TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What new features would you like for the next NewDark update (Suggestions)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
    An RNG metaproperty. Min and max range can be customized.
    A what?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Tannar, vfig and PinkDot ive added your suggestions to the Thief french forum , let's hope Le Corbeau will stumble upon it and consider to add some of the features you've suggested for the next NewDark update (assuming there will be another NewDark update).
    Thanks Cardia.

BTW. does anyone know if the new LOD property works on AI meshes too?
    If not, I'd like to add this as a request - to have LODs working with AI. We can expect high-res AI models being popular sooner or later.

Dttirin klist oft mur mttli
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post

BTW. does anyone know if the new LOD property works on AI meshes too?
    It's working.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    It's working.
    +1 I did not expect.

I'd like to see a function to automatically change the number of sides in brushes, ex: change all 12 sided cylinders in a mission into 24 sided cylinders.

Such a function would save much time when adjusting a mission getting close to cell and poly limits.

Yes, and once a shape has portalised, it would be great to be able to change it to a different shape if desired.

It does use the original source code indeed. I don't know if that's the copyright violation, but I know that the New Dark is available for free and it increases sales of games that are 20 years old now.
    Any attempts to shut down the project would be a completely wrong thing to do, from a business point of view and not only. It's like having an enthusiastic employee, who does the work for free and brings money for the company while making other people happy. What's wrong about that?
    So what?
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147978
    I created a texture pack that had scans of stuff that was thousands of years old and the forum went apeshit-even to the point of making cracks about having me arrested. Now if people are going to act like that (without any punishment btw) then something like NewDark that alters the core function of the copyrighted game engine should draw some serious scrutiny-or do we simply selectively apply the rules when it suits us?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    An important distinction here is that we don't know much of anything about NewDark in terms of how it has been developed or by whom, or its legal status. The fact that both Steam and GoG use NewDark in their T1G and T2 packages at least suggests that it is assumed to be either legal or at least permitted by the copyright holder. With Steam in particular, I would be surprised if they had not taken measures to vet the legality of using it with the copyright holder, but none of that would be public knowledge. Point is, the legal status of NewDark is uncertain, unlike the texture pack you linked to.

Dttirin klist oft mur mttli
    Steam and GOG (and also ttlg) allowed ddfix years ago which is a cracked version since it removed the CD check. Well, they were quite happy with ddfix, no need for CD check on Steam & GOG.

We're off-topic, btw.

What about Internet photos categorized under Creative Commons licenses? If I take a CC Photo, and the work is at least 100 years old, but not an additional 70, is that breaking any kind of law?

EDIT: And if it is a CC-licensed-photo of an ancient painting (work of art)? Does that make a difference?

Further Edit As the works I intend to include were created well before 1976, "faithful reproductions of two-dimensional public domain works of art are public domain" - Wikimedia Foundation.
    Last edited by Derspegn; 20th May 2018 at 05:58. Reason: Added information

I really hope to see the game in DX11 one day. DX9 already made it so much better.

The same has been done with the game Gothic 2, which went from DX8 to DX11. Now this 2002 game has God rays, dynamic shadows, a dx11 water shader and much better compatibility in general with modern systems.

I'd like to create missions by C or java code. I've made a randomizer I'd like to use. They told me that DromEd has commands and with those one could do this but I found it terribly outdated and felt like there was some stuff missing.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Niborius View Post
    I really hope to see the game in DX11 one day. DX9 already made it so much better.
    The current renderer barely takes advantage of DX9. I can't imagine why you'd think a DX11 render path would be magically better. The engine has to be explicitly coded to take advantage of new features, but Dark is fundamentally a hacky software renderer with bolted-on 3D acceleration. It likely doesn't lend itself well internally to modern rendering techniques. That's probably why, for example, bump mapping hasn't been added yet.

More the shame that Siege never saw the light of day, which was apparently written from the ground up as a hardware accelerated renderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Steam and GOG (and also ttlg) allowed ddfix years ago which is a cracked version since it removed the CD check.
    The CD check is not an effective copy protection method, therefore removing it is not a crack. ddfix requires a decrypted executable, but ddfix itself is not a crack.

Fixes to physics and collisions maybe so the players doesn't get stuck in stairs and ramps so easily, allowing to attach ladders and ropes with use key or more movement speed options.

The latter two are things which authors can already do today with use of custom scripts, and not things that should be built into a game engine.

2) Oh, and please upgrade model's .bin format to support more polygons. It's really a bottleneck right now. (it's been mentioned by somebody else, I'm just up-voting it)
    You can actually have high-poly models without touching the format, but you'd have to modify the behaviour of the model loader. You'd need to make it ignore the nodes (which specify the offsets of face structs) and skip directly to the face structs, and load them all. Of course you couldn't have a jointed model this way, but you can't have your cake and eat it. A good way to trigger this behaviour would be to have the number of nodes set to zero in the model while the number of faces is nonzero. Right now, the engine would simply draw nothing for a model like that (I think). With a tweaked loader, it could draw whatever you fancy.

And guards came running at the speed of sound to show me how it all would end.

Quote Originally Posted by nemyax View Post
    You can actually have high-poly models without touching the format, but you'd have to modify the behaviour of the model loader. You'd need to make it ignore the nodes (which specify the offsets of face structs) and skip directly to the face structs, and load them all. Of course you couldn't have a jointed model this way, but you can't have your cake and eat it. A good way to trigger this behaviour would be to have the number of nodes set to zero in the model while the number of faces is nonzero. Right now, the engine would simply draw nothing for a model like that (I think). With a tweaked loader, it could draw whatever you fancy.
    OK, static high poly models would be better than nothing and from what you're saying that could be a quick fix for the next version.
    But I still hold my request (maybe for the following version... ). I'd like to have high poly jointed models too. It's not a cake dilemma - it's a perfectly normal and possible thing to want in this world.

I'd like to have high poly jointed models too.
    Well, all it would take is to use ints instead of shorts for offsets and bump the format version to 5. But it's unlikely that will happen.

The only thing I would suggest is related to sound editing. It would be interesting to have a "flag" with a "crossover" option of volumes in the transition between two "environment sounds", for exemple.

It would also be nice if, when loading the game, the sound continued where it stoped, not at the beginning.
    Last edited by leconbras; 18th Jun 2018 at 10:27.

My post-bday wish list:

-Torus-shaped brushes
    -More seamless multi-brushing, e.g that can be dragged around without jittering, etc...
    -the ability to reflect brushwork across a plane, not just rotate (e.g. be able to convert a clockwise spiral staircase into a counter-clockwise staircase just by reflecting.)

-Torus-shaped brushes
    Brushes, by their nature, need to be convex. To get a torus, you'd need a sequence of convex segments - precise slices with precise placement.
    It would be cool to have such a tool that generate these, but it would be even better to have a more generalized tool, that produces fragments of torus - like a slice let's say 90 degrees, with 4 segments. This would allow for bending cylidrical corridors, among others.
    Or making systems of pipes out of brushes.

-More seamless multi-brushing,
    I'd like to see multi-brushes completely revamped into a proper grouping and layering system. Multi-brushes in Dromed is a joke really. Actually jokes are funny, multi-brushes make me cry out of frustration! I hate them.

the ability to reflect brushwork across a plane,
    +1

That makes sense about brushes needing to be convex. I've actually made bending cylindrical corridors out of cylinders but it is a LOT more trouble than it's worth. For every air brush, there were about 5 or 6 flood/Evap/water->solid/water->air/etc... brushes.

Took about an afternoon to make it even once. And given the issues with multi-brushing, replication is non-trivial, unless you want an exact replica.

Glad to see more demand for reflection! It would really simplify a lot of the building process!

I've gotten a lot more comfortable with multibrushes since working on my contest mission these last 6 months, as I've built quite a lot of my mission from multibrush modules/templates I built early on. If anyone has specific questions, please post them in a new thread dedicated to that topic and I'll be glad to help out if I can. They're not as bad as I used to think and I've even learned a handy trick or two, such as setting and using anchor brushes.

One more thing that comes to mind ... Could it be possible to have 3d glasses support? ... lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast