TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halloween 2018 thread - Let's play some scary/horror games

I picked up Resident Evil 7. I may have not finished a RE game since RE 4, but this one looks quite interesting + it's 35% off.

Doesn't look like anyone has picked up Vampyr or Call of Cthulhu. While the reviews are a bit mixed for both of them I'm surprised that no-one has played them yet.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, I picked up Vampyr a while ago. Its introductory narration made my face contort into a paroxysm of delight, because the last time I'd heard something so redolent of finest limburger was in Castlevania: SotN's confrontation with Dracula. It's sadly po-faced outside of that, and there's inexplicable frame drops in a major location that put me off of it for the time being.

I figured the Marine campaign from AvP 1999, a game I'd never played (despite loving its sequel), would be a good Halloween game.

Instead the late-90s FPS design means I am sprinting through corridors at 20mph while orchestral music presumably from Aliens plays in the background (seemingly without cue- it often blows into bombastic glory when nothing is happening, only to go oddly silent during combat), alternating between blasting similarly-fast aliens and wondering where on earth I'm supposed to go now.

It's fun, but it's less scary Halloween experience and more cocaine-fueled nightmare. Oh well- I might just abandon this and replay the sequel instead, or even the 2012 AvP game, which for all its flaws was still an excellently atmospheric experience.

AvP classic is awesome. I tried the sequel after it and couldn't get into it at all.

AvP 2 was better when it came to singleplayer mods. Was a few to choose from, compared to the first game.

Chakat sex pillow
    Detention turned out to be as accomplished as I was expecting, given its Silent Hill parallels.

At the surface level it's a mechanically simple horror game with amazing audio design and talent dripping off the edges of its dark, collaged art style. The two of those combine for atmospherics in spades while it unspools a relatively low-key story that ends up hitting hard. Like most well-told tales, it knows when to imply instead of spell out, so its understated richness only grows in retrospect (I would urge anyone playing it to look up Taiwan's period of martial law along with some of the religious themes for context). In the end, it's not the dread and dark shapes at the edges of the screen that define it, but the fact that it's a meditation on something deeper: the nature of regret.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 25th Nov 2018 at 04:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12