TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Old TTLG'ers

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I was wondering what happened to a few people that we haven't seen around here for ages.

fett hasn't posted for ages. SD is never about. dethtoll seems perma out. MsLedd. GBM. RBJ. Agent Monkeysee. Lytha. Starrfall. Muzman. Sypha Nadon. Uncia. Matthew. BrokenArts. Digi. Shug. Fafhrd. Vigil.
    Oh. Um. Hi!

Moderator and Priest
    Holy poop!

I arrive courtesy of Outie and an insecure password I reused in far too many places. Currently resisting the urge to go look at my old posts because I made that mistake on LiveJournal once and it was bad opinion city.

Who actually hosts this place these days? I'm (pleasantly) surprised it's still up.

I racked up 2k-odd posts aaaages ago when I was still playing a lot of Thief and in my last years of school/early university. I think I stopped posting around 2005/6.

I kind of knew TTLG was still going when I ended up here in the spring after googling myself to see what came up professionally while applying for jobs and realised I'd posted my full name multiple times Early-2000s internet was a different world.

I used to love it here. It was a really nice little community, and I'm glad to see a few old names still around. I never really hung out on IRC enough to get to know people super well but still made a few pals. Made various embarrassing teenage posts now and then, entered into some deeply inadvisable flame wars, but mostly just liked the atmosphere of fun and cool people hanging out, even if I never felt like either of those things. Chatted to MrDuck a fair bit (and if you're reading, my shag-happy friend, we actually follow each other on IG though I don't know if you remember this username...).

Having retreated almost totally from social media in the last two years I really miss when the internet was like this...it was more anonymous because you could hide behind a username, but I feel like there were a lot of complex characters because people here really put effort into their posts, rather than just posting whatever shite was on their mind as FB, twitter etc encourage you to do. I drifted away from TTLG when I finished my degree but I can see why so many people stayed in touch and why many became friends in real life. I've done a bit of digging through old threads to see what people are up to, glad to see some people making a go of it, sad to see that others have had a rough time now and then.

I forgot my password

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncia View Post
    Who actually hosts this place these days? I'm (pleasantly) surprised it's still up.
    It's Al_B down in the boiler room, tirelessly working night and day to keep the wheels turning and the lights on.

...he hasn't had a vacation in 6 years. I don't think we appreciate him enough.

AND ONIONBOB! HOLY SHIT!

I arrive courtesy of Outie
    What are you up to? Outie, if you read this, what are you up to?

Aw, I miss those days, when I used to check the forums every 20 minutes to see if anyone had responded to some argument of mine, and then when they did, the inevitable shame and anger that followed. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Daxim View Post
    oh hello

I kind of fell off the internet for a while after moving to the UK because I literally lived in someone's garden shed for the first four or five months, and then kind of fell off of web forums in favour of Facebook because deciding to work in games wasn't a bad enough life choice by itself. [edit: goodness, apparently I did hang around for several years after moving to the UK. it's been so long that entire chunk of my life is just an indistinct lump now.]

tl;dr of the last decade or so: bailed on working in the games industry after 8 years, now working as a Python person, bought a (very tiny) home, got a dog and started a family.
    Last edited by TheOutrider; 8th Aug 2018 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion Bob View Post
    I forgot my password
    Little wonder when you inject heroin directly into your eyeball. How is Thom?

It's for the glaucoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxim View Post
    Moved to the UK, currently living a short drive from Outie! Renting a small house with my partner because I'm not a boomer and cannot afford to own property (too much avocado on toast for me).

I just kind of dropped off the forums and IRC because the topics had grown stale and the type of genre I visited them for pretty much died for a decade. Also manged to avoid FB (thankfully), but did temporarily dip my toes into Twitter before noping back out of it. I can't help but wonder if social media and by extension the internet at large really did change in the past decade or if it merely exposed the nasty toxicity that was hidden from me prior because I wasn't the target demographic of its attacks.

Though unlike Outie I did not make the mistake of going into the games industry. Knowing many friends who were (or still are) caught up in it, boy did I ever dodge a bullet.

verbose douchebag
    I see Digi from time to time. He's doing well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Onion Bob, Naartjie, Uncia! I remember you guys. Never leave us again!

Outie, tell us more about the games industry gig. What company were you at?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Outie, tell us more about the games industry gig. What company were you at?
    Shan't name names in case I go off on a grumble about the place at some point. I got originally hired as customer support for German users, except they didn't actually have games in German at the time. So I spent a year or so helping with translations, then a year doing support, then another year or two working on translations and then got moved into the regular QA team as a technical tester when a minor Restructuring happened and the company decided "hey, we don't need TWO testers in the translation team, one is enough and if they go on holiday then oh well".

Eventually I got tired of having basically no career advancement options, the absurd general processes (who needs version control?) and the increasing spread of crunch throughout the company (exacerbated by the absurd processes), realised I could get 10%+ higher salaries outside of the games business - I hadn't even had an inflation adjustment raise in three years at that point and the discretionary annual bonus had been cancelled for two years in a row - and went WELP, BYE FOREVER

I have made a few small shitposty games for game jams in my own time since then but it would take A Lot to get me back into corporate gamedev. Too much of a young man with few responsibilities' deal for me these days. I'd kind of like to do more hobbyist/freelance games stuff but with a fulltime job and a family time and energy are scarce for that kind of thing.

I do have Opinions on games, game development and games/gamedev culture, mind you.
    Last edited by TheOutrider; 9th Aug 2018 at 11:14.

Very cool to see some old nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I see Digi from time to time. He's doing well.
    Didn't Purah go to Lyon, as well? Do you know / see him?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOutrider View Post
    I have made a few small shitposty games for game jams in my own time since then but it would take A Lot to get me back into corporate gamedev. Too much of a young man with few responsibilities' deal for me these days. I'd kind of like to do more hobbyist/freelance games stuff but with a fulltime job and a family time and energy are scarce for that kind of thing.

I do have Opinions on games, game development and games/gamedev culture, mind you.

I keep thinking that there are so many talented people around TTLG that they could band together and make their own great games.
    But, in all honestly, we'd probably just all argue over what to make and not get anything done.

El Shagmeister
    Wee wee...

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Wee wee...
    Eyyyy! o/

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    nuked my Facebook page from orbit (it's the only way to be sure)
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's still there and people still post to it.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by hopper View Post
    Didn't Purah go to Lyon, as well? Do you know / see him?
    I couldn't answer that I'm afraid. More than happy to say hi to whoever is in the area though. I've met Yakoob and Briareos H as well, to answer an earlier question of who has done IRL stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I keep thinking that there are so many talented people around TTLG that they could band together and make their own great games.
    But, in all honestly, we'd probably just all argue over what to make and not get anything done.
    Also the game would end up being one that was utterly unable to get any commercial success (of course I'm assuming that was a goal in the first place)... Sadly I think today, a lot of what sells is not what you want to make.
    Of course most (all) of my experience here comes from mobile, where I have worked for a good number of years now, and it ain't getting any better...

I don't agree. While it's certainly true that a lot of modern games (and especially AAA games) are .... diluted to try to appeal to the largest possible audience, that doesn't mean that other games don't sell, even ones in unpopular genres that AAA studios don't touch much any more.

I don't think mobile games compare. You can't really play deep games on a phone (at least, I haven't found any.)

Do you have any actual examples of (PC) games that were of high quality and in the style of game that we like on TTLG, but didn't sell well?

I'd rather think the problem would be that every one of us want to be working on their own game, and wouldn't want to cooperate on someone else's.

Anyway, we're hijacking the thread here, this is more of a conversation for GenGaming.

El Shagmeister
    Eyyyy! o/
    o/

*Begins to slowly devour Uncia*

Nom nom nom...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast