TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2712171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Level 10,000 achieved
    Noita is looking very good. I'm really enjoying Environmental Station Alpha right now, it's by one of the Noita-devs. I'm not sure I'm into procedurally generated platformers tho. Neither Spelunky nor Dead Cells grabbed me. Will have to watch some let's plays of this to feel it out.

RE: TLOU 2. I am so hyped for it I don't even wanna watch the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    [Uncharted 4] is obviously a game that's too long, paced too loose, and the story and acting is unusually inert for a series that's usually full of rollercoaster Indiana Jones madness.
    Agreed, but if it's any consolation, the pacing in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy was much tighter.

edit: OK YOU ALL TALKED ME INTO IT I'M BUYING NOITA
    Last edited by henke; 25th Sep 2019 at 10:51.

The original game should now be known as The First of the Last of Us.

TLOU2 - Looks like a really standard revenge story, which can be fun but yes, very cliched. I trust ND will mix it up a bit and make it interesting somehow. The only real bummer is its looking to be about 90% Ellie and only 10% Joel.

But even so, yeah, here, please take my 60 bucks.

As far as I'm concerned, the stories that Naughty Dog tells have always been clichéd, but their characterisation is always solid, bolstered by great performances, and there's surprising nuance in the main characters. I buy the characters, more so than in most AAA games, and for me that largely makes up for their other flaws in storytelling. But yes, I do hope we're not just going to get a simple revenge story, and I definitely hope we're not going to get a facile fridging of Ellie's girlfriend.

Ah for a second Noita reminded me when that dynamically Falling Sand browser game came out ages ago and we all played around with it and posted links to our creations and by far the craziest one was by Para?noid -- it was this black and blue contortion of collapsing twigs and sprangles that looked like a tortured & fractured mirror into his broken soul -- and I said something like that's the most fucked up thing I've seen in a long while, meaning that actually as a compliment. I was awestruck by it. But the guy is so sensitive he immediately deleted it and I didn't even take a screenshot or anything so all I have is my distant memory of it and now it's gone forever. Sorry, I just got all nostalgic. That's the first memory that came to me though.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the stories that Naughty Dog tells have always been clichéd, but their characterisation is always solid, bolstered by great performances, and there's surprising nuance in the main characters. I buy the characters, more so than in most AAA games, and for me that largely makes up for their other flaws in storytelling. But yes, I do hope we're not just going to get a simple revenge story, and I definitely hope we're not going to get a facile fridging of Ellie's girlfriend.
    I think that would be the most uninteresting path they could take, and at this point they've earned some credit towards not always choosing the most obvious narrative. I'm more interested in what's going on with Joel, because either he's not really there, or Ellie and him had a reckoning over how TLoU ended at some point, and that wound festered into something poisonous. At least that's where I think they'd go in terms of natural narrative pathway.

henke: that is some consolation, because it's next on my to-play list!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 25th Sep 2019 at 14:16.

More Naughty Dog games need to start coming out on PC.

Moderator and Priest
    It'd be nice if they did, but unfortunately, it'll never happen.

I think Morels: The Hunt could appeal to some people around here.

It's going to be a game about wandering around areas of the USA while picking mushrooms and taking photographs of wildlife.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That looks like the vegetarian version of theHunter: Call of the Wild.

I have to say that I found the animal animations in that one really offputting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Dennis Gustafsson has been teasing this voxel-destruction-thingy on twitter for a while, and today finally unveiled what the game is actually about.

Gotta say, I'm intrigued! This sounds like a unique and fun application of voxel-tech.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167630/Teardown/

Moderator and Priest
    I guess this belongs here, mostly because it's rad, and it's a take on an up and coming game.

Breath of the Wild 2: N64 Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I think Morels: The Hunt could appeal to some people around here.
    Looks nice, although as Thirith wrote, the animations for the animals need improving, especially that of the birds. The other animals were acceptable, in my opinion. I've added it to my list of followed games.

Could also be interesting if the devs allowed the player to die by eating false morels, which, unlike the true kind, is poisonous (mistaking one for the other can happen if you're not careful). We actually have a history of eating the false kind in Sweden, because it reportedly tastes good, but also a history of people dying from eating it -- even after pre-boiling it a couple of times, because apparently the toxin accumulates (in your liver, I think it was) over time and pre-boiling only reduces the amount, without ever removing it completely. Even just smelling it can make you ill, especially if in a confined compartment like a car when returning from the woods with it packed with false morels.

A similar game that's already been out for a while is Walden, a game, a game about Thoreau's days in his cabin in the woods. It's okay if a bit grindy. Feels like the focus is more on crafting and survival than learning about Thoreau and exploration. In winter time you can skate on the lake (or go by boat in the summer), though, which is nice, as it means you can travel faster and farther away from your cabin. I feel like the survival gets a little in the way. There is apparently a sandbox mode, though, which unlocks after you've gone through a full cycle (all four seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Dennis Gustafsson has been teasing this voxel-destruction-thingy on twitter for a while, and today finally unveiled what the game is actually about.
    Added to my wishlist.

Level 10,000 achieved

Catching up on some HYPE

John Wick Hex and Hexa Trains just came out, so if you're in the mood for something hexy you got options. I might pick up Hexa Trains pretty soon, big fan of the dev(he also made The Little Crane That Could). And I'll probably get John Wick Hex when it comes to some platform other than Epic Store. Also just picked up Trine 4. Putting the band back together with Jesh and Sulph for some co-op action.

Anyway, that's not what I was gonna hype up right now, check this out!

Yeah, looks great right? You can download and play the quite beefy 4-level demo right here. It's made by the guy behind Spark the Electric Jester, but he says this isn't the game he's working on finishing at the moment so I guess a full release is still a long way off.

Also from SAGE 2019: Pizza Tower, a platformer with slick gameplay and great animation.

Demo here

Moderator and Priest
    So why has no one told me that the new Yooka-Laylee game is apparently fantastic? I expect at least one of you to keep up with this stuff.

The game snuck up on me, given that the original committed the gravest sin a game can make: it was boring. I wasn't expecting much from a sidescrolling platform, but now everyone's running around, saying that it's the best game of its type since Tropical Freeze, and an amazing callback to the SNES Donkey Kong Countries.

Wish I got it instead of Dragon Quest III now.

BANNED
    Death Stranding is mere weeks away.

And I've just finished God of War, including the side missions I wanted to do.

We were just talking about Diablo.

For some reason Blizzard can get away with a 10 minute, well it's more of a cgi film short than a trailer, and it doesn't even show any gameplay. But I guess that's how these things work now. Anyway, here it is, the cinematic trailer for Diablo 4.

Chakat sex pillow
    That cinematic's definitely the attention-grabber. It's squicky and dark like the introduction to Diablo 2 was, but channels enough camp that it's not particularly effective from either side of the tonal spectrum. Still, those production values, huh? If they had a decent storyteller amongst the lot of them, they could make a full-length movie and it'd be brilliant. But they don't, so we have to make do with tired tropes carried by creative concept artists and best-in-class CGI animation in the games industry.

Gameplay video here:

BANNED
    Gameplay looks fun tbh.

Online only for a singleplayer RPG is very ridiculous though. Especially as they allow it just fine on consoles.

Chakat sex pillow
    Blizzard hasn't considered it a single-player RPG since at least Diablo 2. Not that that's ever been a good justification for locking their game out for people who'd rather solo it. It's why I didn't buy Starcraft 2, and why I picked up Diablo 3 for as near free as was possible. No big loss to me either way, their days of being genre benchmarks are long-gone.

FWIW, Diablo 4 is going to be open-world, which is sensible given that the story isn't exactly a draw, so the mechanic of gating world areas behind some random lore-dribbled quest chain is probably fucking off. On the one hand, it makes the game more accessible to people who just want to slaughter things; on the other, it removes any remaining sense of mystery in the world. It makes me chuckle; this is what games as a service means, I suppose.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 5th Nov 2019 at 01:47.

That attitude (by Blizzard) is why I've never played Diablo 3. I also can't support a company that is pro China and suppressive of player views, which runs counter to their own code of ethics.

With so many good games to choose from, it makes it the more easier to say no thanks and not give them my money.

Moderator and Priest
    The Torchlight games are just as good as the Diablos. If you haven't played them, and you're really jonesing for a clicky RPG fix, just get those.

Chakat sex pillow
    From a mechanical standpoint, yes. From an aesthetic standpoint, not quite - they still trade in a cartoony aesthetic that changes the atmosphere towards something less grimy and bleak. The Torchlight games were, however, made under the leadership of the former co-founders of Blizzard North, so they're always going to be better successors to Diablo than Diablo 3 was.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2712171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast