TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.06%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

51 35.42%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 34.72%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.78%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.03%
Page 41 of 558 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141291541 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 13942

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

To be clear, when I use the term "oligarchy" in this context, I do not mean it as a formalized form of government, ruled up front by aristocrats. Instead, I merely describe the fact that special interest groups have essentially hijacked the operative policy-making decisions via corrupt politicians in the U.S. government...This form of informal oligarchic control or "oligarchy", normally ends up deciding who will be allowed to be a nominee (both democrat and republican), by the chosen candidates making assurances that they will serve their interest, even at the expense of the country.

In this unusual election cycle, there were two candidates that wouldn't "play ball"...Trump, because of personal resources and remarkable skill, became a nominee...and Bernie, because he never had a chance, did not.
    Last edited by Vae; 6th Oct 2016 at 02:04.

Moderator and Priest
    Apparently you haven't been reading the news much lately. Trump, for all his alleged remarkable skill, and supposed outsider credentials, has been as much of a mutual backscratcher throughout his life as those who he's running against. From using his charity foundation funds to pay off lawsuits, and buying little trinkets for himself, to funding DAs and politicians to look the other way when allegations of fraud or other illegal activities concerning him come across their desk, to outsourcing work to 3rd world countries to save a buck. The more that's uncovered about him, the more he sounds exactly like the very thing he's supposed to be the antithesis of.

Not that that's stopping anyone from believing the old song and dance. "Of course he's going to do those things. It's good business. Just because he plays the same games, and hobnobs with the Elites we claim to loathe doesn't mean he likes doing so. And hey, who better to fix our problems than someone who has first hand experience making a profit off them? He knows the system. He's played the system. He knows how to change it, and he will!"

Well, it's either that, or "it's just a bunch of lies, perpetrated by a bunch of desperate politicians trying to do anything they can to keep riding high at our expense, backed by the bought and paid for MSM. They're worse than Pravda, maaannnn."

...at some point, you probably need to ask yourself if it's Trump you believe in, or the idea of what you believe Trump to be that you're projecting onto him.

Noone actually expects Trump to change the system. You put a fox into a henhouse, you don't expect them to take care of the hens, you expect them to make a bloody mess. Although, Trump is more likely to just eat the eggs, rent out the hens, set fire to the henhouse and collect the insurance.

Trump promised he could fix the tax code. Nobody knows it better than him, supposedly, and he can fix it. All those hedge fund managers are going to hate his tax plan, he said. He's not going to benefit from it, he said.

But he's released his tax plan. A couple of them now, as I understand it. And... They're little more than YUUUUGE giveaways to himself, and people like him.

verbose douchebag
    As I understand, Trump is in billions deep with Credit Suisse for debt, so anything which hurts finance likely isn't even a forethought on his agenda.

Next you'll tell me his isn't going to build a wall on the border either...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Noone actually expects Trump to change the system.
    You'd be surprised. A good chunk of his appeal is due to the fact that he'd advertised himself as a Washington outsider who has so much money, he can't be bought.

verbose douchebag
    I was slightly incorrect, it is hundreds of millions rather than billions and mostly Deutsche Bank, not Credit Suisse: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/...umpwallst0320/

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You'd be surprised. A good chunk of his appeal is due to the fact that he'd advertised himself as a Washington outsider who has so much money, he can't be bought.
    Okay, correction: no sane person actually expects Trump to change the system.

You know, there's a part of me that wants to see what would happen if Trump won, but I have people in the States that I care about. I mean, at least it would be a president you can make fun of. Clinton is just too boring.

Moderator and Priest
    We haven't had a president in years that didn't make for some easy picking of low hanging fruit. Well, Obama comes close. He's not THAT funny. Though he makes up for his lack of inherent humor value by inspiring so much RIGHTEOUS RAGE AND INDIGNATION in so many people.

And Trump? He won't be the end of the world. Not even the end of the nation. He'll probably embarrass the hell out of us on a daily basis, and likely lead us into a deep recession, but we'll recover. Probably. Eventually. Maybe after he's impeached in two years.

Last edited by Renzatic; 6th Oct 2016 at 18:17.

I saw some interviews of Italians explaining how Burlusconi did irreperable damage to Italian politics by dragging the entire baseline rhetoric for everybody into the mud, which is still there after he's gone. That's what Trump would do to us.

