TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

    26 19.26%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

    43 31.85%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

    49 36.30%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

    4 2.96%
  • I don't know what's going on!

    13 9.63%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

  1. #11826
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus
    all eggs are on the trump basket. why? trump won over the evangelicals by taking a dump on the LGBT community.

  2. #11827
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    He did that by taking a hard stance against Roe v. Wade, which 99% of what all this bullshit is about. Everything else is a bonus for them.

  3. #11828
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    My, how times have changed.

    Top Republicans Sunday warned President Bill Clinton that refusing to honor independent counsel Ken Starr's grand jury subpoena in the Monica Lewinsky case could have serious political consequences -- including the possibility of impeachment.

    "I think it would be disastrous. It is basically saying he is above the law, he doesn't have to comply with the law," said Senate Majority Whip Don Nickles of Oklahoma on NBC's "Meet The Press." "Everybody else in America has to comply with subpoenas (while) he's saying he wouldn't. ... I don't think that would be sustainable."
    20 years later...

    No, the president doesn't have to testify before congress! Nor does his inner circle! They all have executive privilege! And anyway, the whole thing's a witch hunt, and totally unfair.

  4. #11829
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2001
    Location: 0x0x0
    It's so cute how you people site CNN as a credible news source. Will the house actually vote? What will happen if there's a senate trial? Tune into the next thrilling episode of "Speed Racer."

  5. #11830
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    The house will vote to impeach. It's all they can do as people of honor. If there is a senate trial then they will vote to ignore Trumps crime. It's all they can do as people who have sold their humanity for a conman. Just because it is a forgone conclusion does not mean it should not be played out. The intelligent have seen what he has done. The rest will support him no matter what he does. We all know this.

  6. #11831
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    It's so cute how you people site CNN as a credible news source.
    Admittedly, I try not to link to CNN articles, because there's always some dipshit who runs out screaming "OLOL AT COMMUNIST NEWS NETWORK", thinking they're being oh so clever in response to anyone who dares make the mistake of doing so, but I figured I'd go ahead with this, since the article in question was written during the late 90's, when CNN's reputation was still firmly in place.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 23rd Nov 2019 at 05:15.

  7. #11832
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    Buh buh buh.. HIS emailzzzzz!



    Is direct evidence good enough for you Sly?

    PS: Renz, you don't need to apologise to Sly. It's what's in the article that matters, not who wrote it. Sly can't refute the contents so he attacks the messenger.
    Last edited by Nicker; 23rd Nov 2019 at 11:09.

  8. #11833
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    It's so cute how you people site CNN as a credible news source.
    It's cute how you attack the source (without providing a shred of evidence for why it shouldn't be credible) even when you know perfectly well that the historical reference is true.

    The reality is that the Democratic party would've drummed Trump out long (looong) ago based on any one of several of his scandals (political stances aside), while the Republican party is deeply hyperpartisan in comparison.

  9. #11834
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    PS: Renz, you don't need to apologise to Sly.
    I'm not apologizing. I just wish that, for once, we could have a reciprocal conversation with actual conservatives. These days, it seems anyone who isn't a bleeding heart liberal is some wannabe badass putting up a front, and/or Grade A certified fucko crazy. There's no middle ground anymore.

  10. #11835
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    Location: OldDark Detox Clinic
    That's why I like Shields and Brooks on PBS Newshour on Fridays. At least one long time liberal and one long time conservative can have a civil normal conversation about these things, and even agree on some points.

  11. #11836
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    Please be real. Please be real. Please be real...

    Rudy Giuliani’s indicted associate Lev Parnas is prepared to tell Congress that Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) met with a former Ukrainian prosecutor who was ousted over corruption concerns in a bid to get dirt on Joe Biden, CNN reported Friday.
    Bondy also told CNN that Parnas worked to connect Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, with other Ukrainians who allegedly could come up with negative information on former Vice President Biden and the Democrats. If true, Nunes would be the first member of Congress linked to gathering opposition research on President Donald Trump’s political rival from a former foreign official, CNN noted — and one with a score to settle with Biden, who had pushed for Shokin’s ouster.
    Nunes has apparently denied the meeting and is suing CNN over the story.

  12. #11837
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    There's no middle ground anymore.
    They called 'em "RINO"s and drove 'em out.

  13. #11838
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Qantas
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm not apologizing. I just wish that, for once, we could have a reciprocal conversation with actual conservatives. These days, it seems anyone who isn't a bleeding heart liberal is some wannabe badass putting up a front, and/or Grade A certified fucko crazy. There's no middle ground anymore.
    They're in the closet.

    Why would a traditional ideological conservative want to spend time in a thread dedicated to chronicling and ridiculing everything Trump? They either hate him, or are at least terribly embarrassed by him. They may have grudgingly accepting him taking over the party, because he's delivered for them on some policies and judicial nominations. But why risk their reputation and squander intellectual capital trying to defend a President who is indefensible to any rational person at this point.

  14. #11839
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    Why spend time in this thread? They could sound off here and show that being a conservative and/or a Republican does not mean you are in lock step with trumpsterism.

    But whether inside or outside this thread, there seem to be very few people on the right willing to tell the increasingly objective truth about Trump, that he was and is a criminal and he has done great damage to the USA, domestically and internationally, as well as to the conservative brand in general.

    Remaining silent is squandering their intellectual and moral capital, not speaking out against corruption. It amounts to tacit endorsement of everything Trump, especially the criminal shit.

  15. #11840
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Qantas
    I don't agree that staying out of Trump threads = tacit endorsement of Trump.

    It seems you're trying to play the forced allegiance game i.e. "you're either with us, or against us," whereby the accused has to ally with your side otherwise you presume they support the other side. I know you and Starker hardly let a day go by without broadcasting your opposition to Trump, but that's your hobby. I'm very strongly anti-Trump and anti-Republican at this point, but I don't see much point in talking about it in this thread. There really isn't much to say that isn't already out there, and there's nobody here that I'm going to convince.

    This thread has spawned a few side conversations about US government policies in which there were good, if brief, apolitical exchanges of views. I enjoyed those exchanges, but they always ended prematurely, either by descending into a page-long battle of texts, or cut short when somebody reports the newest scandal of the day and everyone jumps to repond. I've gotten the impression that extended discussion is not welcome/not the point of this thread. It's disappointing because TTLG members are a thoughtful crowd. If this were any other site, I'd ignore this thread completely. But I keep poking my head in here from time to time because I occasionally find some thoughtful posts among the din and keep hoping it might go somewhere beyond talking points. It rarely does.

    Now imagine you are a traditional establishment Republican and you honestly can't stand Trump and his administration, but he's still making policy that you mostly agree with. You don't want to/can't defend the Trump administration on corruption, foreign policy, or whatever. But maybe you like the judicial nominations, tax cuts, regulatory roll-backs, etc. How are you going to come into a thread like this and defend the policies you favor without being tarred & feathered as a Trump supporter? You can't. Which is why the vast majority of my Republican friends and family members have gone silent on politics since the 2016 election.

    We have a smart crowd here and I'd love to meet you all in a TTLG convention where we talk games for a while, along with music, hobbies, food, TV, culture, design, philosophy, families, relationships, and politics too. But I wouldn't want to show up at a TTLG convention where you had to declare your political allegiance at the door.

    Dave

  16. #11841
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus
    aw come'on, if you are NOT left you HAVE to be right..........

  17. #11842
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    heywood - And I disagree with your disagreement. Silence from moderate conservative/right-leaning folks, is tacit approval, of Trump. Conservatives can come here and either effectively defend Trump and his actions (which you must admit is an increasingly difficult thing to do) or they could come here and denounce Trump's actions as anathema to their values. No loss of capital there. But you can't claim to be the victim.

    That's not 'wid us or agin us'. That's simply the choice facing conservatives, do they hold their noses or do they speak out?

    I regularly update the tally of Trumpian offences here because he is a clear and present danger to the world. People are dying, countries are suffering, for no other reason than Trump is stupid, impulsive and spiteful. No he's not to blame for everything but there is a lot of ugly shit going on today that would not be happening if there was not a low-life fuck-wit in the White House. It's really that simple.

    Sure there are opportunities for constructive side discussions but A - this thread is about Trump, and B - the people actively frustrating any real bipartisan work are Trump's lackeys in the Senate. So who's fault is that? Who put them there and who lets them ride roughshod over the law?

    If you want to start a side discussion, start another thread. That would be a good thing and if I participate I promise not to bash Trump there.

  18. #11843
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    I'm not sure I agree about the 'tacit approval', Nicker. I don't know, I can't quite pin down why I'm not sure. I could just be wishy-washy.

    Perhaps I've been labouring under a misapprehension but I always (relatively recently anyway) thought that TTLG welcomed different opinions when couched in reasoned language. I've heard plenty of Republicans, even Trump supporters sometimes, on mainstream cable news (is that what I mean?) making good arguments for their position but they do it in a way, i.e. not shouting and talking over everyone, that makes me stop and think and question my own thinking. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the few who come here with a different position just make angry throwaway remarks which don't progress the conversation in any way.

    But I wholeheartedly agree that Trump is a clear and present danger. Trump seems to be crapping all over Europe (and other allies). I am reminded that the only time Nato invoked Article 5 was in defence of the US on September 12 2001, the day after the attacks in the US. Would Article 5 receive unanimous approval if invoked on behalf of the US again? After Trump's verbal attacks on Europe? Not sure.

  19. #11844
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    I'm no big fan of Lord Dampnut, that much is true (and obvious), but I don't come here to broadcast my opposition to him, whatever that means. I'm mostly just here for entertainment and to share articles I've found interesting or newsworthy. Cause let's face it, when are you ever going to get a president that behaves that way as the leader of a major country? If you have any interest in Ancient Rome at all, this is one of the rare opportunities to see something similar in your lifetime. Or to put it in another way, how often is it you get to witness the unfolding of a real life Seldon Crisis?

  20. #11845
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    ...but I don't come here to broadcast my opposition to him, whatever that means.
    Well, yeah, you kinda do. You're one of the more regular posters here in the Trump Dump.

  21. #11846
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    While I never fully bought into psychohistory as a conceit even as a teenager, if this is a Seldon Crisis, I for one welcome the possibility of a Mule appearing. Though I suppose it could be argued that Trump is, in fact, him.

  22. #11847
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Well, yeah, you kinda do. You're one of the more regular posters here in the Trump Dump.
    So are you. Are you here to broadcast your opposition to your dear leader?

    As I said, I come here primarily for entertainment. And for the occasional argument, I suppose. Yes, by doing that I make it clear where my leanings are (whom I mock, where I stand in arguments, etc), but I have no need nor interest to advertise my political beliefs and that's not the reason for me posting in this thread.

  23. #11848
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Yeah, well.

    It is weird that most of us here don't regularly espouse our deeply held political conventions. Mostly, we're here to point out that Trump is, in fact, a complete and total dipshit. The closest we get to any actual political discussion here are those rare occasions Slyfoxx puts on his Punisher Skull t-shirt, and bitches about those wily social justice leftists taking away his guns, or when Vae wants to be "ironic."

    The funny thing is, on the issue of guns at least, I'd probably side closer with Sly over, say, you or Pyrian. It's a crying shame he's such an obnoxious fucking douche, isn't it? We need more Catbarf up ins.

  24. #11849
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    While I never fully bought into psychohistory as a conceit even as a teenager, if this is a Seldon Crisis, I for one welcome the possibility of a Mule appearing. Though I suppose it could be argued that Trump is, in fact, him.
    And he is also (politically) sterile, in that Trumpism doesn't really work with any other figurehead, as a few Republicans have found out to their great dismay.

  25. #11850
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    So are you. Are you here to broadcast your opposition to your dear leader?

    As I said, I come here primarily for entertainment. And for the occasional argument, I suppose. Yes, by doing that I make it clear where my leanings are (whom I mock, where I stand in arguments, etc), but I have no need nor interest to advertise my political beliefs and that's not the reason for me posting in this thread.
    I don't know, even if you're not overwhelmingly conscious of it, the fact that you're the most consistent poster of the latest developments in this ongoing real-life satire shows how strong your interest is in how stupid things have got. Disparagement is opinion after all, and whether or not you intend to broadcast it, you're one of the louder voices in this thread by sheer dint of quantity.

    Not that this is a bad thing - no one really wants to support Trump or this entire farce he's turned government into unless they've got massive character failings themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    And he is also (politically) sterile, in that Trumpism doesn't really work with any other figurehead, as a few Republicans have found out to their great dismay.
    Heh. Anomalies aren't anomalous if they happen very often. At least in the fiction, they figured out there were problems that had to be dealt with. I'm not so sure about that quality existing in real life any more.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 26th Nov 2019 at 02:18.

Page 474 of 503 FirstFirst ... 224374424429434439444449454459464469470471472473474475476477478479484489494499 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •