TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

29 18.83%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

54 35.06%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

50 32.47%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

5 3.25%
  • I don't know what's going on!

16 10.39%
Page 611 of 613 FirstFirst ... 111361511561566571576581586591596601606607608609610611612613 LastLast
Results 15,251 to 15,275 of 15313

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dumped! ✮✮✮

Today is the day two Michigan legislators are being alternately cajoled and threatened to disenfranchise the majority of voters so that Trump can win the state. Although it is against the law for them to do so he will tell them they can be pardoned by him for giving him the electoral votes which are not his by law. Will they resist and do the right thing? I can't even imagine having to contemplate such a choice. Ruining over two hundred years of democracy for one man would not even be a choice for me, not for him nor Biden nor anyone, but that is what they will face and deal with. Will they bring down democracy in the US? We will know Monday.

I thought a president couldn't pardon state crimes?

Still Subjective
    It'll never happen Tocky, it's too crazy.

There were faithless electors in the 2016 election voting against Trump, so something like it can happen. But state rules are all different. I don't know if a few faithless electors could swing a whole state (the whole set of electors), as opposed to just their individual votes. It's not a thing we've ever had to think about or deal with.

I guess while I'm posting I can post my pick for op/ed of the day, that I know of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Trump's monumental sulk: president retreats from public eye as Covid ravages US

There was one thing that even Donald Trump’s harshest critics were never able to accuse him of: invisibility.

The outgoing US president held endless campaign rallies, verbally sparred with reporters on the way to his helicopter and spent so long on the phone to Fox News shows that even pliable hosts had to gently but firmly hang up. He was the master of saturating every news cycle with his voice and image.

Yet two weeks after his defeat by Joe Biden in the election, Trump has effectively gone missing in action. Day after day passes without a public sighting. He does not hold press conferences any more. He has even stopped calling into conservative media.

For critics, it is evidence of a monumental sulk as Trump contemplates his imminent loss of power and exit from the White House. In their view, it is also a staggering abrogation of responsibility as the coronavirus pandemic surges to new highs, infecting more than 158,000 Americans – and killing in excess of 1,100 – every day.

Amid the deafening silence, Trump’s only “proof of life” since Biden’s victory has been a handful of public events at the White House and a military cemetery, weekend outings to his golf course in Virginia and a barrage of tweets airing grievances and pushing baseless conspiracy theories that the election was stolen from him.

“I don’t think we’ve had a president since Richard Nixon who is as far in the bunker and detached from the country as Donald Trump is right now,” said Larry Jacobs, director of the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance at the University of Minnesota.

“Donald Trump has not only suffered a catastrophic political defeat, he’s clearly also suffering from a deep emotional break. This behavior is even more erratic than usual and he has retreated. He has put himself in a form of psychological isolation. His emotional state is clearly abysmal. In the popular lexicon, he’s lost it.”

Trump’s hermit-like status has proved irresistible to comedians, historians and overseas commentators. He has been compared to a tyrant in a fragile democracy holed up in a presidential palace and plotting either an internal coup or a sudden escape across the border. Late-night TV host Stephen Colbert observed: “Well, history famously holds happy endings for autocrats who lose and then retreat to their bunker.”

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    It'll never happen Tocky, it's too crazy.
    I think the last four years have taught us that anything can happen. Democracy isn't just fragile, this administration has shown us that it's fake. It's a collective hallucination of an abstract concept imagined as something concrete and inviolable, but anyone who peeks behind the curtain isn't going to find anything more than an empty room.

Democracy makes us extremely vulnerable to evil men. Democracy was Hitler's foot in the door. Democracy was Trump's foot in the door. American democracy has given us a hundred years of imperialist monsters with blood on their hands. All that's happened in the last eighty years wasn't just predictable, it was inevitable.

Speaking of Nixon... Carl Bernstein, the veteran journalist whose work with his then-colleague Bob Woodward exposed the Watergate scandal, told The Hill: "We are watching a mad king in the final days of his reign, willing to scorch the earth of his country to bring down the whole system. It is sabotage. He is the first president in our history to really sabotage the interests of the United States and its people by his total willingness to undermine the electoral system."

I agree. He would burn each and every one of our institutions and each of us individually to placate his ego. The degree of his megalomania has yet to be plumbed and it's damned scary to contemplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    The left has guns, too. And we don't have to worry about friendly fire since the enemy likes to wear bright red hats that say MAGA on them. It's not going to come to that, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone on declaring open hunting season if a Trump coup were actually successful.
    Good. If it comes down to it you need to be willing to fight fascism.

How do you get this figure?
    2016 polling data.

It's down kinda but military/veteran support for him is disturbingly high. If it comes down to it there are options though. A lot of EU nations I'm sure would intervene to protect democracy.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...r-generations/

Has it occured to anyone else that maybe the reason trump shitfuck retards love to bitch about camps is because they know they deserve to be tortured in a camp themselves? After all we executed Nazis in prison after the war and these ones don't deserve leniancy because their attempt to impose white nationalism on the USA failed.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 21st Nov 2020 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Democracy isn't just fragile, this administration has shown us that it's fake.
    Get rid of universal suffrage then.

I think my favorite part of all this post-election nonsense is how Biden's campaign and/or people allied to him haven't really done anything whatsoever. It's like everyone is just kind of sitting back and enjoying the self-destruction show.

Well, if these 4 years have taught us nothing else, it's that Tony is just as insufferable pretending to be a violent leftist as he is as a right-wing reactionary.

Meanwhile, Lord Dampnut lost yet another court case, this time with a Republican-appointed judge who was a Federalist Society member and an NRA activist:

https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-c...anting-MTD.pdf

In this action, the Trump Campaign and the Individual Plaintiffs (collectively, the “Plaintiffs”) seek to discard millions of votes legally cast by Pennsylvanians from all corners – from Greene County to Pike County, and everywhere in between. In other words, Plaintiffs ask this Court to disenfranchise almost seven million voters. This Court has been unable to find any case in which a plaintiff has sought such a drastic remedy in the contest of an election, in terms of the sheer volume of votes asked to be invalidated. One might expect that when seeking such a startling outcome, a plaintiff would come formidably armed with compelling legal arguments and factual proof of rampant corruption, such that this Court would have no option but to regrettably grant the proposed injunctive relief despite the impact it would have on such a large group of citizens.

That has not happened. Instead, this Court has been presented with strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence. In the United States of America, this cannot justify the disenfranchisement of a single voter, let alone all the voters of its sixth most populated state. Our people, laws, and institutions demand more. At bottom, Plaintiffs have failed to meet their burden to state a claim upon which relief may be granted. Therefore, I grant Defendants’ motions and dismiss Plaintiffs’ action with prejudice.
    Ouch, and that brilliant legal team was so confident too (Jenna Ellis is the second woman from that press conference where they laid bare the plot to steal the election, as hatched by Hugo Chavez, George Soros, Antifa, and their Democratic henchmen):

https://twitter.com/JennaEllisEsq/st...49514015363072

You media morons are all laughing at @RudyGiuliani, but he appears to have already established a great rapport with the judge, who is currently offering recommendations on martini bars for Team Trump in open court.
    Though apparently it all went according to plan, since they later put out a statement that, "Today's decision turns out to help us in our strategy to get expeditiously to the U.S. Supreme Court."

This brings the total win-loss ratio to 2-34, although it's more like 1-35, currently, since the first victory was later overturned by the supreme court in Pennsylvania. The other court victory prevented the counting of a small number of mail-in ballots that arrived late and had been set aside, possibly preventing Biden from extending his lead slightly. The humiliating saga continues.

In other news, Prince Dampnut tested positive for COVID: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dona...ry?id=74326915
    Last edited by Starker; 22nd Nov 2020 at 07:14.

Quote Originally Posted by nemyax View Post
    /vladimirputin has entered the chat

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by nemyax View Post
    That's it? That's your clever comeback? Your biting bon mot? Your robust riposte? That's literally your answer to a critique of democracy, taking away the right to vote? While it's clear that you're just flailing about in a desperate attempt to argue and you're really bad at it, you've shown your cards here. You'd love to take away peoples' right to vote, wouldn't you?

The irony is that in your rush to show everyone how undemocratic you are in your half-assed defense of democracy, you colossally missed the point. Whether everyone votes or only Christian white men who own land and a wife are allowed to vote is immaterial. The core flaw of democracy (direct and representative) is this: democracy is not the same thing as self-determination. Democracy can only function through coercion: by living in one we are forced to participate in it. Its sole purpose is to legitimatize the state, by giving people the sense that they are somehow participating in their own self-rule via an external body that, in fact, does all the ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    /vladimirputin has entered the chat
    Mind you, for the first eighty-three of his seven thousand terms that guy was elected democratically. He wouldn't dream of taking away the poor's right to vote. That would be the end of him (assuming an actual election took place).

Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    That's it? That's your clever comeback? Your biting bon mot? Your robust riposte? That's literally your answer to a critique of democracy, taking away the right to vote? While it's clear that you're just flailing about in a desperate attempt to argue and you're really bad at it, you've shown your cards here. You'd love to take away peoples' right to vote, wouldn't you?

The irony is that in your rush to show everyone how undemocratic you are in your half-assed defense of democracy, you colossally missed the point. Whether everyone votes or only Christian white men who own land and a wife are allowed to vote is immaterial. The core flaw of democracy (direct and representative) is this: democracy is not the same thing as self-determination. Democracy can only function through coercion: by living in one we are forced to participate in it. Its sole purpose is to legitimatize the state, by giving people the sense that they are somehow participating in their own self-rule via an external body that, in fact, does all the ruling.
    What's your preferred alternative? Really curious.

Still Subjective
    Me too.

I agree with you june, but you know - democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried.

Apparently he just discovered that concepts aren't physical things, so I'm not holding my breath for Gloomy to come up with a better system than democracy anytime soon.

Taking the Death Toll
    Not a he, thank you.

English language needs to get on with the times and come up with a better (gender-neutral) pronoun.

We have singular they, it's been a thing for hundreds of years as I understand it. We use it all the time for an abstract person, or a specific person of unknown gender. Some people get stodgy about the fact that it's the same word as plural-they, but we already have non-gendered singular-or-plural you (yous/youse/you all/y'all exist but only in some places) so that's really just tilting at windmills

Taking the Death Toll
    Kolya's just doing it on purpose because he can't muster the basic human decency to call people what they want to be called regardless of any other disagreement.

At any rate we went through this discussion awhile back anyway. I believe there was talk of an internet based everyone vote on everything with little or no government or titular head. It was eventually reasoned that the devil just might be in the details on that one, but then, here we have the devil in reality with representative democracy so who could tell where it would go now.

I understand megalomaniacs seeking ultimate power, it's kind of what they do, but I've failed to understand people granting it to them. Once they have revealed a non acceptance of reality they have begun a departure from truth and I've always felt that truth will win out just on it's staying power. Now I'm not so sure. Trumps was a four year campaign against the media and truth. Somehow he got nearly half the voting US to follow him alone against all media up to and including Fox who eventually had to part ways partially to keep some semblance of sanity. They needn't have though. Sanity no longer enters into the equation. Whatever Trump says, no matter how insane, is now accepted as literal truth by his followers. Jesus himself could say no word against him. And now they have OAN and parler to repeat whatever lie he wishes to distort reality with. IS the poison Koolaid far behind?

But I do decline the civil war the Bugaloo types push for. They aren't on our side anyway. They are just wanting the death of civility and the nation itself to rebuild a shining new white only no gays America. They think they have the guns and men to pull it off. And they think we can be goaded into starting the mess. I will yet hope sanity prevails. I'll keep looking for the better angels. Perhaps the Biden camp isn't so far off in waiting and trusting the system which has lasted so long. Surely there are enough good men left.
    Last edited by Tocky; 22nd Nov 2020 at 23:47. Reason: intensely wrong tense

One depressing counterpoint to "the people vote on everything" is Switzerland, where they have that. They only gave women the vote in 1971, because the men had to vote on whether the women should get to.

You know that crazy lady from the infamous leaky press conference? The first one who talked about Hugo Chavez, etc. Apparently, she just coincidentally happened to be there and talk on behalf of them:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-...ud-conspiracy/

“Sidney Powell is practicing law on her own. She is not a member of the Trump Legal Team. She is also not a lawyer for the President in a personal capacity,” Jenna Ellis, Senior Legal Adviser to the Trump campaign, and Rudy Giuliani, President Trump’s lawyer, stated in the press release.

So that's what she meant when she kept rambling about releasing the kraken!

Too crazy for the crazy train. Or maybe just because she got embarrassed on Carlson's show?

Obviously they're once again BS'ing, giving that they proudly listed her earlier.

Page 611 of 613 FirstFirst ... 111361511561566571576581586591596601606607608609610611612613 LastLast