TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Of Us, Part II

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, a lot of it seems unnecessary, and the story told in the trailer is tropey as all get-out.

The first game was excellent, there's no reason to think that this one will be any different, controversial trailer aside. I think everyone's getting all worked up over nothing.

Now give me a release date!

I don't think anyone's getting all worked up, unless criticism counts as getting all worked up in your world.

I was referring to the multiple articles on the web that are criticizing the violence in the trailer in general, but also specifically against woman. So much that Sony felt the need to respond. The "violence against women" argument is pretty weak, considering it's being perpetrated by other women.

@Judith - Did you play the first game? If so, I don't know you can be so quick to dismiss this one based on a trailer.

I'm not judging the game, I'm just talking about what I saw in the trailer. It was a cheap move. The same goes for Detroit trailer. They used the theme of domestic abuse to impress players, make it more "interesting".

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, I liked the trailer. It builds the suspense very well and then leaves us hanging (along with hammer lady) while the camera focuses on 2 other characters. After an uncomfortably long wait, hammer lady is let out of the frying pan... and into the fire. I was also surprised by just how brutal it got, but it feels like an appropriate re-introduction to the world of The Last Of Us. It paints a very vivid picture of this place and it's inhabitants while not giving away anything about the plot.

The thing is, it's hardly a suspense. It's more or less constant sense of dread, on the edge of the seat. Like changing volume of your speakers between 90 and 100% volume for a minute or two. It's still super loud, there's no range, and you can't go higher than this. I'm sure a lot of people will be like "wow, that was completely brutal!" while talking about this, but mature works usually try to put that kind of extreme violence into some context before presenting it. Since this brutality came out of nowhere, and the trailer ended before it presented anything more meaningful, I felt it was a cheap trick to make some noise in media.

Anyway development != marketing, so we shouldn't think the developers were in any way thinking like how it's being marketed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    In cases like the Dead Island trailer, that's true. But I'm 99% certain Naughty Dog didn't farm this out. Those guys are so focused on storytelling that they wouldn't just let some external marketing agency start telling the story of this game.

I was thinking the same thing. There's no way Neil Druckman isn't approving every single frame that's shown of his game.

That's even more weird, given the superb quality of their games. I'm sure they knew they'll lose some of the respect, but they decided to go with it anyway.

I think that's BS. When the game comes out in a year, and gets stellar reviews and is flying off the shelves, no one will care or probably even remember anything about this trailer.

I don't know. I, at least, think a bit worse of them. It feels as if they are really insecure of the quality of the game, so they have to sell it on violence.

I wasn't going to buy the game anyway, though, so make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I don't know. I, at least, think a bit worse of them. It feels as if they are really insecure of the quality of the game, so they have to sell it on violence.

I wasn't going to buy the game anyway, though, so make of it what you will.
    +1

I'm really curious about the backstory on this, we'll probably see a GDC lecture or Gamasutra postmortem some time after the game is released.

I'm kind of surprised by some people's reaction here to this trailer. They're just setting the stage - these games are about surviving in a harsh environment, specifically a post apocalyptic world. It's almost a cliche by now, and has been done many times before - The Walking Dead, The Road, the Stand, I Am Legend, the list goes on. The first trailer showed Joel and Ellie. Now we're seeing the other side of the equation. It's all just setting up the game.

And like they said, this is a game designed by adults for adults. It's not supposed to be seashells and balloons.

They have no reason to be insecure about the quality of the game. This first one got incredible reviews. This one has been in development for several years, using high quality voice actors and composers, not to mention the existing staff at Naughty Dog. I'm sure Sony has given them a very large budget and the freedom to do what they want.

The violence in the trailer seems pointless and gratuitous. A grindhouse flick can get away with this, but more serious works deal primarily with mature themes -- which gratuitous violence is not. Seashells and balloons don't even enter into it. For example, in The Walking Dead, the violence is not there just for the sake of violence. It's there to showcase the fragility of humans and to escalate consequences. In fact, the comic is not explicitly about zombies either -- it's about human relationships pushed to the extreme. The zombies are just the means to do it.

I'm not sure whether this is a good analogy, but imagine Rockstar advdertising GTA 5 with Trevor and that infamous torture scene. Or 2K advertising Bioshock Infinite DLC with the final scene of Atlas torturing Elisabeth to death. These scenes are highest-key moments in those games, you really can't go much further than that. And why on Earth would you want to have such scene spoiled in the trailer, and not leave it to be experienced by players on their own? I thought that if the trailer means to set the overall tone of the game with such scene, that might mean they chose the Outlast 2 route, which was a pointless gorefest (and a poor game, tbh). I really hope I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by Judith; 3rd Nov 2017 at 03:39.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    And why on Earth would you want to have such scene spoiled in the trailer, and not leave it to be experienced by players on their own?
    Also speculating here, but I'm not sure it is in the game. It might just be a piece of backstory created for the trailer. And you know what THE INTERNET is speculating? That hammer lady might be Ellie's mom! And you know what else I'm gonna go ahead and speculate RIGHT NOW? That it IS Ellie's mom and you'll play half of the game as her BEFORE the events of TLOU and half of the game as Ellie or Joel AFTER TLOU! Yup, pretty amazing right?

Or maybe it's Ellie's older evil twin? Or her mom's evil twin? So it's either Days of our lives/Brazillian telenovela level of excitement and speculation, or just some pointless violence. None of this is mature, IMO. But hey, I'm sure we'll see a follow-up at some point, maybe that will clarify things a little bit.

Administrator
    It's another indication to me that it's often a good idea to avoid hype. I'm usually out of touch with game news but I find going into a well rated game with no preconceptions to be better than having discussed the marketing for months previously.

Also don't underestimate the idiocy coming from marketing departments.

It's supposedly an in-game scene.

Also, wait, what hammer lady? The man who smashes the girl's arm with a hammer is Ellie's mom?

Btw, Sony's defence that these are games made by adults for adults is nonsense. Who else would make these games? Children? Even something like Super Mario is made by adults. And just because something is made for adults doesn't mean that it can't be juvenile. Violence alone doesn't make something mature. I mean, Jackass has violence.
    Last edited by Starker; 3rd Nov 2017 at 07:35.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The main lady, she picks up the hammer at the end. Was also featured in this poster. More speculation: I bet that hammer will be a constant main weapon for her, just like Ellie always has her switchblade.

Yep, damn good for her triceps too by the looks of things.

I think that video wouldn't play on my phone before, so I shouldn't have bothered posting before.
    Watching it now, it looks like prologue, and establishing who the really bad guys are. I guess.

Anyway, the hammer reminded me of T2X. If you'll recall (if you played it), that tried to pass a hammer off as a kind of blackjack, just knocking a person unconscious. But when you're actually using it, it's a very visceral thing. You don't feel like you're just conking a guy. You feel like you're smashing a hole into his skull and murdering him. It's an uncomfortable feeling as a regular weapon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast