TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

31 19.25%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

54 33.54%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

51 31.68%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

5 3.11%
  • I don't know what's going on!

20 12.42%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dumped! ✮✮✮

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Because the challenge is coming from another state, it seems like a ploy to skip over the state courts and go directly to SCOTUS. I think this one will get rejected right away. Texas has no standing to challenge election law in other states.
    Considering the enormous legal peril that Texas AG, Paxton faces, this seems more like a move to get in on Trump's Pardon Palooza.

There is, meanwhile, an accumulating body of allegations against Paxton. A letter obtained in October by the Austin American-Statesman and television station KVUE, noted that a number of Paxton's top aides had reported to "the appropriate law enforcement authority" a "potential violation of law" by Paxton. The staffers insisted they had "a good faith belief that the Attorney General is violating federal and/or state law, including prohibitions relating to improper influence, abuse of office, bribery and other potential criminal offenses."

Several of Paxton's former employees filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the attorney general, saying Paxton retaliated against them after they accused him of intervening in legal matters to help his friend, a real estate investor who had made a $25,000 donation to his 2018 campaign, according to the suit. Paxton has denied their allegations.

If memory serves, Pfizer's vaccine was the one that had to be kept at an ultra low temperature and required two doses to be effective:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/he...xecutive-order

WASHINGTON — As part of a “vaccine summit” Tuesday, President Donald Trump plans to sign an executive order that would prioritize vaccinating Americans for COVID-19 before distributing doses to other countries.

It’s not clear how or if the Trump administration could enforce the order, and the declaration will come a day after news reports surfaced saying the federal government passed this summer on a chance to buy millions of additional doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, which could be approved for emergency use in the coming days.

That decision could delay the delivery of a second batch of doses until Pfizer fulfills other international contracts. In November, the pharmaceutical company agreed to make 200 million doses available to the European Union, with the option for 100 million more after that.

Asked Tuesday morning to clarify the intent behind Trump’s executive order, Dr. Moncef Slaoui — chief science adviser for Operation Warp Speed, the government initiative to expedite coronavirus vaccines — had no answer.

“Frankly, I don’t know. And frankly, I’m staying out of this. I can’t comment,” Slaoui told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
    [...]

Well said. As she says, Trump supporters should tread lightly because we arenít playing and will remember.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...-cK.mp4?tag=10

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    No it's not.
    How would you explain it then?

What about the export of it?
    What kind of exported savagery do you mean? Electricity? Household appliances? Automobiles? Airplanes? Art? Running water? Medicine? The internet?

Hiroshima? You know, *vaporized* humans.

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Hiroshima?
    Good point. Also Dresden, Saigon and lots of other places. But I personally prefer to appreciate the nice things, and there's a great deal to appreciate.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by nemyax View Post
    How would you explain it then?
    With great ease. Just say what happened. What's hard about it?

What kind of exported savagery do you mean? Electricity? Household appliances? Automobiles? Airplanes? Art? Running water? Medicine? The internet?
    You realise that a lot of these things have been made possible by ruthless exploitation of large parts of the world, right? You know that when colonial powers were exporting civilisation and the US was exporting democracy, they weren't really doing it for the benefit of the locals, right? And while not all of the mess in the Middle East can be blamed on the Western powers, quite a lot of it can be.

Also, people don't commit acts of terrorism because of cultural reasons. This is political in nature. Just like right-wing extremists are stoking hatred against minorities and immigrants and lash out against the state to try to destabilise the system, there are people who similarly hate Western powers and try to hurt them by any means possible or disrupt their functioning. These aren't ordinary people, they are unstable, twisted individuals.
    Last edited by Starker; 9th Dec 2020 at 19:32.

As a German I'm pretty grateful for the US exporting democracy to Western Germany. Just because they're now in a bit of a crisis, I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/o...-of-guilt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    As a German I'm pretty grateful for the US exporting democracy to Western Germany.
    After being one of the causes of the rise of Nazis thanks to Weimar Republic colapse after the Wallstreet fall?
    Last edited by lowenz; 9th Dec 2020 at 21:06.

Likewise, I'm grateful for the US recognising and opposing the occupation of my country, and I favour democracy in general, but that doesn't erase what the US has done in South America and many other places in the world. West Germany and Japan were beneficiaries of the Cold War. Many other countries were not.

Also, the initial plans for Germany were quite a bit different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenthau_Plan
    Last edited by Starker; 9th Dec 2020 at 20:43.

Wasn't the Weimar Republic already a democracy? They didn't need the US to "export" it there, they had it already.

With great ease. Just say what happened. What's hard about it?
    Dear citizens of France! Your country granted political asylum to some islamists living in Moscow. Moscow wasn't exactly a war-torn city, but who cares. These people moved to Conflans-Sainte-Honorine with their six-year old boy and got everything they ever could wish for. To express their thanks, they raised a head-chopping terrorist. Enjoy your multiculturalism, dear citizens of France.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Wasn't the Weimar Republic already a democracy? They didn't need the US to "export" it there, they had it already.
    Yes and we did see the result of giving gullible and angry people the representative "democracy".

One has to appreciate what it does to a country to have a decade period where rule of law just doesn't exist. You have to rebuild every single institution from the ground up, and almost none of the people that had any experience with how a functioning legal system actually works are around since they'd all been purged ages ago.

I'm learning this with Myanmar right now. Like it's 1952 when native German institutions can finally start up again, nobody would have gone to law school since 1934, many liberal lawyers and bureaucrats before then are probably outside the country with no desire to return, or they're in their 60s and haven't practiced in 15 years. And for most of the actual practicing lawyers, all they know is the judiciary and every agency is an extension of the executive, so they're not sure what independence of a court or agency even looks like, and are probably deeply suspicious if it can happen again.

I teach postwar reconstruction and transitional justice, and of course Postwar Germany is the first big case study... A lot of mistakes were made, but it also had some positive aspects, the constitution was one of them. (It's much better than the US's own constitution.) And the willingness of the population to take ownership of the constitution & rule of law under it was another. Considering how sensationally Weimar democracy collapsed--Hitler was democratically elected, remember--one could understand people worrying if democracy was really the way to go. But I suppose a lot has to be said for sheer exhaustion with extreme politics and of course the massive investment coming in to rebuild.

Well I could talk about it at length, but this is a Trump thread. The punchline in the present context is that people may be underestimating the harm Trump's stupid fantasy legal adventures will be doing to trust in democratic institutions. It just takes one generation to forget about rule of law, and suddenly it doesn't matter that the US had been a constitutional republic for 250 years, just like it didn't matter for Germany in that period, or other examples you could point out. Like the US South still hasn't recovered from the open lawlessness against its Black population, and the Civil War ended 150 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Ja, but we had a little mishap between the Weimar Republic and the US intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I teach postwar reconstruction and transitional justice, and of course Postwar Germany is the first big case study... A lot of mistakes were made, but it also had some positive aspects, the constitution was one of them.
    First (and second) soviet constitutions were great too.....one-party rule and dictatorship not so great

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    First (and second) soviet constitutions were great too
    By the 1936 constitution, you could not own land, or anything of real value for that matter. How great is that.

BANNED
    Sounds like savagery to me.

Well anyway, speaking of Germany, they're evidently civilization's last stand now these days.
    This video just came down, and it's striking how unique it sounds, when it shouldn't.
    It's hard to even remember a US leader speaking with this kind of empathy, honest concern, and respect for science.
    The US is shooting for 4000 deaths a day and the silence couldn't be any more booming.

The FBI had Seth Rich's laptop all along:

https://lawflog.com/?p=2410

Hardy lied under oath about this...

Now you can continue with your celebrations about electing the architect of the Patriot Act...

Taking the Death Toll
    Dear citizens of France! Your country granted political asylum to some islamists living in Moscow. Moscow wasn't exactly a war-torn city, but who cares. These people moved to Conflans-Sainte-Honorine with their six-year old boy and got everything they ever could wish for. To express their thanks, they raised a head-chopping terrorist. Enjoy your multiculturalism, dear citizens of France.
    You know, on a better forum, you'd be banned or at least tempbanned for this. But on TTLG nothing will happen to you because we love jerking off to "free speech" and other imaginary concepts here.

Considering the abusive language you casually throw around, if this were a 'better' forum, you'd have been booted permanently years ago.

june gloom
    You've been begging for censorship (I think this was your third time), but I suggest you disprove what you quoted instead. Incidentally, the terrorist was buried with honours in his parents' native village a couple of days ago. Apparently his hate crime was heroic to the wonderful locals. How would you feel about discussing the use of gender-neutral pronouns with those creatures? I suppose that sounds a bit more menacing than a ban from TTLG.
    Anyway, things are about to change: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0c4_story.html

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Considering the abusive language you casually throw around, if this were a 'better' forum, you'd have been booted permanently years ago.
    Given how toxic this place was for my personal growth back in my angry weirdo days, that probably would have been for the best. And yet:

How would you feel about discussing the use of gender-neutral pronouns with those creatures? I suppose that sounds a bit more menacing than a ban from TTLG.

Page 618 of 650 FirstFirst ... 118368518568573578583588593598603608613614615616617618619620621622623628633638643648 ... LastLast