TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

28 18.79%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

54 36.24%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 33.56%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.68%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 8.72%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    You know the story of Adolf Schicklgruber son of Alois?

I'll be surprised if Trump doesn't win. It is the way.

This BLM issue is so toxic now that one can't even talk about it. The murder 3 charge instead of murder 1 for example - one cannot even (badly) explain the difference without being accused of being an apologist or something.

The videos coming out of these protests/riots are unreal. The police are being dicks. The looters and rioters are being dicks. It's one big dick fest.

jus like at yo mums

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    The police are being dicks. The looters and rioters are being dicks. It's one big dick fest.
    WELCOME TO AMERICA!

So, first the official report said George Floyd resisted arrest and the police barely managed to restrain and handcuff him, then a video emerged showing that nothing like that happened and that he let the police handcuff him without any issues.

Then they said he died of an unrelated medical condition with the police violence at most only contributing to his death...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52885964

George Floyd, the African-American man whose death has sparked civil unrest, died from asphyxia (lack of oxygen), a private post-mortem examination found.

He died due to compression on his neck and back by Minneapolis police officers, medical examiners hired by the Floyd family said.

The findings differ from an official preliminary examination carried out by the county medical examiner.

It did not find evidence of "traumatic asphyxia or strangulation".

The official examination also said underlying health conditions played a role in Mr Floyd's death.

But the two doctors hired by the Floyd family found the death was a homicide, a statement from its legal team said.

"The cause of death in my opinion is asphyxia, due to compression to the neck - which can interfere with oxygen going to the brain - and compression to the back, which interferes with breathing," Dr Michael Baden, a former New York City medical examiner and one of the pair, said at a news conference.

[...]

Dr Baden said there was "no other health issue that could cause or contribute to the death".

The findings contradict those of a preliminary post-mortem examination that was included in the criminal complaint against Mr Chauvin, who has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.

The medical examiner noted in that report that Mr Floyd had underlying heart conditions and said the combination of these, "potential intoxicants in his system" and being restrained by the officers "likely contributed to his death".

The full official death examination is yet to be released by the office of the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. It says it is awaiting more results from laboratory studies.

The Floyd family and their lawyers say the charge against Mr Chauvin should be increased to first-degree murder. They say the private post-mortem examination proves two other officers filmed kneeling on his back also contributed to his death.

[...]

The case has reignited deep-seated anger over police killings of black Americans and racism. It follows the high-profile cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Eric Garner in New York and others that have driven the Black Lives Matter movement.

On Sunday, mostly peaceful demonstrations once again gave way to violence in many cities, with clashes erupting between police and protesters.

Police cars were burned, buildings were torched and shops looted in several places. Dozens of cities imposed curfews but they were defied.

On Monday, President Trump told state governors they had been "weak" and had to get "much tougher", and utilise troops from the National Guard, thousands of whom have already been activated in two dozen states.

"You've got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you'll never see this stuff again," Mr Trump said in a video conference call, according to US media.

There have been scenes of violence in Washington DC in recent nights, including near the White House.

Demonstrators lit fire to buildings including a historic church known as the church of the presidents overnight on Sunday.

Many videos shared on social media from across the US appeared to show riot police responding disproportionately to demonstrators. Dozens of attacks targeting journalists have been reported.
    [...]

Moderator and Priest
    I guess this is it, yall. This is the bugaloo so many clamored for. Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I guess this is it, yall. This is the bugaloo so many clamored for. Enjoy the ride.
    A majority of the boogaloo preppers are ready to go arm-in-arm with the Guard to suppress rioters. If there's one thing this is showing, it's that- as usual- the folks who claim to be armed to prevent government overreach are all too happy to support the government.

Now, if we start seeing people returning fire against trigger-happy cops, then it's full-on boogaloo time.

Moderator and Priest
    Right now, I'm giving it a 10% chance that we'll see that come to pass. It all depends on whether Trump makes good on his threats to deploy the military in response to the rioters, and how extreme the military response is if he does.

Really, what I'm more worried about are the boogaloo preppers taking matters into their own hands. Unlike the military, if they get in on the action, they'll probably be far less discriminate in who they decide to fire upon, likely not differentiating between peaceful protestors, and actual rioters. The situation would then escalate, and we'll end up with even more of a total clusterfuck than what we already have.

I'm thinking that if we can manage to get to Friday without anyone on any side shooting an actual gun into a crowd, we're probably good.

Moderator and Priest
    Seems a lot of people on Facebook think that Antifa are this massive, organized insurgency serving as the personal army of the Democrats, and includes a number of politicians among their numbers. I saw someone compare them as being the much the same as the IRA is to the Senn Fein.

With this much outright lunacy going on, and our leadership stoking it every chance they get, does anyone really think that things are going to end peacefully here? I expect we'll see someone do something incredibly stupid over the next few days, and it will serve as the catalyst for all other kinds of stupidity from that point on. I don't know who will do it, the rioters, the protestors, the bugaloo bunch, the police, the national guard, the army (if they get involved), but with tensions so high, and so many variables in play, it's almost certain someone will.

We're sitting on a powder keg of hurt feelings, paranoia, and fear, and I have a feeling it's about to explode.

Upon further review I'm seeing a lot more anti-police sentiment in gun owner circles than I thought existed. Veterans in particular seem very displeased at the use of force against non-violent protesters. I've been seeing clips of armed vets showing up to protests.

Powder keg seems the right term.

Moderator and Priest
    I've seen plenty of clips of police officers bowing down in solidarity with the protestors. This isn't an issue with cleanly defined lines, existing as a perfect dichotomy between those on the left, and those on the right. We're host to a fluid, moderate core we never pay attention to because it's always overshadowed by the spectacles of the extremes.

We're all victims of politics for the sake of politics.

I'm thinking that if we can manage to get to Friday without anyone on any side shooting an actual gun into a crowd, we're probably good.
    Uh, we already passed that milestone: https://www.businessinsider.com/loui...-report-2020-6

Oh our crazy cousins to the south. I don't do prayers so I'll just have to hope like hell you get through this and come out a better country in the end. The night 45 got handed the keys to the country, I knew it was a bad thing but I never imagined it would be this bad.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've barely been able to get any work done the last few days. Just reading twitter and feeling depressed about where America is heading. You've got one of the wealthiest countries in the world, but how is that money being used? The 3 wealthies families own as much as the poorest 50% of the country. And a huge chunk of taxpayer money is going to militarizing the police. Why do cops need riot gear and APCs? To keep the bottom 50% of the country in check.

America was supposed to be the good superpower goddammit. While Russia and China get more and more authoritarian, at least we could look across the pond to the USA, and know we had an ally who more or less shared our values. Trump is withdrawing from international agreements and embrasing fascism, and a depressingly large chunk of Americans see no problem with that. It doesn't have to be like this.

Seems a lot of people on Facebook think that Antifa are this massive, organized insurgency serving as the personal army of the Democrats, and includes a number of politicians among their numbers. I saw someone compare them as being the much the same as the IRA is to the Senn Fein.
    Well, anyone can say they are "antifa":

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...avior-n1221456

A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.

The spokesperson said the account violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts. Twitter suspended the account after a tweet that incited violence.

As protests were taking place in multiple states across the U.S. Sunday night, the newly created account, @ANTIFA_US, tweeted, “Tonight’s the night, Comrades,” with a brown raised fist emoji and “Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …”

This isn’t the first time Twitter has taken action against fake accounts engaged in hateful conduct linked to Identity Evropa, according to the spokesperson.

The antifa movement — a network of loosely organized radical groups who use direct action to fight the far-right and fascism — has been targeted by President Donald Trump as the force behind some of the violence and property destruction seen at some protests, though little evidence has been provided for such claims.
    [...]

Of course now it's the time of fake accounts spreading non-sense violence to hit the movement.

Ah, the freedom of expression backdoors.....

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Trump is withdrawing from international agreements and embrasing fascism, and a depressingly large chunk of Americans see no problem with that. It doesn't have to be like this.
    Welcome to reality.....people hate violence only when they have not the kingpin by their side. If they got a glorified kingpin talking "JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED WITH BULLETS AND PRISON" they start *loving* authoritarism (with the fake and childish promise of not being touched by the violence, of course eventually they'll be touched).

I have to cross post this comment I made to that hideous photo of Trump holding the Bible, taken just after tear gassing people calling out for help so he could walk over to a church he didn't even enter. It's a wonder that Bible didn't burst into flames.

The Bible according to Trump, One Corinthians 13:4-8

Hate is impatient. Hate is cruel. It envies; it boasts; it is proud. It dishonors others; it is self-seeking; it is easily angered; it keeps a record of wrongs. Hate delights in evil, but despises the truth. It never protects, never trusts, never hopes, never perseveres.

The videos coming out of these protests/riots are unreal. The police are being dicks. The looters and rioters are being dicks. It's one big dick fest.
    Honestly, I find this to be a massive - and, frankly, quite dickish - false equivalency.

So we're still in the midst of a pandemic, and now we've seen two big protests erupt across the nation.
    Please don't confuse protesting with rioting and looting. And yes, I fully expect to see a sudden increase in the number of COVID-19 cases and related deaths in the coming weeks. The epidemic hasn't gone away just because states have been bullied and threatened into lifting stay at home orders and re-opening businesses, contrary to what some in our government want us to believe.

I doubt there will be a sudden increase. Daily positives (whole country) are continuing to decline so far - but seem to have slowed down a bit. Might even start to go up again (or already going ... too early to tell for sure), but i think even then it would be slow. Sudden and considerable small flareups still might happen here and there - but probably not anything even remotely NY scale.

Daily positives is a horribly lagging stat to follow for this, so my random guess is based on how people behave in general - most of the people will continue to avoid unnecessary contacts whenever they can. That helps a lot. Even a tiny change in infection rate can have huge effects - quirk of exponential functions. If the infection rate rises, but fails to get past 1.0 - the virus dies out. Granted, it will be an elongated shit-show if it stays close to 1.0 - but at least that is manageable.

People are very reluctant to go back to their "normal", pre covid, behavior - it is next to impossible for everyone to forget that the virus is still present. That will have an effect even when everyone would be forced to go back to work under pre-covid working conditions (inc. everyone who lost their job) as you can not force anything else beyond that to go back to "normal" too:
    https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/
    https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobi..._Report_en.pdf

So, there is some hope on the virus front. Felt i needed to share that.

Really, what I'm more worried about are the boogaloo preppers taking matters into their own hands. Unlike the military, if they get in on the action, they'll probably be far less discriminate in who they decide to fire upon, likely not differentiating between peaceful protestors, and actual rioters. The situation would then escalate, and we'll end up with even more of a total clusterfuck than what we already have.

We're on the same page here actually. My biggest worry is that if we don't at least make people FEEL that they're safe in outlying areas, they will start organizing into armed militias. I know you disagreed with me when I initially predicted this evolution of events (left wing aligned protests sparking an armed right wing counter-reaction) but I would politely ask you to consider it wasn't me saying that in isolation. I was mostly paraphrasing analysis from public geopolitical experts such as the columns published in Politico.

Latin Kings are already doing "kill on sight" for looters in their neighborhoods. We're also starting to see some armed white militias pop up in places like Pittsburgh.

These need to be brought under control fast before we get an actual hot civil war.

My proposal for police: Start by holding them to the same standards as any infantry grunt

Military members with a basic security clearance (nothing cool. Just your basic one almost everyone has) are followed to require a relatively strict code of conduct. Beating your wife? DUIs? Violent crimes? extremely bad credit problems? Failing annual mental health assessments? Repeated ethics complaints? Adultery involving another married service member of their spouse?

All of those will get your ass booted out of any combat role you are in and quite possibly give you a bar from re-enlistment. My suggestion is that any cop who is having any of those problems is immediately put on a desk job and barred from participating in any job that involves carrying a weapon including non-lethal ones. Also end qualified immunity.

So this is for once me dropping internet stuff and just being a dude. My perspective is NOT your average person's and I'm biased towards a certain view...not even your average veteran's....because I spent almost a year as a member of an "advisory" team for the Afghan National Police working a spec ops dude (who was hilariously a dead ringer for Beavis). Those dudes. A literal third world militia...were more professional than American police are. I'm just grateful that the gun clinger types are finally figuring out that the police aren't really on your side the way they historically have thought.

The grain of consensus that could possibly allow this to be defused is that a majority on both sides seem to agree the death was unwarranted and police need better accountability. I even read that freaking Rush Limbaugh said that which is astounding.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 2nd Jun 2020 at 11:41.

Moderator and Priest

Yet more videos emerge of the police rioting:

https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/sta...62905383596032

Still Subjective
    Is that rioting? Looks like standard crowd control to me.

One thing that is coming out of this is people's obvious ignorance re: what the police do as standard. Whilst there are many many videos (e.g. on Reddit) showing US police being dicks about 25% of these videos show acceptable crowd control tactics or are so unclear that one wonders about the intellectual abilities of the knee-jerking commenters.

Not calling you that btw Starker.

Is that rioting? Looks like standard crowd control to me.
    Abruptly charging full-tilt into a peaceful crowd and slugging the cameraman is what you think is standard crowd control? If that's "standard" then yes, that's a problem. A group of people charging and violently attacking bystanders indiscriminately is very much a riot.

Page 544 of 565 FirstFirst ... 44294444494499504509514519524529534539540541542543544545546547548549554559564 ... LastLast