TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Saber

Level 10,000 achieved

Beat Saber

Y'know what, Beat Saber deserves it's own thread. Not just because talk about it is threatening to monopolize the VR thread, but mainly because it's a strong contender for Game Of The Year.

If you've never heard of this game, imagine Guitar Hero but instead of a guitar you have a couple light sabers which you use to slice up music notes that come flying at you in a Tron-esque setting. It's in VR, and it looks like this.

Yes, it's as fun to play as it looks.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, actual reason I made this thread: I put together a new montage of some of my favourite custom songs!

I also recently installed the CameraPlus mod which makes the monitor-view better(wider FOV, more stable).

If anyone else is playing this on PC and haven't checked out the mods yet, I highly recommend you do. Installation is as easy as downloading this file, running the exe and selecting which mods you wish to install.

Still Subjective
    No metal?

Disappointed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sorry. To make it up, here's a video of someone playing a Rob Zombie song, DARTH MAUL STYLE.

Bad. Ass. :|

Still Subjective
    Nice. I do like Dragula!

How do you make these vids though?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm just capturing mine using nvidia Shadowplay. But videos like the Dragula one requires a more complex setup involving greenscreens and a system called LIV. Here's a great video about it.

No one can best me at 4′33″ in this game.

Level 10,000 achieved

Beat Saber v0.12.0 just got released

Updates:

Added Expert+ difficulty for all songs (standard mode only).
    New fancy sabers.
    New modifiers to spice the gameplay and to add multiplier to your final score.
    'Practice mode' - you can start at any time of the song and also set it's speed.
    Added options to swap sabers, to turn off in-game HUD, to turn off SFX and to reduce note cut debris.
    New in-game UI for song progress, relative score, immediate rank and Full Combo indicator.
    New UI style in menus.
    Added full credits.
    Lights and rendering optimizations.
    Improved performance across the gameplay.
    Basically tons of new stuff and optimizations...
    As usual this breaks the Custom Songs mod, but the modding community has also been quick on it's feet, download and run Beat Saber Mod Manager to get it running again. At least it seems to have been partially fixed, starting the game again I could access my previously downloaded songs, but there doesn't seem to be an option to download new tracks. Might be best to wait a day or two till it's really up-to-date.

In other Beat Saber news the PSVR version was just released, featuring a Campaign mode(that's not in the PC version yet) and an additional 5 original songs, which are PSVR exclusives. (though considering you can mod in any number of new songs you wish in the PC version this feels more like a consolation award for the PSVR crowd) The PSVR version is also labeled as a full release, despite the PC version still being in Early Access, though functionally I'm sure they're pretty much the same, with any new updates surely showing up in both versions.

I've read comments on Steam that complain about the visual changes and the tweaked FOV. Have you noticed anything negative, henke?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not really. The sabers look and sound notably different, but I wouldn't say for the worse.

Level 10,000 achieved
    New montage! Now with more metal. HAPPY NOW, SUBJEFF?

El Shagmeister
    Do 'Painkiller' by Judas Priest. <3

Level 10,000 achieved
    YOU do painkiller by judas priest!

Didn't you get an Oculus Rift as well? BUY BEAT SABER ALREADY!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Beat Saber has gotten a couple additional new licensed songs. A couple weeks ago KNOWER debuted their new single "One Hope" through Beat Saber, and now "POP/STARS" by K/DA has been added as well.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pop-stars-k...all-platforms/

I like some of KNOWER's earlier stuff but this one is meeeeh, the K/DA track however is a real banger that's a lot of fun to play, up there with Beat Saber's original tracks. I'm glad to see that the game has reached such critical mass now that artists are being sucked into it's gravitational pull automatically. Hopefully this means a lot of new tracks are gonna start getting added.

Compared to every other video I've seen of this game, that seemed like the "extra extra extra easy" difficulty level. Notwithstanding the challenges of performing while playing, it just seems a bit weird to choose to use this as a platform for releasing a song, but then show such sedate gameplay. (The totally unrelated advertising embedded at the end of the music also means that I now dislike everyone involved in that video by association.)

Level 10,000 achieved

The 0.13.0 Update just got released last week!

