TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

30 18.87%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

54 33.96%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

51 32.08%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

5 3.14%
  • I don't know what's going on!

19 11.95%
Page 643 of 643 FirstFirst ... 143393543593598603608613618623628633638639640641642643
Results 16,051 to 16,066 of 16066

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dumped! ✮✮✮

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I tend to share Kolya's bias against playing to emotions, but don't have time to get into it now. I can recognize it's often a necessary part of politics. It's just playing with fire.
    Is there a particular part of Amanda Gorman's poem you object to or is it just the general idea of having an idealistic vision about the purpose of your country that rubs you the wrong way?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    We can also start taking bets on what criminal charges may finally be brought against Trump.
    First of all there's the matter of even listing which ones are even in the cards.
    The ones that come to mind for me are:
    (1) Obstruction of justice - ordering witnesses to lie, dangling pardons for lies, etc.;
    (2) Bribery - taking money for presidential decisions, the same thing Blagovitch was convicted for;
    (3) Incitement to insurrection - I already mentioned that I think that's a longshot because of the "intent" problem;
    (4) Financial crimes, e.g., to do with the Deutsch Bank loans & dealings with the Russian oligarchs.
    (5) The rape & sexual assault claims, not least with 2+ minors, Katie Johnson & Maria P.

Feel free to add to the list!
    Campaign finance violations (hush money), real-estate fraud (inflating the value of his property, etc), insurance fraud, tax fraud (exorbitant consulting fees to his children, etc), profiting from his office (emoluments clauses), cheating Mary Trump out of her inheritance, not paying his lawyers when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Is there a particular part of Amanda Gorman's poem you object to or is it just the general idea of having an idealistic vision about the purpose of your country that rubs you the wrong way?

Campaign finance violations (hush money), real-estate fraud (inflating the value of his property, etc), insurance fraud, tax fraud (exorbitant consulting fees to his children, etc), profiting from his office (emoluments clauses), cheating Mary Trump out of her inheritance, not paying his lawyers when all is said and done.
    A real antistate hero!
    Oh wait, no, a criminal jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    1. I was posting that out of context. I was just talking about appeals to emotion generally because the convo was going in that direction & it's an old saw for me. Nothing to do with that poem. (Also I was talking about riling people up to the degree they go off the rails, which is the opposite of what that poem was trying to do.)

2. As a matter of cold political calculation, which is what I was just saying is often when emotion can have a positive use, I favored the poem because it's going to help galvanize young people and make them feel part of & engaged in this political moment, as part of a long term strategy keeping them engaged in the right way.

3. I literally just gave a long diatribe on an idealistic vision about the purpose of my country that's arguably in the direction of that poem (well I was going with identity, but potatoes potatoes), so it can't be that.

4. I wrote a longish post in some FB comment about that poem. To boil it down, I thought it was a fine poem but it didn't fit this moment in history. Her whole aura shouted morning in America, which is great and all, but if you look, e.g., at the colors people were wearing, she was bright yellow, but the other major women were dark purples, burgundies, and blues.

I thought that the poem that would have fit this moment better would have been more world-weary, though not cynical, coming from someone who's lived what the poem speaks of, who has the emotional scars of battle long fought, who can express the infinite relief that we've made it this far, but we still have so far to go, that brings a gravitas to this time & place.

And I was thinking specifically of the poem Maya Angelou read at the 1993 inauguration. The new one didn't speak to me at all and IMO seemed unobservant of the times we're in. But I recognize why my opinion doesn't matter so much to what this poem was meant to serve here, and I can even agree with that part. Edit: I mean in the sense that if I were on the Biden team I would have also voted for that poem even not liking it myself. Politics is also about mythology and calculated myopia.
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Jan 2021 at 09:06.

verbose douchebag
    I think you guys are talking past each other.

Yes, it's better to deliver just the dry logic and have everything be based off of that (like, obviously), but people's emotions aren't going away, so it's obtuse to just pretend they aren't part of the landscape and to not engage with that.

As far as the symbolism of the inaugural poem recital is concerned, for me it was the opposite -- the bright colours and overall hopeful tone felt refreshing rather than inappropriate for the moment, a glimpse of looking forward to the future and a nice contrast amid the sea of grey and soberness. World-weariness is fine for the old, but optimism suits the young.

I think Democrats did pretty well with both the inauguration and their virtual convention, especially if you compare it with the hysterical tone of Republican convention and Lord Dampnut leaving to the tune of YMCA.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I think you guys are talking past each other.

Yes, it's better to deliver just the dry logic and have everything be based off of that (like, obviously), but people's emotions aren't going away, so it's obtuse to just pretend they aren't part of the landscape and to not engage with that.
    It's obviously a balance and what I tried to point out is that the US are very far down the emotional scale from my point of view. Always have been and doesn't seem to get better, despite the complete reality-disconnect it has gotten to. The fuss about the flag, the pledge of allegiance, the general ignorance of the rest of the world, it's languages ideas and knowledge - this nationalism is deeply emotional and easy to manipulate. And despite your best intentions to use it for good, it is still very dangerous.
    Because there is no such thing as good nationalism. As soon as you make the nation center point of whatever ideals and achievements you have, you're shifting their importance to an in-group of people (that's very heterogeneous and that you only belong to by random chance) with all the foreseeable results for the out-group. The question should be less about what it means to be an "American" and more about what has worked in the past and what is a good ideal to work towards to, regardless of the nation.
    This is not technocracy. National identity won't vanish. But it doesn't need constant encouragement either.

verbose douchebag
    I don't disagree, but if the side using emotion is gaining ground, and the other side are not convcinced that straight up logic / facts will turn things around, what to do?
    Moral high ground is great, but not if it gives ground to white supremacists and their enablers.

I'm not sure the real issue is with emotion, but exceptionalism and identity as a claim (rather than as a statement of fact) are cancerous illusions that are too profound in the American way of thinking to be uprooted. More so as these are being exported as standard and widely acclaimed in the rest of the world. Biden's inauguration speech made me incredibly bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I'm not sure the real issue is with emotion, but exceptionalism and identity as a claim (rather than as a statement of fact) are cancerous illusions that are too profound in the American way of thinking to be uprooted. More so as these are being exported as standard and widely acclaimed in the rest of the world. Biden's inauguration speech made me incredibly bitter.
    Exactly.

But about the "emotions" aspect: blind rationalism is stupid cause people are not part of some theorem to prove each to another. There's no such thing as "hard facts" in human mind and the REAL delusion it's to think that they are.

antifa.com question ?

Why does the Biden Whitehouse website show up when antifa.com is typed into the browser (and hit enter)

Edit: I found this answer on USA Today fact-check: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/3455297001/
    Last edited by howeird; 22nd Jan 2021 at 19:15.

Some anonymous goofball thinks he's clever.

Only in America would anti-fascism be something to be ashamed of. People here are so fucking stupid.

The time to breathe and take it easy is over, it seems. The Lincoln Project is going after the Sedition Caucus:

Alexei Navalny has released a sort of a mini-documentary about the future the United States has been heading towards. It's nearly two hours long and in Russian, but you can switch on English subtitles, if you click on the CC button. It's mainly about the ginormous palace complex of Putin, said to be the richest man in the world, but it also serves as a small biography of Putin starting from his time as a humble KGB agent in the DDR.

Something a little shorter but sweeter, also featuring Vlad.

Page 643 of 643 FirstFirst ... 143393543593598603608613618623628633638639640641642643