TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Place to buy

Place to buy

Friends, after many years, I finally decided to purchase an original trapezoidal boxes of Thief and Thief II. Maybe someone here knows where i can easily get them? Money is not as important as the quality the box and its content. Interested in the most original edition, not a reprint. Thank you!

Your best bet is to ask around on various forums, preferably ones with an older audience and be prepared to haggle. Obviously keep an eye out on online auction sites, but it's pretty rare when they show up.

P.s. Some discussion on this thread on this subject: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147482

I'd say try to find whoever took that picture above, that's a gorgeous sight.

I (re)bought all the Thief games in their original boxes over the last couple of years on Ebay - it may take a while to track them all down, but that's where you'll have the best luck. Just check often as they go fast. And be prepared to shell out the $$$.

The original trapezoid release of The Dark Project is the only game in the series I have yet to collect. Strange considering just two weeks ago, I managed to pick up an original copy of Thief Gold(on the left) off of Ebay for twenty dollars, what I thought to be a significantly rarer game. I would suggest doing the same thing I am doing now, waiting and checking the popular auction websites frequently, such as Ebay and Amazon. Perhaps one of us will get lucky sometime. Best of wishes in your hunt.

And... if anyone manages to find a copy for sale, or is selling one themselves, I would greatly appreciate being made known of it.
    Last edited by Jax64; 24th May 2017 at 19:28.

I would also check the other buying options on Amazon. Only go with a seller that specifically states the trapezoid box is included if you do. That's where I got T2 at. You'll likely have to do as Brethren and Jax64 said and frequent eBay patiently. I would check both the US and UK versions of the site.

-Unrelated-
    Since I was already looking I decided to pick up the premier TG big box and T2 big box. Both were sealed and cost $65.

Boasting edit
    Last edited by Corsair; 24th May 2017 at 20:28.

Alright, since we're showing off a bit:

Love the prices.

Alas, mine is not complete. One day, perhaps. One day.

Off the topic: What is actually the special thing about Thief: Deadly shadows premier collection? I own that version since two years ago and still know what differentiates it from the normal version.

These look so cool! Do want much *.*

I would love to own an original box set as well. Unfortunately, when I was 12, I wasn't "allowed" to have mature rated games - and a game with the title "Thief: The Dark Project" definitely wouldn't have flown with my parents if they knew.

I vividly remember buying the games in the electronics section of a store, running to the store's bathroom and chucking everything but the disks themselves. Much easier to hide from my parents.

Time flies - that was 19 years ago now...

Quote Originally Posted by taffersshadow View Post
    I would love to own an original box set as well. Unfortunately, when I was 12, I wasn't "allowed" to have mature rated games - and a game with the title "Thief: The Dark Project" definitely wouldn't have flown with my parents if they knew.

I vividly remember buying the games in the electronics section of a store, running to the store's bathroom and chucking everything but the disks themselves. Much easier to hide from my parents.

Time flies - that was 19 years ago now...
    Hehe. You're in good company. I never quite had to to that, but I did have to hide my violent video games from my mom as a kid. I remember the look of horror on her face when she caught me chainsawing enemies in Doom.

A few years later she became less strict as I was a good kid and was going to play them whether she liked it or not at friends houses or what have you.

She never had too much of a problem with Thief, though.

I was allowed violent games after a certain age too. Context was important for my parents. I think it was the idea of a game where you were a "thief" (the bad guy) that wouldn't have appealed to them. Can't recall my exact reasoning at the time. I do remember taking a sharpie to the disk to remove "The Dark Project". It may have been that the title made the game sound slightly occult themed? For them, Doom was fine as you were killing demons. Dark Forces was fine - stormtroopers (helmeted soulless drones). Wolfenstein - nazis. Soldier of Fortune - terrorists.

However, for some reason, any game with swear words wasn't okay - but blood and gore? That's fine - so long as they didn't swear when you were mowing them down. Headphones solved this problem.

Anyway, I've come across thief in jewel cases quite a few times in various thrift stores over the years, but never in the original boxes. I've long since stowed all my game boxes away, but I'd definitely display a thief box with pride if ever I owned one. I even get nostalgic about thief just seeing my triangle tomb raider boxes...

My parents were also against me playing M rated games as a young lad. Thief never bothered them, but interestingly Day of Defeat got them in a tizzy because it was a "war simulator".

I used to cut up my pc game box art and paste / tape them in binders along with the manuals....kind of wish I hadn't done that. Made sense at the time?

By the way, that's a sick poster Corsair!
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 26th May 2017 at 22:14.

I had all of my game boxes including Thief Gold and Thief II but one day I threw all of them out to get rid of the clutter.

When I first started playing PC games there were no M rated games. The only violent events were being shot at by stick-man enemy airplanes in Flights Simulator 2 and being caught by a witch in King's Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by User 205 View Post
    Off the topic: What is actually the special thing about Thief: Deadly shadows premier collection? I own that version since two years ago and still know what differentiates it from the normal version.
    No difference in the game, only the packaging. The premier collection came out later as a value product at a lower price. This was before the days of Steam sales and Humble bundles, publishers would redo the packaging at a smaller size or at a lower cost to save money when discounting the games.

Necro'd

A couple of places to buy Thief Gold I just stumbled across:
    $200
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/THIEF-GOLD-...ss!77041!US!-1

$50
    https://sg.carousell.com/p/thief-gol...dows-47465024/

Thief The Dark Project
    $45
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13230581328...286&rmvSB=true

Didn't see anything for T2 yet. I'm not familiar with that Carousell site so I wouldn't personally recommend using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Alright, since we're showing off a bit:
    […]
    Love the prices.
    Well, I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not… but just in case that might help, Lazy Game Reviews recently made a video tutorial on how to remove most of such annoyances from game boxes : here.

Hiya everybody,

Is there somebody amongst you, who would be willing to sell Thief II trapezoid box edition, ideally unopened (not a condition)?

Any help finding it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I read this thread and I could not believe. Guys - it's only a shape of the box!!! Come on - save your bucks for something more valuable in your life. It's not like you're going to get a brand new experience - you all know the stuff very well. It's just a shape of the box...