TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.31%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

49 34.51%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 35.21%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.82%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.15%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Moderator and Priest
    Alright, people. Let's simmer the hell on down now.

JK, if you're being serious, and aren't just trying to troll people, then carry on. Otherwise, step on back. We don't need someone antagonizing people beyond what the topic will do itself. Nicker, yeah, JK has done shit to troll people in the past, but he does seem kindasorta sincere here, so give him the benefit of the doubt.

...jesus.

BANNED
    back to abortion.
    what do you guys disagree with currently if anything?

Moderator and Priest
    Not much, though I actually read the laws everyone is bitching about, rather than panicking on the rumors of what's contained therein.

Though I do think some people have become too cavalier about the subject. Yeah, I can understand being proud to stand up for your rights in face of opposition, but don't be so heady in your fervor that you cross the line between assertiveness and crassness.

BANNED
    not a fan of GOVT duplicity.
    GOVT thinks you should be 21 to exercise some rights, but ok for 12 and up to get BC and abortions? come'on.

Moderator and Priest
    It's like how you can join the military at 18, get hauled off to fight in a war halfway across the world, but when you get home after your year long tour, you can't drink away the PTSD demons you earned defending your country because you're not 21 yet. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Now is this a problem with the government in particular? Big L Libertarians like to think it is, that the government is some monolithic entity that enacts its will upon us in a self contained vacuum. It's not, at least not exclusively. Ours is a government for the people by the people. The reason the legal drinking age is 21 is because we the voting public were initially okay with it being changed to 21, and now don't care enough to make a big enough deal about it to get it changed. Thusly, no politicians will base their platform around it. Until new circumstances arise, or enough people make a big stink, it'll remain as-is.

This is how the US works. It's how it's always worked. Due to the fact the voting public is an ever fickle beast, it sometimes produces results that don't make sense, even when it's functioning as intended.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Jan 2020 at 17:58.

BANNED
    not sure I agree with the "functioning" area.
    the GOVT says my daughter can do with her body as she pleases at any age concerning abortion, but needs me to set up and agree to any other medical procedures including dental care.
    she can go on BC and abort w/o my know,edge or consent but god forbid she gets ditches class or does something else that is stupid because THEN I am financially responsible for her, wtf?

Moderator and Priest
    Functioning in the sense that the government is doing what the government was intended to do, acting by the will of the people it represents, not that it's producing perfectly logical laws for entirely sound reasons.

When you have two groups of people pushing opposing agendas, refusing to compromise at any point, you're going to get some weird laws that are more extreme than they need to be. It's why in California a 12 year old girl is expected to be treated as an adult when it comes to abortion issues, while in Alabama, a doctor can be charged with murder, and sent to prison for life for performing one.

This isn't a consequence of government. It's a consequence of a society deeply divided on an issue, of which sane government is but a causality.

BANNED
    this is where the fed need to completely over rule states "feelings", they fuck over people's rights just because the majority of the clowns of said state feel otherwise. the 2nd in CA and gay marriage or abortion in the conservative states.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    dude I asked for a new thread
    I only found that out afterwards. There was nothing to distinguish this particular change of topic from any of the myriad distractions you have foisted on this thread.

you are at page 497 on cheeto hitler, is this all you want to debate politically wise?
    Debate Cheeto Hitler in the Cheeto Hitler Thread? Yes! That's the topic. Considering he is one of the top five existential threats to civilisation right now, the volume of interest is not surprising. If you don't like this topic, find one you do like or start a thread on a topic of interest to you. Again, I didn't know you were not allowed to start a thread. Maybe something a little less incendiary than abortion. Something where a middle ground might actually be found.

Just a thought.

Okay, I skimmed through a couple of legislation discussions and basically the idea is that if parental consent is required, minors will seek out illegal and unsafe ways of getting an abortion, whereas they aren't likely to go to an illegal dentist. There were other arguments raised, but this seems to be the main one. A less controversial example of this is STD testing that doesn't require parental consent for the reason that minors will be less likely to seek treatment otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Considering he is one of the top five existential threats to civilisation right now, the volume of interest is not surprising.

Ian Bremmer, the political risk guru of our age, puts him at the #1 geopolitical risk of 2020, or more specifically the breakdown of US institutions following the 2020 elections given the likelihood that whoever loses, or more like their millions of followers, will protest the election as being rigged against them... Dems because Trump has already openly said he's courting international interference in the election & evidence is sure to come out (whether it's effective or not I'm not sure will be part of the concern), and Reps because Trump just has to say so (and it takes no imagination to predict him saying so) and they won't need any more than that.

so then what happens, civil war?

Civil war? Naw. Everybody will finally join hands and sing Kumbaya.

Come by here my Lord
    Wear your flack jacket and ear-pro.

On a biographical note, Alan Dershowitz reverses his opinion that a crime needs to be committed to have an impeachment and the rest of us are reminded of something he said about the Nixon Impeachment - “I’m not happy seeing Richad Nixon’s gang being tried by blacks and liberals in the District of Columbia.”

The jist of their defense is that abuse of power is not a crime. What's not clear is if the crimes committed in the process of abusing power are still crimes. It may not matter since McConnell is likely to start proceeding with a motion to dismiss the impeachment before the trial begins.

not sure I agree with the "functioning" area.
    the GOVT says my daughter can do with her body as she pleases at any age concerning abortion, but needs me to set up and agree to any other medical procedures including dental care.
    she can go on BC and abort w/o my know,edge or consent but god forbid she gets ditches class or does something else that is stupid because THEN I am financially responsible for her, wtf?
    Ok, just this one time I'll allow myself to be distracted by your deflections.

You use terms like 'do with her body as she pleases' and 'without my knowledge or consent' and that makes me think it's not so much being financially responsible for your daughter that gets your jockeys in a wad, but the fact that when it comes to her own body and reproductive healthcare, you have nothing to say about it. Do you have a problem with being financially responsible for your daughter's health and well being when you have to 'agree to any other medical procedures including dental care'? I doubt it, because you know about the procedures she requires to ensure her health, so I can only surmise it's the fact that you weren't consulted about your daughter's pregnancy and by law, aren't allowed to have control of her autonomy of her body at that point. And since you resent that point, you want to be able to refuse your daughter the healthcare she feels she needs by not having to be financially responsible for her choice. At least, that's how you're coming across in your post.

P.S. If your under-age daughter needs an abortion, then perhaps the authorities should investigate wtf is going on in your family, especially if she's not of highschool age yet.

And what the actual fuck does abortion have to do with Trump's impeachment, ffs?! Go start a new thread.

well he did ask to start a new thread but Renz decided to just chuck it in this already dumpster-fire of a thread. So maybe just ignore the whole abortion thing.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Okay, I skimmed through a couple of legislation discussions and basically the idea is that if parental consent is required, minors will seek out illegal and unsafe ways of getting an abortion, whereas they aren't likely to go to an illegal dentist. There were other arguments raised, but this seems to be the main one. A less controversial example of this is STD testing that doesn't require parental consent for the reason that minors will be less likely to seek treatment otherwise.
    I get that, but if your child ends up pregnant or with an STD, would you NOT want to know? what if your child is being molested by a teacher? or an adult elsewhere?

Obviously any parent that gives a damn would want to know things like that, and ideally parents have such a relationship with their child where they will either notice if anything is wrong or the child trusts them enough to overcome the shame and tell them.

If it was a choice between knowing and having a delayed/risky response, though, I imagine a lot of parents would want their children to be safe and healthy above all.

BANNED
    Starker please, how many of us told our parents we were getting laid? how much shit did most of you here hide from your parents?
    people do amazingly stupid shit when you are in love, sheep bring new meaning to the term "cotton mouth"... god I miss those days at the barn..........

BC and abortion can have pretty serious complications for a kid.

Even more serious complications when DIY solutions are sought out or when an abortion is not done by a professional or is delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Ian Bremmer, the political risk guru of our age, puts him at the #1 geopolitical risk of 2020, or more specifically the breakdown of US institutions following the 2020 elections given the likelihood that whoever loses, or more like their millions of followers, will protest the election as being rigged against them... Dems because Trump has already openly said he's courting international interference in the election & evidence is sure to come out (whether it's effective or not I'm not sure will be part of the concern), and Reps because Trump just has to say so (and it takes no imagination to predict him saying so) and they won't need any more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    so then what happens, civil war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Civil war? Naw. Everybody will finally join hands and sing Kumbaya.
    I really hope it doesn't come to that. Police, the military, and the intelligence community all lean right-wing to varying degrees, generally getting more right-wing the closer you are to pulling a trigger. A conflict neatly divided among party lines is not a fight liberal America can win. But if things keep going the way they have been, I don't know how they can avoid it, either.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Even more serious complications when DIY solutions are sought out or when an abortion is not done by a professional or is delayed.
    you can't fix things if the GOVT over rules you and you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I really hope it doesn't come to that. Police, the military, and the intelligence community all lean right-wing to varying degrees, generally getting more right-wing the closer you are to pulling a trigger. A conflict neatly divided among party lines is not a fight liberal America can win. But if things keep going the way they have been, I don't know how they can avoid it, either.
    Depends on how much they value their oath to serve their country over their loyalty to the party and Lord Dampnut specifically. How many right-wing military leaders would be willing to support a coup and be willing to set up a military dictatorship, for example?

And how united is "the right", exactly? How many would side with overt white nationalists and other extremists that this is sure to bring out? How much appetite does the regular US citizen have for civil war? How many would be willing to go to war instead of staying home and defending their own community, their own family?

Somehow I don't think it will be as neat as liberals vs conservatives, rather than, say, an overwhelming amount of government forces vs a small amount antigovernment forces.

BANNED
    oath is to the constitution, not to the GOVT Starker.

(Meme removed)

And how does the Constitution treat sedition? Or, more crucially, how does the US military treat sedition?

It is a mistake to think that wars of the 21st century will be fought like the wars of the 20th century. Any insurrection will look more like how the Islamic State was set up than anything with two sides.

Page 498 of 547 FirstFirst ... 248398448453458463468473478483488493494495496497498499500501502503508513518523528533538543 ... LastLast