TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts...

Ultima III was my first, Ultima V was my favorite. Ultima VI kinda turned me off to the series; never played Ultima VII, lol. The way people talked about it at the time sounded an awful lot like "VI, only more so". V basically peaked the "old" Ultima mechanics, VI was something...different.

Something different, and something better. It is the first game in the series I can call simulationist.

Well I'll bridge the gap between the two of you and say that Ultima V and Ultima VII (esp with Serpent Isle included) are my favorites. I think.

Ultima III: fond memories for it being my first non-arcadey video game and for the treasured memory of my dad leading me into Ultima and into RPGs in general... but it wasn't my favorite Ultima. I don't think.

Every so often I get a hankering to use my metal detector for things other than finding where quarters are in my grandchildren's esophagus's. Esophogusi? Anyway I got such an urge today and walked into the pasture to see if I could find more evidence of general De Bienville's (SP?) encampment. I was hoping for a musket ball or button. I have told of my finding a puddle of lead and my imagining of the hurried forming of lead balls.

This time I wandered over to where a house had been a hundred or so years ago and got a strong reading right off. It turned out to be a part of a brass horse harness. Interesting but I think of a later era than seventeenth century French persuasion. Or perhaps not. Was brass used then? I have no idea. At any rate I am thorough and considerate. After finding it I scanned for other bits less literal and hit upon a bell shaped tag which was an advertising pin for a quack "cure" of the patent medicine wagon huckster era. It was for Dr. Bells Pine Tar Honey. A cough remedy around the turn of the nineteenth to twentieth century.

This is a lucky day. Most times it's nails, ax heads, and assorted aluminum. As I said though, I am considerate. I always fill my divots. No cow shall have a turned ankle on my account. That was when I found my bestest most lovely find. An Indian arrow head. Crumbling the dirt into the hole with my hands as a final archaeological sifting, I felt it and could hardly believe but there it was. Not Bienville's accoutrement but his enemy's. True, it could have been deposited anytime before or shortly after but what if it fell out of a quiver near the river that night? Sure, it might be an errant fling at a deer never found. But what if it wasn't? What if a Chickasaw never saw it fall as he watched the campfires of those troops? I don't care. That is the way it is in my mind. And in my mind he is my kin, my great great grandfathers great great grandfather a stones throw from my house so long ago.

Of course after such luck on my first hole I never lucked again today but the archaeologist in me sings and dances.

Cool little vein of gold on the left side no?
    Last edited by Tocky; 18th Feb 2023 at 22:15. Reason: Not enough greats.

Dave from Saving Able came by to see the old gang where I work today. Turns out being a rock star is everything it's cracked up to be. He had just got back from a Japan tour. We talked for three hours just the two of us before the other guys made it back for this pic. He told me about Anne Wilson, Lizzy Hale, Joe Bonamassa, man, he has rubbed shoulders with rock gods at this point.

And yes, women do throw themselves at rock stars with their legs open. Everything he said was halfway between brag, awe, and confusion.

I have had today several happenings which were presaged. I know I've spoken of having lived this life before but I don't really believe it and I know you don't. But then I have days where I know the script as I often did in my youth. And it isn't an easy script to guess either. I won't bother with all the things which I knew would happen as they did but two stand out because of how unlikely they were. My boss, Jay, comes into my office quite often with the strangest shit he has seen on the internet and we discuss how fucking odd the world is when work isn't intruding on our fucking the day right off. It goes quicker when you are fucking right off.

Anyway, he says he has just seen where Opra and Sandra Bullock have been promoting a skin cream and I will never guess what it is made of. I knew. I never saw or heard a thing about it in any way prior but I knew. It was so crazy to say I almost didn't say it but I did anyway. Foreskins. He was blown away that I guessed. I pretended to be as well. I acted as if my mind was just as blown but it was the way this whole day has gone. It's not as if I can do anything to change a day I recall or feel or however I do it. I just read the script. No matter how messed up that script is I still say the words. I have no idea if what he told me was even true. I'm sure as hell not going to Google baby foreskins and find out, but he said I guessed right and acted as if he was amazed. It was a damn good act if it wasn't real.

Another was while watching "The Keeper of the Flame" on TCM with my wife. I said a line with the same inflection as Tracy before he said it. It wasn't just the line. It was the inflection which I matched before he said it without ever having watched this movie. There were other smaller things which I knew and mimicked throughout the day and one to start the day that was annoying as hell just because I knew and could do nothing about but those two were so unlikely. Why this day was remembered is beyond me to know but it was. I can say it's bullshit and so many strange coincidences but damned if I don't feel I'm right on track and this one happened before.

I can't be the only one. Surely you have done similar and felt the oddity of recalling a day just before it happens.

Oh and here is pic of me and Kev, my old bud who came to visit about a month ago just because. It's of our initials we carved in the old Toccopola post office when we were seventeen. God what a wonderful age. No way I would have guessed back then that we would be these old geezers pointing to them so take that predestination!

[IMG][/IMG]

Or would I? I don't want to know.
    Last edited by Tocky; 9th Jun 2023 at 22:50.

Well I've found another rabbit hole to go down. Horror posters have quadrupled in price lately so I don't buy those like I used to. It's good in that the ones I own are worth way more than I paid but mostly bad in that I can't get the few I don't have for a decent price anymore. So I've been buying screen used movie props. Some go for thousands but some are remarkably affordable. A sword from Zena Warrior Princess for under a hundred? Yes please.

It's hit and miss. A lot, like Samuel Jacksons outfit in Pulp Fiction is way pricey. Twenty thousand pricey. But an extra helmet from the epic movie Alexander? A tad over a hundred. And my baby got me one for my birthday. I suppose it's a bit goofy of me to collect hats and head gear but now when we watch the battle scenes I can say "Look! There's my helmet!" and "There it is again!" and "ooooooo he took a good lick on that one! I wonder if that's how the chin strap got broken" which of course means everything in the world. So much depends upon the red wheel barrow.

Anyway you all likely think I'm a goof and that is a dead on assessment but I don't care. Here is a pic of me in the helmet. It's even within the realm of possibility that Angelina Jolie stroked the knob at some point.

Here it is in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky
    I saw that and thought if you had GBM on the other side of that window, you'd make quite a pair.

I love that you guys went back to revisit a moment like that from your youth. I've been longing to do something like that ever since I lost my dad. And 17 was a good age for me too - a lot of freedom and little burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post

Another was while watching "The Keeper of the Flame" on TCM with my wife. I said a line with the same inflection as Tracy before he said it. It wasn't just the line. It was the inflection which I matched before he said it without ever having watched this movie. There were other smaller things which I knew and mimicked throughout the day and one to start the day that was annoying as hell just because I knew and could do nothing about but those two were so unlikely. Why this day was remembered is beyond me to know but it was. I can say it's bullshit and so many strange coincidences but damned if I don't feel I'm right on track and this one happened before.
    You’re a storyteller, as in you know how stories work, and you weren’t born yesterday, watch enough and read enough and you can predict lines like magic sometimes. I’ve done it a few times I can remember, and probably others I don’t… Pattern recognition of tropes and character archetypes will do that for you. It’s a cool trick if you can master it

It doesn't feel like that. For all the world it feels like remembering. Sometimes it's just a feeling. Like Friday I was late for work and I had been feeling that something bad was going to happen since I saw a couple of guys in the pasture across from me. It's always been an absentee owner situation. Not anymore. The guys wife left him so he decided to come live in the country. What is the thing that all city people do when they move to the country? They try to make a place look like the sterile landscape they came from. But I was late. When I came home I found this-

This is what it was before-

Did I know? In that way that you ignore what you know I did. I didn't want to think he would do this. What sort of idiot sees a beautiful country lane and thinks "if I screw this up it will be great!"? I think I know why his wife left him now. And worse. I know he will put up one of those Mc- mansions. He will make certain it will be seen from all sides. I have had dreams where I stood in that road looking through a tunnel of trees at the moonlight. Remember my drawing? He has no concept of what is beautiful and I will hate him. I already do.

But LOL, I would love to see someone photoshop GBM into that post office window.

I was just thinking today that since I just got laid off from work yesterday that I now have time to go for longer walks and to play some video games. I also thought, very randomly, that I should begin my job search but that was a nasty intrusive thought that I quickly made go away.

A FB contact of mine posted something about online outrage and the media that got me thinking: Media bias isn't just about pushing a misleading narrative or view of reality. It's about getting people outraged and riled up, so they share the story, drive clicks, and give prominence to said media source.

E.g. It's easy to get outraged about some X cause protesters getting beaten by riot police, if you're not told that they tore up a neighbourhood earlier in the day.

And here's the thing, most media sources do it. The right wing ones are more likely to just make stuff up based on sketchy claims, while the 'liberal' ones will leave out key details that could completely rewrite an event (the right wing ones do the same).

Even BBC that I used to trust the most for objectivity, had some misleading stories over the years.

Sadly, media objectivity is impossible to enforce. You can force a media house not to make up stories out of thin air, but you can't control how they'll frame a factual story, what they'll leave out, etc.

And even when a story is bogus, once it's gone viral the cat is out of the bag, and the damage is done, which is what they want. Any rebuttals or refutations that come after will fall on deaf ears.

I'm just hanging on for five more years. If I'm honestly needed I'll come in for a while after. I thought of working some simple job when this one seemed on the verge of ending but I did like I always do and waited to see what would happen. Now my days are the easiest of my career. I make tickets. I make work orders. I answer the phone. I talk to customers. Sometimes I unload a truck or cut glass. Mostly I sit at my desk with my feet up waiting for something to happen. But if I had to I could get some sort of job to tide me over. You can too mxleader. If you aren't too afraid of your application being accepted.

Manufactured outrage is what sells. We let plain old news telling die back in the last century. Or at least when Trump began labeling real news fake news and fake news real. From now on we will have to weed out where we are being led to discern the truth. We will have to know where we are being led and why.

As for me, I was right. He took down all the trees along the highway on the other side of him now. He wants his brick monstrosity seen from all sides. I had hoped to live out my days in wooded obscurity. Now I can be seen from the main road. Life never just lets us slip by. It always has to fuck with us.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    I was just thinking today that since I just got laid off from work yesterday that I now have time to go for longer walks and to play some video games. I also thought, very randomly, that I should begin my job search but that was a nasty intrusive thought that I quickly made go away.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope it wasn't a complete surprise.

Were you working from home? I imagine it will be harder to find the motivation if you were, since it's not as big of a lifestyle change. You get a phone call, your computer locks up, and you send it back in a box. And then you wake up the next day and it's business as usual, except no business today so you just fill the hours with casual time.

How's the job market where you live? Around here, everyone's working but people aren't jumping around for raises like they were a year or two ago.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sometimes, at the end of a long bout of exercise, usually when I'm supine on the floor in the post-workout stretching bit, I stare up at the ceiling and wish some warm and benevolent deity would slide its hands into my chest and scoop out my soul, too long nestled in its too-tight cradle, and let it slip loose into the space between now and forever, to let it wend along some star-dimmed ethereal stream threshing with every other spirit as existentially tired as I am in that moment. This entire train of thought lasts only a second, but at the end of that second there descends upon me a sense of composure I don't otherwise have ready access to.

I also usually try to hold in a fart during those moments. Correlation and causation? Maybe. Note to self: eat less beans.

Well that's a mood.

Some of the moments I most cherish are when I take a walk on an overcast late afternoon down some neon lit street, best if early spring or late autumn with some breeze and earphones on playing some kind of chill electronica like CMA, Carbon Based Lifeforms, or Ascendant. I'll feel almost disembodied like a pure cloud of consciousness drifting through the scene. Easy to see why this video spoke to me.

Somewhat related to your mention of neon lit streets.

I prefer the old amber sodium street lamps. Most places are replacing them with harsh white LED's, often twice as bright and almost fluorescent, and it ruins the nightscape. Especially when they're used in historic and heritage areas. I understand that LED's are more efficient, but considering that nice, amber LED's do exist (the city I live in actually uses them in its old town and they look great), governments should have implemented those instead and considered aesthetics instead of pure functionalism. Just because you can light everything up like a hospital, doesn't mean you should. If not amber led's, at least lower the brightness.

A village in Portugal. Look how off putting that looks. Considering just one of these can probably light a whole city block, why would you put a ton of them in a small stretch???

Rome (local residents have actually complained)

Last edited by Azaran; 10th Aug 2023 at 19:37.

It's a testament to my years of Thief mapping that I'm immediately thinking about lowering the lighting placement, radius, and brightness on both aesthetic and gameplay grounds. Over saturation is for sure a way to kill an atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It's a testament to my years of Thief mapping that I'm immediately thinking about lowering the lighting placement, radius, and brightness on both aesthetic and gameplay grounds. Over saturation is for sure a way to kill an atmosphere.
    Right? Looking like light_bright over here

I grew up with blue sodium lights which gave an other worldly feel to the night. Me and my buds out at 2:00 AM up to some mischief knowing everyone was asleep. By that time of night any dragging had been done, any dates over, maybe we had been playing pool at Pervis Pool Hall in Oxford or maybe we were camping at Jackies lake but we often came back to this little one store and post office town to finish off the last beers rattling in the cooler while Bad Company played on someones radio. Another world in another time. Nothing stays the same.

I would like to see it again. Isn't that what happens in Buddhism? You only get to move on from this life when you gain ultimate enlightenment? You get to move on out into the stars and become one with the universe like Sulphur if he can hold in the fart long enough? Something like that. I don't want the universe though. I would settle for how it used to be. Even recently. "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone". He is going to put up lights all around his house. I can feel it. I've thought of letting my central Wisteria go and the creeping vines along the ground make it all the way to the edge of the yard and build a fence there for them to climb and block him out. I've let them go enough to do other things like this-

An old daybed made a nice trellis gateway. I don't know. I'll think of something if he keeps trying to let too much of the world in. It's not that I can't appreciate cities. I remember Waterloo station and how it felt to walk around London by myself with nobody to guide me. Often the best happenstances occur that way. But when I'm home I want a cocoon of green and the feeling the world can't find me.

Chakat sex pillow
    Joni Mitchell or Counting Crows?*

I prefer the sickly sodium vapours myself, they've always felt romantic from far off and more and more jaundiced the closer you got, until you were right under one, standing in a circle of honeyed light drenching the wafts of street smoke and your skin with something intangibly warm yet cloying; a perfect marriage, if you ask me.

I've always wanted to live out in the greens, but having always been a city person, I have no doubt I would be felled by a surprise flying snake, the sudden lack of WiFi, or my inability to perform any sort of structural maintenance. A sprawling backyard is a fantastic replacement, though.

*heh

And then there's the Purple Haze LED street lights infesting many urban centers. This is due to the failure of a phosphorous coating which is failing. If I understand it correctly, the coating boosts the whiteness, allowing for lower electrical consumption.

What is the thing that all city people do when they move to the country? They try to make a place look like the sterile landscape they came from.
    I hear you, Tocky. The bedroom communities adjacent to Victoria BC, are desperate to expand their populations. They advertise a rural lifestyle with easy access to green space, parks and unspoiled wild vistas. To accommodate the ravenous crowds, they are consuming green space, parks and unspoiled wild vistas at a catastrophic rate, denuding forested hills and even blowing them up to create level ground for industrial parks.

This despite the abundance of previously developed, neglected, marginal land, available for redevelopment. Add to this, zero effort to address the infrastructure needs (water, sewage, electricity, roads, medical services....) and you have a population disaster approaching at breakneck speed.

But hey, Pave Paradise, am eye rite?

Joni. And hey, this isn't Australia, we don't have flying snakes or venomous butterflies yet, just copperheads who know enough to sneak off while you go get a hoe.

The thing is, I thought I was IN the marginal, neglected land. When farming died, or at least the typical 300 acre family farm, folks moved to bigger towns. That left fields to grow over with wild flowers and trees to claim the fence line. It's like the hedgerows of England but thinner and taller even when there are field cows to graze. All those years I paid the extra gas to go to work (okay work actually paid that) or to shop in order to be away from barren yards with cookie cutter brick houses and now they move out to me. This isn't the first one, it's just the closest, and this guy thinks everyone going by on the main road should see his and because of that now I can see the main road from MY front door. He worked all his life to show off his no imagination two story pointless square footage monster which he will get to live in 10 to 20 years before he dies. I bet the motherfucker puts those faux collums on the front of it.

And he took down so many oaks it breaks my heart. Just ripped them down with a bucket crane. Here I am mowing around purple wild flowers and ferns and there he is balding nature so everyone can see how well off he is for a few years. Fuck me. How the hell did podunk little Toccopola become fashionable? I can't fathom it.

I'm well aware I sound like the couple that wanted the house on the lake in the movie What About Bob. Had they ever been willing to sell it to me or to my neighbor to the other side then it would just have cows in it now. But I like to think I wouldn't cheer if it blows up... at least without knowing whether they got out or not.

$100. CDN says he'll name his estate "The Oaks" or "Wild Field" or some similar shit.

I very much agree about the trend with street lights. The old high efficiency, low pressure sodium vapour lamps only emit the sodium D lines around 590nm, which are not seen by most wildlife. And the soft, monochromatic light gives environments a different and distinct nighttime character. Switching from low pressure sodium lamps to high pressure sodium lamps gave us some color vision, but at the expense of efficiency, and created more light pollution because they emit a broader spectrum and the peak emission line is yellow-green. Replacing them with full-spectrum LEDs would be totally wrong. Amber LEDs are probably safer for illuminating major roads and intersections, but 590nm LEDs are better for parks and residential areas.

Related to this, one of my pet peeves is people who live in very low crime suburbs and rural areas but insist on lighting up their property like an auto dealer's lot.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast