TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Chakat sex pillow
    If I ever start a band, I'm gonna name them Ambient Sand.

I already don't like them. They're course and rough and irritating.

Chakat sex pillow
    But that's the idea, it's like sand that gets all up in your

...anyhooch, who else can't wait to hear the next Cigarettes after Sex album

Level 10,000 achieved
    True story brag: I saw Cigarettes After Sex live last summer. They were pretty good.

Moderator and Priest
    If anyone here were to start a band, it should be Henke. He could write songs about driving trucks.

Does Finland have a Country Music scene? I know they have quite a metal scene...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

New Splinter Cell being teased by Ubisoft employees.

This has been rumoured since 2016. Glad to see it's coming finally!

https://twitter.com/jgerighty/status...95675329335296
    https://web.archive.org/save/https:/...95675329335296

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    If anyone here were to start a band, it should be Henke. He could write songs about driving trucks.
    And I would too. It's only my complete lack of musical ability that's holding me back.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    And I would too. It's only my complete lack of musical ability holding me back.
    So learn 3 chords, and start a punk band. A punk band that sings about driving trucks.

Wasnt there a rap song about that, released recently?

Moderator and Priest
    Probably.

I'm happy to join the TTLG band, either on drums or keyboard, doubly so if we meet in VR. I played in a (mostly blues) band for ten years. I draw the line at country music, though. And I want groupies, because I've done all the carrying of drum kits that I care to do for the rest of my life.

thats cool, I didnt realize you were also a musician. I meant as well as being a great arma3 leader!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hey I didn't know that either. Our boy Thirith has hidden talents it seems!

Where's the soundcloud, man?

Chakat sex pillow
    It looks like none of us did. I'd be up for a henke and Thirith collab to hash out some country bluegrass truck punk, and Jesh can bring the groupies (though they might all be cats[as in, literally, cats]).

Oh, we were way too authentic for putting our music on the internet. Obviously. (At least while I was a member of the band.) In any case, there are precious few opportunities to tickle the ivories while bleeding out on the battlefield, speeding through Los Santos or being really bad at Disc Golf.

hell a VR rock band experience would be cool, if you had accurate tools

There is a Rock Band VR, but in effect it's more Guitar Hero VR. You play with a rock band, but it's single-player and guitar only.

LittleFlower
    Pathologic 2 is out.
    RPS review burns it to the ground.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ogic-2-review/

My biggest fear came true. I played 2 weeks of Pathologic 1, back in the day. I loved it. But I had to stop half-way, because I couldn't understand what to do anymore, couldn't understand the story anymore, couldn't make sense of it anymore. That in itself was fun, as long as it lasted. Finally a really mysterious game. I loved the atmosphere, the little city, the graphics, the art-direction. What I didn't like was 1) the survival-game aspects of the game, 2) the time pressure. In a game like Pathologic, I want to walk around, explore every corner of the map, talk to all NPCs, follow all quests, all leads. I wanna take my time doing that. And what happens ? In Pathologic 2 the survival-game elements are made stronger, and the time-pressure is increased.

Not gonna play it. Bummer.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    And I want groupies, because I've done all the carrying of drum kits that I care to do for the rest of my life.
    Uh, I think you mean roadies. Your better half may take exception to groupies

Yeah, you're right on that one. I realised my mistake after I'd written the post, but then I liked the image of scantily-clad groupies dragging around crates and stuff.
    Last edited by Thirith; 25th May 2019 at 13:25.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    RPS review burns it to the ground.
    In a game like Pathologic, I want to walk around, explore every corner of the map, talk to all NPCs, follow all quests, all leads. I wanna take my time doing that. And what happens ? In Pathologic 2 the survival-game elements are made stronger, and the time-pressure is increased.In a game like Pathologic, I want to walk around, explore every corner of the map, talk to all NPCs, follow all quests, all leads. I wanna take my time doing that. And what happens ? In Pathologic 2 the survival-game elements are made stronger, and the time-pressure is increased.
    RPS had the wrong person review it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the right person for the job was John Walker (RIP). His Eurogamer review from 2006 for Pathologic was on point and balanced even if it gave the game a 6/10.

So: isn't part of the point of Pathologic that you can't do everything you want to? At least as far as I can recall, it's never been about getting what you want, or making it easy to find what you need, and it was never about winning. The reason it invokes Epic theatre and defamiliarisation right at the start is because it wants you to observe what's going on instead of getting caught up in a personal win/loss scenario. It's very much about existential dread in a way that only Russia can do; I'd rather have that blade drawn sharp and quick than blunt and slow as it saws right through people's comfort zones.

Which means, yes, it's dramatically unfun, and most people are going to find it massively opaque and unfriendly (punishing you for dying is the most Pathologic thing I can think of, but also sounds essential to the end goal), but I can only assume that was the point to begin with.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 25th May 2019 at 13:16.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    So: isn't part of the point of Pathologic that you can't do everything you want to?
    No.
    At least as far as I can recall, it's never been about getting what you want, or making it easy to find what you need, and it was never about winning.
    I don't want to "win". I don't want an "easy win".
    I just want to play games the way I like it.

I don't care how others think I should play a game. I don't even care how the developers think I should play their game. I play games the way I want them. And usually that means: "very slow". And very calm. Using my brain. Not running around in full panic mode. Or running around with a red haze before my eyes, wanting to kill everything that moves.

The last few years I have spent very little time playing games (compared to the years before). But about half my game-time has been Dark Souls[123]. I am pretty sure most people will not like the way I play those games. I am sure Miyazaki did not intend me to play the game the way I play it. I don't care. I play the game in a way that I find fun. (To give you an indication why my DS-experience is probably different from most other people: I find the "challenge" of fighting hard bosses the least appealing part of the game).

it wants you to observe what's going on instead of getting caught up in a personal win/loss scenario.
    And that is exactly why I want to play slow. And on top of that, I want to spend my time focusing on the environment, the city, the NPCs, the story. And not on game-elements like finding food or doing fist-fights and searching for bandages.

It's ok if those elements are part of the game. But they should not be the core of gameplay. As an example, I played System Shock 2 long time ago (in 2002, I think). SS2 has respawning enemies. Fuck that. So I installed a mod that got rid of the respawning enemies. But I configured the mod so that there would still be a few respawning enemies. I would run into one once an hour or so. That did scare me every time. But it wasn't a nuisance, like the default game-play. I want something similar in all my games. Even when the developers think I should be on my toes all the time.

Which means, yes, it's dramatically unfun
    I can not imagine why someone would want to make or play a game that is "unfun".
    Especially when that game should earn you a living. I fully agree that developers should not try to cater for the masses. Because then you get boring games. But making a game that is not fun for anyone (except the mindless fanboys and utter masochists), that is a bit weird.

Hopefully some day someone will make a mod that changes the game more the way I would like it.
    But until then, I won't buy or play it in its current version. Bummer.
    Two hype games left: Tangiers (which might never be released) and Scorn (which will be released god knows when).
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 26th May 2019 at 13:26.

Chakat sex pillow
    All I'm seeing is blunt refusal to engage with a game on its own terms, and a refusal to accept that's the vision as intended. If you want to sledgehammer your own personal play style into games, that's fine, that's your choice. But if they don't allow you to play it your way because that's not what the intended experience was, I have little sympathy for complaints, elaborate or terse, about how you ought to be catered to. If it's not for you, move on.

And re: being unfun, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but I'm going to spell out the obvious anyway: art doesn't have to entertain everyone. It can be about making a point that you don't particularly agree with, enjoy, or relate to, and that's part of its purpose.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 26th May 2019 at 14:22.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    All I'm seeing is blunt refusal to engage with a game on its own terms, and a refusal to accept that's the vision as intended.
    I'm very good at blunt refusals.

As I wrote, I don't care much for intended visions, when playing games. I try to find my own way to enjoy my entertainment. I don't think my refusal is blunt. I played the original. I know what I didn't like about it. The reviewer says that 2 out of 3 of those things got worse. So I'm not gonna bother. I can even explain my reasoning why I am not gonna bother. Nothing blunt about that.

I have little sympathy for complaints, elaborate or terse
    I wasn't complaining. Just said: "bummer".

art doesn't have to entertain everyone. It can be about making a point that you don't particularly agree with, enjoy, or relate to, and that's part of its purpose.
    We're not talking art here. We're talking about a game. A commercial game even (I got to pay if I want to play). If they take people's money, they could at least try to entertain some of their customers (as opposed of trying to make a game "unfun" on purpose). And again, I'm not complaining. I just find it weird that a company is intentionally trying to reduce the sales-potential of its product.

Did you buy it ? Are you gonna play it ?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 271213141516171819 LastLast