TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yep, I picked up one of these, works great so far (altho I haven't used it a ton as a mobile dock):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Some real potential bangers announced during today's Direct.
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/13/18...games-trailers
    https://nintendoeverything.com/febru...-announcement/

Excited for Link's Awakening remake, finally a traditional Zelda on Switch. Bored of the Wild can get rekt.

Biggest megaton was of course, Tetris battle royale!
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 13th Feb 2019 at 20:39.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Bored of the Wild can get rekt.
    EAT A BUTT!

Biggest megaton was of course, Tetris battle royale!
    Biggest disappointment ever for me. I was all excited for a real Tetris game. No frills. No spills. Just Tetris. Yeah, there's Puyo Puyo Tetris, but that's not regular Tetris. That's obnoxious Tetris. What I want is oldschool, plain Jane, vanilla Tetris.

But oh no. Tetris 99 isn't the Tetris I wanted. It's multiplayer only. When I learned that, it totally crushed my soul.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Out traveling for a few days so I picked up a couple Switch games on the cheap, hereís wot i think.

Trials Rising Open Beta

Itís Trials. Do you like Trials? This is Trials.

The Way Remastered

Picked this up since it was on sale for 99 cents. Flashback/Another World-inspired thing. Much like Another World itís got gorgeous graphics but gameplay thatís mostly frustrating bullshit. Still, itís interesting enough to keep me playing.

Taking the Death Toll
    Friend of mine is coming to visit later this week. I got her a gift.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Trials Rising Open Beta

It’s Trials. Do you like Trials? This is Trials.
    It's Trial, though slightly janky.

I played the open beta both on the PC and Switch, and...yeah, I'm hard pressed to decide to which to get. Originally, I had every intention of getting it on the Switch, but after spending a few hours with it, I'm finding pretty lacking compared to the other versions. I wasn't expecting it to be a 1:1 perfect port, but I still figured it'd end up better than it did, considering there have plenty of more graphically demanding games ported across that have looked and ran considerably better on the machine.

Whatever the reason, either too weak hardware, or sloppy porting, it's still pretty iffy, and it's made me reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Friend of mine is coming to visit later this week. I got her a gift.
    Play it and beat it, damnit!

Taking the Death Toll
    I own it on PC and I beat that. Plus 2 and 3. And also Demon's.

But not Bloodborne because that game hates me.

Southquarter.com/fms
    There's a "Lite" version of the Switch out in September. Can't connect to a TV, non-removable controllers, smaller screen, etc., but also lighter and $100 cheaper.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/tech/...rnd/index.html

its basically the 2ds of the switch, seeing as Pokemon(which I highly suspect the lite version was specifically made for) is coming out just after, they should sell bucketloads.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm! Honestly I have mostly been using my Switch in handheld mode, so maybe not a terrible idea.

Moderator and Priest
    I like it. The only problem is when you run into the gyro puzzles in Breath of the Wild, you're kinda fucked.

It has a built-in gyro. Would that be sufficient?

Moderator and Priest
    The gyro puzzles sometimes require you to spin the controller 360 degrees to solve. Unless the Lite has a Bluetooth radio that'll allow you to pair a set of classic Joycons or a Pro Controller to the system, you won't be able to solve those puzzles without a ton of guesswork, and a lot of luck.

Maybe Nintendo will release a patch that'll allow you to use the analog controllers for those particular puzzles if you're using a Lite. I doubt they'll want their brand new console to be incompatible with their best selling flagship title (and it's upcoming sequel, which will probably have similar puzzles), so they'll probably end up doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    There's a "Lite" version of the Switch out in September. Can't connect to a TV, non-removable controllers, smaller screen, etc., but also lighter and $100 cheaper.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/tech/...rnd/index.html
    Probably good for people who are under price pressure and just want to be able to play some of the big titles for it.

Otherwise I'm not sold. The base switch is still a damn good system that I'm sad I don't own yet.

Southquarter.com/fms
    More details...

It has a D-pad instead of four buttons on the left.
    No rumble.
    No removable joycons but you can connect them separately.
    Better battery life (20-30%).
    Comes in gray/yellow/turquoise.
    No kickstand.
    Doesn't work with Labo (!)
    You can transfer your games between 2 Switch devices.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I have now completed all of Picross S3's puzzles using NO HINTS and demand the recognition I deserve!

Also I dunno what I'm supposed to play on the toilet now.

I bought a Nintendo Switch last Wednesday. It cost so much ($475 AUD) that I couldn't afford to get any games for it. Did get some free ones off the online Nintendo store to test out.

Pros:
    * Graphics - The graphics look great in 2D and 3D
    * Sound - Sound is excellent
    * Ability to use it on a TV as a proper console and as a hand held
    * Huge library of excellent games already

Neutral:
    * Joy-con Drift - As I only just bought the thing, this hasn't happened to me yet. And I sure hope it doesn't. Nintendo's lack of real response on this issue is concerning.

Cons:
    * No manual - What the actual fuck. How can you not have a manual for a $475 system. That's completely unacceptable. I had to go online to figure out what half the stuff was for, and how to use it. Very bad form.
    * No internet browser - The last hand held I bought, which was a Sony PSP back in 2004 came with one right off the bat. Why the hell would you not include an internet browser in a modern system? That's just stupid.
    * No carry case - Again, my PSP came with one right off. Why force people to spend even more money.
    * No head phones supplied with it - PSP, and Gameboy came with these supplied. They are so cheap, that it's so stingy of them to have not supplied one with it.
    * Paid online requirement for anything online related for games - This should be free. That said it's only $30 a year, but paid DLC for a console is bad. Both of my last console related purchases (PSP and PS3) came with all of this for free.

Regarding the joycon drift, I have had a switch for almost 2 years and have never had a problem, but keep in mind most of my usage is in docked mode.
    Last edited by PigLick; 11th Oct 2019 at 12:40.

Moderator and Priest
    In the US at least, Nintendo has offered to repair any drifting joycon free of charge, regardless of warranty. It wouldn't surprise me if they offered the same in Australia.

Though I've had my Switch for almost exactly two years now, and despite playing it handheld nearly exclusively, I haven't noticed any drifting issues yet.

My left joycon drifts; it seems to kind of come and go. I don't understand why they can just increase the deadzone a tiny bit. I doubt I would notice that, but the drift is really annoying when it happens. It doesn't help that new joycons cost $90, which, considering how flimsy they are, feels like a big ripoff.

The solution appears to be getting a pro controller. If you were unlucky enough to get a Switch Lite and got the drift, then your completely screwed as the only solution is either getting your entire system repaired, or buying a new one. It was one of the main reasons I bought a standard switch over the lite.

Moderator and Priest
    I don't think are any reports of the Lites suffering from drifting yet. There are only concerns that it could, since it uses a similar setup to the Joycons.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/09/on...-drift-issues/

Here ya go. Some Lite's have come with it from the get go.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, shit. That sucks.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The solution appears to be getting a pro controller. If you were unlucky enough to get a Switch Lite and got the drift, then your completely screwed as the only solution is either getting your entire system repaired, or buying a new one. It was one of the main reasons I bought a standard switch over the lite.
    That's unfortunately not really a solution for those of us who like to use their Switch on the go.
    Mine started drifting shortly after I started using it primarily while commuting, which was unfortunately more than a year after I bought it.
    I did give Nintendo UK a ring to see what my options were, and they were very dismissive, even going so far as to say that the story that had been run by Polygon highlighting the drift and noting that Nintendo US were offering to fix them for free, was a lie.
    I then went to buy some replacements, only to discover as others have noted above that the replacments cost £69. That's more than I paid for my Pro controller.
    So instead I bought a case, which came with some silicon joycon covers, and weirdly, they seem to have improved the situation a bit.
    Still, poor show Nintendo.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast