TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Xmas Sales

Still Subjective

Steam Xmas Sales

And again, brothers.

I've not picked anything up because I'm just not sure of anything anymore. I'm tempted to get Dishonored 2 but beyond that...?

Some of my wishlist things have come up with discounts - The Long Dark, Firewatch, Steep and Dishonored 2.

Has anyone played Steep? It's been so long since I played anything other than CoH2 MP I'm totally out of the loop.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Maybe start with this thread.

I'm looking at Undertale, Edith Finch, Rain World, and Infra, but I'm hoping there will be a Steam gift card in my stocking in a few days first.

This is probably the first time where we haven't had a Christmas Steam Sale thread prior to launch, let alone a day later. I guess it's a sign of sale fatigue, growing backlogs and regular discounts that make these large sales somewhat redundant.

As I totally avoided the previous sale, I've finally picked up Prey and TWD 3 so far. That being said, I probably won't get much more than that.

I picked up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, but I grabbed it on Humble Bundle instead of directly through Steam.
    Thinking that's probably the better way to pick up indie games - the devs get a larger cut, some goes to charity, and I get a Steam key anyway.

Yeah, I've also shifted some of my Steam purchases to Humble, especially through those widgets and gamepages that give developers the biggest cut -- 95% vs Humble Store's 75%.

How do you find those widgets?

Developer homepages, mostly.

I gave into temptation and grabbed Dishonored 2 - Death of the Outsider. It's 50% off at present.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    This is probably the first time where we haven't had a Christmas Steam Sale thread prior to launch, let alone a day later. I guess it's a sign of sale fatigue
    Defenitely. I was gonna make a thread when I noticed the sale was on, I even had a great thread title typed out ("Have yourself a merry little STEAM SALE!") but then I figured, naah, we all already have all the games we need.

I got a couple of artsy games: Panoramical, a musical landscape exploration thing; Elegy For A Dead World, where you... uhm... write an elegy for a dead world, while exploring it -- it's basically a set of writing exercises with player-controlled moving imagery; MirrorMoon EP, a minimalistic, highly stylized No Man's Sky without any traditionally recognizable wildlife (and without the hype); and The Search, a pure 2D point and click, where you paint your way past obstacles in search of your innermost, creative core, while getting some Jung narrated to you (the narrator, although female, reminds of the one in The Old City with the same sort of almost aloof tone and introspective journey, but with a much more direct writing style); but also a couple of less artsy games: Phoning Home, a bit of a trifle, with great exploration value, where you mostly collect various resources for crafting, while listening to the banter of machines; Quern, a modern day Myst-like; Disoriented, an Escher puzzle game, in which you "simply have to walk to the door"; Road To Gehenna, the "DLC" for The Talos Principle; and finally Leaving Lyndow, where you supposedly just walk around and talk to people, bidding them farewell, all while exploring a beautiful island.

All were more than 50 percent off and have been on my wishlist for a while.

I might also get Tartarus, where you play as a chef on a space ship, which you end up having to save, but I haven't decided yet. After that we're moving into less than fifty percent territory, where I don't go for these binge-buys.
    Last edited by qolelis; 23rd Dec 2017 at 06:02. Reason: typo

I got Firewatch, Tacoma and Finding Paradise. Finding Paradise was only 10% off, but it's only €10 anyway and I really liked To The Moon, its predecessor. In the GOG sale I bought The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and got Oxenfree for free.

These games are mostly story-driven experiences which are pretty light on complex gameplay, and they're perfect to play in between meatier, longer games. I didn't buy any regular games like FPSes and such, because I have a way too large backlog of those already.

Edit: wait, I forgot, in a recent Humble Store sale I bought SOMA.
    Last edited by Harvester; 23rd Dec 2017 at 13:24.

Got Prey so far, which was my most major must pick.
    Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is close, but I also feel like I probably should finish Dishonored 2 to justify it.
    I suppose it's no coincidence my top picks are Arkane games.

Definitely play Dishonored 2 prior to death of the outsider.

I'm thinking about Steep.

Let me know if Prey is worth it. Dishonored 2 will have to wait because my laptop struggles with it and I'm going to wait a few months to replace it until my new job has been able to repair the damage done by moving to freaking NYC.

Gonna past on the rest this time. Most of my time these days goes into working or sidehustling and most of my limited non-productive time gets spent one either hobby work or play for miniatures games.

May change if I don't switch jobs though. This current one is a 40 hours/week job and I have absolutely no idea what to do with all the time.

In my last call center job back in 2015 I sneaked dosbox onto my work PC. Mostly played Terror From The Deep (xcom 2) once it was after 6pm. HTML versions of gamebooks in the earlier hours, which work well since they look like your just browsing the net. Kept me sane during the 8 months I was there.

Got a $100 steam voucher which when converted over to Steam US dollars (since AUS currency has yet to be available) only got me $78. Picked up the following games:

* Cuphead (15% off)
    * Dead Cells (25% off)
    * Friday The 13th (50% off)
    * Space Hulk - Deathwing (50% off)
    * Steamworld Dig 2 (35% off).

Overall quite happy with my purchases.

GOG sale is still on until tomorrow. Completed my Infinity Engine set and also picked up Fallout 1 and 2 for the combined price of a pint. Maybe one day.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Got a few Steam gift cards in my stocking, and threw in a couple of bucks for myself too. This oughta keep me busy for a while. Gotted:

Hellblade
    West of Loathing
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Undertale
    Night in the Woods
    Rain World
    Cuphead
    Infra

Merry Xmas to all the GenGamers - it's a shame we didn't do a Secret Santa this year, maybe in 2018.

Ok, finally tally plus gifts and browsing: Prey, Cuphead, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Deus Ex: MD, Mirrormoon, Out There Somewhere, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Titan Souls.

Moderator and Priest
    I've bought...

Rain World
    Okami HD
    The Evil Within 2

Gonna limit it to that this year. Prey and the Dishonored 2 expansions would be nice, but I wanna hold off on those for now.

Lord Gabe is laughing manically at your steam pile of shames while swimming in dollar bills like Scrooge McDuck.

Good luck to him. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, he's earned it all, the bastard.

I care a lot more about rewarding studios I like for their games, like Arkane, than bemoaning the admin it takes to do that most conveniently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast