TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Ghost rules discussion

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    @Vae: Supreme rule #4 says "All AI and devices must remain in their normal state and not react to anything you do or initiate in the game." That goes beyond the same rule also saying first alerts aren't allowed. To me that means if AI give any other indication besides normal first alerts that means they know you've been there, it's a bust. I don't think it's a Ghost bust however.
    According to that interpretation from the statement, "All AI and devices must remain in their normal state and not react to anything you do or initiate in the game.", whenever the player triggers a script, which temporarily removes the AI from their "normal state", then the player busts Supreme.

I would say this is an incorrect interpretation, due to perceiving that statement as an absolute, rather than it being qualified and applied within the context of the rule itself:

4. No Alerts of any kind from any AI or Device: No first alerts, no comments at all from AI. A single chirp from a Watcher, “Musta Been Rats…”, zombies groaning, etc are a bust. All AI and devices must remain in their normal state and not react to anything you do or initiate in the game. AI walking around and muttering to themselves or having a conversation with another AI are fine.
    Notice the heading and context of the rule is alerts. So the statement, "All AI and devices must remain in their normal state and not react to anything you do or initiate in the game.", is not an absolute statement, and is in reference to the player being detected or initiating something which causes the AI to change state from (Level 0) "normal state", to the (Level 1) alert state.

This would mean that if the player triggers a script, and it causes the AI to take an action, make a remark, or enter into a conversation with another AI, as long as that AI or AI's stay at the (Level 0) non-alerted state, a Supreme bust has not occurred.
    Last edited by Vae; 21st Jan 2021 at 17:25.

I was not interpreting the rule in an absolute sense at all. I would never say the rule means that regular conversations triggered within the game, even if it starts only because Garrett crosses an invisible line, to be a bust. That would be in an absolute sense. I was quoting that statement from the rules because it specifies situations that goes beyond normal comments that indicate AIs' reactions to something you do, something beyond simply being seen or heard, but still triggering some kind of alert. I took loot, that initiated a response (scripted or not) from the enemy. The result of that script is for him to say "someone must have stolen that" is to me an alert of some kind.

The part in bold that you reference "No Alerts of any kind from any AI or Device" doesn't refer to the level 0 or 1 states that it seems to me you on the other hand are taking as an absolute. It is instead talking about "alerts of any kind" as the heading, so that is the context, not the state levels you mention. Then it goes on to list "first alerts" as an example of what that could be, but then it also lists other examples of what such alerts could be. So to me, "All AI and devices must remain in their normal state and not react to anything you do or initiate in the game" goes beyond a normal first alert state to include other scenarios that could also cause alerts.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011