TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 510151617181920

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

After this weekend I should again be around for the occasional Saturday session, and I'd definitely be up for more flat-falling. When I have a moment, I'll also check out Skate or Don't.

And yes, I also hope that we'll find another co-op game that'll accommodate more than four people. The Arma moments I enjoyed most over the last few years were usually the ones where there were more of us, and the frustrations we've had with Arma were usually amplified when the group was small (not least because it'd happen much more often that everyone is down at the same time).

I've been curious about 1-vs-group games like Among Us & Propnight.
    Well the killer rotates & it's coop for the group at least.
    I don't have a strong opinion about it though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A new ARMA game came out in Early Access yesterday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Arma_Reforger/

Apparently it's kinda a testbed for ARMA 4, and quite limited in content at this point. No singleplayer, just multiplayer right now, kinda crashy, slow. Looks pretty tho. Probably best to leave it alone for now, but I'm curious to see how it develops.

Hmm, I remember when the X series had this kind of test game for X4 called "X Rebirth", and it was a fiasco. It ended up being a terrible & buggy game.

It looked like X4 was such a massive project that they needed a quick cash-grab while it was still in development, and they were trying to test run some halfbaked ideas, or maybe they'd developed some tech they couldn't use for X4 but thought they could at least get some return for it.

I'm not saying that this has to be like that kind of situation, but the idea of issuing a sequel that's not the old version, but it doesn't take a new number either, it's just given a new name, that's kind of a red flag.

That said, the games between GTA 3 and 4 were good games, and in the X-series case, X4 did turn out to be a pretty cool game, and maybe X Rebirth played a role in helping that happen. But on its own it was a bad game. I think the lesson is you'd want to wait for the reviews to come in and maybe not pre-order it like I did for X Rebirth.

I'm generally interested, if perhaps not right now - Eastern European Cold War-inflected warfare isn't what I'm looking for right now (or heavily militarised combat in general), but I am curious to see what they've done in terms of the engine and controls. I think I'll give it a month or two, but if people are liking where this is going, I'll probably check it out.

While the geopolitical situation sadly hasn't exactly changed for the better, I miss our militaristic multiplayer shenanigans. Arma Reforger, the early-access game that Bohemia Interactive is using as an experimental platform in preparation for Arma 4, now includes a coop, PvE mode for up to six players. (See henke's post above.)

I know that a few people here are interested in Arma Reforger, and I could imagine that it'll be discounted at some point before the end of 2023. In view of this, I am interested in running the occasional Arma Reforger game in 2024... though this me hoping that the game is already reasonably fun in this mode. I'd probably do so in the usual Saturday slots that we had for Arma. Nothing 100% confirmed yet, but I wanted to mention the idea already so people can keep an eye on the Steam sale if they're interested.

I think I mentioned this before, but I've been playing some of the Arma 3 Antistasi maps, and it's really made for semi-regular multiplayer sessions. You play as a rebel militia over some territory, and it's basically open from there. You can pick any target or start a mission at any point, and it's all procedurally generated, so it's very sandbox and dynamic. I mean you can be as small or ambitious as you want for each session.

But you also get a sense of continuity as you get to know the place; you can slowly expand the villages you control; and you have an actual global goal you're aiming towards over time. Not that we'd need to play long enough to take over the whole place, but it may be good for periodic sessions. There's a version of it for just about every major map. I like Takistan, Tanoa, French Resistance in Normandy, and God help me even Viet Cong in Cam Lao Nam. But Tanoa is the one I like most of the free maps, maybe just because I have the illusion that jungle cover actually helps, unless people already have the Spearhead or SOG DLC, then the real history link is pretty interesting.

Well it's something that could be in the mix as well. I'll just make the proposal. I'm cool with trying Reforger as well. Also I may be going back to Tokyo in 2024, which will make it a much better time for me.

I could definitely imagine playing some Antistasi too, dema. That would be on public servers, right?

It would be one of us hosting our own server, using the IP address & password like we normally use, and the world would be persistently saved on that person's hard drive.

If you want to at least see what it's like, you can actually install it from the workshop, click host a server, and when you select a map, you pick the Antistasi version (if it has one), and play on your own hosted server solo. It actually plays well solo, but it's easy for people to just join in on the same server like we normally do. That way you can actually have different people coming on at different times or even playing it solo in between, but the world lives on the host's hard drive.

I'd also be up for this, must admit I miss the old fighting ttlgers.

I'll look into Antistasi; if it's easy to run sessions, I could definitely imagine doing it - probably with a much smaller mod set than we ended up having, though I think I'd still want to run ACRE for voice chat. (I like the directional chat plus radio combo.) Though I know some of the gang was tired of Arma 3's... idiosyncracies? bugs?, but I could easily imagine doing the occasional Antistasi session alternating with Reforger - provided that there'll be a good offer over the holidays. I'm not sure it'd be worth the current price for very occasional sessions.

Yesterday, we (demagogue, Jeshibu and myself) did a test session to see if we could play the Arma 3 Antistasi mod with a very small number of mods. Since it worked well, I am happy to announce the following two Antistasi sessions for anyone who'd like to join in:

Antistasi session 1

Date: Sat, 3 February
    Starting time: 3pm UK time
    Antistasi session 2

Date: Sat, 24 February
    What's Antistasi?
    It's a persistent whole-map mission in which we play a local resistance on a map where the local military is fighting an invading army, and we take on both of them. Doing small sorties and missions, we slowly gather resources to take on bigger and bigger targets and converting the island to our cause, town by town. Or we get shot to bits trying to race past a checkpoint in a battered old pickup truck. We'll see.

What will you need to join?
    • An updated installation of Arma 3 (possibly including the APEX DLC, depending on which map we want to play on)
    • An up-to-date TeamSpeak 3 client
    • The mods in this collection, all fully updated
    • Here's a list of optional mods tweaking your Arma 3 visuals and sound

On the days of the Antistasi sessions, I'll get the server for Arma 3 and TS3 started beforehand and will send everyone who'd like to join the IP and password at the beginning of the session. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you ready and willing to liberate Altis/Stratis/Malden/Tanoa!

We've now played three (I think) sessions of Antistasi and are slowly getting the hang of it... so we're continuing for now. If anyone from the old Arma gang is interested, or anyone at all really, here are the details of when we'll next be playing:
    Antistasi session

Date: Sat, 16 March
    What's Antistasi?
    It's a persistent whole-map mission for Arma 3 in which we play a local resistance on a map where the local military is fighting an invading army, and we take on both of them. Doing small sorties and missions, we slowly gather resources to take on bigger and bigger targets and converting the island to our cause, town by town. Or we get shot to bits trying to race past a checkpoint in a battered old pickup truck. We'll see.

• An updated installation of Arma 3 (possibly including the APEX DLC, depending on which map we want to play on)

On the days of the Antistasi sessions, I'll get the server for Arma 3 and TS3 started beforehand and will send everyone who'd like to join the IP and password at the beginning of the session. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you ready and willing to liberate Altis!

I think last Saturday's Antistasi session with henke and demagogue made me realise that while this is an Arma 3 mod, Antistasi needs to be played very differently from most Arma missions I've played. I'm slowly getting into the guerilla mindset, which also makes it easier to accept momentary setbacks - of which there are fewer than when we started playing the mod. It's very much about picking your battles.

So, what's next?

Antistasi session

Date: Sat, 6 April
    What's Antistasi?
    It's a persistent whole-map mission for Arma 3 in which we play a local resistance on a map where the local military is fighting an invading army, and we take on both of them. Doing small sorties and missions, we slowly gather resources to take on bigger and bigger targets and converting the island to our cause, town by town. Or we get shot to bits trying to race past a checkpoint in a battered old pickup truck. We'll see.

On the days of the Antistasi sessions, I'll get the server for Arma 3 and TS3 started beforehand and will send everyone who'd like to join the IP and password at the beginning of the session. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you ready and willing to liberate Altis!

Another successful Antistasi session, planned at short notice, with henke, Jeshibu and demagogue. Like a bunch of our sessions, it started with all of us getting massacred - but we rallied and first took out a bunch of Special Forces hiding in the woods and then took some AI troops we'd recruited to be slaughtered in the epic Battle of the Resources Dump, where we ended up liberating a military truck and getting lots and lots of guns.

Next Saturday (6 April) we've got plans to return (as announced in the previous post, perhaps to finally have a successful go at assassinating a traitor, since last time we let him get away.

As always: if anyone'd like to join us, let me know! We can always do with more people for the AI to shoot at.

Cheers to henke and demagogue for an almost entirely successful session. We started with an assassination mission where our target got into a car and raced away just as we passed, even though we were in undercover mode - but then henke took us past our target and I nailed him from the back of a pickup truck. Yeehaw! On the way back to base, an enemy truck equipped with an AT launcher spotted us and shot at us, but they were no match for henke's driving... and then we went back and took out the roadblock and stole the AT truck, to be used for another session.

This is where we got cocky and decided to take on one of the enemy bases at a radio tower. We'd upgraded our AI troops twice and headed for the tower. Dema took the back route to flank the enemy, and we approached from the front. The AI upgrades made a big difference: last time we took a dozen AI to assault a resources depot, and our AI was killed almost immediately, but this time they stayed alive for longer and picked off more of the enemy units, so slowly but surely we made our way to the top of the hill. It wasn't easy, and most of the AI still died - but we captured the radio tower, added to which there were lots of goodies up there to loot, including a Wildcat helicopter. I flew that one back to our base, while henke and dema loaded up a truck with everything we'd looted from the enemy.

... and that's when the enemy decided to take back the radio tower. They'd already sent some gunships after us, but those were more of a nuisance than anything else. But as henke and dema were looting bodies, an enemy MRAP blasted them into bits. To add insult to injury, we weren't able to add the chopper to our garage, because apparently you need an airport to do this... so henke proposed that we'd get into the helicopter and scare the guys who'd taken back the radio tower. We did, but they shot down the chopper, so we went down in flames... but dema didn't die in the crash, and he got us up again. Luckly, there were only one or two enemies at the newly retaken radio tower, and they didn't see us, so we were able to get back to the loot truck, hop in and drive it back to base, which meant a nice bit of additional gear for our next outing. Who knows? We might just take back that radio tower!

It looks like we'll be returning to Altis tomorrow in a week.

Antistasi session

Date: Sat, 20 April
    What's Antistasi?

Another fun Antistasi session, even though it was just henke, demagogue and myself. We decided early on that we'd try to hijack an ammo truck, and the game put that truck on the same hill as the one we liberated, and then lost, last session. Dema was a bit late in arriving, so henke and I took a bunch of friendly AI to the hill, henke climbed it from the west and started engaging the enemy from that flank, after which I attacked from the south together with the AI. During the battle, henke fell just before I managed to get to him, but when he respawned at base he met up with dema. In the meantime, I was trying not to die, and I managed to hold out till they got there. We lost all the AI units, but we got out of there with the ammo truck and a troop truck, which we took back to base - and then we headed back to the hill in order to take it for real. The enemy threw several MRAPs at us, but we took two of them out and outsmarted the third, finally taking the hill and the radio tower. Before finishing off, we garrisoned a bunch of units to keep the hill.

Now that we have got the hang of it, at least somewhat, I'm enjoying Antistasi a lot. We used to play separate missions of Arma 3, and that was (often) good fun - but here it is starting to feel like a longer fight, with individual battles that influence what comes next. There's an enjoyment in scavenging for new gear and unlocking better weapons (when you put enough of a certain thing in the arsenal at your main base, say 15 rifles or launchers or scopes of this or that type, you then have an unlimited amount of that thing, and any AI units you buy will get the better equipment too). Once we've unlocked a bunch of things, we'll get started on taking more enemy posts and turning more cities - and before you know it, we'll have retaken Altis. In two or three years.

Since the second half of May is pretty busy, we'll be doing two sessions on two consecutive Saturdays.

Upcoming Antistasi sessions

Date: Sat, 4 May

Date: Sat, 11 May
    What's Antistasi?

Tonight's session was successful in some ways and a fiasco in others. We started off by taking a factory not too far from the radio tower we'd liberated in the previous session - and apart from Arma's physics killing me when I tried to assemble a static AT launcher, it worked fantastically, with Jesh looking down on the factory and taking out bad guys with his sniper rifle. We then took another factory, though that one was more difficult - also because of some badly judged fast-travelling that left us without our AI for a while. Still, we did eventually take that rifle... and I think that this is where we may have got too cocky for our own good. We decided to do an attack on a nearby radio tower/enemy base, but there was desperately little cover, so we got shot to bits. And while we'd got some nice loot in the first half of the session, we ended up losing some of the gear we'd brought along to the second session. Note for next Saturday: let's be a bit more humble, liberate some more hardware from the enemy, and build up our strength, so that next time we have enough of the good gear to do some real damage.

... phew. Today was gruelling but finally successful - though we did sacrifice two entire AI squads in the process. We asked the game to give us a mission to retrieve (or destroy) an ammo truck, and it placed it right in front of a difficult-to-take base. We started successfully enough, with henke sniping the enemy units manning the MGs in the tower, and by then the AI squads were attacking the base - but there were so. Many. Enemy. Soldiers in that base, and they all went for us. We took out a lot of them, but there were just too many, and henke, Jesh and Dema died. I went down repeatedly, but I'd taken along about nine first aid packs and was able to get myself up again until reinforcements arrived. Still, we went through several rounds of attacking, killing a bunch, then getting killed ourselves, but we were whittling them down.

In the middle of all this, Al_B joined for his first taste of Arma in years... and it must not have tasted very nice. He spawned alone at base, unable to fast travel because we were engaged in a firefight. I think he managed to join henke and Jesh at some point, but I'm not sure he got much of the battle before he died. Antistasi definitely has a bit of a learning curve... Here's hoping that next time Al_B joins, we'll be able to give him a proper introduction.

Anyway: in the end, we did kill them all - well, Dema, henke and Jesh did, attacking from two sides, while I went to salvage the loot from all the killed enemies... and almost getting killed myself by a bunch of cops (not even actual soldiers!) that had circled around me and were trying to take me out. But we managed, we got the base, and while the actual 'get the ammo truck' mission timed out on us, the truck was still standing there when we got the base - so we didn't officially succeed with the mission, but we got all the goodies we wanted, plus a snazzy new base, AND a town that changed sides because of how cool we are. We rule.

Next game will only be in June, because I can't make the next three Saturdays, but we've already got plans to relocate our HQ to the new base. Towers with static MGs are just a bit more cosy than the old, run-down factory where we're currently shacked up.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 510151617181920