TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Stranding (PS4) - Hideo Kojima

From memory it went more a city setting which is what I didn't like about it. Loved the more jungle / village style of the first. Combined with the music it set the tone of the game nicely.

Still Subjective
    Last Ninja 2 was a time travel to New York wasn't it?

I want to play them both. How can I do this?

Emulation be the easiest way.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

My impressions of the newest trailer:-
    • Open world gameplay looks firmly up my alley. I live for worlds to get lost in exploring.
    • Framerate in the gameplay footage was atrocious. I'll give this version a hard miss and wait for the PS5 or PC port.
    • That trailer tune rocked!
    • The story so far reeks of thinly veiled globalist propaganda. I'm not surprised, Kojima probably lives in the same rich person reality warping bubble as his Hollywood friends.

In terms of that particular trailer alone, I think the message is clear: Kojima reassures the audience that his style hasn't changed.

I've been following his games roughly since MGS 2, and obviously a lot has changed since 2001, especially in how we consume media. I'd probably love this trailer back then. Now not so much, as it ignores everything that has changed since the old days but technology. It probably sounds picky, but Apocalyptica in 2019 is a music facepalm, and it has nothing to do with what goes on in the trailer (maybe except for the track name). The shots and framing are obviously a good job, but editing is abysmal. Again, that style was ok around 2001, so were Unreal and Unreal Tournament camera flybys in the late 90s. Today that snail pace with little variety feels really outdated and asking for way too much of my time vs the content they show. There's a cryptic story juxtaposed with super average No Man's Sky-like gameplay footage. You could compress that information to something like 2,5 minutes.

I hope this will be a similar case to his other games, where actual gameplay is more interesting than what's shown in trailers.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, Judith, I agree. It was presented in a very dated way imho.

I thought the music was great though. I don't care who it is, and nor should you.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    My impressions of the newest trailer:-
    Framerate in the gameplay footage was atrocious. I'll give this version a hard miss and wait for the PS5 or PC port.
    I thought it was really bad too, but perhaps this is just because it's not finished. Is it definitely coming to PC? Isn't that just a rumour right now? And PS5 is 1.5 - 2 years away.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I thought it was really bad too, but perhaps this is just because it's not finished.
    Possibly being unfinished could have something to do with it. That being said it's running on the same engine as Horizon: Zero Dawn and that had ass framerate too.
    Is it definitely coming to PC? Isn't that just a rumour right now?
    https://www.pcgamer.com/kojima-produ...ens-its-doors/
    And PS5 is 1.5 - 2 years away.
    Meh, I'm in no hurry to play anything (if they aren't AC and Far Cry). By the time I get around to a title a better and/or more complete version is usually out, at a cheaper price.

Still Subjective
    That story seems to have an update suggesting PS only, but tbh if that's the only source I'm not confident that PC it's happening.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Watched the Gamescom footage. Still WTF is this game supposed to be? Gotta wait for user reviews maybe six months after release for honest opinions, not clouded by Kojima Cult of Personality drones.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm still very intrigued by it, but I'm also aware that this is exactly what we asked for. The unfiltered mind of Kojima, mostly free from old corporate strictures. So of course we're going to get something with hours of exposition, context, subtext, metatext, philosophical meandering and pretentiousness, all of it told directly to the audience while being wilfully obtuse at the same time.

Having said that, he's also usually able to tell a good story and knows what good gameplay looks like. I'm not fazed. Obviously it's going to be an acquired taste, but I'm still very much open to seeing what kind of game he's made.

Still Subjective
    Watched the Gamescom footage. Still WTF is this game supposed to be? Gotta wait for user reviews maybe six months after release for honest opinions, not clouded by Kojima Cult of Personality drones.
    You'll hate it, so why bother?

Moderator and Priest
    I'll probably get this release day. I have no idea if it'll be good or not, but it looks so strange, so interesting, I can't ignore it.

Hideo Kojima's going to make you his bitch. Oh wait what?

I just don't get this game at all.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I just don't get this game at all.
    It's not for you then. Stop posting about it, don't watch videos or read press releases. Don't even think about it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    You'll hate it, so why bother?
    Why do you still post on a forum which you ragequit years ago?

Still Subjective
    I'm back.

Just like your mom.

Moderator and Priest
    Goddamn, Subjeff. Quit trolling people.

Still Subjective
    I haven't trolled a single person. I can start if you'd like.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Took a lot of criticism for Kojima to crawl out of his own asshole and explain himself to everyone else. They should've released info like this from the beginning.

Has plenty of vibes of Escape from New York IMO (which is unsurprising since it's been known that Kojima is a fan of that film since at least the MGS2 days).

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...81706824597504

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 12th Sep 2019 at 00:06.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Took a lot of criticism for Kojima to crawl out of his own asshole and explain himself to everyone else. They should've released info like this from the beginning.
    Yes really, what's with all this MYSTIQUE shit? Does Kojima not realize how precious a gamer's time is??? Now if you'll excuse me I have 10 more forums where I must register my displeasure at this delayed briefing trailer!

The reference that comes to my mind isn't Escape from NY but The Postman, even though I thought the Kevin Costner movie itself was kind of a mess, the concept (and the novel) is still solid. I mean I wouldn't put it past Kojima to be a fan of the movie too, since for some reason it strikes me as the kind of movie that would appeal to a Japanese sensibility like his.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yes really, what's with all this MYSTIQUE shit? Does Kojima not realize how precious a gamer's time is??? Now if you'll excuse me I have 10 more forums where I must register my displeasure at this delayed briefing trailer!
    God forbid people be provided with coherent media material to help make informed purchasing decisions, right?

Now you should proceed directly to Twitter to shit upon potential customers, like a lot of millennial indie developers who like the smell of their own farts.

Yeah I'd say also that it's more Postman than Escape from NY. Metal Gear Solid was more Escape from New York. The main characters named Snake for fucks sake. Good briefing video. Gives the game a greater context. I still don't get the thing with the babies though.

I don't get why Kojima's coping so much hate. Guys a legend. Up there with Miyamoto.

Moderator and Priest
    I don't get why Kojima's coping so much hate. Guys a legend. Up there with Miyamoto.
    Cuz internet.

Though I have to admit, I laughed out loud when I saw the name Die Hardman. But hey, that's about standard Kojima. Guy's always had this weird knack for mixing the dead serious with the utterly goofy.

That's like Fred Fuchs of LGN (responsible for a mountain of horrible games on the NES).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast