TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101520252627282930
Results 726 to 745 of 745

Thread: The Gun Thread About Guns And Gun Related Gunnery

  1. #726
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    They DO help. They helped ME. I have Obamacare. Do you think Republicans would ever give a damn about me having insurance? Fuck no. And sure, pick the worst example city to showcase, one that has been crime ridden since the twenties and not just when Democrats are in control.

  2. #727
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Progressives are dishonest, Draxil? Who was it that put an end to the government collection of statistics on guns? Was that progressives? No. That was conservatives. Now why would they do that? Hmmmmm. And oh my ten points higher in a concentration of people vs. being spread out! Wow. And sure progressives are against enforcing gun laws! Sure they are! Why, Fox news says so so it must be true! Please. The rest of what you said was just distraction.
    I call it dishonesty when you cherry pick one graph from a 20 year old study that used one year of data, more than a quarter of a century old, from one state, collected by an internal medicine physician, without providing links or context and pretend that it makes some kind of grand and relevant point. Yes. I also think it's impossible to find common ground with someone who uses that sort of tactic.

    I'm quite happy with the state of gun ownership in this country. I just completed my course to get a CCHL and submitted the paperwork, and expect to have the license soon. I have multiple high powered rifle and more high capacity magazines with zero paper trail, and no worries that there are going to be federal agents knocking at my door to get them anytime soon. I enjoy shooting on a regular basis, am teaching my children to safely handle firearms, and am more amused anything at the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. Progressives are on the losing side of the gun argument. For better or worse, they're here, they outnumber people in this country, and there's no feasible way of changing that. Gunpowder is part of the American DNA.

  3. #728
    All Obamacare does is outlaw cheap health insurance plans for younger, healthier people. It forces everyone to get more expensive plans that cover EVERYTHING, even things you don't want.

    Not really surprising since the bill was written by the insurance corporations. But anyway, not really relevant to the gun topic.

  4. #729
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Google bar graphs on it and not a lot pops up. You get plenty of articles but Republicans never read anything. I had to go with what I could find. Even hitting Images didn't help. But thanks for calling me dishonest. From you that is an honor. I've come to understand the way you argue.

    I fully understand the way this country was settled. I fully understand hunting. I grew up doing it. What I don't fully understand is the fear being pumped into conservatives just to sell guns. Why fall for it? Talk about gnashing of teeth. What concerns me most is when conservatives don't react to ACTUAL things they should fear like the number of mass shootings even of school kids with anything but thoughts and prayers and MORE GUNS.

  5. #730
    Someone else shoots kids, and I have to turn in my guns? Doesn't make sense. Some other guy commits rape, are you going to cut your dick off?

  6. #731
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedPhreak View Post
    All Obamacare does is outlaw cheap health insurance plans for younger, healthier people. It forces everyone to get more expensive plans that cover EVERYTHING, even things you don't want.

    Not really surprising since the bill was written by the insurance corporations. But anyway, not really relevant to the gun topic.
    Bullshit. It outlaws bullshit plans that don't help anyone. Plans that charge money for doing nothing except a miniscule amount in catastrophic cases. It instead offers real insurance that does real good. I know. I have it. I've USED it. IT WORKS. You can't tell me shit because I KNOW. Why? BECAUSE I HAVE IT.

  7. #732
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedPhreak View Post
    Someone else shoots kids, and I have to turn in my guns? Doesn't make sense. Some other guy commits rape, are you going to cut your dick off?
    NOBODY HAS SAID THAT. That is just the scare tactic by Republican scaremongers and you fell for it.

  8. #733
    Well just hypothetically, let's say guns are now 100% illegal. All law-abiding average citizens turn theirs in. So the drug gangs still have theirs, and they can keep getting more through their criminal contacts. Now what?

  9. #734
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedPhreak View Post
    Well just hypothetically, let's say guns are now 100% illegal. All law-abiding average citizens turn theirs in. So the drug gangs still have theirs, and they can keep getting more through their criminal contacts. Now what?
    Now you're Japan with practically 0 gun deaths.

    But that's beside the point, because people on the gun control side are not aiming to become Japan. From what I gather, US gun control advocates would be more than happy to become Canada or Finland or the like -- plenty of guns to go around, sincere efforts made to keep the guns in hands of responsible owners.

  10. #735
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    WE both know that would never happen so it's moot but sure, if everyone turned theirs in (LOL never happen if you know rednecks) and all that were left were the drug gangs then law enforcement would have to execute warrants to take them and there would be gunplay- for awhile. Then there would be no guns except for what was coming over the border so the effort would have to be concentrated there and the coast guard. It would never be 100% but gun deaths overall would be down 95% of what they are now.

    Like I said mooooooooot. Never happen.

  11. #736
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Google bar graphs on it and not a lot pops up. You get plenty of articles but Republicans never read anything. I had to go with what I could find. Even hitting Images didn't help. But thanks for calling me dishonest. From you that is an honor. I've come to understand the way you argue.

