TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Point

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    What's peoples experiences with backer builds? Avoid them, to save the experience for later? Or prefer to jump in and see how things are?.
    Underworld Ascendant and Infinite Space: Weird Worlds 3 (or whatever it was called) are the only ones I've tried and I probably won't do it again to be honest. While I had some concerns about WW3 after playing several iterations of the pre-release, my worries turned out to be justified unfortunately. I've only played a little bit of UA 3 or 4 months ago but decided that I'll wait for the full release as I think they should have waited a bit longer before releasing something.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the notion of wanting early access of any kind. Heck, I usually don't touch a game until the first post-release patch (or so)...

verbose douchebag
    I didn't want early access per se, but it came with my backer level, and I was curious to try it out. I played 2 rounds, probably won't touch it again for a bit. I want the full game to feel fresh, but happy to do a little bit of QA testing in the meantime, already reported 3 bugs. Just playing tactical missions is OK anyway, if it was early access to the whole game, I'd likely steer clear.

Ages ago I took part in the Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft beta tests. Those were fun. Reported a few bugs for D2. I was just such a fan of the first Diablo that I just had to get in on the betas.

Nowadays I find it better to wait.

I've really never understood why anyone who isn't being paid to do it would want to spend time with a game which is explicitly unfinished. Obviously lots of people do enjoy doing exactly that, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I used to love playing stuff as it evolved, and I had a fantastic time with the various Q3test builds.
    But these days, while I'll back something, I'd rather wait for the finished product before playing. That's probably to do with most of the stuff I'm backing being single-player focussed, and I don't really want to spoil the narrative. I must admit to being sorely tempted to play the Phoenix Point backer release, but I've got enough stuff to play at the moment anyway

verbose douchebag
    I find the "I'll never understand" prefixes to be a little overstating things.
    I am curious as to how the game feels compared with the gameplay videos, especially in light of the fact that they've decided to borrow a lot of visual cues from nu-XCOM.
    Is that really so incomprehensible, that you'll never understand it?

A little hyperbole killed the cat.

Is that really so incomprehensible, that you'll never understand it?
    I certainly don't see how it benefits you to discover how an unfinished version of the game feels, when the finished version can be expected to be a better representation of what the developers are trying to do. So no, that doesn't do anything to alter my opinion. (And it is just an opinion; nothing worth arguing over. If satisfying your curiosity about an incomplete game makes you happy then I'm happy for you.)

I think some of it comes down to how well you respect the company in question. I used to have a HUGE amount of respect for Blizzard (prior to them merging with Activision). So if they needed me to do some QA work for free. Sure.

Nowadays I'd say hell no. But back then sure.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I certainly don't see how it benefits you to discover how an unfinished version of the game feels, when the finished version can be expected to be a better representation of what the developers are trying to do. So no, that doesn't do anything to alter my opinion. (And it is just an opinion; nothing worth arguing over. If satisfying your curiosity about an incomplete game makes you happy then I'm happy for you.)
    It's just a single scenario. So long as I don't play it to death (and it is good enough that the temptation is there), I'll be able to forget about while I play other stuff prior to full release.
    There are shades of grey between not wanting to play anything, and spending the entire development period playing iterative dev versions.

Anyway - it's already feeling really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It can be very gratifying to see how something changes for the better, and the change itself can sometimes help you understand why something works. It's not that different from getting a look at rehearsals for a play or a film and then seeing the final product: the process itself can be interesting and seeing it can increase your enjoyment of the whole thing, if you've got any interest in how a creative endeavour comes together.
    Last edited by Thirith; 7th May 2018 at 08:57.

Yep. Thanks to Kickstarter I've been able to better understand how games are made and consequently have come to appreciate them more, knowing what goes into making them.

KS brings with it, it's own unique problems though. Like game devs taking the money and running off with it, completely ignoring what the backers want, disappearing for long periods of time etc etc.

Some say that pandering to the wants of backers can also be to a games detriment. I see it as a case by case basis type thing. Harebrained gets it about right, and they have decades long fans (from their FASA Corporation days).

I've backed about 30 video game projects and none of the devs has run away with the money so far, though a couple look like they are in serious trouble -- Mage's Initiation and Tangiers.

Just 1 (Confederate Express) for me.

Out of interest, have any of you enjoyed a pre-release version more than the final product? The Long Dark fits this to some degree for me. While I haven't played more than 1 hour of the story, I had already invested many hours in the early access sandbox and haven't enjoyed most of the UI changes in the final version.

Yep totally agree with you regarding the Long Dark, they basically ruined the game with the full release.

Chakat sex pillow
    I've enjoyed the initial run of Project Zomboid back when it was meant to be a story-telling simulator set in a zombie apocalypse, and not the lumbering, detail-ridden thing it is now.

Also the EA versions of Overload and Project Nimbus have been fun in terms of seeing what the devs are capable of, but not what the limits of their capabilities are, so to speak. There's always the overweening feeling of, 'there's more to come and you're spoiling the final release for yourself' the more I play them, so that's why I avoid EA as often as possible.

Still, putting an hour or two in as a taster for the final product is a good way to quickly understand if the devs have scoped and focused appropriately (and to see if they've really earned your confidence in them). In the case of Overload, it's quickly satisfied me as exactly what Descent would be today if it were coupled to a shiny new engine, so no morbid curiosity's forced me to poke at it further before the final release.

The Bureau. When it was in it's FPS incarnation I liked that a hell of a lot more. Game itself was alright if a tad buggy. But the FPS original incarnation of it looked awesome.

Thing What Kicks
    GODDAMMIT JULIAN.

Look, I don't mind the Epic store as much as the rest of the Internet.
    But exclusivity is not good for the PC as a platform.

I was really looking forward to getting a DRM free GOG version.

FFS.

Well you'll still be able to (most likely), but just have to wait a year first.

As long as I'm getting my GOG key, I'm fine. Meanwhile, I can just download it from the Epic store or, if it's too big of a hassle, pirate it.

Plus, hey, free DLC or something.

Probably helps that Julian Gollop has stacked up a lot of goodwill over the years. I can't even begin to estimate how much quality time I have had with the three X-COM games.

I choose to read that as "Epic Store customers will be Early Access beta testers for one year before the game is released."

Thanks, Epic Store customers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast