TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: A bitmap coming into the world wrong

A bitmap coming into the world wrong

I'm having a time with trying to get a CreatureAttachment bitmap to behave.

I created a Concrete object bitmap; Shape-->Model is my bitmap's name in bitmap folder. Then Render-->Bitmap Worldspace property added too, nothing special and Face The Camera added.
    But then dropping it in the mission it comes out looking to the sky, IE it spins when I crouch and then stand up, vs looking at me. I have to put in 90 on B to get it to face me the right way.

I figured I'd just copy the in-world State,

and put it in the concrete object, yet, it comes in the world ignoring it. I can imagine that is normal but is there some other place I need to look at to get this bitmap to come into the world right?

The whole purpose of this bitmap is to use as a CreatureAttachment. Which doesn't seem to work as a Link in the Concrete objects for some reason. I create me new AI in the game and the links aren't there. No Mono error. To get around this I actually just manually link the objects after already being placed in world. To add to the frustration, the in-world bitmap I got somewhere with but changing B to 90, is still ignored when rendered on the AI. In fact it applied it's own orientation:

Putting my custom State in the Concrete object still doesn't help in this case either. My creativity is exhausted, I could use some help. Thank you.

Okay so I played around a bit longer and found that Never Rotate setting on link helped the in-world instance not lose the B setting I put on it.

I still wish though, I could make the Concrete state inform the in-world placed versions. Or at least make Dromed have a better default for placing a bitmap. And why can't I link the Concrete object before placing them?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    1. Why are you using bitmap worldspace objects as attachments? Will regular bitmaps not suffice? Bitmap worldspaces are generally used for conveyor belts, fake moving water, and ground fog.

2. Forget CreatureAttachment, use DetailAttachment instead if you don't actually need the bitmap worldspace object (it won't work if you do, since DA links don't allow a physics model).

1. Yeah I'm not sure what it was for, I just saw in the FireOrb Demo, it was used to keep it always facing you. It's important to have the same feature in this case.

2. I was discouraged to use DetailAttachment because I was getting errors:

Then I since you mentioned it, I revisited and saw that when I CANCEL to keep using Dromed, I saw the AI sideways. Duh you have to From the 'detail'. So trying DetailAttachment now...

Edit: Oh wait no, it's still failing.

Edit2: I guess I will go about making a flat object to see if it will clear.
    Last edited by gamophyte; 12th Mar 2018 at 01:13.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Why are you using bitmap worldspace objects as attachments? Will regular bitmaps not suffice? Bitmap worldspaces are generally used for conveyor belts, fake moving water, and ground fog.
    Remember that NewDark added the ability for bitmap worldspace objects to act as billboarded sprites.

True enough, I just never thought of using such as a creature attachment. I'm curious to see what the bitmap in fact is in this case.

I was going to be precious and keep it a secret, but it's going to look and sound so different, later, that it doesn't spoil too much. Still I will put some space before the gif.

Things to do:
    • Attach multiple tentacle bitmaps more distributed than just the one in the middle. Making them smaller and slower with varied ani rates. This should trick the eye in not noticing the staying with the camera. Plus it will be placed in the dark abandoned chateau. I still would like a cleaner way of doing it, than having all tentacle instances in game in the blue room to attach.
    • A possible headless or 'weird head' new mesh.
    • New voice set, that if done the way I imagined in laying in bed last night, will make a haunt voice set vanilla.
    • Floating disembodied eyes just in front of it.
    • May try to have it have 'deadlights' if possible. May be the hardest to pull off, knowing very little about scripts.
    • May or maynot make an lingering spark trail, or a shroud of some sort.

So no one knows what make the bitmap enheriently come into the world this way? And why doesn't dromed allow me to do the links in concrete level, why do I have to place the bitmap in the world first?

AFAIK you're kind of breaking new ground, here. Sorry I don't know the answers.

My apologies, I tend to overestimate you guys as magical wizards
    Thank you, will hack away at it.

I guess with the concrete thing, there is no way around it, which might make sense since you have to link player to things that also exist in the world (green room, or is it blue??). I will just have to have a green room full of bitmaps.