    I fully understand the way this country was settled. I fully understand hunting. I grew up doing it. What I don't fully understand is the fear being pumped into conservatives just to sell guns. Why fall for it? Talk about gnashing of teeth. What concerns me most is when conservatives don't react to ACTUAL things they should fear like the number of mass shootings even of school kids with anything but thoughts and prayers and MORE GUNS.
    Republicans never read anything? The irony is almost overwhelming, Tocky.

    I don't think progressives get to point fingers on fear mongering. Since Columbine, 169 school children have died in school shootings. When you consider the 10s of millions that have gone through public school in the nealy 25 years since, the statistical probability of being shot in school is practically nil. I don't think that merits the knee jerk reaction of banning an entire class of firearms, of which there are in excess of 20 million in this country chambered in 5.56 NATO alone, and depriving 10s of millions of law abiding citizens of their right to peacefully exercise their 2nd amendment rights. No one may be talking about banning all guns, but progressives have an irrational fixation on the AR 15. It is less commonly used in murders than handguns, shotguns, knives, bats, or fists-- but getting rid of it would fix so much, and no one is safe when they're available for purchase. That's fear mongering.

    The gun is so much fun to shoot. It's an engineering marvel, honestly. Though I'd trade one for a SIG 550 that Swiss citizens keep at home and get to buy after finishing their military service in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Draxil; 13th Aug 2022 at 20:39.

  12. #737
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Draxil View Post
    Since Columbine, 169 school children have died in school shootings.
    In a lot of countries that number would be close to or 0. But yes, statistically mass shootings are just the very tip of the iceberg of the massive amount of gun violence, accidents and suicides in the US that only the most war-torn countries are comparable to.

  13. #738
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Location: Canuckistan GWN
    When you consider the 10s of millions that have gone through public school in the nealy 25 years since, the statistical probability of being shot in school is practically nil.
    But when you consider the hundreds of millions who attend school in countries without a gunz-fetish, then the fact that ANY CHILDREN die in their classroom, because irrational people won't even allow the tiniest bit of control over their gawwwwd-gibboon rahts!! then 169 is an astounding statistic. At least in the fucking civilized world.

    but progressives have an irrational fixation on the AR 15.
    Because it is the weapon of choice for mass murderers in the USA. Holy shit.

  14. #739
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    And there you have it. Because they are fun to shoot there is an acceptable number of children they are willing to sacrifice. A gun with no purpose but to kill and do so at high amount is fun to shoot so sorry kids. Gee that's not a very pro life stance to take is it?

    I miss the days when guns had better purposes. There were no military weapons in the Sears catalogue because men did not play with guns back then. Oh there were those who liked to play soldier but actually being one tended to cure them of it.

  15. #740
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2003
    Location: The Plateaux Of Mirror
    The "there are more shootings in cities!!!" people crack me up. It's like the "there are more cases of covid in areas with 5G towers!" people. And then everyone who pointed out there were also more cases of covid in areas with McDonald's. All you're doing is measuring population density. Yes, there's more of everything in densely populated areas, congratulations.

  16. #741
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    And there you have it. Because they are fun to shoot there is an acceptable number of children they are willing to sacrifice. A gun with no purpose but to kill and do so at high amount is fun to shoot so sorry kids. Gee that's not a very pro life stance to take is it?

    I miss the days when guns had better purposes. There were no military weapons in the Sears catalogue because men did not play with guns back then. Oh there were those who liked to play soldier but actually being one tended to cure them of it.
    The fact that there are in excess of 20 million AR-15s in this country and that a statistically insignificant number of them are used in mass shootings or any crime belies your point that their only purpose is to kill and at "high amounts". The vast majority are used for sports shooting, which has a long history in this country, and hunting. 5.56 NATO is about the minimum you can use on a deer in most areas of the country.

    Your memory of "back then" is false. Oswald shot Kennedy with an Italian military rifle mail ordered from a catalog. Sears catalogs sold M1 Carbines and M1 Garands in the 1960s as well as surplus Mausers and other military weapons. My parents have stacks of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science from the 50's and 60's that contain ads for surplus belt-fed anti-tank rifles, again obtainable with a check and an address.



    Weaponry wise, little has changed as to what's available to the American public in the past 75 years. The rifles are the same then and now--semi-automatic. The rounds are similar. We, as a society, are different. We're sicker. I don't think we're going to legislate and ban our way out of that.

  17. #742
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Nobody hunts with an AR 15. They play with one. If you want to call playing with them at a range or shooting willy nilly in the woods hunting then that is on you. A 30.06 is a much better hunting gun and can be had much cheaper. It has nowhere near the clip size which is my main problem with the AR 15. The AR, M16, SK, and AK are for playing with and feeling like Rambo. That's pretty much it.

    The gun that killed Kennedy was single shot. He wouldn't have gotten a lot with that but getting one was his intent. I don't have any disagreement with hunting guns even if they used to be military when they are bolt action or 5 round. It's clip size that most concerns me. Nobody shoots fifty times at a deer and if they do I sure as hell don't want to be in the woods with them.

    Anyway, nobody I knew was a man who played with guns. Guns had a purpose, a serious business, or they were not bought. I don't mean they did not appreciate accuracy and did not practice for that. But the men I knew would think something was off about the "I'm so manly because I have a gun" soldier of fortune types who played with them. That ad you posted was directed at that type. Unfortunately we have more of those type these days than the real men I grew up with. Once upon a time we had men who cared more about people than playing. They used guns to put food on the table to feed those people. We have degenerated from that. That is what I meant in longing for the old days.

  18. #743
    Harumph, young people wanting guns these days haf smol peepee. Not like us Real Manly Boomers! Grrr woof woof!

  19. #744
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    And that more than anything shows you have no conception of what I'm talking about. It's saddening that you don't.

  20. #745
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Point Nemo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Nobody hunts with an AR 15. They play with one. If you want to call playing with them at a range or shooting willy nilly in the woods hunting then that is on you. A 30.06 is a much better hunting gun and can be had much cheaper. It has nowhere near the clip size which is my main problem with the AR 15. The AR, M16, SK, and AK are for playing with and feeling like Rambo. That's pretty much it.

    The gun that killed Kennedy was single shot. He wouldn't have gotten a lot with that but getting one was his intent. I don't have any disagreement with hunting guns even if they used to be military when they are bolt action or 5 round. It's clip size that most concerns me. Nobody shoots fifty times at a deer and if they do I sure as hell don't want to be in the woods with them.

    Anyway, nobody I knew was a man who played with guns. Guns had a purpose, a serious business, or they were not bought. I don't mean they did not appreciate accuracy and did not practice for that. But the men I knew would think something was off about the "I'm so manly because I have a gun" soldier of fortune types who played with them. That ad you posted was directed at that type. Unfortunately we have more of those type these days than the real men I grew up with. Once upon a time we had men who cared more about people than playing. They used guns to put food on the table to feed those people. We have degenerated from that. That is what I meant in longing for the old days.
    I have no problem at all with any AR-15 style defense rifle or how many rounds a clip can hold. What I am bothered by is what has caused the rise in popularity of the AR-15 style defense rifle. I think that there are a few reasons why the popularity of these rifles has risen. One is the absolutely insane amount of news coverage of modern warfare. This probably started back in the early 1990's during Desert Shield/Desert Storm when around the clock CNN news coverage showed off all the cool new stuff the US had developed. Desert Storm also had a side affect with the Hummer H1 that the Iraq and Afghan war completely ruined but that's another subject. Then along came 9/11 and the subsequent war in Iraq and Afghanistan which made a lot of people paranoid and patriotic. Of course the protracted wars, excessive news coverage and TV shows these weapons and the idea of defending the homeland was really hammered into the American consciousness. You also have veterans returning home who had a lot of experience with these weapons and a lot of them wanted to buy them for whatever reason. On a side note there may be another conversation about why modern soldiers and veterans have become obsessed with wanting these weapons after the war when the same kind of people in previous wars had much less interest in having anything to do with their experiences after returning home. But anyway, then there is the rise of conspiracy shows, websites, dishonest politicians and chat groups that have lead to the increased interest of owning these weapons in large amount out of distrust of the US government. Then you have some school shootings with massive news coverage and also FBI raids on individuals and groups that end in a lot of shooting that cause increased paranoia and distrust in government even if the government was or is in right (Another debate). And a large number of people want to defend schools and other places with these weapons, with good intentions, but little or no useful training. And one of the strangest things that have increased the popularity of these types of weapons is Zombie Apocalypse shows and movies. I say this because I know a guy who owns a long running large gun shop in my hometown and years ago I would only see hunting rifles and a reasonable selection of handguns in his shop. Fast forward a few years and he makes huge amounts of money selling weapons that he doesn't really like. Most of those weapons have very little practical value in daily life because the only time you would need a camouflage double barrel shotgun with a folding bayonet is when you are defending your encampment from zombies. He told me one day that he literally mostly sells those crazy types of weapons because that what people want and what they want is literally zombie defense weapons. It's total madness. Also, speaking of increased paranoia local police and federal agencies don't help the paranoia by outfitting themselves with surplus military gear and showboating it to the public. You could place blame in a lot of places for what is happening today but not blame one single thing, person or entity for the rise in AR-15 popularity. As for the mass shooters themselves I think that their motives are related in some ways to the popularity of AR-15 style defense weapons because of publicity and availability but it seems like the root cause of their actions is another problem entirely. The bottom line with the AR-15 is literally the bottom line though. They make people a lot of money and we in the US are a capitalist society at heart and the product of that capitalism and its potential outcomes is rarely considered until lots of bad things happen.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101520252627282930

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •