TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 497

Thread: The Decline of the Debate and the Rise of the Far Left and Right

  1. #326
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Character assassination attempts are a sign of cowardliness and weakness, especially when those claims are not only out of context, but objectively false, as well.
    It's not character assassination, because you'd have to be possessed of some character first.

  2. #327
    This is why those of you who are cheering all this censorship as wonderful to "fight hate" should REALLY stop and think about it:

    https://www.salon.com/2019/09/19/a-s...-or-a-feature/


    TLDR:

    Twitter is censoring left wing organizations from criticizing Warren.

  3. #328
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Whether a conspiracy or imagined, vocal Twitter leftists saw it as a provocation.
    I dunno why the left and the right bicker so much. They both have so much in common.

  4. #329
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Good Lord. A twitter feature has a glitch and it's a conspiracy that makes it okay for Nazis to spread hate and violence. I'm finally won over to tiki clanin.

    Yee haw.

  5. #330
    If you believe that it’s an accidental glitch then you are beyond help.




    Everyone else might like that. NYU professor Johnathan Haidt gives a TED talk explaining the psychology that drives the divide.

  6. #331
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Dude. You won me over. Now just let me know when the next thinly veiled Klan or Nazi meeting is so we can discuss how the liberals are going to rise up and kill us all.

    Oh and let me know what weapons to hoard.

  7. #332
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    I'm 95% sure that all the problems with Twitter censorship could be boiled down to social media's belief that ALGORITHMS CAN DO EVERYTHING, and people taking it personally when it inevitably fucks up, and catches someone they like over something stupid.

  8. #333
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Dude. You won me over. Now just let me know when the next thinly veiled Klan or Nazi meeting is so we can discuss how the liberals are going to rise up and kill us all.

    Oh and let me know what weapons to hoard.
    Ah yes, once again you resort to calling the Jewish Guy a Nazi you bigoted fuck.

    I'm 95% sure that all the problems with Twitter censorship could be boiled down to social media's belief that ALGORITHMS CAN DO EVERYTHING, and people taking it personally when it inevitably fucks up, and catches someone they like over something stupid.
    I'd be more inclined to believe if the tech companies hadn't been caught red handed numerous times. One of the things that they believe Algorithms can do is help advance worldviews they consider ethical.




    For everyone else, I'm continuing to listen to Haidt while I work.

    The speaker is biased as hell but Haidt is a good speaker. He brings a level of professionalism and expertise that is to be expected from a professor at a prestigious university. Although my own business school is highly ranked for the quality of it's professors it still kinda makes me wish I'd opted to do my MBA at NYU if they've got professors like this.

  9. #334
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Ah yes, once again you resort to calling the Jewish Guy a Nazi you bigoted fuck.
    I don't know if you are Jewish or not. All I know is what and who you support and the sorts of meetings you say you go to. I also know from your own mouth how paranoid you are the left is going to attack you. I have to take you at your word right? What? You don't want me to believe you? You don't want me in your organization? According to you I would fit right in. I'm a bigot. What's the problem? I have my own tiki torch and everything.

  10. #335
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Shut up Tony, no one is being a bigot but I can tell you that come off as one of those enlightened centrists who is really right wing af.

  11. #336


    Watching another today.


    Interesting tidbit: Libertarians are both contrarian and display some overlap with autistic personality traits.

  12. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I don't know if you are Jewish or not. All I know is what and who you support and the sorts of meetings you say you go to. I also know from your own mouth how paranoid you are the left is going to attack you. I have to take you at your word right? What? You don't want me to believe you? You don't want me in your organization? According to you I would fit right in. I'm a bigot. What's the problem? I have my own tiki torch and everything.
    I don't believe I've made any such posts. Show me ONE example where I've talked about "going to meetings" or supported white supremacists and I'll concede the points, you deluded boomer.

    The reason why I'm paranoid about the left "attacking me" is because we had a guy here not that long ago who got the shit beat out of him because he was wearing a Trump hat.

    Your own frothing fit of rage doesn't exactly convey the message that "the left is sane and reasonable". You seem to yourself think I'm a vile Nazi who needs to be stopped.

    Shut up Tony, no one is being a bigot but I can tell you that come off as one of those enlightened centrists who is really right wing af.
    They actually are centrist for the most part. It just looks like they've gone far right because you're looking at them from so much further to the left:

    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 26th Sep 2019 at 12:54.

  13. #338
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    "I'm with you there. I'm a bit peeved now because we were having an event near me that I was interested in seeing (led by a famous anti-racist). ANTIFA came in, shut it down while threatening to firebomb the theatre, and was even calling this guy (black guy who convinced over 200 KKK members to leave the Klan) a "White Supremacist". " - You

    This event was not led by a famous anti-racist. It was a racist event the anti-racist guy was going to in order to rebut the racists. He would have been the ONLY anti racist there and he was NOT leading it.

    That's just one thing. It's not as hard to figure you out as you think.

  14. #339
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    The reason why I'm paranoid about the left "attacking me" is because we had a guy here not that long ago who got the shit beat out of him because he was wearing a Trump hat.
    Geez, Tony. You just have some shit luck, don't you? The left wants to beat the shit out of you for, uh, reasons, and the right would beat the shit out of you due to your Jewishness that you keep telling us.

    I'm surprised you even leave the house these days, man.

  15. #340
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    At least there's someone out there who thinks of conservatives:


  16. #341
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: ideally far away
    Hey Tony:

    BOO

  17. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Geez, Tony. You just have some shit luck, don't you? The left wants to beat the shit out of you for, uh, reasons, and the right would beat the shit out of you due to your Jewishness that you keep telling us.

    I'm surprised you even leave the house these days, man.
    A: I lie. My professional persona spouts platitudes about diversity, inclusion, and progress. Any time a right wing subject comes up I refer to it as "problematic" and if a left wing subject comes up I say something about "raising awareness".

    It feels kind of dirty to admit it but I have a family to feed and I have no other choice if I want to keep a roof over their heads.

    B:Tell this guy that it's just paranoia:



    *The person in question is an art gallery owner who was beaten by a group of people because he was wearing the hat.


    "I'm with you there. I'm a bit peeved now because we were having an event near me that I was interested in seeing (led by a famous anti-racist). ANTIFA came in, shut it down while threatening to firebomb the theatre, and was even calling this guy (black guy who convinced over 200 KKK members to leave the Klan) a "White Supremacist". " - You

    This event was not led by a famous anti-racist. It was a racist event the anti-racist guy was going to in order to rebut the racists. He would have been the ONLY anti racist there and he was NOT leading it.
    By your logic 100% of the people attending the 2016 presidential debates were Trump supporters. Also 100% of them were Hillary supporters.

    Do you see why the "you were interested in seeing a debate with a racist present, so therefere you're a Nazi!" argument is something you'd have to have brain damage to seriously believe?


    And I said I would have liked to see Daryl because I have an enormous amount of esteem for him. I'm also fully confident in his ability to de-escalate the rhetoric of actual racists.

    The entire point of that event is to de-program racists. Your inability to see that is a reflection of your fanaticism, not mine.

    Besides which you've got the nature of the event wrong. The guy was going there because the entire event was set up as an exercise in de-escalation. Trying to bring the most radical left and right voices together along with moderating voices like Daryl was the entire point: The event was put on in an attempt to reduce hate

    Heres something you should consider: when you try to call me labels that imply "You deserve imprisonment or death" (being a Nazi) that kind of makes my point for me and is probably going to have the exact opposite effect of persuading people that they're crazy for thinking the left is violent.

    Your rebuttal to my accusation of the left's behavior is to....exhibit the exact behavior that I state the left engages in.


    Hey Tony:

    BOO
    That's an insult, not an argument.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 7th Oct 2019 at 14:10.

  18. #343
    Also note I didn't go, I said it would have been interesting to attend.

    I say that because I fully believe in Daryl...Because he has been so successful at what he does I am willing to take his advice

    https://www.newsweek.com/how-turn-pe...ctivist-667504


    Davis wrote the following instructional guide, if you will, in response to a question asking how to prevent people from turning to racism:

    People make the mistake of forming anti-racist groups that are rendered ineffective from the start because [they] ONLY invite those who share their beliefs to their meetings.

    Provide a safe neutral meeting place
    Learn as much as you can about the ideology of a racist or perceived racist in your area
    Invite that person to meet with your group
    VERY IMPORTANT - LISTEN to that person. What is his/her primary concern? Place yourself in their shoes. What would you do to address their concern if it were you?


    Ask questions, but keep calm in the face of their loud, boisterous posture if that is on display, don't combat it with the same
    While you are actively learning about someone else, realize that you are passively teaching them about yourself. Be honest and respectful to them, regardless of how offensive you may find them. You can let them know your disagreement but not in an offensive manner.

    Don't be afraid to invite someone with a different opinion to your table. If everyone in your group agrees with one another and you shun those who don't agree, how will anything ever change? You are doing nothing more than preaching to the choir.
    When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting, they are talking. They may be yelling and screaming and pounding their fist on the table in disagreement to drive home their point, but at least they are talking. It is when the talking ceases, that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So, KEEP THE CONVERSATION GOING.

    Emphasis on the last part.

    Exactly what do you think is going to happen once you get your way and all the talking is shut down?

    One doesn't need any remarkable level of intelligence to glean from history what the result is. Even a simpleton could read a book and understand that there are no examples where that tactic has been successful aside from complete, genocidal extermination.

  19. #344
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    That's an insult, not an argument.
    No, it's a jump scare.

  20. #345
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Sure Tony. Just in case anyone believes that garbage- http://idavox.com/index.php/2019/09/...ther-speakers/

    I don't have any doubt Daryl has his heart in the right place though he is often used as a dupe by racists. Tim Pool, your hero, is a flat out racist as noted from his youtube site and the fact other racist sites often quote him.

    But go ahead and pretend you are fooling us. I don't care. I mean, hell, it makes you happy and that takes your mind off of the evil liberal totalitarianism beating innocent proud boys up and stuff. Oh wait.

  21. #346
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Was originally going to use a gif, but you just have to have the audio with this.


  22. #347
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    I think Blizzard throwing out a competitor over support for Hong Kong protestors vaguely falls into this topic?

    My thoughts:

    If a business removes you from its platform based on something you said that the business doesn't like, that's the business exercising its freedom of speech.

    If a business removes you from its platform to comply with the laws of a government that outlaws saying what you said, that's said government restricting both of your freedoms of speech.

    The internal policy that Activision-Blizzard cites is a restriction against hate speech, of all things.

  23. #348
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    If a business removes you from its platform based on something you said that the business doesn't like, that's the business exercising its freedom of speech.
    It's entirely within Blizzard's right to remove someone from their competition based upon things they've said. It's their shindig, so they can make up the rules. No one is legally entitled to anything being offered here, nor free from any consequences over anything they say while engaging in what's offered.

    But hey, it's everyone else's right to openly call them a bunch of cowardly bastards for doing what they did, and boycott them in protest. Blizzard isn't free from the consequences of exercising their free speech, either.

    ...and that's free speech in general, folks. The government isn't involved in any of this. It's entirely privately owned corporate entities vs. private individuals, each with their own rights. The spirit of the 1st Amendment has been maintained.

  24. #349
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The government isn't involved in any of this.
    Nonsense. Remember what happened to the company that snuck an Easter Egg into one of their games that merely referenced an anti-Xi meme? The government of China made this happen - they'd come down hard on Blizzard's extensive Chinese presence otherwise. And that makes it a violation of freedom of speech.

    And the fact that they're stretching their authority through a multinational corporation and thereby into other countries is especially disturbing.

  25. #350
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    I think you hit the nail on the head with Blizzard's Chinese presence. Tencent does own 4.9% of Actard, and at the end of the day Blizzard's got a business to maintain and shareholders to kowtow to. They made the decision as a private entity, not as a company acting as an extension of the government, and it's well within their rights even if it's a shitty decision. This issue is at the intersection of capitalism and political relationships, but it's not necessarily a governmental problem - from the USA's side, anyway.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 10th Oct 2019 at 01:55.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •