TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 381318192021222324 LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

I have very little interest in Diablo 4 on PC, but Diablo 3 was a great couch coop game for me and my wife, especially since she didn't grow up playing video games. It was a fantastic way for her to unwind after work, and killing hundreds of ghouls and goblins can be supremely cathartic. I'm hoping that D4's local coop on consoles will work as well.

Still Subjective
    Death Stranding comes out tomorrow.

The amount of work out into this thing... Looks like it's going to be an experience and not a game.

Maybe I should play the Metal Gear Solid series.

What I've read in reviews sounds quite interesting. Majority of the gameplay is you being tasked with connecting up communities with a network. So you travel from point A to point B (point B being the delivery point). As you travel you need to contend with how much to carry, as the more you carry the more likely you are to fall over, which results in supplies being destroyed.

Problem being that various terrain is more hazardous, with huge mountains, snow and with enemies around like BTs (which are essentially evil spirits) and human terroists. You don't want to kill anyone as that results in even more harmful spirits being around.

So what you want to do is to build things with those resources you have on you to build various structures (zip lines, bridges, roads etc) which are then there for all players to use, as the games state is persistent. So as you travel you'll find structures other players built, which can be of help to you in getting where you need far easier.

As the game goes on, you get to purchase better gear which enables a larger inventory, faster movement, less falling over etc etc. As soon as I read about all that from an extensive Kotaku article (which I can link if theres interest) that the game became far more interesting to me.

The part I found interesting is that players can leave messages to each other and, well for lack of a better term, backdoor troll through that system, but it seems this was expected and intended. So as you progress, developed areas start becoming increasingly seedy, like boom town red light districts, and that reviewer (Guardian) said he started looking for alternative paths through undeveloped areas just to get away from that and back to the simplicity of the first part, just a guy in nature. But the encroaching of society made it increasingly hard to avoid.

That in itself is a message. The game doesn't even have to push it; it happens naturally & the game lets it. You're trying to reconnect society and make things run smoothly at the same time you're being reminded why society sucks and why the inefficient slog through unvarnished nature has a purity and simplicity in itself.

I think you phrased it right; it's meant more as an experience you endure than a game you play, and I take it that it leaves you with a lot to think about and relieved you just got through it. It's a weird kind of feeling of accomplishment. I still don't know what to think about it, but it makes me think I ought to see it just to see something this unique at this large of a scale.

Chakat sex pillow
    To be completely accurate, what that reviewer meant was the social messaging system of plunking something down for likes was being increasingly cheapened by low-effort emoji droppers. I doubt it gets 'seedy' or in fact developed due to player involvement (the game brings over structures into your game based on various metrics, including overall ratings, so it can't wholesale plonk an entire settlement of ladders, say, into your game), since you never actually interact with another player in the game.

I don't want to speak for the reviewer so I'll just quote it. The term seedy just came from the red-light district reference, but I see what you mean. But the overall point is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    Over time, the thrill of acquiring hi-tech items yields to a pang of regret. Other players’ emoji signs litter distribution centre entrances in the quest for cheap likes, and rugged landscapes start to resemble red-light districts. You start to crave undiscovered delivery routes for a reminder of the game’s unspoilt beauty. Thematically, it’s pretty overt: mankind’s attempt to tame nature – through selfishness, or selflessness – is storing up an environmental problem.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, the red-light district reference is because the emojis are like little bits of neon on the landscape. Here's a video that explains it. It's an interesting subjective take, but given that structures decay over time and it's likely no two players will experience the same set of structures, it's also not the entire message.

For those who crave the original feel of the game, the game could really use a mode that has all the online stuff off.

If you'd just have the structures you create, be permanent (during that play through). That'd be pretty fun.

Still Subjective
    Does it have that? I'd be surprised if not.

Chakat sex pillow

not my hype, but Steam says this is relevant. Thanks?

Level 10,000 achieved
    The community has spoken!

Level 10,000 achieved
    MS next Flight Simulator looks very pretty.

But I dunno if it's something I'll really be into. I know I'm a weirdo, by my fave Flight Simulator was the F2P title MS Flight from 2012. I'm not interested in long haul flights in airliners, but gimme a small Icon A5 and have me deliver packages between different points on an island and I'm happy as a clam!

My ideal flight sim would be the new Microsoft Flight Simulator world engine with the DCS flight model and cockpit fidelity, along with the Falcon BMS dynamic campaign. That would be too perfect, so it's not gonna happen.

If you ever get really desperate for haulage missions henke, the DCS Mi-8 has a DLC campaign called Oilfield where mostly everything is heavy lifting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ow0id6VMo

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    MS next Flight Simulator looks very pretty.
    That's not pretty. That's nigh ridiculously realistic.

Watching that made me want to learn more about how they managed to pull something like that off. Turns out, it's even more detailed than you'd think. Like two petabytes raw data detailed. You only install something like 0.00001% of the game to your computer. The rest is streamed on the fly.

Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Nov 2019 at 21:47.

"...on the fly"

I see what you did there.

Moderator and Priest
    Awwww, scchhhnnnaaappp!

Level 10,000 achieved
    2020 HYPE SCHEDJ

Kentucky Route Zero: Act 5 - January 28
    Stilt Fella - February probably oh hey how did this get in here
    Half-Life: Alyx - March
    Doom Eternal - March 20
    Resident Evil 3 - April 3
    Cyberpunk 2077 - April 16
    The Last Of Us 2 - May 20
    Ghost of Tsushima - Summer

Sometime 2020 probably:
    Sable
    MS Flight Simulator
    Watch Dogs Legion
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Polygon's 50 most anticipated 2020 games
    Gamesradar's list of upcoming releases

I'm so torn on MS Flight Simulator. I'm amazed by what they're trying to do and I love the idea of flying over life-like digital reproductions of places that I know in real life - but I'm pretty sure I'd find the actual game relatively boring. It'd be different if they had helicopters, which they might eventually; I find the way helicopters fly more inherently enjoyable than the constant forward motion of planes.

Other than that, there's a bunch of games there that I'm looking forward to, in particular Alyx, TLoU 2 and Kentucky Route Zero - and Stilt Fella, obviously. But right now I'm not actively excited about any of them. Which is me rather than the games; I think I've entered one of my semi-regular gaming slumps.

The way I played MS Flight Sim X kept it interesting for me. There are missions that do this, but you can do it yourself. Basically make it a game of navigation. You give yourself a massive route with waypoints, distances, and compass directions that fly over interesting landmarks (or the waypoints are themselves landmarks), and then try to follow it. It's like the air version of Virtual-O (orienteering) or Dakar 18 (rally by compass). It's an inherently casual kind of game, something to do that doesn't take too much thought to relax with some music going, just enough of an objective to have something to do, and you get to enjoy the view while you're at it. I'll probably get this next version, but I'm not in any rush... Whenever it pops under $20 on sale, maybe, however long that takes.

I think it might be the year of the backlog for me. There's not really much that's getting me excited, save for The Last of Us 2. Cyberpunk maybe, but I'll wait for reviews. And I suppose it's possible we'll get a System Shock game or two.

BotW2 or Metroid Prime 4 would be great, but I'm guessing we won't see those this year.

System Shock 3 is all but cancelled. Happened last month. All we have left is NDS's remake.

I don't know if "hyped" is the right word, but I do have a couple of games on my Steam wishlist at least that I want to keep an eye on and which are supposed to be released in 2020:
    Across the Grooves (visual novel)
    Artificial (FPP)
    Creaks (Amanita)
    The Darkside Detective: Season 2 (oldschool P&C, enjoyed the first game)
    Dystoa (FPE, helped kickstart it)
    Ego (FPE, seems similar to NaissanceE and Kairo)
    Lightmatter (FPP)
    Metamorphosis (FPP, you play as a beetle named Gregor(!))
    Papetura (P&C made out of paper, although the creation of the game might be more interesting than the game itself (like Trüberbrook))
    Paradise Lost (FPP adventure)
    Teardown (voxel destruction, looks like fun)
    The Uncertain: Light At The End (FPP/FPE with action elements, first chapter was charming)
    Urban Explorer (hopefully they'll focus more on the urbex than the announced action and horror elements)

There are more, but I think those are the ones I'm most eager to see released this year (At least one of them ought to, right!?).

Then there are all the other games that lack a proper release date (like Dark Train: Coupe, Mansions of Madness: Mother's Embrace, Rainy Season, Off Grid, Miegakure, Asylum, The Drifter, and so on). I'm still hyped about Tangiers and "That Other Game That Never Seems to be Done" (the release date is now set to "20XX", so hopefully this century (while I still have faculty left to play it)). Atomic Heart and Scorn will be interesting to see how they turn out (I want to play at least one game out of the ordinary, so maybe one of those).

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    System Shock 3 is all but cancelled. Happened last month. All we have left is NDS's remake.
    First I've heard of this. I searched a bit and couldn't find any mention of it anywhere, not via Google, the forums here, or on Otherside's forums. There were some layoffs at the studio, but I see no mentioned of the game being cancelled. Where did you hear this?

Chakat sex pillow
    To be fair, he did say 'all but cancelled'. These haven't just been some layoffs, a lot of key personnel have exited as per this forum post. I'd check their LinkedIns, but I don't want to look like some sort of cyber stalker. If true, the signs don't look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    First I've heard of this. I searched a bit and couldn't find any mention of it anywhere, not via Google, the forums here, or on Otherside's forums. There were some layoffs at the studio, but I see no mentioned of the game being cancelled. Where did you hear this?
    I was going by this thread from over on the systemshock.org forums. A sad time if this is indeed the end of it. I can't say I was super hyped about it, but I'd still have played it for sure. Just to see how it turned out.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 381318192021222324 LastLast