TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 381314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 426 to 450 of 642

Thread: The Gun Thread About Guns And Gun Related Gunnery

  1. #426
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Anytime before we thought we had to play with guns. I think that happened in the late eighties or early nineties. It wasn't like it is now. And the shit posts are not mine. That would be the gun worshipers. Only gangsters owned machine guns, men had weapons from war but didn't play with them, only idiots played with guns and the rest were responsible hunters who had bolt action or low round mags. You don't remember apparently BUT IT WAS DIFFERENT THEN. It was. Say what you will but you apparently are too young or don't recall. Naturally we have always had the lunatic fringe but now it is the sane who are the fringe.

  2. #427
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: LosAngeles: Between Amusements
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post

    SOME people have money to burn and like to have fun.
    All that, and Bambi still escaped!


  3. #428
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    They bagged his mom, so it wasn't a total wash.

  4. #429
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Land of the crazy
    Back when I lived in Western NY, I used to kill Bambi's mom almost every year. When talking to non-hunting friends, I used to call it harvesting, because there were so damned many of them they were practically a menace, constantly becoming hood ornaments and eating people's flowers and gardens, and beating up golf greens and so on. That seemed to help justify hunting to people who couldn't imagine killing an animal. For me, I mostly just loved eating them. Venison is good tasting meat, and relatively healthy too. It's rare to find in restaurants, because deer farming is uncommon here.

    Deer farming seems to be somewhat more common the UK. I used to see a fair bit of venison on the menu during the periods I was living or traveling there. One of my favorite pubs, the Brace of Pheasants in Dorset, always had it on the menu. But nothing can beat New Zealand for quality farmed venison.

  5. #430
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Land of the crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Anytime before we thought we had to play with guns. I think that happened in the late eighties or early nineties. It wasn't like it is now. And the shit posts are not mine. That would be the gun worshipers. Only gangsters owned machine guns, men had weapons from war but didn't play with them, only idiots played with guns and the rest were responsible hunters who had bolt action or low round mags. You don't remember apparently BUT IT WAS DIFFERENT THEN. It was. Say what you will but you apparently are too young or don't recall. Naturally we have always had the lunatic fringe but now it is the sane who are the fringe.
    I think it depends on your definition of playing with guns. If you're talking about plinking, shooting skeet or trap, target shooting for fun or a bit of friendly competition, trying out different guns out of curiosity or to see how they compare, honing your shooting skills, shooting stuff to watch it bust up, etc. then I think you're wrong. People have always owned and shot guns for recreational reasons and not just as tools. If you're talking about embracing and celebrating gun culture because 'murica, freedom, fuck yeah!, then I do think that's a more recent thing.

  6. #431
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Washington DC
    Every WW2-era machine gun currently in the hands of American collectors and recreational shooters is there because some GI, not a 'gangster', smuggled it back and registered it during one of the NFA amnesties. All the C&R-eligible semi-automatic rifles on the market exist because some private citizen wanted a weapon with greater fire rate than a bolt-action hunting rifle, and judging by the number still on the market they weren't some fringe minority. The US market is chock-full of military surplus imported from the 50s through the 80s, stuff that was popular until ultimately Reagan heavily restricted it. High-caliber handguns, things with no practical purpose that we call 'range toys', date well back into this supposed era of somber responsibility. And films have been driving the purchase of useless firearms for entertainment ever since the Western boom in the 50s and 60s led the entire firearms market to churn out replicas of guns showing up in John Wayne films.

    This idea that American gun culture was only about responsible hunting is clearly false, and 'men had weapons from war but didn't play with them' is vacuous fluff. Americans have always owned purely recreational firearms and shot them purely for fun. Those elements of gun culture have always been around; if they seem more prominent now it's more likely due to the diminishing of hunting in popularity, the rise of media that spotlights the most extreme elements, and the vocal backlash to an increasingly politicized issue of gun ownership.
    Last edited by catbarf; 29th Mar 2018 at 11:25.

  7. #432
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Before the Reagon era the AR 15, Ak47, and SKS and large mags were very uncommon. When folks did plink at cans or targets it was to hone skills. Don't give that vacuous bullshit. I was there. The number of machine guns per capita was almost nil. Very few were "smuggled home". Even those who won the silver star didn't carry them home. Mostly it was the idiots. Those who had to use them often became sick of what they could do. They had seen it up close.

  8. #433
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Before the Reagon era the AR 15, Ak47, and SKS and large mags were very uncommon. When folks did plink at cans or targets it was to hone skills. Don't give that vacuous bullshit. I was there. The number of machine guns per capita was almost nil. Very few were "smuggled home". Even those who won the silver star didn't carry them home. Mostly it was the idiots. Those who had to use them often became sick of what they could do. They had seen it up close.
    The number of machine guns per capita is almost nil now. It's surely less now than back in the 1970's, because the number of people has grown and the number of machine guns has shrunk.

    Here's a snapshot of the "good ol' days of responsible gun ownership" when men were men and didn't like noisy toys. Included is a 1958 ad for a Nazi 20mm semi-automatic anti-tank gun that "hurls 1/3 lb armor piercing shells up to 4 miles", and will "cleanly penetrate 2 inches of the finest steel plate armor"--only $189.50, send checks to Los Angeles, CA. Or a 1964 ad for for a Colt AR-15 sporter, only $189.50. Or a 1960 ad for a new M1 Carbine--$79.95, spare 30 rd magazines only $2.95 each. Your limited experience in the 1970's, in your small corner of the country, doesn't make you an historian or give you more credibility on the subject of gun rights, gun culture, gun history, or gun use.
    Last edited by Draxil; 29th Mar 2018 at 18:07.

  9. #434
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    There were always a few nuts. Today the percentage has grown enormously. Gun nuts playing with guns like toys is much more prevalent today. That's just a fact. Exceptions are not the rule. Those guns I listed and the huge mags were just about as prevalent as the machine guns then which is a very very low number. Now all the little boys have them.

    And your link? Thanks for that. There are no huge mags in it. THAT is what I've been saying. Those are only good for playing with or shooting up a school. Thanks for that too. That falls dead on the shoulders of the ones who have made them popular today.
    Last edited by Tocky; 29th Mar 2018 at 21:01. Reason: Decided to be nicer.

  10. #435
    BANNED
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus
    https://www.theroot.com/alleged-park...-fa-1824179513


    Seriously hope the police are investigating these people. We have serious issues when POS mofos like him are idiolized

  11. #436
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    And your link? Thanks for that. There are no huge mags in it. THAT is what I've been saying.
    Anything over ten rounds, right? So in that link, the two AR-15s with 20rd magazines, the FNC with a 30rd magazine, the M1 Carbine with a 15rd magazine, or the 'spare 30 rd magazines only $2.95 each' he specifically mentioned in his post?

    Sure, shooting has always been about respectfully honing skills. Never about shooting just for fun, or owning guns you've seen in movies, or living out masculine fantasies, or collecting weapons of war (definitely not high-power semiautomatic rifles, and certainly not actual submachine guns), or buying ridiculous stuff because you can, or owning the weapon you were issued in the military. Just a 'few nuts', who apparently accounted for so many sales that millions upon millions of the things are still in circulation, and just so happened to dramatically increase in number right as politics put their hobby in the spotlight.

  12. #437
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Gun nuts playing with guns like toys is much more prevalent today.
    This, at least, I can agree with you on. Back in the day, you had so many people who had guns, liked guns, and shot guns. They were hunters. They were ex-military. They were collectors. They were hobbyists. Guns were about as prevalent back then as they are today. Maybe slightly moreso. Though even with all these various people owning and using their various weapons, they didn't have anything analogous to what we now call Gun Culture.

    Like everything these days, it's a political movement. Like most political movements these days, it's got probably a few too many reactionary dipsticks among its ranks for comfort.

    If there's any reason why you believe guns weren't quite as widespread back in the day as they are today, it's probably because you didn't have quite so many people waving them in your face, screaming YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

  13. #438
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Washington DC
    I think it goes without question that there are fewer hunters and casual gun owners as a proportion of the general population, which makes the diehards a greater proportion of gun owners by default.

  14. #439
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    The page was a lot longer than I thought it was. I only thought I had scrolled down all the way. I see the gun industry has been grooming the nuts for longer than I figured. Likely those adds were in things like Soldier of Fortune because they sure as hell were not in the Sears catalog. Those folks were not the normal average Joe. As I said, there has always been the fringe.

    While it's true there are less hunters it's also true there are more "collectors". That's the nice way to put it I guess. You know, those folks who run out and buy more at any sign of concern from those more sane. Ah well, at least they have their freedom.



    Oh and no, there were as many hunting guns if not moreso but less of the sort you got out of the back of Soldier of Fortune. I still maintain there were less Soldier of Fortune types.
    Last edited by Tocky; 30th Mar 2018 at 00:07.

  15. #440
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Oh and no, there were as many hunting guns if not moreso but less of the sort you got out of the back of Soldier of Fortune. I still maintain there were less Soldier of Fortune types.
    Maybe. Though you could call even that into question, since the availability of the internet allows groups that were once considered fringe to amplify their platform, and make it public in ways that were previously impossible to do.

    We don't know how these people reacted to the Brady Bill, and the federal assault rifle ban back in the early 90's, but I can tell you exactly how they're acting now.

  16. #441
    Member
    Registered: May 2004


    PS. Anyone who feels the urge to comment about suppressors, calm down, it's a joke.
    Last edited by Starker; 30th Mar 2018 at 06:24.

  17. #442
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: I think I've been here


    I'm contributing.

  18. #443
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    lol Starker - that was funny!

    I'm going to have a gun in about a month.

  19. #444
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Nickie's got a gun
    her dog day's just begun
    now everybody is on the run

  20. #445
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43568208

    For Parkland students, high profiles bring wave of personal attacks

    The attacks on survivors of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida began almost immediately. Within hours, they had been accused of being "crisis actors" - an old conspiracy theory, recycled from previous school shootings, that claims survivors are actors parachuted in to promote gun control.

    In the weeks since the 14 February shooting, a group of Parkland survivors has really taken on the mantle of advocating stricter gun control, culminating in a massive march in Washington DC on Saturday and hundreds of others across the country. Their efforts have brought them a huge new public profile, and with it a wave of personal attacks.

    David Hogg, 17, and Emma Gonzalez, 18, are two of the most prominent among the young activists. In the week after the attack, Hogg was forced to deny that he had been coached by his father, a former FBI agent, on what to say. This week, the right-wing blog Breitbart published a round-up of tweets falsely suggesting Mr Hogg performed a Nazi salute at the march in Washington. The prominent right wing personality Alex Jones took footage of Mr Hogg speaking at the march and dubbed it over with a speech by Hitler.

    Ms González was subjected to a viral video, doctored to show her tearing up the US constitution. In fact, she was tearing up a gun target. She has also been attacked by a Republican congressman for wearing a Cuban flag patch - her father is Cuban - and by a Republican state house candidate for her appearance - a "skinhead lesbian".
    And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

  21. #446
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2003
    Location: Location, Location
    For people that let the spit fly about hating Hillary, a lot of Republicans sure do work hard to be worthy of the "deplorable" label she put on 'em. Guess she hit the mark there.

  22. #447
    BANNED
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus

    i wanted to get in touch with my feminine side by buying a pos plastic gun in 9mm, if I wanted to come out of the closet and declare my full gayness then I would have bought a glock....... anyways the 10 day waiting period sucks and this one getting shipped at the end of the month sucks even more.

  23. #448
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    i wanted to get in touch with my feminine side by buying a pos plastic gun in 9mm, if I wanted to come out of the closet and declare my full gayness then I would have bought a glock.......
    Because nothing says 'my firearm is not a proxy for my masculinity' like thinking a plastic gun will imply you're gay.

  24. #449
    BANNED
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus
    works for me.............................

  25. #450
    BANNED
    Registered: Nov 2016
    Location: Trollinus Maximus
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...tandhp&ffid=gz
    London murder rate overtakes New York for first time ever after spate of fatal stabbings and shootings
    how can there be shootings in London? will liberals EVER admit gun control only works for the law abiding leaving everyone else at the mercy of criminals?

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 381314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •