TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 19.40%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

42 31.34%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

49 36.57%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.99%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.70%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

It turned out that representative democracy could generate monsters (and I'm not referring to a single person or group but to sociopolitical dynamics) ?

What a surprise in the era of global connection.....let's work to minimize this sort of network drunkness to avoid this kind of NEMESIS.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, John Bolton has been asked to resigned. In most situations, I'd consider this a very good thing, given that Bolton's a mad dog neocon who wants to embroil us in a neverending war in the Middle East.

But with Trump, I can't help but wonder when the other shoe is gonna drop.

Guess he wasn't a fan of Lord Dampnut inviting Taliban to Camp David right before 9/11.

It's not like John Bolton hadn't been making his views clear beforehand.

As Rick Wilson put it, "insufficiently pro-Taliban".

https://time.com/5673302/john-bolton...-donald-trump/

[...]
    By the end, Bolton had reached his limit. “Bolton was screaming about the Taliban meeting,” says a national-security expert with close ties to White House officials. Bolton thought a meeting on U.S. soil would legitimize the Taliban and considered it tone deaf to schedule the summit so close to the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. The meeting was Trump’s idea, and he bristled that Bolton objected to it internally, this expert and other officials say.
    [...]

Sheesh. I have to admit, I didn't think frikken John Bolton would get pushed out for being relatively reasonable.

Oh, the PRO-TALIBAN USA

A very convenient and lovely anticommunist assault dog!

Last edited by lowenz; 10th Sep 2019 at 21:21.

Moderator and Priest
    Just about everyone we're enemies with in the Middle East were our friends at one time. Well, other than the Palestinians, which we've always been iffy on, and we've never liked Gadaffi all that much.

And now just about everyone the USA was friends with in the West...

"Trade wars are good and easy to win."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...194717808.html

President Trump says he is “winning big time, against China.” But his trade war is causing measurable damage to the U.S. economy, with the pain likely to worsen.

Forecasting firm Moody’s Analytics estimates that Trump’s trade war with China has already reduced U.S. employment by 300,000 jobs, compared with likely employment levels absent the trade war. That’s a combination of jobs eliminated by firms struggling with tariffs and other elements of the trade war, and jobs that would have been created but haven’t because of reduced economic activity.

The firm’s chief economist, Mark Zandi, told Yahoo Finance that the job toll from the trade war will hit about 450,000 by the end of the year, if there’s no change in policy. By the end of 2020, the trade war will have killed 900,000 jobs, on its current course. The hardest-hit sectors are manufacturing, warehousing, distribution and retail.

Other data back up the Moody’s Analytics numbers. Employers have created 1.3 million jobs so far this year, down from 1.9 million during the same period in 2018. The manufacturing sector has actually contracted, with many producers struggling with higher prices caused by Trump’s tariffs. Business investment is growing by the smallest amount since late 2016.
    [...]

But for the weeks' news in a nutshell so far, whatever the reason, we're all glad Bolton's history, right?

One quote I saw was basically that while most of his advice was belligerent claptrap, ironically the one thing he probably got fired for -- saying we shouldn't be legitimizing the Taliban by hosting negotiations as if they were a gov't and not juat a terrorist group -- was actually good advice.

Even idiots and assholes will occasionally speak the truth, if for no other reason than the tedious volume of shit they say.
    Last edited by Nicker; 12th Sep 2019 at 10:02.

Even a broken clock will be right twice a day, and being right is a firing offense in the Trump administration.

Just found out about Warren's old book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two-Income_Trap

It's intriguing and I need to look more into it.

It is also remarkable how much more sense people tend to make before they start pandering to national level identity politics.

Well it must be said... it turns out that Trump was right again! There was corruption and graft going on in Puerto Rico, over the reconstruction efforts after Hurricane Maria.

Unfortunately for Donny, it was two of his FEMA officials who just got arrested for the crimes along with a private contractor called (get this) Cobra Acquisitions. He said he'd drain the swamp, not empty the snake pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Unfortunately for Donny, it was two of his FEMA officials who just got arrested for the crimes along with a private contractor called (get this) Cobra Acquisitions. He said he'd drain the swamp, not empty the snake pit.

I like how this explains the weird policy schitzophrenia going on, the "bonkers" part. Trump wants to help bail out Iran from our own economic sanctions to encourage it to re-start an agreement that they were following and we pulled out of.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...p-pivot-abroad

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingPointsMemo
    Beyond the the pyrotechnics of John Bolton’s dismissal something pretty basic seems to be changing in the President’s foreign policy. He’s trying to move from being confrontation to deal-making. That is the core driver beyond Bolton’s dismissal. It centered on Iran but also covered Afghanistan, North Korea and other relationships around the globe. Yesterday The Atlantic published this piece from Thomas Wright explaining Trump’s pivot “away from conflict toward diplomacy,” how it relates to specific relationships and why it required Bolton’s dismissal. It’s good at explaining the foreign policy shifts on their own terms.

Then last night The Daily Beast published this article about Trump’s apparent interest in a French plan to float Iran a $15 billion line of credit to weather its economic woes (created by our sanctions) to bring the country back to the nuclear bargaining table (which we crushed and lit on fire).

Yes, it’s not U.S. money. In fact, the line of credit would be secured by Iranian oil. But it is hard to capture how bonkers this is from the viewpoint of U.S. policy. We are talking about backing a bailout for Iran necessitated by the economic crisis we created by imposing crippling sanctions. And this is to get them back into compliance with the nuclear deal they were already complying with before we tore it up. (I can’t help but be reminded of the subsidies Trump is paying to midwestern farmers getting crushed by his flailing trade war with China.) There have been hints of this. And in recent weeks Trump has let it be known that he’s sidling up to the idea of a meeting with Iranian President Rouhani.

That sounds unthinkable. But how can it be unthinkable? He’s besties now with Kim Jong-un. He even listed Kim’s displeasure as a reason for sacking Bolton. It’s entirely thinkable.

Well... I'm going to call it a positive development, compared to likely alternatives.

I think it's too early to call for his demise yet, but it's probably a good thing that he's cut off from White House resources and reportedly his people are getting the boot from there too. Lord Dampnut will probably listen to him more on Fox News, though, as apparently TV is one of the two main places he gets his foreign policy advice from (the other being talking to himself).

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I like how this explains the weird policy schitzophrenia going on, the "bonkers" part. Trump wants to help bail out Iran from our own economic sanctions to encourage it to re-start an agreement that they were following and we pulled out of.
    +1

It's Trump, the great *PRETENDING* world champion......acting and teasing and boasting only to brag and cover his total human inadequacy.
    Like Salvini here in Italy.

In the days of monarchy one can understand how power came to cruel and incapable people. I still don't entirely get why it happens today. I think it is an essential failing in human nature. We cannot shed our ancestral desire for centralized authority and without constant vigilance, we drift towards autocracy.

Despite our best plans, our systems of governance become corrupted. Their safeguards erode. Our methods of choosing leaders select for the personality type you least want in charge. Criminals inevitably find a way to game the system. In the USA, the great experiment in democracy, a disturbingly large minority are clamoring for the day they can return to a hereditary monarchy and authoritarian rule.

It boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    In the days of monarchy one can understand how power came to cruel and incapable people. I still don't entirely get why it happens today. I think it is an essential failing in human nature. We cannot shed our ancestral desire for centralized authority and without constant vigilance, we drift towards autocracy.

Despite our best plans, our systems of governance become corrupted. Their safeguards erode. Our methods of choosing leaders select for the personality type you least want in charge. Criminals inevitably find a way to game the system. In the USA, the great experiment in democracy, a disturbingly large minority are clamoring for the day they can return to a hereditary monarchy and authoritarian rule.

It boggles.
    It is very simple: most of people are childish and narcisistic tendencies inclined so they love pretenders like Trump.
    It's not a "human" flaw, it's a childish society flaw.

They need authority cause they're lacking of personal and individual authoritativeness.
    BUT they search for it in people like themselves.....so you got the actual parody world.
    Last edited by lowenz; 13th Sep 2019 at 13:01.

I hope it's not that simple, lowenz, but I also suspect is is.

Meanwhile...

The Trump DOJ may indict Andrew McCabe, former head of the FBI who took over the Russia Probe (and was dismissed just days before qualifying for his pension).

Out come the long knives.

Maddow's analysis is spot on as well.

She does end on a hopeful note though.
    Last edited by Nicker; 13th Sep 2019 at 22:27.

The world is scary simple.....

Page 447 of 497 FirstFirst ... 197347397402407412417422427432437442443444445446447448449450451452457462467472477482487492 ... LastLast