Moderator and Priest
    I doubt it'll be nearly so severe. For one thing, we're on much more stable footing economically, despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth to the contrary. If his fiery, crass rhetoric ends up ruining a good, if not over contentious thing, it'll probably sober us up pretty quicklike.

He could take us down a couple of pegs, but considering most of the Democrat party, alongside a goodly chunk of the Republicans absolutely loathe the guy, I imagine he'll spend most of his presidency well contained. The end result will likely be a government gridlocked to the point of making even Obama's tenure seem a walk in the park comparatively, but that's not absolutely terrible, all things considered.

...now if Trump lands the presidency, and we vote in a majority tea party senate? Yeah. We should fret.

If he does become president, though, I bet he'll be the first US president to be impeached and convicted.

If Trump wins, there'll probably be a Republican senate, too (and the house is likely to remain Republican even if Trump loses). Seems to me that the best case scenario there is still that they pass one of those math-impaired budgets they keep bandying about. Cuts to the poor, massive tax cuts for the rich, and soaring deficits which they will of course blame on Democrats. Take from the children, give to the rich. That's the clearest objective they've defined, and the most likely to actually occur (they'll surely squabble over most everything else).

Moderator and Priest
    You could probably say the same thing about Hillary.

I am taking bets on it, though. It's $100, up front. That might seem like a lot, but in 4 years, that'll probably only be worth $5.50.

...if we're lucky. :O

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    If Trump wins, there'll probably be a Republican senate, too (and the house is likely to remain Republican even if Trump loses).
    The Republicans will keep the house, most likely. Though the senate and the presidency are entirely up in the air by this point. I think the deciding factor will come down to which party can manage to make it to the 8th without fucking up royally. The odds are on Hillary and the Democrats there, but...you never know.

Well, I'm sure something will trickle down from the rich. Although, it probably won't be money.

The last time we had one party hold majorities in both houses of Congress and the Presidency, a small minority of Democrats in red states effectively put the brakes on the Democratic legislative agenda, killing carbon cap & trade and preventing a Medicare-like option from being considered in health care reform. And Republican fillibusters blocked most of the cabinet, agency, and judicial appointments that were either controversial or too left.

If Trump somehow does win, which I think is VERY unlikely, and the Republican party hangs onto a slim majority in the Senate, I could see the same thing happening again. There is even more division within the Republican party now than there was in the Democratic party then, enough to make sure nothing crazy is going to happen too fast. At least when it comes to domestic policy.

When it comes to foreign policy, Trump is out of his league and will no doubt surround himself with a qualified team who he mostly defers to. It could be a team of realists in which case he doesn't do much damage internationally aside from making an ass of himself with stupid remarks that have to be apologized for in private by our diplomats. And we'll have to endure the endless stream of comments about how stupid Americans are. On the other hand, he could surround himself with a team of hawks and who knows what kind of shit he could get us in.

Hmm... would Trump really surround himself with a qualified team, though? Seems to me he's more likely to surround himself with people who tell him what he likes to hear.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    When it comes to foreign policy, Trump is out of his league and will no doubt surround himself with a qualified team who he mostly defers to.
    Considering the people he's currently surrounded himself with, I don't have too much faith him in going with a more centrist, levelheaded cabinet if he becomes president.

It doesn't matter how much of a diehard Republican someone may be, if they don't consider Michelle Bachmann as anything but toadlick batshit insane, they need to deeply consider reevaluating their politics.

You could probably say the same thing about Hillary.
    The squabbling? Yes. The rich-rewarding deficit-inflating? No, I don't believe that.

I am taking bets on it, though. It's $100, up front. That might seem like a lot, but in 4 years, that'll probably only be worth $5.50.
    It's hard to imagine that even Trump would hyper-inflate the dollar. It certainly won't happen under Clinton. Have you been drinking too much of the right-wing flavorade? We've been supposed to be having hyperinflation for 5-6 years now, instead it's under target.

Here's why, very simply: There's too much investment capital floating around. Since investors want returns, all that money amounts to a net demand for dollars. Very difficult to have inflation under such circumstances; you'd pretty much have to have a loss of confidence in the currency, but that's usually kicked off by inflation rather than vice-versa. Consider, for corroboration, the interest rate on U.S. debt. Low, low, low, sometimes even less than inflation. Investors can't get enough T-bills! You'd expect to see a substantially increase in that interest rate before you'd see significant inflation.

The Republicans will keep the house, most likely. Though the senate and the presidency are entirely up in the air by this point.
    The senate is more in the air than the presidency right now.

...a small minority of Democrats in red states effectively put the brakes on the Democratic legislative agenda...I could see the same thing happening again.
    Right? Mostly just squabbling. But I think the raft of tax cuts for the rich that all the R's are pushing would get through, Obamacare-style.

When it comes to foreign policy, Trump is out of his league and will no doubt surround himself with a qualified team who he mostly defers to. ... On the other hand, he could surround himself with a team of hawks and who knows what kind of shit he could get us in.
    I think the latter is more likely. I could easily see his ego making deferring impossible anyway (for all his criticism of the Iraq war, he still strikes me as a hawk), and I could also easily see the "qualified team" being anything but. I mean, where's he going to draw a qualified team from? His own friends, or the Republican yahoos that pushed us into invading Iraq?

Oh, I don't think he's going to appoint a centrist cabinet.

He seems to be casting around trying to find a set of foreign policy advisors who weren't part of GWB's administration or connected to the usual Republican NWO think tanks.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Here's why, very simply: There's too much investment capital floating around. Since investors want returns, all that money amounts to a net demand for dollars. Very difficult to have inflation under such circumstances; you'd pretty much have to have a loss of confidence in the currency, but that's usually kicked off by inflation rather than vice-versa. Consider, for corroboration, the interest rate on U.S. debt. Low, low, low, sometimes even less than inflation. Investors can't get enough T-bills! You'd expect to see a substantially increase in that interest rate before you'd see significant inflation.
    I was joking. :P

The senate is more in the air than the presidency right now.
    I wouldn't discount Trump outright. We want to, sure. But the country is in a strange, strange place right now. I thought it'd be impossible for Trump to win the primaries, but once he did, I considered it a wake up call, realized that it's very possible he could ride that same reality TV populist ticket all the way to the White House.

Everything I've seen since hasn't dissuaded me of this. I mean here's a guy who says and does things that'd sink normal candidates in a normal election season every other day, yet he's still maintaining an uncomfortably close race. Even Hillary, a fairly hard to love candidate with so many skeletons in her closet, they're pouring out the bedroom, and out onto the sidewalk, should be running a comfortable 20 point lead over him at least. But she's not. What the fuck is wrong with us?

Remember when we saw Romney's ship sink over the 47% quip? Only 4 years later, and that already seems so, so quaint and inoffensive.

I think the latter is more likely. I could easily see his ego making deferring impossible anyway (for all his criticism of the Iraq war, he still strikes me as a hawk), and I could also easily see the "qualified team" being anything but. I mean, where's he going to draw a qualified team from? His own friends, or the Republican yahoos that pushed us into invading Iraq?
    His criticisms of the Iraq War stem from the fact that it's now considered an absolute disaster. It's the nail he's hanging the quote-unquote establishment on. Though I can't help but marvel at how his hangers-on speak of him as the peaceful alternative to Hillary, someone who won't lead us into more unnecessary wars, while simultaneously drumming up the notion that he's the candidate that'll clean house in the Middle East.

There's a lot of weird cognitive dissonance going around this election season.

Obama is a warmonger. Look to Syria as an example. He's easily responsible for thousands of more deaths than Bush ever was.

Obama making peace with Iraq shows how week and easily heeled a president he is. They're our enemies! We should be showing them who's boss, before they nuke Israel!

...it makes the mind reel.

BREAKING NEWS! TWO BOXES OF CLINTON EMAILS NOW UNACCOUNTED FOR! TAMPERING WITH EVIDENCE BEING CONSIDERED!
    Last edited by Renzatic; 6th Oct 2016 at 20:52.

verbose douchebag
    I may have said this before, but this election would make a great prequel to Idiocracy.

Obama makes up for his lack of inherent humor value by inspiring so much RIGHTEOUS RAGE AND INDIGNATION in so many people.
    Thats because he is gay and married to a tranny.

Maybe after Trump's impeached in two years.
    And then can we have an independent nation? Or will we continue with the Rebloodlican / Democrips...

verbose douchebag
    I'd love to meet the guy who designed GMD. It's just so authentic.

Page 41 of 558 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141291541 ... LastLast