TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.06%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

51 35.42%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 34.72%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.78%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.03%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    What? Do we have drones dropping Starbucks on people now or something? THAT'S AWESOME!
    No, but the strike would probably only improve the look of the place. If it dropped fancy American coffee joints, though, at best we'd get something like this:

Moderator and Priest
    No, sometimes they really do lack some foresight. Here we have this app, screwing up at the 11th hour, and creating an embarrassment for the entire DNC. Certain you'd think that something that mission critical would be tested and tested again right? Q&A would be performed? That's what was expected. From what I've read, the FCC even came forward to help them along with the process.

Apparently they turned them down, took everything on faith, and were rewarded with today's results. Bully for you, DNC!

In general, the Democrats come across to me as incredibly naive. These are people who have been working in Washington for 20-30 years now. They should know better than to assume that believing they have the truth on their side should be enough. That the mere presentation will sway the American people. It has to be a show. They have to make their opposition stutter, to look guilty even while they win the impeachment proceedings. The Democrats failed to do that, and they're left with something that can easily be spun against them, a desperate party unable to accept that Trump won in 2016.

The whole thing has been like watching a bunch of socially awkward A/V geeks try to outsass the school's biggest smartass. Yeah, they may be right, but that's not enough. They have to look right too. They can't just stand there, holding their asses in their hands while the tables get turned on them.

The Republicans know this. That's why they put on such a show. All that righteous indignation. All those inspired speeches in front of the House and Senate. Those standing ovations. Fists were slammed. Tears were shed. My god, it was beautiful! How did the Democrats respond to that? With calm, reasonable arguments. Simple declarations of such damning facts.

...and Schiff, looking at the camera like a deer caught in headlights.

The Democrats will fail because they haven't quite cottoned on to the fact they're no longer running a government where level heads prevail, but acting in a goddamn reality TV show.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    But uh, yeah, a delay in reporting results in a state apparently means Democrats are totally as corrupt as a president who abuses the power of his office to try to kneecap his political opponents.
    Wrong. The Democrats are still the most corrupt. What Trump did was merely inappropriate.

Moderator and Priest
    Though it's not all doom and gloom. This one GOP guy quit the party over protest to how the Republicans have handled the impeachment.

Hell, if this keeps up, there might be 3 people who quit by the end of the month.

Democrats have an uphill battle before them, yes, but don't think the path is so easy for Lord Dampnut either. He has created a large amount of Democratic voters who are ready to crawl over broken glass to vote against him no matter the candidate and he has put off a lot of other people by his rhetoric and actions as well -- farmers who have fallen victim to his trade wars, blue collar workers whose jobs never came back, suburban moms who are viscerally repulsed by all the vulgarity and cruelty, etc. And if Democrats aren't right now out there working their butts off registering every Puerto Rican they can find in Florida, they are being criminally negligent. There's a lot of disappointment to go around and it's a game of extremely small numbers.

Refusing to testify doesn't seem to be working out all that well for one of Lord Dampnut's best people:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...chment-enemies

With Senate Republicans on track to acquit Donald Trump on Wednesday, Washington is bracing for what an unshackled Trump does next. Republicans briefed on Trump’s thinking believe that the president is out for revenge against his adversaries. “It’s payback time,” a prominent Republican told me last week. “He has an enemies list that is growing by the day,” another source said. Names that came up in my conversations with Republicans included Adam Schiff, Jerry Nadler, Mitt Romney, and John Bolton. “Trump’s playbook is simple: go after people who crossed him during impeachment.”

Several sources said Bolton is at the top of the list. Trump’s relationship with Bolton was badly damaged by the time Bolton left the White House in September. Trump has since blamed his former national security adviser for leaking details of his forthcoming memoir that nearly derailed the impeachment trial by pressuring Republicans to call witnesses. In the book Bolton reportedly alleges Trump told him directly that Ukraine aid was tied to Ukraine announcing investigations into the Bidens (Bolton has denied being a source of the leak).

The campaign against Bolton has already begun. On January 23, the White House sent a cease and desist letter to Bolton’s lawyer demanding that Bolton’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, not release the book in March without removal of certain information. Trump intends to ratchet up the pressure, and some Republicans close to the White House fear how far Trump will take things after he’s gotten off for a second time (Trump famously made his July 25 call to Volodymyr Zelensky the day after Robert Mueller testified before Congress.) “Trump has been calling people and telling them to go after Bolton,” a source briefed on the private conversations said. The source added that Trump wants Bolton to be criminally investigated. A person familiar with Trump’s thinking said Trump believes Bolton might have mishandled classified information. According to a former official, the White House is planning to leak White House emails from Bolton that purportedly allege Bolton abused his position at the National Security Council. The official said that West Wing officials have discussed releasing emails “showing [Bolton] was doing pay-to-play,” the official said. A person close to Bolton dismissed the story. “John plays things straight,” the person said.

The White House declined to comment.
    In other news, it's good to be the king:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/pol...239913588.html

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said all Americans should “stand proudly” during the national anthem, and publicly chastises those who don’t as disrespectful of the troops and the flag.

But during the national anthem at his own Super Bowl watch party Sunday night, a brief video posted to Instagram shows Trump greeting guests, adjusting his chair, and straightening his suit jacket as other attendees — including first lady Melania Trump and their teenage son — stand with their hands over their hearts. As “The Star Spangled Banner” crescendoes, Trump raises both of his hands in the air, and twirls them around as if conducting the music.
    [...]
    Last edited by Starker; 5th Feb 2020 at 04:44.

No, sometimes they really do lack some foresight.
    Nobody has perfect foresight. The fact that you, and people like you, expect them to labor under those sorts of expectations while the Republicans get praise any time they manage to be something other than completely abysmal is a big part of the problem.

The Democrats will fail because they haven't quite cottoned on to the fact they're no longer running a government where level heads prevail, but acting in a goddamn reality TV show.
    Here we go again with the centrist playbook of prescribed failure. If the Democrats try to be Republicans-lite - again - all they'll accomplish is being bad at it, while losing the appeal of actually being good at/for anything.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Here we go again with the centrist playbook of prescribed failure. If the Democrats try to be Republicans-lite - again - all they'll accomplish is being bad at it, while losing the appeal of actually being good at/for anything.
    And what has adhering to the old standards accomplished them thus far? At some point, we're all going to have to acknowledge that we don't live in Old America anymore, and change our strategies accordingly.

Pelosi ripping these pages in half may be petty, but that was boss af.

BANNED
    https://news.yahoo.com/poll-just-gav...wer&soc_trk=fb
    A new poll just gave Trump the highest economic approval rating of any president in the last 20 years
    polls are bullshit & mostly meaningless, that said he did this while under impeachment.

democrats are getting played by troll trump like a fiddle.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Yeah, that's how they won sweeping victories at midterms. Oh, wait.

Iowa caucuses don't look good, sure, especially with your media so eager to sensationalise everything. Already Republicans are spinning a conspiracy that DNC has fixed the result for Buttigieg, that well-known Democratic establishment candidate from a small Midwestern city whose name everyone had to learn to pronounce during the last year.

If he runs against Bernie, sure, Lord Dampnut winning seems more likely than not. Republicans have clearly been salivating at the prospect and Lord Dampnut has even been trying out a few communist lines as a small taste of things to come.
    Why the hell would they rig it for Buttigieg? He's a practical unknown with only middling poll numbers. If they were gonna rig it, they'd rig it for Biden or Warren.
    thought it was rigged for mini Mike. since he did basically buy off the DNC, glad to see the current numbers giving Mike the finger. Biden seems fucked at this point, glad to see Bernie get some level of justice and to see Pete doing well, although shit like this will keep popping up to kills his chances

https://sfist.com/2020/02/04/watch-a...didate-is-gay/

goes to show democrats have a long way to go still.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    Pelosi ripping these pages in half may be petty, but that was boss af.
    yeah, but it just shows trump is playing democrats like a fiddle.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    yeah, but it just shows trump is playing democrats like a fiddle.
    All he had to do was convince an entire political party to break their oath of office to bail him out of trouble. Well played, sir!

Pelosi's the master of shade for sure. And Lord Dampnut's still impeached, only the third US president in history to have been.

Moderator and Priest
    He also holds the record for being the subject of the shortest impeachment trial ever. On top of that, out of the 13 impeachment trials the Senate has held over the last 250 years, his is the only one not to call witnesses.

Dude's on a roll!

BANNED
    All he had to do was convince an entire political party to break their oath of office to bail him out of trouble. Well played, sir!
    WHAT I meant was that the WWE/howard stern/reality show president is having the retard democrats act as retarded as him.......... there are no fucking adults in office right now and when it comes to shit like this trump just wins, I mean that mother fucker beat Vince McMahon for gods sake............. how the FUCK can democrats compete against that? they sure are trying but they won't beat him.

I think Pelosi's little stunt was poorly considered. It plays into Trump's argument that impeachment was motivated by "unhinged" sore loser Democrats who can't accept that he won.

On a different note, cheers to Mitt Romney! They got one Republican anyway. This Senate trial has been like a professional wrestling match, with lots of fake drama and a predetermined outcome. It did help Pelosi fend off the young reps who would have challenged her leadership again. It also helped Trump consolidate control over the Republican party. If any blue state Republicans in Congress thought they could get re-elected by playing independent and going against Trump, the impeachment process killed that hope.

Now we can concentrate on the primaries. I was gleeful to see Joe Biden down in 4th in Iowa (so far). He was running neck and neck with Sanders in the Iowa polls. I guess a lot of his supporters were convinced to flip for Buttigieg. This really puts pressure on him to make a strong showing here in NH, which he has been neglecting. He hasn't made as many visits as the others, and when he is here, he doesn't really interact with voters. Also, he doesn't seem to have many boots on the ground - I've yet to hear from one or receive a single mailing. And he's been almost completely missing from television and YouTube ads. The only thing he's got going for him in NH is endorsements. So I think the best he can hope for is 3rd, but he's at risk of finishing 4th again. He's still leading in Nevada, where he was putting more resources, but that race appears to be tightening if you believe the polls. So there's a real chance he won't win anything until South Carolina and he'll be heading into Super Tuesday with no momentum. I can't wait to see him drop out. I will do a dance.

Bloomberg's not even on a ballot until Super Tuesday. He entered way too late and doesn't have much of a ground game. I can't wait to see him drop out also. He's the one person in the Democratic field that I absolutely cannot cast a vote for. If Biden somehow wins the nomination, I could probably hold my nose and reluctantly cast a vote for him over Trump, if the vote looks close anyway. But if it's Bloomberg vs. Trump, I'm staying home.

BANNED
    Mitt played the "God " card, so I am betting the rest of the Christians are going to pile up on the magic underwear POS moron.
    Romney, R-Utah, said in a speech on the Senate floor that he would vote to convict the president for abuse of power and to acquit on the obstruction of Congress charge.

“I swore an oath before God to exercise impartial justice,” he said. “I am profoundly religious. My faith is at the heart of who I am,” adding that he believed Trump was “guilty of an appalling abuse of public trust.”

Moderator and Priest
    WHAT I meant was that the WWE/howard stern/reality show president is having the retard democrats act as retarded as him.......... there are no fucking adults in office right now and when it comes to shit like this trump just wins, I mean that mother fucker beat Vince McMahon for gods sake............. how the FUCK can democrats compete against that? they sure are trying but they won't beat him.
    Yeah, well, I'm not entirely convinced that being the only adult in the room will do them any favors. Trump has effectively changed the rules of engagement, and they're going to have to adapt to this, or die.

Mitt played the "God " card, so I am betting the rest of the Christians are going to pile up on the magic underwear POS moron.
    The QAnon'ers will have him on the Epstein flow chart within the week.

So, as expected, the Senate has chosen to not hold Lord Dampnut to account for his abuse of power. It was very interesting to watch and the Democrats gave an amazing performance, especially Adam Schiff. Haven't heard better oratory in quite a while and his "right matters" speech I think will go down in history. And the failure on the Republican side was just as great. What surprised me was that they made very little effort to defend Lord Dampnut on any actual substance. At the end, their argument boiled down to just "Yeah, he's guilty, so what?" It was a show purely for the TV and a lazy one at that (Pam Bondi especially stood out). The political calculation Republicans here made was that people just don't care about corruption and they made their stance very clear by blocking witnesses and testimony, so we'll see how it plays out for them in the elections.

Still Subjective
    It'll play out just fine.

Trump will win easily this time. That's the USA for you. Yeehaa!

Moderator and Priest
    Hey Starker, GMD just messaged to congratulate me for laying the smackdown on you. In case some wires got crossed, I haven't actually tried smacking you down even once, so if I came across like that, then forgive me.

BANNED

renz, I'll forgive you :kiss:

Well it was a nice run, folks.

Fortunately some developing countries that used to look up to the US still have a vision of what we used to call the American Dream and are making positive steps in that direction according to the classic liberal democratic principles of the US Constitution (sans the slavery bits and a few other dead ends). So I won't say the experiment was a complete waste of everybody's time.

Thanks for playing those of you that did your best.
    If we're fortunate, maybe we'll get a second chance at it.

Hey Starker, GMD just messaged to congratulate me for laying the smackdown on you. In case some wires got crossed, I haven't actually tried smacking you down even once, so if I came across like that, then forgive me.
    I've no idea what he's talking about either. Must be some Q thing.

Meanwhile, it's midnight in Washington:

Page 507 of 559 FirstFirst ... 7257407457462467472477482487492497502503504505506507508509510511512517522527532537542547552557 ... LastLast