TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.06%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

51 35.42%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 34.72%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.78%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.03%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The Washington Post bitching about the petty bullshit the President of these United States is pulling on the owner of the Washington Post. It's like the whole country is being ran by children.
    Nixon also used government agencies to go after his enemies, so in this sense it's rather presidential, actually.

Moderator and Priest
    At least there's legal precedence for it, I guess.

Not really? Nixon resigned before he was impeached for it.

Moderator and Priest
    Damn. It should be illegal having to wake up this early.

Not to defend Nixon, but I think he really believed communists & anarchists, et al, (or what he labeled as such) were actually bad for the country, and that was driving his paranoia and retribution... Even if delusional, it was still delusional care about the commonwealth ... whereas of course only the koolaid drinkers would believe Trump gives two shits about what's good or bad for the US and its people.

He dishes out retribution purely based on personal interest. Good guys are the ones that financially benefit him or stoke is powerfantasy ego no matter how detrimental to US interests, cf. Russia or Duterte, and bad guys are the ones that financially harm him or bruise his ego no matter how beneficial to US interests, cf. Amazon & WaPo or Western Europe. Actually it's probably no coincidence that what is good for the US is bad for Trump and what is bad for the US is good for Trump, God help us.

edit. Here's a good article on it. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...candal/560825/
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st May 2018 at 19:54.

John Oliver did a segment on rehab:

It's a sort of a follow-up to the story about the Opioid epidemic, which I'm sure Kellyanne is close to solving any day now (the epidemic, that is).

http://www.newsweek.com/kellyanne-co...s-trump-800359

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, selected by President Donald Trump to be his "opioid czar," has reportedly sidelined drug policy experts as she takes control of the government's efforts to curb substance abuse.

Conway, whose background is in polling and politics rather than public health, is relying on an "opioid cabinet" of political staff instead of the president's drug policy office to tackle the epidemic, Politico reported Tuesday. The crisis is reportedly responsible for 64,000 deaths in 2016.

Under Conway's leadership, efforts have amounted to the promise of a "just say no" campaign and a call for a border wall, which is aligned with Trump's claim that the opioid crisis was imported.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), which has guided federal drug policy since the Ronald Reagan administration, "has pretty much been systematically excluded from key decisions about opioids and the strategy moving forward," a former Trump administration staff member told the publication.
    The best people indeed...
    Last edited by Starker; 21st May 2018 at 05:17.

The White House has minted a commemorative coin featuring Lord Dampnut and Kim Jong Un and the latter is called Supreme Leader on the coin: http://theweek.com/speedreads/774404...-jong-uns-face

This is not a joke or a parody, it actually really happened.

Do you think that when Trump calls a confidential informant an agent, he knows that he is misrepresenting the facts, or is he just so ignorant?

Do you think he realizes that virtually every sensitive investigation the FBI conducts uses informants, or does he purposely misrepresent his own executive branches of government and smear them to obfuscate his own smelly trail?

I imagine he's just using whatever sort-of-synonym sounds most like the message he wants to impart. He's a charlatan first and foremost, after all.

He's a snake oil salesman so has a 6th sense about skirting the dumbass / evil / idiot-stoking line, whatever makes the sale and covers his ass. I have to think, with as much evidence as we have by now, that evil purpose is definitely in the mix. There's already documentation that those social media data mining consultants he used gave him really specific phraseology that he spammed incessantly like build the wall, lock her up, deep state, etc.

Whatever is best for personal profit or higher ratings, I'm pretty sure those are the only two metrics that even register for him, and he hasn't hidden the fact. He bragged about the high ratings the release the tortured prisoners from North Korean was going to get, or the thumbs up & upbeat messaging with victims of the Florida shooting or hurricane Harvey or how fortunate and honored the winner of the soldier getting a purple heart must feel (for being injured in the line of service) and pinning it on him with a huge smile and thumbs up like it was a blue ribbon for a prize pig... If it's a good photo op for him it's great news! FFS

Edit: Re the "informants". He knows his base goes wild for deep state conspiracies, so any news about a person, his campaign, and information is enough to sell that story. This question like "does he even realize... the FBI ... facts and regular procedures ... " are all pretty irrelevant to closing the sale. So I'm sure none of that entered his mind, only what he needs to say to close.
    Last edited by demagogue; 23rd May 2018 at 01:03.

Mid-terms, Americans have to make everyone who is being complicit with this screwing over of your country pay with losing elections. You have to take this jackass' mandate away from him.

Last predictions I saw, there will be a bump towards the D wing, but not as big as past midterms. Dems should take the Senate, but not by much, and they're not expected to take the House.

Trump is so incoherent that he's had a dismal record of passing legislation even with Reps leading both chambers anyway. So I don't think it even matters that much. It's certainly going to be nowhere near impeachable territory (50% of the House and 66% of the Senate) unless he does something sensationally stupid like fire Mueller or a smoking gun of something downright treasonous shakes out. I wouldn't count that out though. Right now I'm giving it about 40% odds.

I think if he fires Mueller (well...Wray and/or Rosenstein, maybe Sessions...Mueller by proxy) Republicans aren't going to do jack about it. Some will grumble....that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Last predictions I saw, there will be a bump towards the D wing, but not as big as past midterms. Dems should take the Senate, but not by much, and they're not expected to take the House.

Trump is so incoherent that he's had a dismal record of passing legislation even with Reps leading both chambers anyway. So I don't think it even matters that much. It's certainly going to be nowhere near impeachable territory (50% of the House and 66% of the Senate) unless he does something sensationally stupid like fire Mueller or a smoking gun of something downright treasonous shakes out. I wouldn't count that out though. Right now I'm giving it about 40% odds.
    Think of the House as having three parties: the Republicans, the Democrats, and the Freedom Caucus. The Republicans and Freedom Caucus have formed a coalition for the purpose of electing House leadership, but on legislation they don't vote together and the Republicans don't have enough votes to pass anything by themselves. Democrat votes and Freedom Caucus votes are mutually exclusive, so the Republicans need to make a deal with one or the other to get anything done. That's the real reason for the slow legislative pace, not Trump. Trump has shown he will basically sign anything, even the legislation he complains bitterly about, and hasn't used his veto power yet. It's also the reason why there isn't consistent/coherent policy coming out of the House. They had to make a deal with the Freedom Caucus on tax reform, but had to make a deal with the Democrats on the budget, so now we have a massive deficit increase. Trump is bitching about it, but he went along with it.

There is a small chance that the Democrats will win control of the House. If they don't, there is also a small chance that the coalition of the Republicans and the Freedom Caucus will choose a Freedom Caucus leader as the next Speaker. If the latter happens, things are going to get even crazier. But the most likely outcome of the mid-terms is that nothing really changes about how the House works.

Assuming the Democrats win control of the Senate, the big change will be confirmation battles.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Dems should take the Senate, but not by much, and they're not expected to take the House.
    I thought it was expected to be the other way around. They're expected to take the House, but fall just shy of the Senate, since they have a rather number of seats up this election, with most of them being square in the midst of Trump territory.

Having seen how pathetic your Democrats are, I can't but wonder how they will screw it up this time.

Moderator and Priest
    It's currently trendy, and rather true, to say that they have something of a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    They had to make a deal with the Freedom Caucus on tax reform, but had to make a deal with the Democrats on the budget, so now we have a massive deficit increase.
    Seems to me the spending spree was Trump's idea, coupled with the permanent tax breaks for the richest, coupled with the "fishing lure" temporary breaks for regular folk.

Reminds me of Mr. Burns trying to get the plant employees to give up their dental plan for a keg of beer at the union meeting

But back to misrepresentations, his outright lies....
    Why aren't his supporters getting fed up with it?
    In fact, many repeat the crap in his tweets like they are research findings or gospel or something. WTH?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    In fact, many repeat the crap in his tweets like they are research findings or gospel or something. WTH?
    That's the cult of personality in action. You have so many people who have invested so much emotion into him, that anything he says or does will be excused or ignored for the sake of saving face, even when it goes against his own word.

There's a reason they keep hammering on the "Fake News" meme. They absolutely need their flock inoculated from facts.

In practice, it seems that most of the flock catch on to the fact that their leaders are full of it eventually - that's actually a big reason why fringe tea party candidates and Donald Trump himself got nominated, the Republican base is sick of the nonsense coming from their more establishment candidates. But very very few of them ever make the leap from the fact that their leaders are self-evidently full of it, to the realization that the people those leaders keep claiming are full of it, are mostly on the level. (Mostly. Well, a whole lot more than the other side, anyway...)
    Last edited by Pyrian; 23rd May 2018 at 16:09.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm still amazed that most of the moderate Republicans were gobsmacked by the Trump Train. I mean what the hell else did they expect to happen when they went courting crazy for easy votes?

He is so shameless about his lies, that even when his own staff inform him properly, he still repeats the lies. It's like he's actually a psychopath...

From healthyplace.com:

Psychopathy can be thought of as a more severe form of sociopathy with more symptoms. Therefore, all psychopaths are sociopaths but sociopaths are not necessarily psychopaths.

According to the Society for the Study of Psychopathy, psychopath traits include:

Lack of guilt/remorse
    Lack of empathy
    Lack of deep emotional attachments
    Narcissism
    Superficial charm
    Dishonesty
    Manipulativeness
    Reckless risk-taking

Sound like anyone? Can someone with empathy use the future of all those DACA kids as a political lever?

Each one of these traits can be associated with his actions or behaviours in my opinion.

Some commentator said something along the lines of:
    Trump opponents take him literally but don't take him seriously.
    Trump supporters take him seriously but don't take him literally.

They like that the lies rile up liberal snowflakes and help bring down a system they oppose. Or something like that. The whole thing has an air of performance art.

Page 289 of 558 FirstFirst ... 39189239244249254259264269274279284285286287288289290291292293294299304309314319324329334339389539 ... LastLast