It's finally here - we proudly present you our biggest update ever! What's inside? Let's start with 3 main parts:
    -Single-player Campaign mode with 51 missions including various objectives for you to clear and progress through!
    -5 great new songs from our OST Vol. 2 with all difficulties from Easy to Expert+ including No Arrows mode!
    -"Monstercat Music Pack Vol. 1" – our very first music pack is here! It comes with 10 new songs which are now available for purchase as an additional content to the game.

Additionally, this update comes with:
    -Ghost Notes modifier.
    -No Arrows modifier.
    -New UI style in menus.
    -Obstacle core is hidden in LIV camera.
    -Lighting fog is reflected in mirrors now.
    -Optimized rendering and many small graphic improvements.
    Just played a bit of the campaign and some of the new songs. The campaign feels more aimed at new players, as it starts off on a series of Easy tracks, so kinda dull for longtime players. Played 2 of the new songs, "Rum & Bass" and "Unlimited Power", both great. I also noticed some graphical improvements, there's some new light particles that trail behind your saber after smashing through blocks and it's very pleasing.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't label this as the Full Release, but apparently they feel there are still significant updates to come so they're sticking with the Early Access label.

In other news the game just passed 1 million copies sold. Not bad for a 3-man indie team.

edit: oh, also, it's coming to the Oculus Quest.

I gotta say, this could be it. Beat Saber on a reasonably affordable stand-alone VR headset? This could be the killer app. This could be what truly takes VR into the mainstream.
    Last edited by henke; 18th Mar 2019 at 15:06.

Depending on how much it costs and how it reviews, I might get an Oculus Quest. My wife loves Beat Saber and Beat Saber is definitely a great app to sell the thing. Give me that, Super Hot and Google Earth and I will convert both our families into VR addicts.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Been playing a lot of Beat Saber lately, including going through the campaign. I was stuck for weeks on level 29(out of 31), which is beating Expert-level Rum N' Bass with a score of at least 400 000. This morning I managed to do a full combo on it but still only had a ~399 000 score by the end. After that I reconfigured my Oculus sensor-setup, replayed the level, and finally beat it, despite even getting a few misses. Turns out my somewhat dodgy-setup meant the game wasn't registering the full force of my swings.

After that the final 2 levels were a breeze.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Been going through a lot of the user-made playlists lately (Songs with Fantastic Flow Vol. 1-4 are worth checking out), and this is my fave custom track recently:

(performed here by someone with smoother moves than I)

I saw the hype and ignored it mostly, then a friend of mine showed up to a party with his Oculus Quest and I tried it out. My kids really wanted to play so I bought it for my Vive and I'm not disappointed. I'll have to check out these mods. I keep thinking this will be the way I'll finally listen though all of "The Acts" from the Dear Hunter. I wish putting a custom song in were as easy as it used to be with Audiosurf.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Speaking of custom tracks, I've started making custom tracks!

For my first track, I adapted one of my fave videogame tunes of the year, "Free Money" from Pikuniku.

The editor is quite intricate, you gotta set up all the lighting and background animation in addition to mapping out the beats.

VA, if you really want autogenerated maps, check out AudioShield. Tracks generated by the computer are never as fun as those made by people tho.

Nice job, henke! How long did it take you to do the level, start to finish?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Maybe 1-2 hours. It's a short level but I did a lot of testing to find sequences that felt good to play. A lot of the times I'd map something out that looked pretty good in the editor, but once you play it it's immediately apparent it doesn't feel right.

Also working on a couple more tracks.

I've started to mess around with the level editor myself. One thing that I found out early is that the Test level button plays the whole song, and I haven't found a way to exit the level early. I wanted to see if I'd gotten a decent opening 30 seconds, and it was frustrating to have to let the next 2 1/2 minutes play out. Am I missing something, or do you have to listen to the whole song every time you test the level?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Are you using the official level editor? Not sure if there's even a way to share maps made with that. I'm using Mediocre Mapper, which is very powerful, tho also filled to the brim with memes.

If you're gonna delve into it I highly recommend watching the tutorials by BennyDaBeast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast