TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love Skyrim but good lord, could they milk it any more?

I can definitely agree on Oblviion's main quest, I really disliked it at the time. When I return to the game these days, I always completely ignore the main storyline and stick to the sidequests.

Just out of curiosity though, what was wrong with the art direction? It's a little hard to remember what it was like back then, but I seem to remember the game was praised for it's visuals, style, and world building.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oblivion's art direction was boilerplate fantasy, which is a far cry from Morrowind's brand of stark alien landscape. Of course, the in-universe reason is that it's set in Cyrodiil, which is closer to human mediaeval tropes than other places in Tamriel, but it's still underwhelming in comparison. The reason you're remembering praise for its visuals is because it was one of the first truly large next-gen RPGs at the time; and sure, Gamebryo's fuck ups notwithstanding, it was pretty from a largely technical point of view.

Except for the faces. Those were and still are a war crime.

hmm whatever happened to GamingdadofFour, he had promise

I think oblivion was the best of the series, for my skyrim started moving away from the more complex part of the game to a more easier user friendly game. I though that would be the start of the end and when i say greymoor i though online geez no more play on your own time sandbox vibes, but im about 40 hours in and mans there's a lot of stuff going on. I'm still not sure if i like it but I definitely rate it above skyrim. Im just waiting for the immersed feeling that oblivion gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Oblivion's art direction was boilerplate fantasy, which is a far cry from Morrowind's brand of stark alien landscape.
    Well... you said it. Maybe YOU prefer alien, but most prefer the Oblivion thing.

TBH, the setting was one of the main things why I never got into Morrowind. The other things were the text based conversation, the butt ugly graphics, the fight system (ugh...), and the characters who have as much personality as a cardboard cut-out (OK, that's a problem in Oblivion as well. Bethesda only just learned that in Skyrim and Fallout 4).

Frankly, it's totally obvious to me why Bethesda took that path with Oblivion. It simply appeals to a bigger audience.

What I find MUCH better in their recent games is that the game world isn't as generic, by the way. It was horribly generic in Morrowind and Oblivion. Fallout 4 is absolutely fantastic in that regard, and Skyrim isn't really bad either.

Chakat sex pillow
    Note that I never said Morrowind was particularly good, either. I do prefer Morrowind's art style to Oblivion's, and I freely acknowledge that as a matter of taste.

TBH, the setting was one of the main things why I never got into Morrowind. The other things were the text based conversation, the butt ugly graphics, the fight system (ugh...), and the characters who have as much personality as a cardboard cut-out (OK, that's a problem in Oblivion as well. Bethesda only just learned that in Skyrim and Fallout 4).
    And yes, all of this. Morrowind was and is very hard to engage with because of these things. It does have an interesting story, but it's a pain in the ass to get through the game to experience it. RE: character writing, I'd say that Beth has always been terrible at it, and despite attempts to get better, they're still nowhere near good enough to make it a compelling quality of their games.

I never quite understood why they didn't hire some of the Obsidian folks, after seeing that they can do characters and story better in New Vegas. I also see that as sort of the achilles heel of Bethesda. But, the rest of their games is so damn good that that part is almost neglectable for me.

Maybe it was actually Obsidian who refused, given how they were treated after the New Vegas. I never bought Bethesda Studios games for the story though. During the Morrowind era, they could get away with it, as it was still mostly in written form. But since then the medium evolved, more games came up with better stories, having recorded dialogue and onscreen action. Then more games started doing better environment and gameplay storytelling. Finally, more games came up with similar open-world structure, but with much better tech (animation, graphics, collision, etc.). Bethesda still struggles to keep up with that. And when it comes to quality of their main quest in TES series, they seem to have hit some sort of a ceiling, because it's been consistently very bad for years

Apparently its harder then it seems to make a good open world game or more people would be able to do it.
    How many unplayable offensive turds will ubisoft keep making with every next scumbag far cry game all these years.

The good news is that with a good modable base game Skyrim lives on.
    3 games that earn perpetual real estate on my SSD are a modded Skyrim, a modded Fallout and a modded Thief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12