TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Germans are here to enjoy Thief?

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    Well, in the end itīs a matter of taste. What I dislike about some of Michaelisī VA is that the direction seems to be very shitty. I mean, they hire a professional VA, but canīt get the translations right? I mean, if he says about Angelwatch "I will take my tenament daily" itīs just downright wrong, because "I take my tenament every day of the week" has a different meaning. I mean, some of the texts a 10th grader could have translated better...
    As we recently discussed in an unpleasant context IMHO there can never be a 1:1 translation. If this is made 100% slavish the result often becomes ridiculus. There are idioms which don't exist in all languages, rimes, sayings ... why not express the same by using other, more euphonic words? OK, nobody is perfect but I never missed neither any information nor any entertainment value in the german or french version of thief. And I like to hear other phrases in game like "Tu trembles, vermine !", it's a funny variation although not literally translated. So what? I don't wrack my brain for that.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by Anfortas View Post
    You are very on point with the things you've said about Karras German voice. I have never thought about it in much detail, but his charismatic voice in German seems to be fitting for a leader.
    The problem is that he isn't a charismatic leader, though. He's the head of a cult and he has been mocked and spurned by the society at large, which is probably one of the reasons he devoted himself on technology and rose through the ranks. It was only when his cult became powerful and wealthy (thanks in no small part to his innovations, it seems) that the nobles started to pay any attention to him. He's more of a Bill Gates than Steve Jobs, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by zappenduster View Post
    As we recently discussed in an unpleasant context IMHO there can never be a 1:1 translation. If this is made 100% slavish the result often becomes ridiculus. There are idioms which don't exist in all languages, rimes, sayings ... why not express the same by using other, more euphonic words? OK, nobody is perfect but I never missed neither any information nor any entertainment value in the german or french version of thief. And I like to hear other phrases in game like "Tu trembles, vermine !", it's a funny variation although not literally translated. So what? I don't wrack my brain for that.
    I agree that certain things canīt be translated 1:1, but the examples I listed are just sloppiness.
    I still pick the german version over the english one, but only a bit reluctantly.

Donīt know about the french version...I havenīt played it yet aside a short look into TDP, and donīt plan to do it. I donīt like french as a language, the french Garrett sounds awful and most importantly I donīt understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    The problem is that he isn't a charismatic leader, though. He's the head of a cult and he has been mocked and spurned by the society at large, which is probably one of the reasons he devoted himself on technology and rose through the ranks. It was only when his cult became powerful and wealthy (thanks in no small part to his innovations, it seems) that the nobles started to pay any attention to him. He's more of a Bill Gates than Steve Jobs, if that makes sense.
    Not to discuss Jobs vs. Gates, but from where comes the presumption that Karras was mocked? From my understanding he left the Hammerites for his own cult because he wasnīt satisfied with the conservatism of the order - they didnīt want technical progress and Karras thought this was not what the Builder wanted. That he developed a god complex later is another story.
    He canīt be viewed as a chump, because he was praised for his sermons. Just my thoughts about that.

Oh, and another reason I like the german Gold version more :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTw5vDSMOg
    The epic Mage KO sound..

Well, he talks and writes about how the city spurned him and the nobility made fun of him behind his back, for example:

The Builder smiled on the things Karras had done. Out of devotion, He had invented many machines, and these machines now served Him well. He had transformed wretched humans into agents of The Builder's will, controlled directly by the influence of Karras' machines. These were called Servants, and they had been embraced by those in the city who considered themselves superior because of the wealth of their coffers instead of their spirits. These same people had beamed at Karras with one face but with another face smirked amongst each other and shared affronts.

For this Karras had once detested them
    , but He saw now their role in the Builder's Plan. In all these things Karras had forged the tools that He would use to bring the Builder's Paradise to the world. The Builder looked upon these tools as Karras made preparations to put them to use, and His gaze showed favor, and Karras felt the Builder's hands upon Him and the Builder's strength helping Karras carry His burdens.
    To assist his calculations Karras drafted a map of the city, and now He saw the circles He had drawn and was pleased. Nowhere was there a place that would be uncleansed by the Necrotic Mutox, and its effects would extend beyond the city. The circles conjoined in the center, the very heart of the city, the same city that had spurned Karras and denounced The Builder. Karras knew from this sign that all was to be as He had seen.
    Seems like he was only praised for his sermons because he became rich and influential and people wanted to curry favour with him.
    Last edited by Starker; 16th Apr 2020 at 17:00.

Hey! Another fellow German here.

I played both versions (though english not completely) and also I prefer the German versions for reasons already mentioned. They just sound more professional. The English guards sound like amateur theater with someone squeezing his throat to sound like a hard guy.

And of course Martin Keßler. Whenever I see a movie with Nicolas Cage there's this line in my head saying "Jaaa.... es freut mich wirklich wahnsinnig, dass der Erbauer euch leitet..."

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I think my biggest complaint about the German voice acting is that a lot of times they don't sound very invested -- it's more like they are narrating instead of acting. Like let's take the Thief 2 archer fight where you can really hear the anger and irritation in the guards voices in the original. For example, the guard lowering his voice at "...or we'll boil his knackers" makes it sound far more menacing and the switching his voice to a higher pitch at "Such slander will not be tolerated..." goes a long way to show how upset and outraged he is, as well as at "You've gone... you've gone too far this time...".

I loved that scene.

I never even bothered to play Thief in German. Most games suffer from the German synchro. It's gotten a bit better in games these days though. Skyrim is perfectly fine in German, for example. For other games like Fallout New Vegas, I definitely prefer to play them in English, because, there's a lot of atmosphere added with the accents.

BTW I upscaled the german cutscenes of TDP/TG and converted them to 60fps.
    Looks much better now. I send them to Bentraxx, maybe he can remaster audio, too. Maybe one day they can be used ingame.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z_v--RegB-InjK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12