TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Moderator and Priest
    What Brethren said. If not for emulators, I never would've been able to play Secret of Mana II.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Another good example would be Chrono Trigger, a game I've always heard great things about but have never played (but someday I will!).

(And I'm not paying whatever astronomical amount the cart goes for on Ebay these days either).

I've even discovered some NES and Sega games that I enjoyed a lot. Nothing from the second generation that I can remember, though. Even some of my old favourites like Montezuma's Revenge make me cringe these days.

Chakat sex pillow
    I would never have played FF6, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, or Super Castlevania 4 without emulators, and missing any one of those would have been misfortunes of an incalculable order. (Also because they paved the way for me to get a goddamn Playstation and experience Silent Hill, FF7, MGS, Chrono Cross, and many more really important things without which a firm education in vidyagaems is summarily incomplete.)

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Even some of my old favourites like Montezuma's Revenge make me cringe these days.
    Really? I play a bit of Montezuma's Revenge at least once a year, and still love it.

Well, if you compare it with something like Super Robin Hood, it feels really primitive.

Moderator and Priest
    There's a lot of nostalgia behind my continued love for Montezuma's Revenge, I'll admit. If I were to play it brand new today, I'd probably see it as a good example of classic gaming that's a little too prototypically simple to survive the test of time.

Though Pharaoh's Curse remains awesome to this day.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Hollow Knight is out today! Looking forward to replaying this on the Switch. $15 for the game and all the expansions.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was looking at metacritic's highest rated games so far this year to see what I've missed. I don't have much interest in God of War, but figured I probably should give Celeste a chance, so I picked it up for the Switch. I'm a couple stages in, currently trying to figure out how to beat the hotel boss. I like it a lot. It's got great platforming of course, but the characters and story are also drawing me in. It's hard to put down, which is the mark of a great game.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I read that Nintendo stock is down 16% this month, mostly blamed on their poor showing at E3. That seems really harsh. Seems like they're going to have to come up with something really interesting post E3 to rebound from that. I think their biggest mistake was, after announcing it last year, not showing us anything at all on Metroid 4.

I think Nintendo's routine of regurgitating all of their staple franchises every time a new console is released is getting a bit old for everyone. Of course, there's always going to be a new Mario or Zelda game, but it's probably time to start coming up with something new as well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wow.

Yeah I didn't see anything I liked from them this E3.

RE: Regurgitating franchises. I think they get around that by innovating a lot with every new entry. It's not like they're resting on their laurels, just releasing a new Mario with prettier graphics every generation, instead there's real gameplay innovation to go with it. Mario Sunshine was all about the water-spraying, Galaxy was about jumping between planets. Same with Zelda.

Moderator and Priest
    The new Octopath Traveler demo is out. It's most of the main game, letting you select all 8 characters, limited to 3 hours of playtime.

And it is GRAND! It captures everything that was great about JRPGs back when, updating everything to more modern standards, without indulging in any of the annoying tropes that have plagued the genre pretty much since FFX became its benchmark. I haven't played through all the characters yet, but so far, there hasn't been a single angsty teenager out to avenge the destruction of his village.

If anything, it feels like a nice cross between FFVI and FF Tactics/Vagrant Story. It's pretty much a throwback to the best of Square.

At least once per page I have to mention Arms again so that everyone at least gives the demo a try, loves it, and buys it, the increased sales of which will motivate Nintendo to release new characters and stages and modes for that instead of spending all their time on stupid Smash Bros.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's working! Or at least half-working. I've downloaded the Arms demo. I have yet to play it.

stupid Smash Bros

you are dead to me son, dead

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Nintendo has some weird gift card options. $35, $45, $70? I would say it's the equivalent of the old Xbox Points trap of being forced to buy currency packages with odd numbers to cheat you out of more than your intended purchase requires, but they also offer "normal" options like $10, 20, 50. *shrug*

I just picked from the US eShop from their E3 sale:-
    Mario XCOM Gold Edition
    Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition
    Golf Story

Two exclusives and one multi-plat suited for portable gaming.

US eShop wanted to know a ZIP code so that they could apply sales tax, I gave them a random one from US tax haven state Delaware. The gold ol' method of picking US gift cards from Amazon works for Nintendo too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    At least once per page I have to mention Arms again so that everyone at least gives the demo a try, loves it, and buys it, the increased sales of which will motivate Nintendo to release new characters and stages and modes for that instead of spending all their time on stupid Smash Bros.
    Make a proper Punch Out for Switch, then I'll care.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 18th Jun 2018 at 09:30.

you do realize you can just pay the exact amount with a credit card right?

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Make a proper Punch Out for Switch, then I'll care.
    Never played Punch Out on Wii, but that isn’t really relevant. Arms isn’t Punch Out and isn’t supposed to be.

Do you also know what Arms isnt?
    Super Smash Bros

Yeah, whatever. I've played enough Smash Bros to know that I like Arms waaaaaaaaaay more.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaay more!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    you do realize you can just pay the exact amount with a credit card right?
    You do realise that international customers often have to use work-around methods when purchasing from digital storefronts outside of their geographical region due to the likes of IP detection, who/where your credit card was issued, etc, right?

Aren't you Australian too? You should understand very well about being fucked by jacked up regional pricing.

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, Aja! Guess what? I'm downloading the Arms demo!

I recommend playing with motion controls at least to start. Controller might be a bit more precise, but it’s not as satisfying when you land punches.

Moderator and Priest
    I played it in handheld mode, so I didn't use the motion controls.

It was alright. I liked the style and presentation, but it doesn't seem that there's that much depth to it. Yeah, I'll admit that it might be hard to judge that based upon a demo that only throws you against two opponents, but what I saw didn't absolutely blow me away.

Right now, if I were to get it, I'd wait for a big discount. I didn't hate it, but it's not something I'd want to pay a full $60 for.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I can easily recommend the Horipad. Affordable, solidly built gamepad with a flawless turbo feature.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swit.../dp/B01NAUATSM

Great companion to the official Pro Controller.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast