TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What new features would you like for the next NewDark update (Suggestions)

If we are asking Santa for a present, I would ask for more script slots on objects. Yes you can get more via metaprops and inheritance, but its a pain. And it is just a list after all. So why not allow as many as needed?

Keyla the Otter
    RNG function

You can do that in scripts, either C or squirrel.

One issue that concerns me is related to possible script conflicts. With NewDark and Custom Scripts, a new possibility of conflict can occur and can cause annoying problems. I will describe:

Imagine that you used a script in a concrete object created in the game (NVRelayTrap on a expecífic Door, for example). When you created it, nothing appeared in the hierarchy, so you were free to use that script.
    Some time later, or even years later, you decided to make a change in the root of that object (to affect all doors in hierarchy). Here's the problem. If you create the NVRelayTrap on a root object in the tree, I will not receive any warning that this change will conflict with what is configured on the particular concrete object.

Obviously, one solution is to use the various possible Script instances (Genius, NV !). Me, for example, usually use a countdown sequence whenever I edit the root (NVRelayTrap10, NVRelayTrap9 ....) to prevent conflicts. I do not even remember what I ate yesterday, Will I remember if I already used that script in my mission one year ago ???

It would be interesting to get some kind of warning in this case.

ZylonBane
    What.

One thing I'd like to see is the inclusion of coordinates in monolog for warnings/errors such as totally coplanar... ick. or the dreaded remove_poly_edge. This would make finding the offending brushes far easier. I think it's already the case for a few errors such as SplitPortalPolyhedronByPlane or SplitPolyBySides. I haven't encountered these two in a while so I could be wrong, but I believe it's the case.

I'd love the ability to clone an object along with it's links (as an option, not by default).

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    You can do that in a slightly roundabout way by exporting it as a multibrush and then importing it multiple times (links are preserved). Or, of course, creating archetypes with the links and instantiating them.

I have an easy request:
    Self Illumination property to accept RGB values.

ZylonBane
    You mean Extra Light. Self Illumination is the property that controls the brightness of self-illuminated model materials.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Translation: Make NewDark run my ridiculous vanity mission because I have no idea how to work within reasonable technical constraints.
    Translation: I'm unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You mean Extra Light. Self Illumination is the property that controls the brightness of self-illuminated model materials.
    Yes, thanks for correction - I meant Extra Light property.

I think this was already mentioned a long time ago, but I would like to have this implemented.

This would be super cool. I heard the code already existed in the original game, but had not been activated in the released game. (maybe for performance reasons?)

[dreamModeON]
    This seems to work on brushes so far. It would be great, if for the consistency of the look, it could work on static meshes as well (respect the 'Immobile' property).
    In certain cases you'd want it to work on static meshes without Immobile property as well - let's say doors or breakable obstacles, as this could spoil secret passages or just look wrong in certain cases.
    Having it work on dynamic objects, like AI or moving parts would be too much to ask, I guess. (even in dream mode! )
    [dreamModeOFF]

So how was that video made? Has this already been implemented somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrEgdbRmGA

There's a comment from the author of the video:
    It was a video from side build of newdark. Just for testing. For some reason they decided not to implement it in release.

So maybe for the next patch ?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Considering that comment was made over two years ago and we don't even know if the uploader is the same person who modified the code, I would consider it unlikely.

I'm guessing the person who posted that video is vorob from the forums here, so you could always PM them to get more info on how they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    I'd love the ability to clone an object along with it's links (as an option, not by default).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    You can do that in a slightly roundabout way by exporting it as a multibrush and then importing it multiple times (links are preserved). Or, of course, creating archetypes with the links and instantiating them.
    That’s very helpful to know about that multibrush trick! Thanks!

I’ve got a complicated elevator setup that needs to replicated for several floors, which would be a huge pain to do manually.

Keyla the Otter
    Twitch integration

DromEd Archmage
    At the moment, the thing I'm awaiting for is the MP mod with newdark.

This one with olddark IS AVAILABLE with it source code and it WORKS. There are bugs to fix of course but they could easily add it into a patch. I don't get why it is not done already.
    Perhaps they are working on it and want to release it once it will be perfect, who knows ?

I'm really not sure, but I think one of the factors might be that there currently isn't a global server for it. If there was, players could easily join instead of trying to get a port number from other players. Another reason could be that the demand for it isn't high enough.

FKA Buccura
    Is it possible to use NewDark to modify difficulty parameters, such as AI hearing and sight awareness? I know you can do it with .gam files but it would be really neat if we can have global settings, like what the Dark Mod has.

S O F T WA R E M O D E

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast