TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

sounds good.

Thing What Kicks
    It really does!
    BADUM-TISH!

Fun session tonight with henke, Jeshibu and Malf. The first mission was trash - we were defending a base in a snowstorm that wouldn't let us see the bad guys killing us constantly - but we then did a mission in Zargabad that was much better, even if we failed our first task (taking out a High Value Target flying in by helicopter). We did get the officer we were supposed to kill, though, henke expertly blew up two artillery trucks, Jesh took out as many bad guys as the rest of us put together, and Malf healed us up more times than we could count.

If everything goes well, I should be able to put together a video of that second mission. In the meantime, I'm hoping to run another game in two weeks. As always, confirmation to follow.

Grumble... While the footage from last Saturday is good, I'm having problems working with it in Vegas Movie Studio. Will have to find a solution, because I think that the Zargabad mission could be turned into a nice little video.

Anyway, on to future business:
    The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 6 February
    Time: 3-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's online.

Hey I'll try to join that one if that's ok, hope you'll be able to tolerate my bad English. I haven't played A3 in a while but I remember enough that the setup should be straightforward.

Hey Briareos H - that'd definitely be cool! Let me know if you run into any problems with any of the mods, but generally they should work okay, and the new radio mod we're using, ACRE2, also seems to work pretty easily out of the box. (There are still some teething problems, but I'm hoping we can resolve them.)

Which time zone are you in? Are we friends on Steam and are you a member of the Fighting TTLGers Steam group? If not, let me know and I'll send you an invite.

I'm faelnor on Steam, I just joined the group and sent you a friend request. I'm a frenchie currently living in Sweden so my timezone is CET (UTC+1).

I've played both with ACRE 2 and TFAR in the past, not sure which I used the most but I'll probably be ok, I may need a refresher if you set custom frequencies or need to switch between long-range and short-range radios and such but from a quick look at your videos, it doesn't seem that you use the advanced features too much. I'll get the mod package and try it out in the upcoming days
    Last edited by Briareos H; 25th Jan 2021 at 07:48.

Perfect. :-) Once I'm done with work, I'll accept your friend request.

At the moment we're not using the advanced features of ACRE2, nor did we with TFAR. For the mission types we play, it'd probably be too much of a bother, unless there are clear advantages. However, I've not looked into all of ACRE2's functions and features, so if there's anything there that might be interesting to us I'm definitely interested in hearing about it.

Out of interest: have you played any Arma using the ACE3 mod?

I've played missions where vehicle long-range radios were useful for relaying information from the infantry that couldn't reach that far, or where radio operators or commanders were able to switch between local groups and command/HQ to coordinate their attack, but that was definitely more useful in large PvP setups than small coop missions. Also useful during WW2 games.

The group I was part of for a short time used ACE3, so I'm familiar with it but we never really used any of its features as key elements to our missions, except maybe fast-roping and parachutes. We tried the medical system but quickly ended up abandoning it due to it being too cumbersome (might be better during PvP, but in coop missions what's the point of having a realistic medical system when enemies don't behave realistically with regards to cover or taking hits?). We also tried realistic navigation with MicroDAGR and map tools but it was also deemed too bothersome.
    On the other hand, advanced interactions such as reload/refuel/repack/repairs, taking captives and fast roping are really nice and helpful during most types of missions.

Yeah, that's definitely the impression I've had, though not from playing with ACE3 so much as watching videos of others using it. The realism features strike me as too cumbersome for the kind of sessions we do, but I like a lot of the additional functionality that's optional. Perhaps I'll try to run an in-between session sometimes where we play around with ACE3, to see if it adds enough that is worthwhile.

What group(s) did you play with?
    Last edited by Thirith; 25th Jan 2021 at 11:36.

A small milsim-but-not-really unit which was an offshoot of one of the big French websites dedicated to FPS games. The good thing is that we never took ourselves seriously or tried to implement a realistic command structure or talk like real soldiers, it was more about the fun than about the realism, which seems to be in line with the philosophy of your group .

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516