TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

Administrator
    Definitely not a good idea to run in front of you at that moment - I don't think you can much of the blame for that one! Last mission was definitely the most enjoyable of the session even if it had you try to murder me again for coming in through a door unexpectedly. Perhaps there's a pattern after all...

I did stop shooting you after the first burst, mind you, whereas you did the only sensible thing and well nigh emptied a magazine in my direction. Good thing Malf was around to bring me back from the brink of death!

And here's the video I made of yesterday's Finnish mission:

I was wondering in general: I've got a fair few missions that are likely to be well designed but they don't have respawn. How does the gang feel about playing these? Are you okay with them as long as they're not too long, so anyone who dies for good wouldn't have to hang around and watch the others make a pig's ear of it for two hours? Would you rather we only played missions that had respawn? Or are such missions okay under specific circumstances, e.g. the last mission of a session could be one without respawn, so people who die can decide whether to hang around or bow out?

Personally, the first warning of enemies I have is often bullets whizzing by. I think we might have to rethink our play style in missions with no respawn, and they'd better be on the short side.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww man I missed a Finland mission? Good video, Thirith.

Thanks! Does it look Finnish at all? We’ll definitely return there when you’re there - it’s a nice map with a distinctly different feel from, say, Chernarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Personally, the first warning of enemies I have is often bullets whizzing by. I think we might have to rethink our play style in missions with no respawn, and they'd better be on the short side.
    You're right, we tend to be pretty gung-ho. I wouldn't mind trying the occasional more dangerous mission and a more systematic approach, though as you say, ideally we'd do so with short missions to begin with. It's a bit annoying that I can't always tell if a mission is long or short if I play it on my own, because if you play a coop mission alone, it almost always ends the instant the one player dies. But I have a couple of missions that I suspect are on the shorter side, so we could prioritise those.
    Last edited by Thirith; 19th Jul 2020 at 17:34.

Concerning my earlier question: I didn't remember this while playing, but as long as there are slots taken by AI, it should be possible to exit and re-enter a mission once you've died, taking up one of the AI slots. (With some missions this works automatically - because it didn't happen here, I didn't think you could still reslot after dying.) This would mean that in any mission that we play that doesn't have respawn as such but it does have playable units taken by AI, we have something along the lines of spare lives. Perhaps one of the next times we play, we can retry that Takistan mission (approaching the second compound more carefully, spreading out more to avoid a grenade killing everyone and making sure that this Thirith guy doesn't open fire too soon) and see how it works if people can respawn into remaining AI.

Though I'd totally agree that we shouldn't play long missions that don't allow for some form of respawning. That may work for the big Arma groups, where you'll always have a lot of action to watch and other people hanging out in limbo to talk to, but when we're half a dozen people, it sucks if you're the person who dies five minutes into a hour-long mission with no possibility to join the battle again.

Anyway, talking about the next session:

The next Arma 3 coop session is happening on:

Date: Sat, 1 August 2020
    Time: 3-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's online.

Of course there's also the old school route of literally editing the relevant script file to set it to respawn. It sounds like the kind of thing that's covered in a single line of code somewhere that wouldn't be too hard to find, although there might be other complications involved with it.

That's a good suggestion, I'll look into it. Chances are it won't always be easy, or it might be too easy to screw something up, but what might be relatively feasible would be to change a variable so that players who get shot always go into wounded mode rather than dying outright if, say, they are shot in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post

You should be doing a "leader's recon".

Popping in to say: this is very much not my type of game, since I'm allergic to teamwork. However, I greatly enjoy the Youtube highlights. Keep it up!

Thanks, will do! It’s fun recording the videos and putting them together. As long as we do the sessions and I have time to do the editing, I will be posting vids.

Change of plans:

The next Arma 3 coop session is happening on:

Date: Sat, 8 August 2020

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's online.
    Though if anyone is around tomorrow, I may run an escape mission to test the setup. If anyone’s on Steam at the usual time, I’ll send a PM to ask if they want to join.

Henke joined me for a test run with Escape Lythium (which also served as a test of the Lythium map, which I suspect we'll return to next Saturday). I want to run a couple of tests with the Escape mission with smaller groups in between our regular session until we've got more of a feel for it, since when these missions go wrong they can be massively frustrating. Anyway, here's an uncut video of our second attempt at escaping the clutches of the Takistani militia. We got reasonably far, but then henke's lack of ammo and my apparent inability to switch to automatic fire when it would make a lot of sense messed up our plans. I might keep uploading unedited footage of our escape attempts, also so I can check afterwards what we should've done better - such as the aforementioned switch to full automatic, because then that dude at the end would probably not have managed to kill me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That was a fun session, and more successful than most of our Escape attempts.

Yeah, it was fun! I played the mission once or twice more on my own on Sunday and got further yet again - it helps to get a feel for how things are set up, and it also helps to use different factions than the vanilla Arma 3 ones, since those need to be shot 3-4 times before they go down, which makes the start more difficult. The mod factions are more vulnerable, i.e. you tend to go down after 1-2 hits but so do the enemy units. In any case, I think that with three players things will look different yet again: with the two of us, it happens quite quickly that one of us goes down, the other begins to patch them up, and already we're sitting ducks. With three or four players, one or two can keep guard while one of us patches up the wounded guy.

One thing that isn't ideal on the Lythium map is the distances: there are relatively few villages and towns, so especially at the beginning you can walk for a relatively long time before you get somewhere - though I don't know how much of this is randomised. For another time, perhaps we'll find a vehicle that doesn't later turn out to be a bush. It's a very nice map to look at, though, and pretty atmospheric. I think that with longer games it'll also be neat to have time passing and the light changing, as time passes six times as fast as in real life on default settings, i.e. we might start the mission in the morning and (ideally) make it out of there as the sun is setting.

Oh, and by the way, do any of you want to wear such snazzy patches on your uniform?

If so, I've created a Unit page here: https://units.arma3.com/unit/thefightingttlgers. If you join (though, annoyingly, you'll have to create a Bohemia account), you should be able to wear unit insignia and proudly display them on your vehicles. Huzzah!
    Last edited by Thirith; 3rd Aug 2020 at 11:35.

Hell yeah, applied!

You're in - and you got a promotion in the process! We're gonna be the Oprah of Arma units: Generals' stars for everyone!

Edit: Actually, it's colonels' stripes. But hey: halftone sheep insignia!
    Last edited by Thirith; 4th Aug 2020 at 05:09.

I expect everyone here already has the game, but the Humble Bohemia Interactive Bundle 2020 might be interesting for the various DLC.

Very good point - this would definitely be a great jumping in point for anyone interested in checking out Arma and possibly joining us for our biweekly sessions!

Thanks to henke, Jeshibu, Malf and demagogue for joining me today! We weren't altogether successful, just about winning the first, warm-up mission (Combat Den (Malden)) and then losing three games of Escape (Lythium) quite spectacularly, but it was a fun session. Though it's not entirely fair when we've just managed to scrounge a couple of AKMs and then a SU-25? SU-27? comes and carpetbombs us out of existence. Mind you, it was pretty damn spectacular and quite unexpected.

I'll sift through the footage and try to put together a best-of video.

Edit: Yup, it was a Su25, one of these mothers:

Makes perfect sense to send this after four US Army dudes trying to escape a shed in the middle of nowhere...
    Last edited by Thirith; 8th Aug 2020 at 11:59.

And here's the video I put together from yesterday's footage:

I'll be running another game in two weeks, at the usual time.

Next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 22 August 2020

Thanks to demagogue, henke, Jeshibu and Malf for an intense session - especially that final run for the extraction chopper! Will try to put a video together over the next couple of days.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Remember when I got that guy?

And here's the video I put together of the Chernarus mission:

It's fairly long, but that's because the epic finale practically demands to be done in one take. Malf summarised the drama and tragedy of it very neatly: if I hadn't done that thing I did, we wouldn't have had to do the thing we did, which almost killed the lot of us and finally failed through no fault of our own just a few metres before the end. Take that, Platoon and All Quiet on the Western Front: this is the true anti-war film game.

And, ironically, we probably could've beelined straight for the two HVTs because, after all, the task to destroy the enemy artillery somehow got cancelled, i.e. we could've skipped that entire gruelling battle in Krasnostav.

I'll be on vacation for some of September, which due to our current rhythm would result in four weeks without Arma, so I'm planning to run two games on consecutive Saturdays, 5/9 and 12/9, possibly with a lighter session focused on shorter missions and/or an escape mission on 12/9, and then it'll only be 3/10. And again in big, bold font:

The next Arma 3 coop sessions (exceptionally on consecutive Saturdays):

Date: Sat, 5 September and Sat, 12 September 2020

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast