TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Checkpoint saves are often implemented with very little actual "state" being saved, which more-or-less works if the checkpoint is isolated from the action. Saving the full state can be a significant task to support arbitrary quicksave.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm wondering when (or if) Red Candle Games will ever put Devotion back up for sale on Steam. It was getting great reviews, and Detention was really good, so I hope I still get the chance to play it. But, you know, China.

I complained to the Scorn devs after having a play of the demo released at the time of the KS. Due to the checkpoint use, it led to lost progress in a few sections where a simple save load would have fixed everything. I advised the devs of this and was promptly told nope thats not what they want in the game. So I called them lazy programmers. That went down well.

Their complaint about not having the time to update backers on progress backs that up. If you cant be bothered to keep backers updated then dont go to KS. Get outside funding instead (which they later did anyway). Visually the game looks great, but that was a long time ago, and we've seen barely anything new that wasnt already in the demo since.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Checkpoint saves are often implemented with very little actual "state" being saved, which more-or-less works if the checkpoint is isolated from the action. Saving the full state can be a significant task to support arbitrary quicksave.
    Right, adding proper save/load late -- after everything else -- is probably a lot harder than doing it early on. I personally prefer being able to save at will (which is also why I'm glad I didn't wait to implement that stuff myself), so having a slight scoff at not being able to is a bit of a knee jerk reaction of mine. Then again, not being able to always (quick-)save can, in cases, add to the experience. It depends on how much progress is being lost -- and the type of progress -- so it needs to be balanced.

In a game depending on player skill I don't mind as much having to repeat a sequence, because I will most likely benefit from the extra practice later on, but if it's more about character skill, then the forced repetition feels like more of a chore. Mirror's Edge is a good example of the former; the satisfaction of doing something in a better or more efficient way was worth not being able to save at will. I admit it was frustrating at first, but after having played a while, I realized it was better that way. I've also played games with really involved tasks that was fun to figure out, but a pain to execute, and having to repeat those was not the most joyous of experiences, so having been able to save would have been most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I complained to the Scorn devs after having a play of the demo released at the time of the KS. Due to the checkpoint use, it led to lost progress in a few sections where a simple save load would have fixed everything. I advised the devs of this and was promptly told nope thats not what they want in the game. So I called them lazy programmers. That went down well.

Their complaint about not having the time to update backers on progress backs that up. If you cant be bothered to keep backers updated then dont go to KS. Get outside funding instead (which they later did anyway). Visually the game looks great, but that was a long time ago, and we've seen barely anything new that wasnt already in the demo since.
    Writing good reports for the public does take time and effort (and the more involved the subject, the more time and effort will it take), but I agree, with a full(?) team around you, it shouldn't be too much to ask (although being a team come with its own challenges). As a one-man dev I can understand it not happening, but, of course, public funding does come with extra obligations and spending one day each month on public updates isn't that much. It might not even have to be every month so long as it's somewhat regular. I can imagine them being all about finishing the game -- which is good -- but, as you said, they are probably lacking that someone with enough of a full grasp of the game to be able to collect and summarize what's needed for a public update. Maybe they feel that now that they have private funding, the public updates aren't as important!?

If I'm being too apologetic about it, it's because I struggle myself with switching between the public role and the "dev hermit in cave" role (no history of public funding yet, though, but I still need to be -- or will eventually need to be -- more public about what I do).

...and, haha, calling them lazy programmers was probably not the most diplomatic thing you could have done -- and might even only have strengthened them in their will not to implement manual save.

Lol yeah probably.

And I've backed a fair few KS projects by this point. Many which had only 4-10 people working on them, and they managed monthly updates fine. Scorn from memory is around that mark employees wise, possibly more after the publisher came on board.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Borderlands 1 GOTY (the remaster) out now on Steam. It's been delivered as a patch to the vanilla game.

Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel 4K assets DLCs out as well.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/9..._Texture_Pack/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/9..._Texture_Pack/

Borderlands 3 is exclusive to Epic for ONLY SIX MONTHS!!!

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    As far as I can tell, Tangiers is still in development. The updates are done mostly on Twitter and the last mention was a month ago. Last update via kickstarter was in August 2018. They also co-released Paratopic, so they are definitely still active.
    Thanks for the update. Let's hope the game gets released some day. Any game that mentions Throbbing Gristle is worth checking out.

Icemann, thanks for the update on Scorn. It caught my eye because it looked good. I have no expectations for the gameplay. I also don't like checkpoints. But I understand that checkpoints might be a lot of extra work. The developers need to make sure they store all "state" in the savefile. That might be more work that we realize. And it'll be easy to forget something (= users complaining about bugs). At this point, I hope they just finish and release the game.

EvaUnit02, I knew that Pathologic is a remake. As I wrote, I played the first one. Only half-way through, then I completely lost track of what I was doing and what was happening in the world. The translations were a big part of that, of course. And supposedly we (westerlings) would not pick up half of the meaning of things, because we don't know enough about Russian culture. So I am very curious what will happen when Pathologic 2 will have been adjusted to us. Maybe it'll be the greatest game ever. But maybe all the "magic" is lost. I'll see.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Level 10,000 achieved

Mmmm! Not much to go on gameplaywise, but maybe the focus on staying discreet means there'll be stealth-elements?

Thing What Kicks
    I just finished Titanfall 2 this afternoon, and I noticed there was a "Special Thanks" to the Respawn Star Wars Team, so they have been working on that since at least 2016.
    I'm gueesing it'll be bombastic, action-packed and won't outstay its welcome, while running buttery smooth if Titanfall 2 is anything to go by. And I've got no problem with them nicking Titanfall's wall-running mechanics.

Level 10,000 achieved
    American Fugitive looks like the rural GTA1-alike I've been wanting to make since I played Absolute Drift.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Level 10,000 achieved
    In other "game devs somehow stealing my great ideas before I have had time to make them"-news: Mike Bithell is making a simultaneous-turn-based John Wick game, which looks a lot like the John Woo shootout-themed Hoplite-alike I was totally gonna make at some point.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...us-every-move/

It's probably gonna be great. Dammit.

I'm very perplexed as to why we don't have an Arkane studios subform yet, but -

Has anyone noticed that Arkane is co-developing the co-op Wolfenstein: Youngblood and the VR Wolfenstein: Cyperpilot with Machinegames?

The screenshots of Youngblood look quite disappointing. The teaser vids made it look like they were going for Blood Dragon style 80s stylization, but the screens just look exactly like the first 2 games, only with the Deus Ex reboot nanosuit armor.
    Last edited by froghawk; 12th May 2019 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Has anyone noticed that Arkane is co-developing the co-op Wolfenstein: Youngblood and the VR Wolfenstein: Cyperpilot with Machinegames?
    It sounds like Arkane might have a pretty significant and interesting influence on this:

Wolfenstein: Youngblood will have Dishonored-like 'open-ended' level design

Chakat sex pillow
    What if Snake, but you were a bus?
    What if Snake, but you had a jump button?
    What if Snake, but in Paris? but in Rama? but in Miami?

I'm intrigued. Also I know henke probably will be. Aside reports of short playtimes and rough optimisation and general clunk, the idea still fills me with glee. Snakeybus!

I dont think this is a game thats really meant to be played, more to be streamed.

"What art style should we use?"

"I dunno. All of them?"

You know I've been watching a lot of Gordon Ramsey cooking vids, and not the stupid reality show ones, the ones where he actually cooks stuff and teaches how to do it. He has a particular way of speaking which I think would translate well to a game.
    -Heats up pan with olive oil
    -"chicken, in"
    -"marinated broccolini, in"
    -"rice noodles, in"
    would make a good game

Getting some In, with Gordon

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'm intrigued. Also I know henke probably will be.
    Oh yes, it's on my wishlist. But I also read some ambivalent Steam reviews, and I think I'll hold off for optimizations and a sale.

Moderator and Priest
    I guess this is some kind of hype, so I'll put it here.

The original Half-Life intro redone in glorious UE4 stylings.

Chakat sex pillow
    Good use of UE4's lighting, reflections, and general materials - but why is the colour correction tuned towards a washed out sepia haze? Did Gordon decide to stick photochromatic lenses on in this alternate dimension?

Moderator and Priest
    I dunno. Because it's in the desert, maybe? From the way it looks to me, the air filtration system isn't doing a good job of clearing all the ambient sand out of the air.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast