TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The uncertain future of games like Deus Ex and Dishonored

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Burden of 80 Proof is still one of my favorite mods for anything.
    Yeah, I really liked that too. It was short, but fun.
    Project 2027 is another great one.

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    I finally played and finished Human Revolution, it was only a little better than my first impressions in 2011 and a few tries after that, I give it 6 out of 10, na mean.
    I finally played the Director's Cut late last year. It was on sale for $2.99 on Steam. I enjoyed it more than I expected. The original game was maybe 8/10 for me. The Director's Cut is probably 9/10. If it wasn't for the lame final level, it would be competing with DX1 for my favorite game.

I just like the quote that makes up the title of this article. (The article itself isn't all that groundbreaking, but it's interesting for what it is.)

Warren Spector: "If immersive sims disappear, I disappear"

Quote Originally Posted by Games Industry
    Immersive sims is a genre all about choice, but fans are rapidly running out of them.

Deus Ex, Thief and Dishonored are all on hiatus following the disappointing performance of their latest outings, and the poor reception for Underworld Ascendant (the spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, deemed by many to be the first immersive sim) makes a follow-up unlikely.

It would be easy to argue the genre is dying, at least at the level of major publishers, and the scope of such projects makes them difficult for indies to deliver. At Reboot Develop, we asked Warren Spector -- known for immersive sims, including Deus Ex, Thief and System Shock -- why the segment is struggling.
    warren

"The reality is we ask people to work," he told GamesIndustry.biz. "It's an interesting thing. The immersive simulation is not the kind of game where if you keep moving forward, like a shark, you'll eventually win. It's not the kind of genre where you just solve a puzzle the designer created for you, or kill everything that moves and you win. It's a genre where you have to decide what to do, you have to choose how to interact with the world. That is work, it requires brain power. So I suspect that's part of it."

But surely that's integral to the genre's appeal? These games are all about choice. If a player wants to treat Deus Ex, for example, as a shooter and go in all guns blazing, they can. Alternatively, they can approach it like a stealth game, or concentrate on hacking and other non-combat abilities to find new avenues forward. Essentially, it's like an RPG but without number-crunching or the grind.

"That's exactly right," said Spector. "The odd thing is I always thought, and still think, that's the most mainstream idea you could possibly think of. If I play a shooter or a stealth game and I'm not good enough, all I can do is stop playing. Same if I'm playing a puzzle game and I'm not clever enough. In the immersive simulation, if the combat or stealth is too hard you try something else."

Spector suggested that part of the genre's decline might be because elements, even the entire ethos, can be found in other games. While he's careful not to claim direct influence, he cited Zelda: Breath of the Wild as a game with, "some of the tenets of immersive simulation." Similarly, the Far Cry series has been built around enabling players to adapt their playstyle how they see fit.

While the System Shock 3 director can't speak for other companies' games, he does know Underworld Ascendant has "done well enough to get our next game funded" -- although he said he doesn't know the exact sales figure.

"My business partner handles all this stuff because I just want to make games," he said. "I do not want to think about it. I spent a few years with Disney thinking about the studio as much as I was thinking about the game, and I don't want to do that anymore. I suspect you're right, that sales weren't quite what we hoped for, but I really don't know."

Regardless of whether his company's latest release sold well enough to fund another, it's impossible to ignore the number of companies struggling to sell this type of game in sufficient quantities. Given how risk-averse this industry can be, particularly at the top, does this mean the end is nigh for immersive sims?

"It's not going to disappear," said Spector. "Well, if it does, I'm going to disappear. By choice.

I think we'll get more. When is the question, and the quality of them.

Much like other genres. I'd love to see more RTS games come out, but for now we get next to none, but that will change eventually (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I just like the quote that makes up the title of this article.
    Warren Spector: "If immersive sims disappear, I disappear"
    ...'Cause you're hoping WS disappears?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Noted gamedeveloper and pervert Robert Yang has been doing a Let's Play series where he analyzes leveldesign. I really enjoyed this recent video on My Summer Car, which he argues is an immersive sim. I never would've thought of it like one, but I gotta say it makes sense.

There's a part 1 as well, but this session is more successful. He also done videos on Thief 1, Underworld Ascendant, Bioshock, Half Life, etc. and next week he's doing Infra.

That was great, the game and the commentary.
    It's an immersive sim in Warren Spector's sense of simulating a real world place just doing what it does.

I just heard about My Summer Car today since one of the surprise games I got from Fanatical was Revhead, which is this same kind of game set in Australia.
    Then I saw this in the like-games list. (Also in that list was Street Legal Redline Racing, Jalopy's sequel Road to Guangzhou, Car Mechanic Sim, and Automation... tooling around with car engines to varying degrees from casual to hardcore.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    MSC is the most authentically Finnish game I've played. Your parents' house which you start in, the greenhouse farms in the countryside, and the crappy little town centre feels more like the real world to me than any other locale I've explored in a game.

I didn't get very far in it when I played it a year ago, but Yang's video inspired me give it another try.

It didn't go great.

Thanks. I will have to give this a try over the weekend.

Level 10,000 achieved
    After my van-flip I restarted for one more attempt.

Successfully managed to go to the store, buy food and return home without dying.

After the fridge was stocked I walked around my backyard smoking a cig for a while to get my stress level down, then a shower, and bed. Halfway through the night I'm woken by a phonecall. There's some drunk guy on the line wanting me to come pick him up from the pub. Ok, now I have a mission. Hop in the van, drive over there, pick the guy up, buuuuut, he doesn't tell me where he lives, so I just drive him home to my place.

I don't know what to do with this guy.

Maybe get him a shirt.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    "...the poor reception for Underworld Ascendant..."
    This seems like an excessively diplomatic way of saying "Underworld Ascendant being unfinished garbage".

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided sequel was cancelled so that they could make this boring ass looking Avengers live service game, with 2008 quality pre-rendered cutscenes. Fuck you, Square.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm. :/

When I heard they were working on a Marvel game, I thought Black Widow could be a good fit for a Deus Ex-style immsim, but this is obviously not that.

Chakat sex pillow
    It says 'in-engine footage'. Now that could be pre-rendered, but I'm guessing from the healthy amount of jaggies that it's real-time, which means it's kinda impressive. Also bland as fuck and looks and sounds like a cartoon spin-off, but I bet that's at least partly from Disney holding their +1 Hammer of Franchise Authenticity over any originality CD could have come up with.

Anyway, the more important thing is, why the fuck is Nathan Drake playing Iron Man?

Que?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345