TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old TTLG'ers

I've only met Scots and Muzman, but it was fun.

El Shagmeister
    Condolences, gunners.

SShock2.com

People's lives move on. If you'd have asked this same question two months ago, I would not have answered, because my life was too demanding at the time. I miss all the old people, GBM, Sypha, Noid, all the various idiots who could never agree on anything. I do miss them. That is why I came back. In fact, only a month ago, I made a list in my head of all my old friends on TTLG. Matching up TTLG names with their real ones. It was quite a long list. Maybe that's why I came back. Compared to all the other internet idiots, perhaps I prefer the old clever stupid ones I used to know.

[Edit]

Through the power of the internet, ten days from now, I'll meet up with Daxim again, for the first time in roughly 15 years, and he can once again berate me for failing to do proper machine coding and/or scripting, over a few pints. We'll need several pints.

Yes. THAT Daxim. The most lovable, cuddly, fluffy, sparkly, bouncy, cute thing you can imagine... is exactly what he isn't. Thank fuck for that. I hate all that shit.
    Last edited by Gray; 5th Aug 2018 at 14:27.

Mistaken for a man
    ^ Yay!

Oh god, gunny, that's so horrible and sad. My condolences

I used to see Vigil and Morrgan at least once a year, when I was in Turku for the book fair. And in 2008 or 2009 we lived in Turku for 6 weeks with Morbusg while there was pipe renovation done in our house. I think that's the last time we met with Virrgan, and even though we had merry time (at least I had!) after that the connection just somehow faded. Morte went that same way, but I'm not sure he even lives in Turku any more. I'm fb friends with Morrgan but she's never there. I should see if I could get in touch with them somehow now, the next Turku book fair is in October.

And we had those memorable Finn Meets years ago, but I haven't heard of any of them for years - TJK, DeepQantas, krummi and others.

I have several TTLG friends in facebook tho. With Hanse we're actually rather close friends nowadays
    Last edited by Vasquez; 4th Aug 2018 at 16:49.

They're dead. Dead as a doornail [plural].

Although I was Digi's fan. But he left us for more commercially viable fields.

I followed Lytha on her youtube channel briefly as she let's played the Thief series. Then she got cancer in the tongue (there's something ironic and perhaps really fortunate about that as she used her voice daily for Youtube and possibly wouldn't have realized it otherwise) and after a while was reportedly fine, but we all know how that story tends to go. Then she went completely radio silent and that was... over 6 years ago (closer to 7). Every year really does get shorter, Roger Waters.
    Last edited by Thor; 5th Aug 2018 at 12:49.

Well then, I think I'll go open up a vein just to see what happens next. Thanks for that feel good post, Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    And Queue, you fucker, you still haven't given me a story. Holding out on me when I know you have some good ones. Shame.
    How else would I maintain my international-man-of-mystery status?

The time stamp of your post made my dangerously drunk state note - I joined this forum exactly 10 years ago! Ahahahaha, VERY NICE.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Medlar View Post
    how many ttlg members have you met off line?
    My list is surprisingly short, I mostly wasted my time on TTLG or #thief.
    I met BigDave, FatBurrick, Jenesis at Alton Towers in 2002. I met Jimthehairy in London on the same trip. I've met Daxim twice, in Berlin and Düsseldorf, and Kyloe in Berlin. I once accidently bumped into a slightly unstable Finnish TTLG:er on a ferry Stockholm-Helsinki, completely unplanned but he recognised me (no, not one of the cool ones we all know and love, he didn't post much, but I shall withhold his name to save him the embarrassment of the spilled beer and vomit story). If there are any others I forgot about, sorry, I'll edit this and add you later.

The list of old TTLG'ers that I knew quite well at some point, 15-20 years ago, is a bit longer, but if they're not on the above list we never met IRL. GBM, Sypha Nadon, Para?Noid, Sailoreagle, MrDuck, henke, MsLedd, Stitch666 (still own his CD), frozenman, buglunch, probably 20 more people I can't remember at the moment of typing this. Many late nights on #thief, discussing our latest heartbreaks or general whiny misery. A lot of that time was spent arguing over music, trading music, and proving that my music was better than theirs. I sent actual physical CD:s to Noid, frozenman (UT installs) and Sypha to their actual postal addresses, buglunch sent me an awesome Skinny Puppy live DVD. Daxim and I set up a web server in my kitchen that hosted various music made by TTLG members, over 30 different artists, maybe even 50, I forget. I provided the hardware (an old Sun Microsystems Sparc Server S20 I borrowed from work) and location, and Daxim did the actual thinking and work, remotely from Germany. I only knew Digi and Hanse a little bit, I mostly spoke to them when I became a forum moderator, they were mostly hanging out with people they knew from before I joined back in 1998. (This is my second nickname, if you can remember my first, that means you're old. No, it wasn't "fez boy", that was just a webcam joke that became a Thing.)

Thinking back like this triggers a lot of nostalgia, I may remember more later, but that's all for now.
    Last edited by Gray; 5th Aug 2018 at 17:23.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

h-son wasn’t it? How is your insomnia these days?

Hope you're finding a way out of the darkness and into a better place Gunny, and that we can see more of you. My condolences.

I still feel like a late-comer actually, compared to the original crew. I've met BrokenArts in Texas, almost fett (I had to bail at the last minute), and Jeshibu in Tokyo. I met some random somebody once (I think a guy studying abroad here) that said they were a regular and have I ever heard of ttlg and I was like, uh, well I'm a mod there, so chances are good I have.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    (Nameless Voice pointed me here, so blame him for this.)

Leaving TTLG was the best thing I could have done for myself at that point in time. In all honesty, I should have left when I turned 30 -- I was a very dull, shitty person for most of my 20s, and turning 30, my grandfather's death, and the 2012 election, all in the span of two months, were sort of the starting point for me realizing I needed to get some serious personal growth in. I started trying to make changes in my life and in how I responded to people. I stopped associating with just any douchebag who gave me the time of day, and cut quite a few people out of my life -- something I'm still in the process of doing. I started trying to get my anger issues under control. But for some reason I held on with TTLG, which was a mistake on my part. The level of discourse could get incredibly toxic (partly my fault, I admit, but I refuse to take responsibility for where it's at now) and it was getting in the way of my personal growth. When someone implied that I should have killed myself to spare TTLG the pain of my existence I knew I had no reason to stay anymore. I left another forum a couple years after that for similar reasons of toxicity (and also I have a thing about people fetishizing disability.) While I do sometimes post on a rare basis, it usually ends up reminding me why I left.

I've learned a lot about myself in the intervening years (including some personal identity shit I've been working through.) I've lost a lot of loved ones, and I've learned who my friends are and where my priorities belong. I don't even use "dethtoll" for anything anymore except for stuff I can't change, like my email and Steam accounts. I'm trying to be a better person than I was, and part of that means not hanging out in the places the old me used to go.

While I used to continue being friends with certain people from here even after I left, I've since ended up cutting ties with a few of them too, though I'm fb friends with quite a number of TTLGers, chiefly Duck, Dia, faetal, demagogue, Harvester and Jason. (It was hard to think of some of their usernames... I'm so used to their real names now.) There are others but we don't interact terribly much -- they're not as active on fb as I am. Aerothorn blocked me ages ago. I think I might have Stoo on Twitter? I'm also fairly active on the ttlg-kru Discord under the name "arobase" where I mostly talk to NV, Kolya and a few others.

I'm really sorry for your loss, gunny -- you've always been one of the nicest people on TTLG and you deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I followed Lytha on her youtube channel briefly as she let's played the Thief series. Then she got cancer in the tongue (there's something ironic and perhaps really fortunate about that as she used her voice daily for Youtube and possibly wouldn't have realized it otherwise) and after a while was reportedly fine, but we all know how that story tends to go. Then she went completely radio silent and that was... over 6 years ago (closer to 7). Every year really does get shorter, Roger Waters.
    She went nihilistic. Got offended when people worried for her well being tried to find out how she was doing, and made a birthday thread for her. As I recall, her last post on the thread (and forum) was a contemptuous rant against concerned forum members who had tried to reach her

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I'm also fairly active on the ttlg-kru Discord under the name "arobase" where I mostly talk to NV, Kolya and a few others.
    There's a ttlg-kru Discord?

Yup. There was a a thread over in Gen Gaming.

It was theoretically set up to talk about games and maybe arrange gaming sessions, though we mostly just talk about the occasional bit of game design, some other random things, and get depressed at the current state of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    She went nihilistic. Got offended when people worried for her well being tried to find out how she was doing, and made a birthday thread for her. As I recall, her last post on the thread (and forum) was a contemptuous rant against concerned forum members who had tried to reach her
    That's... really not how I remember it.

Still Subjective
    someone implied that I should have killed myself to spare TTLG the pain of my existence
    Wow. What the hell?

Glad you're doing better dethtoll!

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    That's really sad if true.

I promise you it's not. What actually happened is that someone or someones invaded her privacy as well as that of a complete stranger who shared her name and sent emails to people connected to her, including former coworkers. She expressed her extreme discomfort with that and a bunch of members, yourself included, basically shamed her for it and tried to justify the whole thing while accusing her of being irrational.

Not one of this forum's better moments.

Still Subjective
    She expressed her extreme discomfort with that and a bunch of members, yourself included, basically shamed her for it and tried to justify the whole thing while accusing her of being irrational.
    I re-read the thread and it came back to me.

That's not what happened at all.

I mean, it's kind of right there in the thread, but I already know you'll argue otherwise until you're dead so I'm not going to argue with you about it. See? Personal growth.

I'm also fairly active on the ttlg-kru Discord under the name "arobase" where I mostly talk to NV, Kolya and a few others.
    Well, well, well...so you're arobase......I didn't recognize you, due to the absence of your previous toxic nature.

I congratulate you on your effort to better yourself, and wish you success on releasing the hate from your heart.

Nooooooo stay on the dark side dethy! The dark side loves you. The best sex is on the dark side and you know it! And always remember the dark side is patient. It knows you will return. Also know that if we had words I don't remember them. See? The dark side forgets. Every day is a clean slate on it's black heart. Eh, maybe the dark side is getting senile. Good to hear from you though.

Good to hear from a lot of you. Has anyone heard from Scotts? Have GBM and Starry had children yet? Is theBlackman still jamming? There needs to be a homecoming day here for folks to check in and checkout how things are going. I would like to know that some are simply still alive. That all those unknowns mentioned are good.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I re-read the thread and it came back to me.

That's not what happened at all.
    I mean, it's kind of right there in the thread, but I already know you'll argue otherwise until you're dead so I'm not going to argue with you about it. See? Personal growth.
    This little interaction just gave me the biggest laugh for some reason, and is why I love (and hate...can't get all sappy) you both.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I was wondering what happened to a few people that we haven't seen around here for ages.

fett hasn't posted for ages. SD is never about. dethtoll seems perma out. MsLedd. GBM. RBJ. Agent Monkeysee. Lytha. Starrfall. Muzman. Sypha Nadon. Uncia. Matthew. BrokenArts. Digi. Shug. Fafhrd. Vigil.

Anyone know where they are?
    I don't really belong in such exalted company, not least because I posted half a dozen times in the last month alone.

Good to see a few people have checked in, I miss everyone who isn't around any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Medlar View Post
    Le French’s (raif’s) post made me think... how many ttlg members have you met off line?
    Just Scots and Vernon.

Unfortunately, I've missed opportunities.

I had a meet up with the_fonz planned, but I think we had to cancel at the last minute and I don't remember why. Although we lived in the same city for a while and had each other's phone #, neither of us got around to rescheduling.

I was planning to join a TTLG meetup that faetal was trying to organize in the greater London area, but IIRC the date everyone decided on coincided with a business trip so I couldn't make it. Considering how much time I spent in the UK, from long duration business travel to living there for a short while, I regret not trying to meet some TTLG members. It's a geographically small country and nobody is that far away. I was never in a hurry to make something happen because I was always coming back soon, until suddenly I wasn't.

I also had a near-miss with fett. He was moving into my area at the same time I was moving away. His health was really poor, and even though I didn't really know him I felt a little bit of obligation to welcome him, and maybe help him get his family settled. But unfortunately, I was gone just before he got here.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I don't really belong in such exalted company
    Yeah you do.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast