TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ghost rules discussion

That one is tricky indeed. The rule disallows any indication of AI alerting. Even though it sounds ridiculous, if there is no indication, the player should be good according to the rule. This to me seems like a more extreme case of mute guards who never give first alerts and whose behavior is only possible to judge by their motions. The fact that they never give verbal cues doesn't mean they don't enter first alert state, but since there is no indication, there is no way to measure that.

I have another one. Some areas make Supreme inapplicable due to how loud they are. Think a waterfall or a noisy generator room. Would it be appropriate to lower ambient volume around such areas? And if not, what ambient level is appropriate for this mode? I personally like to play with ambient volume almost maxed out, and I don't change it for my Supreme runs.

1. I wanted to ask about Chemical rule. I play last mission of Sturmdrang Peak campaign. I get item called Weed of Barathias. It replenish my breath while underwater just like breath potion. It's a plant and chemical rule mentions only potions. I can use it infinite number of times, because it isn't spend. It stays in my inventory. So my question is: Is using it will classify my ghost run as chemical or not?

2. Also in the same mission there are purple barriers that I can destroy with sword. They just vanish after single slash. Behind them is only loot and pages for optional objective. Is destroying these barriers a damage property?

1. I'd say no since it's a unique quest item. Besides, as you said it's not even a potion but rather a root that Garrett just chews on.

2. Yes. Destroying the barriers obviously means inflicting damage on them.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    1. I'd say no since it's a unique quest item. Besides, as you said it's not even a potion but rather a root that Garrett just chews on.
    But it has the effects of assisstance?

I think of the rules as being a codification of some ideas, and it is what crosses those ideas that matters. Not the literal letter of the rules.

So the question I would ask is, IF X was around at the time, would the rule-authors have proscribed it?

Well the whole point of forbidding potions was to forbid the artificial enhancement of player physical abilities. It is not that they were contemptuous of potions in particular, and it was more the colour of the potion bottles that they objected to (well I am assuming, anyway).

So after all that waffling, I would treat the root as I would treat a breath potion. ie it would have come under the same rule, had they been a thing back then. And so not for Ghosts today.

Just curious about something. I once saw a ghost run of T2 M1, where the player claimed Supreme despite the fact that they left the key that they had pickpocketed near the door of the room and not on the guard within the room's patrol path.

Their justification was that if they went back up the dumb waiter and dropped the key it would alert the patroling guard. And there is no way to sneak up on him via the room's actual door.

I think that is OK since the point of dropping the key on the patrol path is to create less suspicion as it is plausible that the key could have fallen on it's own while the guard was walking. And since this room only has one door, the key could have dropped on his way in.

But then that sets up the precedent of being able to drop the key anywhere where it is logical a guard must have walked, even if away from their current standing spot or patrol path, and people could then skip difficult key-returns.

Wondering what other's think?

I believe it's excusable to drop key anywhere in the room. In other words you can leave key at the very entrance. But if you are pedant, then you will go after key carried by archer from garden near starting point. In Newdark it's easy - just mantle over gate. In Olddark it's more complicated. You need to bring crates to jump over metal fence, but you can't just put them under fence or gate. It would violate supreme rule #7 - don't put crates, which can be seen by enemies. So you need to put crates in shadow and from there jump over fence. Then pickpocket archer and also return all crates. Loot 3rd floor, block lock garden gate, return key and close gate. That's a lot of work if you want to be really perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    So after all that waffling, I would treat the root as I would treat a breath potion. ie it would have come under the same rule, had they been a thing back then. And so not for Ghosts today.
    I understand your point, but I decided to go with marbleman interpretation of the rule. With custom item giving potions effects it's really tricky. For example there is invisibility cape in Bathory Campaign. It works just like invisibility potion and it doesn't vanish from inventory, but I can't imagine Garrett chewing cape whenever he wants to use it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456