TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491419202122232425 LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Hopefully they'll pull it together and/or get a publisher soon. But despite the layoffs, is seems there are still people working on it.

I should add Dying Light 2 to my HYPE list too, quite excited for that. I still play the first game from time to time, and have put a boatload of hours into it between PC and PS4.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I was going by this thread from over on the systemshock.org forums. A sad time if this is indeed the end of it. I can't say I was super hyped about it, but I'd still have played it for sure. Just to see how it turned out.
    That sucks. Did they ever patch Underworld Ascendant into not being shit?

Not really. Well I've never finished it to be honest so it might improve further into the game, but there are just so many design issues, underdeveloped features and a certain level of corniness that makes it difficult for me to persevere with it. There's some great potential there as well I feel, which makes it even more tragic.

Sad to hear about SS3 and what this studio could have been. But I guess you can never recreate the past

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that they patched it from being broken shit into being not-broken shit.

I just watched the Easy Allies Doom Eternal preview and the game looks pretty damn cool. They're definitely excited about this one. But then I remember how excited everyone was about Doom (2016) and how much people loved it - and how it simply didn't grab me. I'm still hoping to return to it at some point, and perhaps it'll finally click with me, but realistically speaking it's more likely that Doom simply isn't for me any more, and the same will probably be true for the sequel. (Dare I admit that I was also underwhelmed by Titanfall 2, another gamer darling?)

Chakat sex pillow
    I found myself a bit of a victim to Titanfall 2's hype. The campaign is pretty damn good, but its best ideas were already implemented in Dishonored 2 (and one of those ideas was probably inspired by twisty's university prototype IIRC). It's really just a well-designed game that's long on gimmicks but short on meaningful character.

Doom, meanwhile? Loved it. Got bored with it. Stuck with it. Liked it all the same in the end. It was too long, but got the basics so right. It's like mainlining a keg of adrenaline and surfing on the resulting ultraviolence high - ain't gonna get old for too long. I'm looking forward to the sequel on the strength of what '16 did. Pretty hype!

For me Doom 2016 plays like Unreal Tournament. Very fast and adrenaline pumping. Definitely faster than the original Dooms, and a VAST improvement over Doom 3. Though I didn't mind Doom 3. It just wasn't "Doom". Felt more like System Shock 2 minus the RPG mechanics and far more on the jump scares + teleporting enemies.

The slower pace of Doom 3 works surprisingly well in VR. There's a mod that, like all such mods, isn't perfect, but it's still a neat proof of concept of what first-person shooters can be in virtual reality.

Doom 3 for me felt like it was trying to jump on the Half-Life bandwagon of linear narrative-based shooters. Except then Half-Life 2 came out and made Doom 3 look like it not only was it anywhere near the wagon, but was barely limping several kilometers behind.

Half-Life 2 blew me away at the time. Even before release, when they released that 1 hour video going through what their engine was capable of. Amazing at the time.

I had a lot of fun playing HL2, but overall I recognized what it represented and I wasn't actually happy with it. I've written about it before at length. It was the main trend-setter for this do-everything, entertainment-experience FPS convention that it feels like every FPS since has tried to emulate... As opposed to a more stark, immersive FPS style. It's why Stalker stood out so much in bucking that trend (although I recognize it was also a kind of try-to-do-everything FPS; it would take more words than I have time to write now to really distinguish what I'm thinking about). I guess I could agree it had a big impact on me at the time, but in a very mixed-feeling kind of way.

Chakat sex pillow
    HL2 inspired similar mixed feelings for me. It was a bravura opening, but the game settled into this formula of varying things up that became easy to predict, and the formula within each iteration of a new gimmick/dynamic also followed a set pattern - I saw someone refer to it elsewhere as 'introduce, test, challenge' -- and you know, while that's the basic idea for any mechanic in any game, it's writ large upon the HL2 experience. Like if you took a bird's eye view of the game, you'd see that three-step repetition across each chapter with the only anomaly being what happens at the end.

This does not make it less enjoyable, mind you; I only wished that it was less transparent and predictable.

the fucking boat levels man, fuck those right up its wanghole. The opening really had me a bit excited, but then as Sulph said it settles into a more bland pattern. Decent game overall and I can see why its so influential (for better or worse). I'm with dema on the Stalker thing, there hasnt really been anything that immersive and entertaining since.

Remind me. Was that boating around where you had control of the boat, or when you were sitting in one and having to shoot enemies?

If it's the latter, Resistance 3 has a section exactly like that. Very annoying.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pretty sure he's talking about the part where you drive the fanboat through the canals. The vehicle physics in HL2 weren't much to write home about, neither the fanboat nor the buggy, but I still liked those interludes.

edit: on the topic of HYPE, Hayfever comes out in a month.

I've played a bit of this at expos and it's a solid lil' platformer.
    Last edited by henke; 24th Jan 2020 at 09:05.

I didn't mind that part either. I loathed the sand jumping puzzle however -- the tedium of laying down debris with their wonky physics -- and some of the head crab areas.

Yeh I meant the canal sections, for some reason I just found them tedious and just wanted it to be over. Keep in mind I didnt play it when it first came out, only a few years later, so I guess that lessened the impact on me.

I loved Half-Life 2 at the time, but if I were to play it for the first time now, I would want it to be a much more concentrated experience. It has many good ideas, but it stretches them out way more than is necessary or effective. At the time we were more used to first-person shooters being a certain length, I think, so it simply tried to match those expectations, but in my mid-40s I think that quantity in and of itself is about the last thing I look for in games. A game can feel too short, but it's way more frequent for me to think that a game has overstayed its welcome.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    the fucking boat levels man, fuck those right up its wanghole.
    These and the buggy bits were some of my favourite parts!

Be interesting to step into a parallel universe where the Half-Life's never came out. Wouldn't have Steam. Likely no Epic Store either.

I think it was only a matter of time until someone got filthy rich hosting online distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    ...the buggy bits...
    Heh. Riding a buggy? Lots of bug enemies? Or software bugs?

Being troubled by software bugs while driving a buggy through a field of Antlions?

I kind of feel like Half-Life 2 was overrated. It was a decent game, but never stood out for me as much as the original Half-Life did.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 26th Jan 2020 at 08:15.

Half-Life 2 Episode 2 was really good. Well, mostly really good.

LittleFlower
    I played HL1 in December 1998. I loved it. It was the start of me playing games (SiN and Unreal next). I played HL2 when it was released. I played HL2E1 some time later (can't remember exactly when). HL2 was OK. It was after I played Morrowind, and before I started playing WoW. Looking back, HL2 didn't make much of an impression tbh. I loved the engine/technology at the time. But for me, the gameplay was less fun than HL1. And I forgot everything about HL2E1. I guess after Morrowind and WoW, I realized that games with swords are more fun than games with guns.

So this week I downloaded HL2E2 and played it a bit. I'm in 2 hours now. I can't say I'm enjoying it. What a boring game. Sorry. No story (yet) ("oh no, we got to find Alyx's dad"). Crawling through brightly lit tunnels. I've got no idea what I'm doing. I've got no idea why I should care. It's a bit disappointing. I can understand why Valve doesn't dare to make another HL game. Should I finish HL2E2 ? Does it get any better ?

[unrelated to HL2E2]
    Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong with me. There have hardly been any films in the last 10 years that I liked. (I used to love films up to then). Is it me ? Of course I do watch and enjoy tv-series (much more fun and much more interesting than films these days).

Between 1998 (HL1) and 2014 I played a lot of games. Somewhere in 2010-2014 I lost my love of games, I think. I enjoyed TW3, I think GTA5 is awesome. But I have big problems finishing games since then. I haven't finished Dishonored 2, I'm halfway GTA5, still haven't finished the DLCs for TW3. I've started lots of promising games, but never got far in them. Looking at the icons on my desktop: Control, Journey, Observer, Sinking City, Draugen, Metro Exodus, Firewatch, Ghost of a Tale, Kingdom Come, Sekiro are just a few games I have installed over the last 2-3 years. But I have never played more than 1-2 hours of those games. All I've played and finished since 2015 was Darksiders 2, The Witness, Ashen and all 3 Dark Souls games. Maybe the Dark Souls games have spoiled me ?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm afraid... you're no longer with it, Gryz. :|

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491419202122232425 LastLast