TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.31%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

49 34.51%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 35.21%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.82%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.15%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Moderator and Priest
    Though on that same note, any agreement with North Korea has, historically, never been worth the paper it was printed on. This is, what, the 4th time they've agreed to nuclear disarmament? We should hope for the best, but with all things considered, prepare for the worst.

If one of the stipulations of this now sudden showing of good will is a withdrawal of certain US military assets from South Korea, I expect we're just seeing the first stages of some new shit

(Meme removed)
    it's a good day .

Meanwhile, in Japan, Lord Dampnut is celebrated as America's greatest hero!

(click CC for subtitles)

Moderator and Priest
    Well, we're less likely to hit WWIII today than we were yesterday. Trump's aggression may have served a purpose, if not to impose peace through a blatant showing of aggression, then to serve as the counter example for the Chinese to work from.

Now let's see how things go in Syria.

Maybe he'll get in there with one of his patented see-saw handshakes and defuse the situation. Stranger things have happened. He might not want to count his chicks before he grabs them, though.

Maybe John Bolton is a dove in hawk's clothing and it turns out he has been for peace all along.

There should be no illusion, though, that North Korea has been intimidated by America. They are using their nuclear program as a bargaining chip. The fact that America treats them as equals and not as a pariah state is already a diplomatic victory the way things are standing currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Well, we're less likely to hit WWIII today than we were yesterday. Trump's aggression may have served a purpose, if not to impose peace through a blatant showing of aggression, then to serve as the counter example for the Chinese to work from.

Now let's see how things go in Syria.
    yeap, Syria still in limbo and as pointed out a gazillion times we have no business there.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    There should be no illusion, though, that North Korea has been intimidated by America. They are using their nuclear program as a bargaining chip. The fact that America treats them as equals and not as a pariah state is already a diplomatic victory the way things are standing currently.
    Indeed. Any leader who would murder his own brother in a foreign airport with an outlawed nerve agent will not be intimidated by words. Kim has some evil plan up his sleeve. I suspect it is to work on South Korea to oust US troops in some spirit of brotherhood bullshit. Then of course they can join Korea together again... only of course under Kim's leadership. Kim could even teach Trump a thing or two about ego.

Moderator and Priest
    Why go through all that dangerous brinksmanship BS, when you can instead engage in a more modern form of warfare that's considerably more profitable, and so easily ignored?

We're in a brave new world here, people. Nukes are but insurance. The real wars are being fought over intellectual property and bank account numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    How the fuck do you hang up on the President of the United States?
    You get orders from God. And if you ignore those, from Rupert Murdoch.

On the plus side, the Korean War ended today. Hard as it is to say, Trump might be due some credit for that.
    Or maybe it's just that Kim's sand box collapsed and he can't play in it... for now.

If one of the stipulations of this now sudden showing of good will is a withdrawal of certain US military assets from South Korea, I expect we're just seeing the first stages of some new shit
    How about the North Koreans scrap all of the artillery and short range missiles aimed at Seoul and remove other offensive forces near the border. In return the US removes its forces and South Korea backs off from the border as well. North Korea gets to keep a small nuclear deterrent as long as they sign the CTBT and stop exporting WMD technology. Sanctions are lifted in stages over a period of 10 years or so based on North Korea taking steps to open up their society and reform their political and economic model. I think that's the best realistic outcome we can hope for.

Demanding North Korea agree to de-nuclearize up front as a pre-condition to further negotiation would be a poison pill. Kim would have to be nuts, worse-than-Trump Grade A bonkers to do that. It would be signing his own death sentence. They saw what happened to Saddam. They saw what happened to Gaddafi.

The settlement I proposed will never happen though, because the national security establishment in the United States is only interested in two things, nuclear disarmament first, followed by regime change. Unless that changes, there will never be good faith negotiations between the US and NK. Kim's best play is to make peace with South Korea, normalize relations on the peninsula, and get the South Korean's to kick the US military off their soil. If he can do that, he doesn't need to negotiate with the US anymore. He can engage with the rest of the world and let the US hawks cry over their shrinking influence.

There's been a lot of uproar over Michelle Wolf's comedy roast at the Correspondents' Dinner. Apparently, her jokes were too presidential. The president himself didn't attend, cause he had a problem with his spine, but the most outrageous roast in American history is available here:

If her material had been actually funny, or she had had any degree of charisma whatsoever instead of coming off as a shrill asshole with a troll's grin, people would've been less inclined to see it as vulgar and mean-spirited. As it is, I can definitely see where people are coming from with it, and I wonder how much life the concept of the White House Correspondents Dinner has left in it if this is what we can expect out of it from now on.

That wasn't a roast. A traditional comedy roast is supposed to honor someone with a mix of tributes and lighthearted jokes meant to poke fun at and embarrass the honoree. A roast is respectful and funny and meant to celebrate somebody. I don't think contemporary comedians know how to roast. It seems to be a lost art.

The White House correspondent's dinner used to be an occasion where the White House staff and Washington press corps would set aside politics and their normal adversarial relationship for a fun evening together. It was kind of a relationship building activity where they could let their guard down and spend time together as normal people. There were skits and jokes and ribbing and it was all in good fun.

It was out of the public's eyes until C-SPAN started broadcasting it at the beginning of the Clinton administration. It quickly became an A-list media event something like a Hollywood awards show, and given the Clintons' penchant for courting Hollywood stars and vice versa, and the press obsession with celebrity, the dinner was a warm and administration-friendly affair. That changed during the GWB administration. During the first few years of the GWB administration, it was respectful, but kind of tense. And then Colbert came along and blew up the tradition. Instead of providing entertainment, he used the stage to make hard political commentary and for self-promotion.

In my opinion, Trump is well justified in skipping it. There is a difference between making fun of someone and insulting them, and nobody should be expected to just sit there and take a barrage of mean-spirited insults. If it were me in Trump's shoes, I would have gone further and directed my staff not to attend. If the press corps is going to turn a charity dinner into an openly hostile political event, they can go fuck themselves.

Besides that, Michelle Wolf wasn't even funny. When you resort to telling pussy jokes and you can't get a laugh, you suck.

meh, they all need to grow thicker skin.

From the reactions, looks like the worst thing she said was that Sarah Huckabee Sanders has perfect makeup. But it seems like a lot of people think comedians should be held to higher standards. Apparently, they are not just entertainers, they are people who the whole nation look up to and they set the example for leadership and conduct. They can't just go around quoting the president or joking about the press secretary's lies.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st May 2018 at 15:25.

Moderator and Priest
    The thing that amazes me most about this is that the pro-Trump crowd always style themselves as the stoic, strong manly men, always willing to say it like it is without regards to feelings or political correctness, and weather any adversity to Make America Great Again. If you don't like it, then you can go get bent, buttercup. Grow a pair.

In reality, they're at least as easily offended as the cucks and snowflakes they're always looking down on. As soon as you turn their tactics back on them, they'll clutch for their pearls, and cry "well, I never..." just as readily as any stereotypical leftist liberal type.

What's fascinating to me is what parts get talked about and what don't. I would have thought the most controversial things would have been her mercilessly skewering the media or her "Flint still doesn't have clean water" mic drop. Instead, people are focusing on things like her being a potty mouth (even though she was pretty tame compared to, say, the president) or her making a joke tangentially mentioning another woman's makeup. I guess there are some things people really don't want to talk about or perhaps some of her remarks really hit home.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st May 2018 at 16:59.

@Starker: I just stole that. Thank you!

I think comedians are supposed to be there for entertainment, not to show up to a formal event with a 100 year tradition and take a dump on it, so they can get their name all over the news and advance their career.

And nobody should be expected to show up and just sit there quietly while somebody throws bitter insults and mockery at you. Subjecting yourself to that is not "growing a pair", it's more being a cuck (man, I hate that word).

This just promotes more hard-line partisanship.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    ...being a cuck (man, I hate that word).
    Heh. Do I even need to comment on this, or does it speak for itself?

Renz started it

Moderator and Priest
    Shuddup. Ain't do nuttin'.

As if traditions matter jack in the current climate. As if it's possible to gently rib the person that's the main contributor to the climate.

Yes, entertaining people is one job of comedians, but you can also argue that speaking truth to power and highlighting issues in society is another, not any less important task.

And Lord Dampnut is a coward, pure and simple. Bush Jr didn't run and hide, he took all the (IMO well-deserved) barbs from Colbert. He didn't sit on Twitter (or whatever the equivalent for that would have been) and throw insults at people and whine about how unfairly he was treated.

Moderator and Priest
    I think one of the biggest problem with today's political clime is that most people seem to confuse petulance for assertiveness.

Hence Donald Trump, and his rabid fanbase.

Page 283 of 540 FirstFirst ... 33183233238243248253258263268273278279280281282283284285286287288293298303308313318323328333383533 ... LastLast