TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 2

Didn't see anyone mention this but I thought it deserved its own thread.

Capcom finally revealed the remake of RE2 at E3 the other day with not one but two trailers and a gameplay demo.

Looks like they decided to go with the OTS perspective while using the same engine as RE7. Should be coming out in January 2019 for PS4, XBOXOne, and PC.

Announcement Trailer

Showcase Trailer

Gameplay Demo with commentary

Extended Gameplay Demo with no commentary

So is anyone else pumped for this?
    Last edited by SDF121; 13th Jun 2018 at 02:03.

Moderator and Priest
    I am now! I never once thought Capcom would revisit RE2 like this.

Looks good. Would still love to see what a shot for shot remake with fixed camera angles would look like with today's tech, but I'll definitely follow the progress on this one.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 13th Jun 2018 at 22:05.

RE2 was released earlier today. I had to work last night so I won't be able to sit down and play until later today after I've had some rest. Anyone else plan on playing this weekend?

The one thing I'm quite sad about, due to this remake, Resident Evil 1.5 had to go into hiding.

Would DEFINITELY have got a AM2R style C&D due to it. It's coming out regardless anyway. But still.

This seems to be getting ridiculously good reviews so far. I'm kind of surprised by that, but it's good to hear. I guess there's a hardcore mode, which is excellent, as the original game was too easy IMO.

Moderator and Priest
    Based on what I played from the one shot demo, it's not a 1:1 faithful remake. It's really more its own game that uses RE2 as a guideline. In style and feel, I'd say it hews more closely to RE7 than the PS1 original.

One bit I don't like is that a point blank headshot doesn't kill a zombie. Usually appears to take a few. They need to watch some Walking Dead, or the Romero zombie movies (which the original Resident Evil games of 1 - Code Veronica, drew inspiration from).
    Last edited by icemann; 27th Jan 2019 at 03:23.

Chakat sex pillow
    It actually takes between 3 - 5 headshots. I had a bit in the demo where every time I killed a particular zombie and decided it was dead, it kept getting back up. Had to stab it a bunch of times after going, 'who the fuck? what the fuck? why the fuck?'. Turns out that each zombie has a randomised amount of health, which is an... interesting mechanic.

At least their not like the zombies from the movie "Return of the Living Dead". You'd be in for a nightmare.

Zombies that don't go down at all. Even if you chopped their head off, as each bit would act independently.

I got it from Gamebillet for about $15 off. Which made it worth it to me. Every new AAA game in Canada is at least $79 these days and I got a decent discount to buy it.

It's pretty great, but I think they botched some story stuff and didn't get the whole "zapping" thing right. There are very little differences storywise between the A and B scenarios for each character, which is a pity. But the gameplay itself is pretty great, even if the zombies can be bullet sponges. One trick I recently learned was that the only thing shooting them in the head does is give you a chance for a crit. Other than that limb or body damage is the same as headshots. It's a different kind of zombie game, and if nothing else, it's made zombies scary again.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    It's pretty great, but I think they botched some story stuff and didn't get the whole "zapping" thing right.
    They actually said that they had scrapped plans for the the whole A/B scenarios and zapping system a year or so ago although that hasn't stopped people from thinking they're still in the game. To be fair, the whole second run lends itself to suggesting they kept the A/B scenarios intact. To me, it seems the second run is really more of an abridged version of the first run for the opposite character to avoid retreading many of the same story beats while allowing you to see the main points/highlights of the opposite characters story.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this remake despite a few minor critiques. I actually like how the zombies are bullet sponges as it balances out the control you have being able to freely aim for the head. I think this really forces you to assess each encounter and consider whether you truly have enough resources to fight your way through a horde. Do I risk using what little ammo I have hoping to get a critical head shot or should I instead take out their legs to make them easier to dodge? Or maybe I should shoot their arms so they can't grab me. The variety of ways with which you can dispatch zombies or wound them is really interesting and adds a whole new dynamic to what would otherwise have been another standard encounter with your stereotypical zombie character.

I think my favorite thing about this game is the sense of permanence in that everything is as you leave it. Shoot that zombie in the leg and he will still be crawling around every time you return to that area. Kill another foe and their body will remain where they lay as a reminder to your struggle. It's really cool to see a game where your enemies don't just disappear whether dead or alive and the seamless transitions between each area and every cut scene really adds to the games slick presentation.

Anyways, if you're a fan of Resident Evil or survival horror games in general I highly recommend checking this remake out. There's just so much that it does right while staying true to the spirit of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The one thing I'm quite sad about, due to this remake, Resident Evil 1.5 had to go into hiding.
    What do you mean? Resi 1.5 has been around forever....

Edit: You can find patches to make it (slightly more) playable here: http://re123.bplaced.net/board/viewf...93b9f292116196

Check the different threads for different patches... As for the iso itself well... to paraphrase the X-Files - it's out there....
    Last edited by curseofnight; 5th Feb 2019 at 21:09.

Great games but the movies . . .

So today by accident I played the last RE movie. I remember why I stopped watching the very first RE movie and they did the same god damn thing in this one. Boring ass intro with the long ass narration. RE was one of my favorite horror games (Just like the classic PC version of Alone in the dark) but man. Love the game but the movies are just . . . yeah . . .

Quote Originally Posted by curseofnight View Post
    What do you mean? Resi 1.5 has been around forever....

Edit: You can find patches to make it (slightly more) playable here: http://re123.bplaced.net/board/viewf...93b9f292116196

Check the different threads for different patches... As for the iso itself well... to paraphrase the X-Files - it's out there....
    There is patches sure, but the project hasn't been released yet. And thanks to the remake the people behind the project had to go into hiding. What happened to AM2R was a good example of what happens to similar projects these days.

El Shagmeister
    Ah, good times. Brought a lot of good memories playing the original RE 2 (which I replayed, a lot, to get all scenarios and endings. No Hunk or Tofu 'cuz fuck that ranking system/speedrun bullshit), and made several new ones with all the changes and quality-of-life improvements. Boss fights are still more a miss than a hit due to controls that work, more or less, better for the main game than said fights, imho.

All in all, I loved it. Finished Leon's campaign first, onward to Claire's!