TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Forest and other projects

Soul Tear these screenshots look great however all I ever read about your missions is people complaining that the difficulty is too hard (to a trolling level) and the gameplay is bad.

With your newer missions have you taken this criticism on board and designed your new missions to be more fun and playable?

Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post
    Soul Tear these screenshots look great however all I ever read about your missions is people complaining that the difficulty is too hard (to a trolling level) and the gameplay is bad.

With your newer missions have you taken this criticism on board and designed your new missions to be more fun and playable?
    Yes SoulTear has a superb way to create beautiful missions with outstanding design expressions, but i agree with some people that he should create a more accessible easygoing gameplay for players to be able to enjoy the mission with no stresses.

Agreed with Goldwell and Cardia.Soul Tear creates best looking fanmissions but gameplay and "difficulty" is lacking in many aspects.Lets hope he learn from his mistakes.

This is a common issue for visually oriented FM authors. They make spaces that look good or are "realistic" but often forget to consider how "fun" it would be to navigate these spaces. Thief 1/2 OM have lots of unrealistic architecture and\or strange building layout\proportions but it's all in service of the "fun factor".

To my knowledge, the general consensus is that you should start with blocking-out the gameplay flow with primitive geometry then try to make it pretty. Doing it the reverse way is a recipe for pain as you will agonize over destroying your beautiful scenes to accommodate those pesky "player complaints".

Of course, Soul Tear (etc) are all free to work as they please and choose the harder path.

Still, nothing in those shots screams "this will be a pain in the ass to play" so it looks great thus far. Good luck.

Master Builder 2018
    These pictures are just astonishing!

Agreed! I can hardly wait to play. So hurry up already! lol

These look absolutely superb! I see myself playing the dark forest many times over. May make a wallpaper from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    And btw, Gaetane is a "she."
    Yes, I know, bad checked text.

Sorry, Gaetane!

Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Yes SoulTear has a superb way to create beautiful missions with outstanding design expressions, but i agree with some people that he should create a more accessible easygoing gameplay for players to be able to enjoy the mission with no stresses.
    You're right I learned a lesson from the failure of the gameplay. But I think it is quite normal that the first pancake (or even second) is always lumpy.
    Everything's under control. I am proud of The Dark Forest. It overcomes the drawbacks of BV and RN (the reason I started KoI 1 & 2 Reloaded).
    It will be hard and unexpected, but intuitive and affordable.

ohhh how i hope this runs on my comp

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    You're right I learned a lesson from the failure of the gameplay. But I think it is quite normal that the first pancake (or even second) is always lumpy.
    Everything's under control. I am proud of The Dark Forest. It overcomes the drawbacks of BV and RN (the reason I started KoI 1 & 2 Reloaded).
    It will be hard and unexpected, but intuitive and affordable.
    That's good to hear! I look forward to playing it.

That castle in the forest shot is really damn cool.

That forest kind of reminds me of dark souls.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    That castle in the forest shot is really damn cool.
    Chateau de Val.

The atmosphere oozing from these screenshots.... Simply amazing!

Most impressive! I can see you have already put to good use Amnesia's objects

Anyway, if you're making a third version of KoI, can you please re-use the soundtrack from the first version ? Rememberance in the moat was top-notch and it's kinda weird to switch from Knowledge01 to the old boring Soulforge theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    Most impressive! I can see you have already put to good use Amnesia's objects
    Amnesia's objects? I do not have any.

Anyway, if you're making a third version of KoI, can you please re-use the soundtrack from the first version ? Rememberance in the moat was top-notch and it's kinda weird to switch from Knowledge01 to the old boring Soulforge theme.
    Agreed.

I really like the dark forest screens, looks great, also the forest screens from the Rowena Project!

Wow, all an artist designer. Outstanding screenshots.

L'Arsene Gold sounds like fun! It would be nice to include the city map in it too

Seems Appropriate..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWdmJo6xME

Take it or leave it. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaratul View Post
    Agreed with Goldwell and Cardia.Soul Tear creates best looking fanmissions but gameplay and "difficulty" is lacking in many aspects.Lets hope he learn from his mistakes.
    You have forgotten SLIPTIP. Noone will EVER match his design brilliance

Good FPS
    That forest is fantastic, but if you're running it on a new, or even 2-3 year old PC, and you're not having the stable maximum refresh rate of your monitor (60 Hz? 60 FPS then), it means there's something already pushing the engine beyond its limits. A lot of people playing FMs here have older hardware, so your "stable" 40-50 FPS will be 5-10 FPS on their PCs or laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    so your "stable" 40-50 FPS will be 5-10 FPS on their PCs or laptops.
    That's their problem.

ST, show some demonic tombs.

PS : Objects in "Enhancement Pack 3" looks very good.
    Last edited by Kurhhan; 8th Jan 2017 at 08:16.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast