TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

26 18.06%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

51 35.42%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 34.72%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

4 2.78%
  • I don't know what's going on!

13 9.03%
Page 59 of 558 FirstFirst ... 91419242934394449545556575859606162636469747984899499104109159309 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 13944

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, here's how it works.

The states are given electoral votes based upon the size of their population, but those votes don't hew perfectly with them. Depending on how things get spun, there can be situations where a candidate wins the popular vote, aka has more people voting for them, but loses the electoral, because this candidate lost by narrow margins in states with bigger electoral votes.

Like right now, out of about 100 million votes cast, Trump is leading Hillary with 244 electoral votes to her 209, but he only has about a 1% advantage of the popular vote over her.

@Jason Moyer, Pennsylvania just now flipped from Clinton for Trump with 85% of the precincts reporting in. If she loses it, the election is over and done with. Stick a fork in her.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    What's this popular vote that's being talked about? What's the significance?
    The popular vote is the actual total count of votes for each candidate. The significance is nothing whatsoever from a legal standpoint, but IMO should be the deciding factor rather than this crazy electoral college system we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Pyrian: no, it is what it is.
    That doesn't change anything. If what it is, is "rigged", then rigged is what it is. Okay, not rigged, but weighted. Weighted against the will of the people.

It's one of the reasons why we have the EC. When elections are so close, like they are right now, it's there to be the deciding factor.
    That's historically inaccurate, and logically absurd. By dividing the vote into chunks, any one of which could be too close for comfort, it substantially increases the chance of a Florida-2000 situation. Heck, we could end up with two of them right now.

Though it is funny that those screaming about the electoral college favoring Hillary over the popular vote will probably be mum about it now that the shoe's on the other foot.
    Of course they will. Partisanship over sense.

Just look at the bright side. If Trump wins, it might be a bad day for a lot of Americans and most of the rest of the world, but it will be a godsend for comedians. Let's be honest, Obama has been a really boring president to make fun of. And Clinton doesn't even begin to compare against the orange crazy hair birther king.

Thank you, Renz and Pyrian. Seems rather complicated. I was asking because the New York Times (I think) apparently predicts Clinton winning the popular vote.

I find it significant that a large number of Republicans don't seem to know that it's bad manners to wear a hat indoors.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man I did not want to wake up to news like this. What are you guys doing over there STOP IT

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That's historically inaccurate, and logically absurd. By dividing the vote into chunks, any one of which could be too close for comfort, it substantially increases the chance of a Florida-2000 situation. Heck, we could end up with two of them right now.
    From what I understand, which I'll admit isn't much, when a candidate wins the electoral vote, but loses the popular, it's rarely ever over 1% anyway, so it ends up being more like a particularly large rounding error.

Man, the votes are so close in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, they're literally a quarter of a percent away from each other.

And you know what that means, right, people? RECOUNT! I think it's legally required if a vote comes under the 0.5% margin of error.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 9th Nov 2016 at 00:36.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Worst. Infographic. Ever. Looks like an intestinal tract.

Well, this election is a turd, so that's appropriate.

Do over!

The reasoning behind the Electoral College (for those wondering) is to avoid favoritism for candidates from a highly populated state. So say candidate X was born and/or was a Senator in New York, it was deemed unfair that they would get 90% (or whatever) of New York's votes, just because of the familiarity factor. The Electoral College system sort of evens that out, so you can only get so much out of each state.

(hope that made sense)

I understood what you said, thank you.

And maybe (but not really) that was okay when we were 13 states that considered themselves a federation of otherwise sovereign entities, but it's not okay now.

Moderator and Priest
    I could argue that it's antiquated these days, considering how very obviously efficient we are at counting ballots these days. But I wouldn't say it's breaking the system entirely by always giving undeserving candidates the victory in close races.

It's just what it is. I honestly wouldn't care if we kept it up, or abolished it entirely.

Though right now, Hillary is losing both the popular and EC votes. By the barest of margins, sure. But she's still losing.

Congratulations to California and Massachusetts and a step in the right direction for Florida and North Dakota. I wish we had the opportunity to vote for legalising marijuana. Bad news in Nebraska (IMO) voting to reinstate the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I understood what you said, thank you.
    I kind of read that as "yeah, we get it, we're not morons here, OK Brethren?" Hopefully I'm reading that wrong!

Anyway, IMO it's a strange system, and I sort of get the idea behind it, but I don't think I really agree with it. I would hope the founding fathers know I'm bright enough not to vote for someone simply because they were born in my state.

Moderator and Priest
    Rhode Island just went blue, but Pennsylvania and Michigan just widened its gap for Trump to about 50,000 votes with only 2% of the precincts left uncounted. That puts it above the usual margin of error, so if it slides red, the election's over. Trump will win with 285 electoral votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I kind of read that as "yeah, we get it, we're not morons here, OK Brethren?" Hopefully I'm reading that wrong!
    You are.

I was going to say it did make sense but that might be read as I thought it made 'sense' when I'm not sure it does.

Tonight I started my preloads of Dishonored 2 and Tyranny. Somehow that seems appropriate.

Even the weather here...jesus. Woke up, Clinton had pulled to over 70% in the 538 forecast, sun was shining, 60/clear/beautiful, went into vote...went to work, felt great, got shit done I'd been wanting to do for awhile...work went awry, left way later than was acceptable, walked home 3 miles in a cold downpour while refreshing the FB app on my 15 year old phone completely aghast at the early returns. What a fucking week.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm more amazed you can get Facebook on a 15 year old phone.

But yeah, it's pretty safe to say that the Republicans now hold two of the branches of government, and will probably soon hold SCOTUS. The funny thing is that I'm sure the Republicans are just as amazed at this as anyone.

Though considering the tactics used to get here, and the fact that a lot of people ignored a lot of bad things to Trump in office (though admittedly, they would've done the same for Hillary), this doesn't bode well for future political discourse.

edit: yeah, Trump just won Pennsylvania, and he's about to win Wisconsin and Arizona. It is done.

President Trump, everyone.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    That looks much an intestine. Suspect the result will fit the analogy.

Seen on Twitter earlier:

The UK: Brexit is the stupidest thing a country can do to itself

The US: Hold my beer

Sit back and watch the ensuing comedy I guess and hope Trump doesn't get to exercise much executive power. Enjoy your bed full of shit I guess.

Moderator and Priest
    Gonna be an interesting 4 years, let me tell you.

The Democrats best hope now is that Trump ends up being a Manchurian Candidate for them. Runs on Republican populist positions, leans more centrist while in office. Considering his past history, it's possible.

verbose douchebag
    I'm trying to imagine a worse choice for president in any country in recent history. Even Sylvio Berlusconi looks stately next to Trump.
    This is equal parts hilarious and chilling.

I wrote-in Cicciolina like I do every year.

What I have been telling all the Trump people on Facebook is that it is now THEIR responsibility to make this horrible excuse for a human being ACCOUNTABLE for all the awful things he has said and all the awful things he has done. They do not get to now say "oh well it's out of my hands" because THEY voted for this piece of shit. This is a person who has said he could grab stray pussy and shoot people in the street and not lose support. This is a person who encouraged assassination of Hillary should she win. This is a person who told his supporters to beat a person holding a sign at his rally. This is an embarrassment. It is THEIR responsibility as an American to change this turd into something which can lead the nation. This is a mysogynist idiot who only values women for their looks and makes it obvious he does so. This is THEIR responsibility. They do not get to say oh well. THEY did this. THEY are responsible for this egomaniacal child bully. They do not get to skip out on their responsibility now. He will be a world leader and he IS unfit. I hold HIM and THEM accountable.

Page 59 of 558 FirstFirst ... 91419242934394449545556575859606162636469747984899499104109159309 ... LastLast