TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The uncertain future of games like Deus Ex and Dishonored

Chakat sex pillow
    As much as I love Bloodlines, it's despite its graphics and gameplay. Honestly, I wouldn't care half as much if it weren't for the confident writing and atmosphere that permeates the entire thing. Plus, it leavens all of that with a helping of intelligent satire and the dark humour of Fallout - you can tell that Troika loved infusing their work with actual personality. It's a rare, rare thing.

Starker's got a point in that most of the imsims we're fans of had faces only a mother could love, so to speak. Graphics certainly wasn't Deus Ex or Thief or SS2's strong point.

I'm currently replaying Bloodlines (Malkavian, cos havent done that yet). The graphics have a certain charm, although why they made everyone walk so sexily I dont know.

Well, it's VtM, so a sexy walk was mandatory. They ran out of budget to include a normal walk as well. Indeed, it was probably below things like "fix major bugs" and "late game content".

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    Edit2: Ok, on the topic of henke's question... The System Shock 3 trailer genuinely got me down. They don't have a real budget and the contrast to Prey really makes it noticeable. And I think it might make a difference not only with the look of the game, but with the systems and gameplay.
    Thief and SS2 didn't look all that hot either, though.
    Ok, this is a good opportunity to clarify something.

Well, I have to step back, as there are multiple points going on here. On the one hand, yes, I did mean straight up eye candy, which Prey has in spades and the SS3 trailer didn't so much. But there's another point lurking in there that I didn't bring out but I should now. Like other people are saying, it's the charm in the look of it, which is more about art direction and heart, for lack of a better word, being put in it. Prey also has that going for it, and so did Thief and SS2 and Deus Ex, and I wasn't feeling it in this trailer. Well not even just charm, but also confidence (I was thinking about that before Sulpher even mentioned it). The SS3 trailer came across as a bit too self-consciously fan-made-team-ish, and I think just by the nature of their enterprise that may be a hard tone to shake.

But I'll grant that all of that's kind of an unfair charge to level against the SS3 trailer at this point because it was an admittedly short trailer that didn't show much; it's still evidently at a very early pre-alpha stage so shouldn't be taken as representative of the final game; and you know they have to show the kinds of stuff they showed because it's probably a Marketing 101 thing. So I won't put too much stock into even my own opinion. I got bad vibes, but they were just vibes at this point, and I've been wrong about vibes before (but I've been right about them too!).

ZylonBane
    Y'all are crazy. Bloodlines looked fantastic when it came out, and still holds up well graphically even today. Since most of the environments are boxy urban exteriors and interiors, those are inherently going to age well. Maybe some people don't like the heavily stylized approach they took to the character faces, but that was a deliberate artistic choice on Troika's part.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't remember anyone griping about Bloodlines alleged subpar graphics back when. From what I recall, it was the first second Source game, released even before a mere two days after Half-Life 2 hit the scene. It was pretty cutting edge by the standards of the time.

There were plenty of complaints about its performance though.

Chakat sex pillow
    It ran like dog shit, and Half Life 2 blew it out of the water both in terms of art style and non-jankiness, immediately resetting the bar. This isn't entirely fair to Troika, given they were working with an early version of Source, but it is what it is.

It's still got great lip-sync, and a few physics bits and bobs, but its city's dark and crusty underbelly wasn't a standout to me then in terms of art direction, and still isn't now. Every time I think back about its visuals, everything has a patina of brown and yellow over it.

ZylonBane
    Outside of the Combine stuff, HL2's art style was "semi-photorealistic Eastern Bloc ghetto". Functional but nothing memorable.

Bloodlines, meanwhile, had a volcano-themed strip club.

These character models really look equally good to some of you?

I really don't think it's unfair to say that HL2 looked and felt much more polished and high-tech than VtM:B. IMO VtM:B is the better game regardless, and the fact that that's true in spite of those flaws demonstrates just how great it really was. I see no reason to try to claim its visuals were cutting edge. They got the job done with some style, and that's all they needed to do.

Moderator and Priest
    HL2 did look better, and utilized the underlying engine to greater effect, but Bloodlines was still comparable graphically to every other AAA game out at the time. Unlike, say, Deus Ex, it didn't look outdated the moment it was released. It looked contemporary.

Chakat sex pillow
    You do realise that Doom 3 had released prior to HL2 and Bloodlines, yeah? And that Far Cry came out before Doom 3?

ZylonBane
    Never mind that putting up the single most iterated character model in the entire game against Bloodlines' equivalent of an HL2 citizen model is hardly a fair comparison.

Still looks a lot better to me... but hey, why don't YOU post what you see as a fair comparison if you're married to proving this point?

That HL2 model has some uncanny valley going on, his head doesn't look like it fits with the rest of his body, and his hands are huge.

HL2's mod scene is something I wish immersive sims had even a little taste off.

Something like that, and a game is set for life, community content-wise.

ZylonBane
    Dude what? Do you have any idea how many fan missions there are for the Thief games?

Deus Ex 1 got a fair few as well. SS2 has a moderate amount too.

What was the name of that fanmade DX expansion where you play as Paul? I can't remember for the life of me, but I remember it being pretty awesome.

Never made it too far into the Nameless mod. So many in jokes.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Dude what? Do you have any idea how many fan missions there are for the Thief games?
    450?

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    What was the name of that fanmade DX expansion where you play as Paul? I can't remember for the life of me, but I remember it being pretty awesome.
    Zodiac! It was awesome.

Never made it too far into the Nameless mod. So many in jokes.
    I think you missed out. You don't have to be a veteran of the Planet Deux Ex forums to get the jokes. If you are a fan of Deus Ex and remember what internet forum culture was like in the late 1990s and early 2000s, you'll get the jokes. It works as a parody of old school internet forum culture in general. You can even see a lot of TTLG in there. If you can get past the fact that it's a parody, and you're not saving the world in typical DX fashion, it's really an excellent game. You get 20-40 hours of Deus Ex gameplay depending on how much you explore, and that's just for one faction. After, you can replay it working for the other faction. I don't know of any other mod that offers a comparable amount of quality gameplay.

Ah, yep! Zodiac was it! Thanks!

And hey, I can always try the Nameless mod again, assuming I can get it running.

ZylonBane
    Burden of 80 Proof is still one of my favorite mods for anything.

I got stuck in the sewers in Nameless Mod, and dang if that whole big section wasn't dull as heck.

ah sewer levels, when will they ever learn?

I finally played and finished Human Revolution, it was only a little better than my first impressions in 2011 and a few tries after that, I give it 6 out of 10, na mean.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast