a trolling level) and the gameplay is bad.

    With your newer missions have you taken this criticism on board and designed your new missions to be more fun and playable?
    Yes SoulTear has a superb way to create beautiful missions with outstanding design expressions, but i agree with some people that he should create a more accessible easygoing gameplay for players to be able to enjoy the mission with no stresses.

  3. #28
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2009
    Agreed with Goldwell and Cardia.Soul Tear creates best looking fanmissions but gameplay and "difficulty" is lacking in many aspects.Lets hope he learn from his mistakes.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2010
    This is a common issue for visually oriented FM authors. They make spaces that look good or are "realistic" but often forget to consider how "fun" it would be to navigate these spaces. Thief 1/2 OM have lots of unrealistic architecture and\or strange building layout\proportions but it's all in service of the "fun factor".

    To my knowledge, the general consensus is that you should start with blocking-out the gameplay flow with primitive geometry then try to make it pretty. Doing it the reverse way is a recipe for pain as you will agonize over destroying your beautiful scenes to accommodate those pesky "player complaints".

    Of course, Soul Tear (etc) are all free to work as they please and choose the harder path.

    Still, nothing in those shots screams "this will be a pain in the ass to play" so it looks great thus far. Good luck.

  5. #30
    Master Builder 2018
    Registered: Jul 2008
    These pictures are just astonishing!

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: Texas
    Agreed! I can hardly wait to play. So hurry up already! lol

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2007
    Location: USA
    These look absolutely superb! I see myself playing the dark forest many times over. May make a wallpaper from it.

  8. #33
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2012
    Location: Moscow, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    And btw, Gaetane is a "she."
    Yes, I know, bad checked text.

    Sorry, Gaetane!

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2012
    Location: Moscow, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post
    Soul Tear these screenshots look great however all I ever read about your missions is people complaining that the difficulty is too hard (to a trolling level) and the gameplay is bad.

    With your newer missions have you taken this criticism on board and designed your new missions to be more fun and playable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Yes SoulTear has a superb way to create beautiful missions with outstanding design expressions, but i agree with some people that he should create a more accessible easygoing gameplay for players to be able to enjoy the mission with no stresses.
    You're right I learned a lesson from the failure of the gameplay. But I think it is quite normal that the first pancake (or even second) is always lumpy.
    Everything's under control. I am proud of The Dark Forest. It overcomes the drawbacks of BV and RN (the reason I started KoI 1 & 2 Reloaded).
    It will be hard and unexpected, but intuitive and affordable.

  10. #35
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Southern,California
    ohhh how i hope this runs on my comp

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    You're right I learned a lesson from the failure of the gameplay. But I think it is quite normal that the first pancake (or even second) is always lumpy.
    Everything's under control. I am proud of The Dark Forest. It overcomes the drawbacks of BV and RN (the reason I started KoI 1 & 2 Reloaded).
    It will be hard and unexpected, but intuitive and affordable.
    That's good to hear! I look forward to playing it.

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2011
    Location: Montpellier, France
    That castle in the forest shot is really damn cool.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Location: France
    That forest kind of reminds me of dark souls.

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2012
    Location: Moscow, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    That castle in the forest shot is really damn cool.
    Chateau de Val.

  15. #40
    The atmosphere oozing from these screenshots.... Simply amazing!

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2011
    Location: ���&#5671
    Most impressive! I can see you have already put to good use Amnesia's objects

    Anyway, if you're making a third version of KoI, can you please re-use the soundtrack from the first version ? Rememberance in the moat was top-notch and it's kinda weird to switch from Knowledge01 to the old boring Soulforge theme.

  17. #42
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2012
    Location: Moscow, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    Most impressive! I can see you have already put to good use Amnesia's objects
    Amnesia's objects? I do not have any.


    Anyway, if you're making a third version of KoI, can you please re-use the soundtrack from the first version ? Rememberance in the moat was top-notch and it's kinda weird to switch from Knowledge01 to the old boring Soulforge theme.
    Agreed.

  18. #43
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Berlin, Germany
    I really like the dark forest screens, looks great, also the forest screens from the Rowena Project!

  19. #44
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2008
    Location: Santiago / Chile
    Wow, all an artist designer. Outstanding screenshots.

  20. #45
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2016
    Location: France
    L'Arsene Gold sounds like fun! It would be nice to include the city map in it too

  21. #46
    New Member
    Registered: Aug 2003
    Location: Cape Breton Island, Canada
    Seems Appropriate..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWdmJo6xME

    Take it or leave it. It's all good.

  22. #47
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Location: Shenzhen, China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratul View Post
    Agreed with Goldwell and Cardia.Soul Tear creates best looking fanmissions but gameplay and "difficulty" is lacking in many aspects.Lets hope he learn from his mistakes.
    You have forgotten SLIPTIP. Noone will EVER match his design brilliance

  23. #48
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    Good FPS
    That forest is fantastic, but if you're running it on a new, or even 2-3 year old PC, and you're not having the stable maximum refresh rate of your monitor (60 Hz? 60 FPS then), it means there's something already pushing the engine beyond its limits. A lot of people playing FMs here have older hardware, so your "stable" 40-50 FPS will be 5-10 FPS on their PCs or laptops.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2012
    Location: Moscow, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    so your "stable" 40-50 FPS will be 5-10 FPS on their PCs or laptops.
    That's their problem.

  25. #50
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2014
    Location: Poland
    ST, show some demonic tombs.

    PS : Objects in "Enhancement Pack 3" looks very good.
    Last edited by Kurhhan; 8th Jan 2017 at 08:16.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •