TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Looking for the german demo version of Life of the Party

Looking for the german demo version of Life of the Party

My first experience with the Thief series was from playing a german demo of Thief 2, which included Life of the Party. I would like to replay it but with NewDark, german voices and enhanced textures if possible. Does anyone know where I can find it and how to make it modern?

You can get it here:
    https://thief.worldofplayers.de/dlfile--id-8.html

About making int NewDark, donīt have any idea yet. Wouldnīt mind having it that way. Any suggestions are welcome.

I found this image on google, looks like the textures are HD, so it would seem that somebody managed to apply all the new fixes to this demo version. I am not sure.

Alright, so I've found the version from the screenshot above, not sure if it's with NewDark, seems like it. However, upon introspection I'd like to make it feel like the old demo from my childhood, nostalgia and all. If I want to play a "more modern" Thief 2, I can just play the full version.

I've managed to install and run the old, original demo version, however controls are bad and it crashes 5 minutes in if not sooner.

Is there a way to combine good controls, no crashes and the old look? The german demo is an older version (menu interface is from Thief 1, the sky is different and the level is darker). But it's exactly how I remember it, so I would like to replay it that way. It's also important that the voices are german specifically, like I said, I want to replay it as if I were 8 but on a modern system. Is it possible?
    Last edited by zomfg1234; 27th Mar 2021 at 11:43.

Zombified
    very sure that if you provide the original demo, I can NewDarkify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    is that one it?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    very sure that if you provide the original demo, I can NewDarkify it.

is that one it?
    Yes. Also, if you can't download it for some reason, I found that using Firefox for this one was useful, not sure why it doesn't work on Chrome, or in this case for me. I also recommend running the old version at least once for you to see how to it runs and feels like, but you probably want to do that yourself.

Had no issues Dling it with Firefox. This page is reliable despite being old.

And yes, that is exactly what they shipped back then on CDs from game mags.
    A NewDark version would be cool.

Zombified
    ok, lets try to be quick and dirty, which almost never works, but hey, worth a shot - get the NewDarked EN version of the demo, extract, go resfix, and kill (or rename) strings. then get the DE demo, open with 7zip, grab all 12 crf files and stick them into the res folder (overwrite). edit DARKINST.CFG, and change english to german (save and exit). note that the objectives screen will be in english, this is "correct", meaning the source string file has not been properly translated (see \res\intrface.crf\Miss11\german\GOALS.STR).

run the exe (feel free to update it to the latest version of NewDark), see whether this is enough for you. all readme.txt notes still apply (can drop in EP2 or NecroAge, rename hires to get the original looks yadda yadda).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 10th Apr 2021 at 05:19.

ok, lets try to be quick and dirty, which almost never works, but hey, worth a shot - get the NewDarked EN version of the demo, extract, go resfix, and kill (or rename) strings. then get the DE demo, open with 7zip, grab all 12 crf files and stick them into the res folder (overwrite). edit DARKINST.CFG, and change english to german (save and exit). note that the objectives screen will be in english, this is "correct", meaning the source string file has not been properly translated (see \res\intrface.crf\Miss11\german\GOALS.STR).

run the exe (feel free to update it to the latest version of NewDark), see whether this is enough for you. all readme.txt notes still apply (can drop in EP2 or NecroAge, rename hires to get the original looks yadda yadda).
    It works and I have managed to finish the whole mission without any issues, thank you!
    Last edited by zomfg1234; 10th Apr 2021 at 14:51.

Zombified
    sure - maybe I'll incorporate the DE resources into the existing demo then. does anyone know whether a french version of the demo exists?

Man, I might have to play this too for the nostalgia, once I'm done with my current TMA playthrough. This demo was my first exposure to the series, I watched a friend play through it.

I played the demo version and the retail version back-to-back, so it's fresh in my mind and I can compare them pretty easily.

I'd say the demo version is better for me, it is less finished, has less content and worse loot distribution but it looks like a TDP level, which I guess explains entirely as to why I prefer that version. Nowadays I find Thief 2 to be much less enjoyable, the whole robot thing, everything looking too clean, too modern, it's not what I like about Thief. I can assume that discussion has been brought up many times already. Also it felt better not knowing the character of Karras at that point (in the demo), not saying the character itself was bad, just that perhaps revealing him later could have been more intriguing. I wonder if the sentiment against Thief 2 is bigger than I think.

ZylonBane
    Is it unstripped? Might be interesting to throw boosted lightmap resolution at it.

Zombified
    nope, it's stripped. would love to have an unstripped version of it, maybe I'll pop a request to systemshock.org Engineering, there are a few modders around who could do the manual reconstruction.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 30th Mar 2021 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by zomfg1234 View Post
    I'd say the demo version is better for me, it is less finished, has less content and worse loot distribution but it looks like a TDP level, which I guess explains entirely as to why I prefer that version.
    Itīs all a matter of taste, but to some degree the demo is surely better.
    I also like the intro movie much more. Garrett sounds more confident here. Not this whiny dialogue with Victoria "you send me on a suicide mission"? Pffft.

ZylonBane
    nope, it's stripped. would love to have an unstripped version of it, maybe I'll pop a request to systemshock.org Engineering, there are a few modders around who could do the manual reconstruction.
    That would be insane. Thief II levels are massive compared to SS2 levels.

Zombified
    no shortage of "challenge accepted" people around systemshock.org.