TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

Thanks to henke (who was able to join after all), Jeshibu, Malf and demagogue for a weird, fun last session of 2019!

We started with Dynamic Drug Raid (Tanoa), which started bloody enough, but while we had heavy initial losses, Malf and Jeshibu not only survived, they also destroyed the drug cache - possibly with a little help from an omniscient ghost or two. They then took the liberated pickup truck to the exfiltration spot, where a friendly chopper came and circled them for a minute or so without ever landing - so we declared the mission a success and ended it manually. Hooray! (Mission ending triggers not working may just be the most frequent Arma bug.)

Next up: Guerillas in the Mist (Altis). After some impromptu war crimes (some say that Malf may just have grenaded some friendlies and their truck because we were overly cautious), we managed to clear the first objective, a small camp - but the second camp, complete with an aggressive MRAP, pretty much did us in. One after the other fell and bled out on that hill, until we were all dead. It was tense, it was tragic, and many a manly tear was shed.

Finally, we tried our hand at Operation Bolero (Altis), where the mission was to keep enemy weapons to fall into the wrong hands. Or something. The objective wasn't particularly clear, but we did our best, until we fell into something of a Benny Hill routine, where one guy would go down, another would go and help him, then that guy would get shot, so a third guy would try to help the first and second, possibly getting one of them on their feet again, only to get shot again, rinse and repeat. All the while, Jeshibu and demagogue were on a nearby hill, ready to snipe any bad guys they saw (i.e. none) and observing the carnage happening to the rest of the team. Thankfully, the mission had respawn, so after we all got shot to bits, we went back in and henke took out the nasty MRAP with two well-aimed rockets. As the mission didn't end at that point, we lit up the enemy truck, in every sense of the word (we didn't have any proper grenades left, only smoke grenades and glowsticks, which made the truck look all Halloweeny), and then shot at it until it exploded. The mission still didn't finish, so we declared it a triumph. Huzzah!

Thanks to everyone for the fun Arma sessions we've had in 2019. We'll be back in 2020, for more fun, friendly fire and script triggers not firing. Till then, don't get shot (too much)!

Ah you didn't notice all the bodies in the Bolero compound? There were at least 5 guys I sniped in there, and another 2 or 3 out in the streets. It was just those two MRAPs that kept taking all of you out. I couldn't do anything about them! I still tried. XD

Ah, sorry about that. I didn’t want to downplay your contribution. I just kept hearing Jesh say that you guys hadn’t fired a shot yet, and then I got distracted by all the getting shot.

I've just remembered that I'll probably not be around on 11 January, so I'm scheduling the first Arma session of 2020 a week earlier:
    The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 4 January 2020
    Time: 3-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam.
    I'm hoping to do at least a draft version of a mission for the gang by then, but no guarantees - the Christmas break has a habit of being more busy than expected.

Anyway, I'll send around a Steam message to everyone to keep them updated, and I'll send a reminder towards the end of the year. In the meantime, happy holidays and don't get shot by friendly AI! (Or, if you're Jeshibu, by me.)

Add me to the STEAM group. I've got a lot of shit going on but I should be on family leave at the time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tony, no, man. We really don't wanna play with you. :|

Damn. I hope that this is a good omen - we had the first Arma session of 2020 and it was a complete mess. First mission we started three times, in the hope that it wouldn't always kill us within seconds, but boy, were we wrong. Arma just had it in for us, to an extent where it didn't even matter whether we were playing well or not. The next mission had us starting in the bodies of seagulls in that odd spectator mode Arma sometimes switches to, except we couldn't even move the birds or the viewing angle. Third mission had an utterly bugged revive system where sometimes we just couldn't be revived, sometimes the person reviving us would end up immobile themselves, and sometimes we respawned only to find that we couldn't see anything other than blackness and the occasional green marker.

Then Al_B joined us and suddenly everything got better.

Okay, we did revert to missions that we knew worked, first Firefight Pelagia (Altis), one of the standard missions that aren't wildly original but that work. We managed to clear Pelagia and Malf only killed one of our own men (he said he was trying to heal him, but a Combat Life Saver should know that guns don't heal people, people heal people...). We then tried another tried and tested mission, Specter (Altis), which saw the four of us - henke, Malf, Al_B and myself - attacking a hotel where some journalists were kept hostage. Unfortunately henke quickly succumbed to near-terminal PTSD (AKA his connection to the server went belly-up), then I got killed because I'd stupidly changed my gun to single-shot instead of auto, which meant that I hit the guy who killed me once and didn't get to hit him a second time. Malf survived for longer, but then he too got killed. Al, who hadn't played Arma with us for about a year or so, survived the longest and took down the most enemies, but then he too was swarmed and killed. Still, fun two missions after a disastrous beginning. Let's hope the Arma sessions over the year will also just get better and better!

Thanks to everyone for joining today! Not sure yet if the next game will be in two or three weeks. I'll post an update once I know and I'll send around PMs on Steam.

Administrator
    Thanks for hosting it! Been ages since I've been able to participate and it was great getting back into the missions and joining in with the fun. I now understand the reference that Malf made to you turning into a seagull during the last mission

Details for the next session:

Date: Sat, 25 January 2020

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's online.

It seems there's an Arma sale on Steam, either right now or this weekend. Anyone who wants to complete their collection of DLC (to make sure that they never get the in-game ads again) or who's interested in checking out the game and joining our semi-regular sessions, this might be a great opportunity.

Thing What Kicks
    There's also a "Free weekend" event on... that started Tuesday.

I wish I had 6-day weekends

It's a shame I can't run an Arma session this weekend under the circumstances, but unfortunately it's impossible for me, as I have to go abroad for a family funeral.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm sorry to hear that, Thirith.

I wouldn't be able to do an Arma session anyway, as I have a prior gaming engagement this weekend. I'm doing a local Worms tournament!

How was the massacre, henke? And I hope you used the opportunity to recruit new Arma cannon fodder into our ranks!

Level 10,000 achieved
    I finished in second place! No new Arma requits I'm afraid. Maybe some Stilt Fella converts tho. I brought my laptop along and showed off the new multiplayer mode.

Now this is a surprise... We were four people tonight - henke, Jeshibu, demagogue and myself - and I thought we'd try one of the dynamically generated missions, in this case Dynamic Recon Ops (Chernarus). I'd read a lot about how it works well, but past experiences hadn't been great, so I thought we'd give it a final chance.

And it did pretty damn well, more so than most of the scripted missions we'd played over the last 2-3 months! The only two tech wobbles were henke crashing out towards the end (though that may also have something to do with his internet connection, to be fair) and the AI that replaced him simply refusing to budge, so Jesh had to take him out.

Other than that, though, we had a fun mission (and I suspect Jesh might also have had some grim fun showing A.I. Jones what happens to units that refuse to pull their weight). First, we were ordered to blow up the wreck of a downed helicopter, which took us past the enemy. We also realised that stupidly we hadn't grabbed any explosives, and henke's rocket launcher had an off day, but one of the enemy units we'd taken out on the way to the chopper had an old, rickety RPG that did the job just fine.

Next, we were tasked with taking out two high-value targets, one stationary one at a local airfield, and one that kept moving as part of a patrol. We first went for the airfield, with Jeshibu heroically liberating the tower and dema, our designated marksman, killing HVT one (Dalton, right?). The second HVT, Paris, was more difficult, since he kept moving around. We had intel that he was somewhere in this large wooded area, so we headed there - without henke, as this was when his game crashed - just as the sun was setting. At first this was actually quite okay, as the visuals were nice and the enemies had flashlights, so it was easier to spot them... but once we got to the forest, things got pretty dark, and we didn't see the patrol when we ran into it. Nonetheless, we succeeded at taking out Paris and then headed to the extraction point. Jesh went off to show Jones why he would have been better off following my commands to move to the landing zone, but as he was on his way back to the chopper bearing Jones' dogtags, shots rang out. It seems the enemy found us, so Jesh ran for the extraction chopper, got in, and we flew off into the sunset. Mission accomplished, and a very nice one it was too!

Jeshibu took some nice screenshots:

The top one is us in the back with the truck's very, very tired (read: dead) original occupants, the bottom one is henke trying to take out that truck beforehand with a well-placed shot - that pretty much just went up into the sky. We heard the explosion about 15-20 seconds later. No idea where it went down, but it was far, far away from where we were.

On the success of this session, I'll try to organise another one in two weeks already:

Date: Sat, 8 February 2020

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's online.
    Last edited by Thirith; 25th Jan 2020 at 13:51.

Thing What Kicks
    Ah crap, sorry I missed it, completely forgot about it!

No worries - next time! It'll be interesting tackling one of these Dynamic Recon Ops with a somewhat larger group as well. I was surprised at how well (for Arma) this mission was balanced, though; it was by no means easy but it didn't feel like the shredder we've had with the Escape missions, for instance.

Quick update: I've added a map to the modset, namely Fallujah 1.2. It's a relatively small map (about 200MB), but it should allow for some interesting urban combat. You can find the complete current modset at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=877349651. Please make sure to download the map before the next session (Sat 8 February)!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011