TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 9 "The Wailing Keep"

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Once you have updated, you should be able to just load your old save.
    *siiiigh* I updated, but now my saves are all gone. Also, when I choose a game to play from Darkloader, FMSel would automatically open, but now it no longer does that. How can I get my saves back if I can no longer open FMSel? Is there some other way to open it? I couldn't find any helpful threads on doing so.

Using Darkloader and FMSel together is a bad idea, but if so far it's been working for you, you may as well keep doing that for this FM and when finished, sort things out properly.

To re-enable FMSel, open your T2 folder and open cam_mod.ini. Near the top there should be a line that says ;fm. Delete the ; and save the file.

How do I update to 1.25? I get an error saying that I'm not updated.

I enjoy your missions and would love to play.....

The easiest way of installing the newest version of NewDark for a Thief 2 installation these days is Tafferpatcher. See http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106 for details and download links. Just download the newest version, start the .exe file you downloaded, and point it to the Thief 2 installation on your hard disk. Tafferpatcher usually finds out by itself what needs to be done to update that particular installation to the newest NewDark version. It also offers you to install (or remove) some additional enhancement packs for the game, which are neither required for or part of NewDark, but may add some fancy stuff if you wish.

For Thief 1, there's TFix, doing basically the same task for a Thief 1 installation.

Well, I just gave up and replayed the whole game from the beginning and now the staff finally works. However, I'm stuck at two points:

I've found the magic elevator, but the top floor button is broken and I can't get up there. Previous replies have instructed to just rope arrow up, but I CAN'T do that. I can shoot an arrow up there just fine, but the rope doesn't extend long enough for me to reach by far, and there's nothing else made of wood anywhere.

Also, I've found the rooms opposite each other with the two levers that don't seem to do anything when you pull them. Apparently I'm supposed to wait until a ghost or something appears at the opposite lever, but no ghost ever does. I look through the window and see the opposite lever just fine, but no ghost appears and nothing else happens. What do I do?

EDIT: By some miracle, I tried firing a rope arrow again and this time it extended down long enough for me to reach. It was still a hassle trying to squeeze through, though. So at least that part's solved, but I'd still like to know what the deal is with the two levers.

EDIT2: Ah, I get it. So the lever thing only works after you dispel the force field. I think I've got the rest of this.
    Last edited by Lady Taffer; 9th Jan 2018 at 22:48.

Ok, I finally finished it and I have to say it was fantastic! Well worth the long wait. Honestly, though, after the credit sequence I was half expecting a bunch of giant white statues to start chasing me.
    There is one issue I had with the storyline, though: I thought Mathian's character was introduced a little too abruptly. After the ritual gone wrong he just kind of appears out of nowhere with no foreshadowing. I only found one readable mentioning him briefly, but that was it. Maybe in the earlier missions if there were more readables mentioning him and alluding to his sinister ways that would have been better. Unless. . . there were and I just missed them all.

Anyway, that was one of the most atmospheric FM series I've played in a long time and I can't wait to see more!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Glad you figured it out! This mission was intended to be difficult although I don't know of others who had issues placing the rope arrow. Anyway, you are correct that his appearance was mostly unforeshadowed aside from the one readable, and in hindsight I wish we had laid a little more ground for it.

So I got a serious problem, looks like a bug. After I defeat Mathien, and redo the ritual with the 3 scrolls, the screen fades to black, and nothing happens. Here's my quicksave . I'm using 1.25

I think we need a save before you place the scrolls.

It fails for me too. It's not quite as you described - after placing the scrolls everything goes OK until the "Karras guy may be trouble" line has been spoken, then it goes black.

You can continue without missing anything significant with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End.

@Yandros: I think you should have a look at this. (I'm baffled.)

Ok cool thanks! Was worried that it was supposed to continue after that

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Looks like you don't have NewDark 1.25. The staff won't work without it.
    I have 1.25 installed but the staff won't fire and I got stuck in pitch dark after Julia's second resurrection.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    You are probably missing squirrel.osm then, as it's also required for those two functions to work. That osm is included in NewDark 1.25 but I don't know that it gets installed by Tafferpatcher necessarily. At any rate, the mission is done if you got to that point and you can just Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End to advance.

Yeah that's how I ended the mission but I enjoyed the ending. When 1.25 came out I just unzipped it to my Thief 2 FM play folder. I might go back and replay this mission after adding squirrel.osm.

It makes no sense to me how to open the sunken cathedral again near the end... please give me a clue. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentlancon View Post
    how to open the sunken cathedral again near the end... please give me a clue.
    There is a book somewhere in the tower which mentions using two levers simultaneously. Unfortunately, you are only a single person and cannot use both levers at the same time. So it's time to improvise. Begin by watching what happens near those levers.

If you still don't understand what to do then: You have to wait near one of the levers. Look through the nearby window and wait until someone appears and uses the other lever, then use "your" lever as well. The sunken cathedral should be accessible again now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345